Stem looks odd - should I be concerned?

Mickies

Background: Blueberry plant, just entering stretch/beginning to flower, 20 gal pot of fox farms ocean forest, alternating feeding 2/3 strength Alaskan fish, and 2/3 strength alaskan morbloom. Every watering. In between waterings we have had some We had real soaker rains, not a ton. I wait till soil is dry plant on verge of wilt before watering

Issue: browning on the main stems (see photos)

Subissue: what the heck are those white dots
IMG_5175.jpeg
IMG_5177.jpeg
IMG_5178.jpeg
IMG_5179.jpeg

hmm could be indicative of greater problem like root rot, fusarium wilt or pythieum (probably hosed spellling)

maybe cover the soil with a tin foil cone or plastic cone to shed water away and let her dry out. Dont make it airtight just enough to cause the bulk of rain to miss the soil

the dots are similar to bark and can even form root nodes if necessary…

im going to ask @Phytoplankton & @Roy Growin to jump in here

what a beauty - really top notch work so far!!!

Background: Blueberry plant, just entering stretch/beginning to flower, 20 gal pot of fox farms ocean forest, alternating feeding 2/3 strength Alaskan fish, and 2/3 strength alaskan morbloom. Every watering. In between waterings we have had some We had real soaker rains, not a ton. I wait till soil is dry plant on verge of wilt before watering

IMG_5175.jpeg
IMG_5177.jpeg
IMG_5178.jpeg
IMG_5179.jpeg
Here was mine kind of looks the same as yours but never had no problems harvester all the way out got over 8 oz

Screenshot_20230728_095407_Chrome.jpg

IMG_5175.jpeg
IMG_5177.jpeg
IMG_5178.jpeg
IMG_5179.jpeg
I would be more concerned with that brown thing than the dots. If you notice it beginning to get droopy, drop leaves or yellowing I would transplant it to some fresh soil. That could be the beginning of root rot. I would be watching it closely. CL🍀 Edit: here’s a few pictures of mine.

IMG_3363.jpeg

IMG_3364.jpeg

IMG_3365.jpeg

IMG_3362.jpeg

Nothing to be concerned about, they are just aerial root nodes
If there was any problem in the root zone it would affect the growing tips first - no sign of that

Agreed.

As for the cause of this, there are many things. I would lean toward the rain and humidity you’ve been experiencing

Agreed.

As for the cause of this, there are many things. I would lean toward the rain and humidity you’ve been experiencing
Many plants show this trait; if you wrapped sphagnum around those nodes they would root - air cuttings, as you would with azalea or ficus

Thank you everyone,

You guys are the best!!! This is my third outdoor grow and learning on each one with the help of this group!!!. It's refreshing not to be treated as noob/plebian. I love growing and am a voracious reader. You got some scary things out there (my buddy has a hemp borer situation).

The plant is vigorous and keeps growing exponentially. In Long island ,NY and beginning to show flowering. Very exciting!!!

Many plants show this trait; if you wrapped sphagnum around those nodes they would root - air cuttings, as you would with azalea or ficus

This trait is where I first heard the word adventitious from.

I’ve seen similar instances in some trees. I don’t remember where it is but, some of the trees roots grow above ground like this, and the local population actually makes bridges out of them. Trees and plants are so cool.

That’s one of the big lessons most newer gardeners should learn. Plants want to live.. They’re gonna fight like hell, and they’ll even try to root in mid air if they can to survive. They don’t need much coddling from us to do their thing. Which means, anything we do should be done with trying to improve the quality of life for the plant, not make basic decisions for it.

Thank you everyone,

You guys are the best!!! This is my third outdoor grow and learning on each one with the help of this group!!!. It's refreshing not to be treated as noob/plebian. I love growing and am a voracious reader. You got some scary things out there (my buddy has a hemp borer situation).

The plant is vigorous and keeps growing exponentially. In Long island ,NY and beginning to show flowering. Very exciting!!!

Yeah this place is unlike any other place on the internet. If someone does seem rude or condescending it’s usually because they don’t even realize they’re being rude or condescending and are quick to apologize. I just saw it happen the other day in a different thread.

The thing about growing is, it doesn’t matter how much you know, there’s always more to learn, and we all still make real basic mistakes. For instance I just knocked over two cups I was trying to germinate while also screwing up my medium ratios 🤣

This trait is where I first heard the word adventitious from.

I’ve seen similar instances in some trees. I don’t remember where it is but, some of the trees roots grow above ground like this, and the local population actually makes bridges out of them. Trees and plants are so cool.

That’s one of the big lessons most newer gardeners should learn. Plants want to live.. They’re gonna fight like hell, and they’ll even try to root in mid air if they can to survive. They don’t need much coddling from us to do their thing. Which means, anything we do should be done with trying to improve the quality of life for the plant, not make basic decisions for it.
It’s more so the browning on the main stem that I’m concerned about not so much the white dots although I know exactly what they are now, I was told the browning was a natural phenomena as the stems mature, but it just looks a little more sinister to me. It does seem, however, that it doesn’t go right to the soil horizon, but is more up on the stem. I don’t think it’s root rot but who the hell knows. That’s why I ask you guys who are the experts and won’t treat me like a moron lol.

Yeah this place is unlike any other place on the internet. If someone does seem rude or condescending it’s usually because they don’t even realize they’re being rude or condescending and are quick to apologize. I just saw it happen the other day in a different thread.

The thing about growing is, it doesn’t matter how much you know, there’s always more to learn, and we all still make real basic mistakes. For instance I just knocked over two cups I was trying to germinate while also screwing up my medium ratios 🤣
He who never made a mistake never made anything
Mistakes are learning from experience - to err once is normal, twice is careless but only doing the same thing again and expecting different results is stupid
And yeah, pretty unique community we got round here; head and shoulders above the other crappy sites

It’s more so the browning on the main stem that I’m concerned about not so much the white dots although I know exactly what they are now, I was told the browning was a natural phenomena as the stems mature, but it just looks a little more sinister to me. It does seem, however, that it doesn’t go right to the soil horizon, but is more up on the stem. I don’t think it’s root rot but who the hell knows. That’s why I ask you guys who are the experts and won’t treat me like a moron lol.

Root rot won’t show above ground like that. It’ll be more like a droopy, unhappy plant that seems to struggle no matter what you do. It won’t be obvious above ground.

Below ground is where you’ll see the roots themselves show it. Brown, mushy roots that often smell and look rotted. Don’t mistake roots being brown from the soil, this is different than being brown from rot. It’s pretty obvious though so if the roots are just discolored, it’s likely not rot.

Nothing to be concerned about, they are just aerial root nodes
If there was any problem in the root zone it would affect the growing tips first - no sign of that
Something that I never seen before or maybe 🤔 just never noticed but I’m happy to hear that it’s nothing. Nothing worse then having a plant dampen off so I figured if it was me I’d be watching for the symptoms. Happy growing. CL🍀

Something that I never seen before or maybe 🤔 just never noticed but I’m happy to hear that it’s nothing. Nothing worse then having a plant dampen off so I figured if it was me I’d be watching for the symptoms. Happy growing. CL🍀

You’ve got em on the plants in the pictures you posted.. They don’t look as pronounced as OPs though

Yeah the white dots but I didn’t notice any of those brown patches. CL🍀

I’m not sure what brown patches you’re referring to.. is it this?

IMG_5589.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom