Strawberry Cough and Bubblegum

Day 5 of Flower

I decided to switch the girls to 12/12 last Sunday, even though I am fighting a fierce battle with Strawberry Cough. I have tried everything I can think of to save her and I believe I have finally figured out what was wrong with her. It appears she was suffering from a severe case of Calcium and Magnesium deficiency, even though the PH level was a perfect 6.8 in soil.

I ran numerous tests on the PH from a soil reading to a water runoff and got mixed results every time. Today I ran a chemical PH test of the soil at the root level and it was still a perfect 6.8, so the water runoff test of below 3.0 is giving me a skewed reading for some reason. Talk about massive confusion, lol.

Here are the latest updates, Strawberry Cough is currently on Life Support but I believe I may be able to save her since I gave her a big boost of Cal-Mag yesterday morning. She is really starting to respond well since the Cal-Mag infusion, this may very well have saved her life, but we'll have to see. Bubblegum on the other hand is going ballistic, although she is starting to show some signs of what just about killed Strawberry Cough. I also gave Bubblegum a big boost of Cal-Mag.

Strawberry Cough

scbg_flower5_1.jpg

scbg_flower5_2.jpg

scbg_flower5_3.jpg

scbg_flower5_4.jpg

Bubblegum

scbg_flower5_5.jpg

scbg_flower5_6.jpg

Is Bubblegum showing her sex?

scbg_flower5_7.jpg

scbg_flower5_8.jpg

scbg_flower5_9.jpg

Some Calcium/Magnesium deficiencies showing on Bubblegum

scbg_flower5_10.jpg

scbg_flower5_11.jpg

Comparison shots of Strawberry Cough and Bubblegum, you can see that Strawberry Cough was hit hard by the Calcium/Magnesium deficiency since both of these plants were started at the same time.

scbg_flower5_1.jpg

scbg_flower5_5.jpg

Until next time :cool:

Day 12 of Flower

Here's the latest update.

I was able to save Strawberry Cough from the dreaded PH imbalance/Calcium/Magnesium deficiency, by adding a boost of PH Up and Cal-Mag to the nute solution. Unfortunately since I started the 12/12 light cycle 12 days ago it also caused Strawberry Cough to stretch significantly before it was ready. Although it is displaying signs of vigorous new growth, it is also displaying signs of a male plant (tall and spindly). I am going to let it go for a while just to see what happens. Bubblegum on the other hand has been on a serious roll since I started 12/12.

Side by Side - Strawberry Cough and Bubblegum

scbg_flower12_1.jpg

Strawberry Cough

You can see there is nice, vigorous growth since I brought the PH in line, and fed it with a good boost of Cal-Mag

scbg_flower12_2.jpg

scbg_flower12_3.jpg

Unfortunately switching to 12/12 before it was ready caused serious stretching

scbg_flower12_4.jpg

Bubblegum

This plant has literally been on fire since switching to 12/12, I have had to raise the lights about 2 inches every day for the past week, impressive to say the least

scbg_flower12_5.jpg

scbg_flower12_6.jpg

scbg_flower12_7.jpg

Still can't determine sex

After switching the light cycle 12 days ago, I still can't confirm the sex of either plant. They definitely stretched like crazy which is to be expected, but their sex still remains unknown. Any help in this area would be appreciated

Strawberry Cough

scbg_flower12_8.jpg

Bubblegum

Although the very top of the plant looks like male seed pods, I have been watching it closely whenever I see these, and they turn out to be shoots of new leaves. Very puzzling indeed

scbg_flower12_9.jpg

More updates as they become available.

;)

Day 18 of Flower

Bad news for Bubblegum, it Hermied on me and I had to yank it. Bummer, this was the best of the two. At this point I would like some advice from anyone who has an opinion.

Situation:

Strawberry Cough is my last plant in this grow, she has been confirmed a Female with no Male pollen.

Decision Time: Should I continue on with this grow or scrap it and start over?

Low Yield is not an issue: If I can salvage a few good buds off her, I don't mind. This has been, and could continue to be a good learning experience for me

Stretch: I started 12/12 when she was 8" tall, she is now 30" tall. How much is this plant going to stretch? lol

Magnesium Defciency: Due to a severe Magnesium deficiency, there are no side branches on this plant, but there are some promising shoots of buds appearing at the internodes

Note: PH balance is critical, but if your plant has a Calcium/Magnesium deficiency, Cal-Mag nutrient supplement is the Gift of the Gods

Here are the latest pictures:

Front View and Top Down

You can ignore the burnt leaves, she stretches 3" every 4 hours and hugs the lights. I'm trying to get her under control but she's a wild one, lol

scbg_flower18_1.jpg

scbg_flower18_2.jpg

scbg_flower18_3.jpg

scbg_flower18_4.jpg

Top Bud and New Bud Shoots

They even look like little Strawberry Flowers, lol

scbg_flower18_5.jpg

scbg_flower18_6.jpg

scbg_flower18_7.jpg

scbg_flower18_8.jpg

I like the shade of Red on the branches, Strawberry is coming through

scbg_flower18_9.jpg

Any feedback or opinions would be appreciated, thanks!

;)

Thanks Haze, I was afraid of that, dang, 2 out of 2 were Hermies? lol

Well I think I'll let it go for a few days to see what happens, but I may end up yanking this one too and starting over.

This overall experience has been good but frustrating at the same time, lol

;)

After giving it some more thought, I decided to yank Strawberry Cough and scrap this grow, it is done. Mods, please move this journal to the abandoned grows.

Maybe I'll try again this fall.

Thanks!

Well if you start a new grow make sure you got your light leaks under control and you don't visit your plants when your lighgts are off. If your not making suprise visits to your garden, I would say you have a light leak. Good luck!

Damn bro. Sorry to hear the news. You'll get it next grow. Not sure if you want to attempt it but I'm in the process of my 1st grow and my Waterfarm plants are doing far better than my soil. They are not as difficult as some may think. You might want to get a few. They're relatively inexpensive as well. I'm gonna update my journal in a bit if you want to see the difference in mine.
Anyhow, good luck on your next grow.

true story, looking at the positives at least you know that potting mix needs some pH adjustments and cal-mag in addition to the other nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom