I'd be forced to use coffee filters but some are using 190 micron paint strainers and I've heard of some very fine metal filters.

I forgot I have paint strainers. Thanks for the memory thump. :high-five: So that means I have many decent options for straining. Cool.

Hello gang, Sue has been helping me make my 1st batch of oil so I thought I share. This is my 1st attempt at any kind of extraction. This is my test run. I used 1 oz of my 1:1 thc/cbd strain. I had this strain tested once before, it was the plant from seed. It tested at 10.6 thc and 11.9 cbd, 23.6 overall. I will get flower re-tested with the oil from this clone.
I baked the flower in the turkey bag in a convection oven at 240 F for 1 hour, I opened the oven door at the end of the hour and let it cool there then put the bag with the flower back in the deep freezer overnight. I also froze my jars. Next I broke up the flower by hand and put it in the mason jar with 151 everclear (I have the good stuff coming next week) and shook it for 3 minutes. I then strained this through a dry sift bag at 73 microns. I repeated this 2 more times, the last wash I only went 2 minutes. After the 3 washes I then strained the oil/solvent mixture through a 25 micron bag and then put the mixture back in the freezer overnight. This is the point I am at now. I was waiting for clarification on the last winterizing step. I guess I don't know why it gets put back in the freezer after extraction if nothing else is done to it after that other than boil off the solvent. The pic of the bag is the 25 micron bag after the last strain. I am not sure if what is left is plant matter or if I lost some resin. Input is welcome!
This is what my oil looks like after all the washes and final strain:
20160409_104243.jpg

And this is the 25 micron bag:
20160409_104816.jpg

So today I will boil off the solvent and put it into 1 ml syringes. I will take it to the lab tomorrow for testing along with the flower that was used.

I want to make some and get it tested.

I only wish I could do the same! Perhaps it'll be legal by the time I harvest my girls and I can, but we'll have to see. If it is then I certainly plan to get an olive oil extraction combined with an SCET tested :)

I did some maths regarding that which you and PsyCro may be interested in. I assumed that 400g fresh material = 850mls olive oil extract and that 1816g fresh material = 454g dried material = 60g CCO by SCET (fresh:dried = 4:1).

Based on those numbers I calculated that if you use 50% of your freshly harvested material for the olive oil extraction and 50% for the SCET extraction of CCO then this should give you a CCO:eek:live oil ratio of 1:64 which is very close to the 1:60 I mentioned using here. If you use 25% for the olive oil extraction and 75% for the SCET extraction of CCO then this should give a CCO:eek:live oil ratio of 1:21 which is very close to 1:20.

My only concern is at what point the olive oil carrier will be saturated and not longer handle any more CCO...

If anyone has some more accurate figures then please correct me and I can update the numbers, it's just a simple spreadsheet :)

Anyway, I'm just thinking about these things for now and hopefully some more experienced people might have some input as to what they think would be a good ratio and why :)

Excellent work Neiko. I haven't yet been able to find anything that would explain to me in simple terms what happens during that last winterizing step, but let's keep it in there until we find a good scientific reason to eliminate it. It hurts nothing to let it freeze for 24 hours and anecdotal evidence suggests it improves taste.

Looking at that jar, I think you did a fine job of keeping the chlorophyll out of the wash. That's a beautiful golden tone you got there. I'm so proud of you and so excited to see the test results. Thank you so much for including that step Neiko. That data will be my first good look at what this extraction method offers, and to be honest, I danced a joyful jig down my hallway when I read that post. :laughtwo:

Looking forward to more updates and +reps for including us in the process.

Seems to me you will need a good 60-70 drops to equal a dose of 'the size of a grain of rice' .. so i figure, maybe 10 drops would be a good starting point?
Anyhow, let us know how it goes! :)

Well, they took one capsule last night and didn't feel anything, today they took one capsule after breakfast, one after lunch, and then two after dinner and still didn't feel anything. Tomorrow they'll take two after breakfast, two after lunch, and then three after dinner. We'll keep going like that until they (hopefully) feel something!

By my calculations each capsule should have around 10-15mg of CCO assuming it's well mixed :)

I only wish I could do the same! Perhaps it'll be legal by the time I harvest my girls and I can, but we'll have to see. If it is then I certainly plan to get an olive oil extraction combined with an SCET tested :)

I did some maths regarding that which you and PsyCro may be interested in. I assumed that 400g fresh material = 850mls olive oil extract and that 1816g fresh material = 454g dried material = 60g CCO by SCET (fresh:dried = 4:1).

Based on those numbers I calculated that if you use 50% of your freshly harvested material for the olive oil extraction and 50% for the SCET extraction of CCO then this should give you a CCO:eek:live oil ratio of 1:64 which is very close to the 1:60 I mentioned using here. If you use 25% for the olive oil extraction and 75% for the SCET extraction of CCO then this should give a CCO:eek:live oil ratio of 21:1 which is very close to 20:1.

My only concern is at what point the olive oil carrier will be saturated and not longer handle any more CCO...

If anyone has some more accurate figures then please correct me and I can update the numbers, it's just a simple spreadsheet :)

Anyway, I'm just thinking about these things for now and hopefully some more experienced people might have some input as to what they think would be a good ratio and why :)

Wow fookinel, you're an amazing study buddy. :high-five: Let's see if anyone has more to offer on the calculations, but wow! Thanks for working that out. You just know, by instinct if nothing else, that the medicinal value of this type of combination is going to be superior, in the same way that whole plant extraction will be superior to one using only buds. It's those enhanced values I'm personally interested in championing, and it's those types of tweaks to the process that are going to give me the results I'm driven to find.

This really has become something of an obsession for me. I see that as a good thing. I have to say it again, thank you all for being here with your brilliant and curious minds. I sense we're on the verge of some profound findings that will benefit others in ways we can't even imagine. Best retirement plan ever, surrounded by the best companions this old gal could hope for. :circle-of-love:

Hello gang, Sue has been helping me make my 1st batch of oil so I thought I share. This is my 1st attempt at any kind of extraction. This is my test run. I used 1 oz of my 1:1 thc/cbd strain. I had this strain tested once before, it was the plant from seed. It tested at 10.6 thc and 11.9 cbd, 23.6 overall.

Thanks for the write up neikodog! :thumb:

What strain did you use with a 1:1 THC:CBD ratio?

Wow fookinel, you're an amazing study buddy. :high-five: Let's see if anyone has more to offer on the calculations, but wow! Thanks for working that out. You just know, by instinct if nothing else, that the medicinal value of this type of combination is going to be superior, in the same way that whole plant extraction will be superior to one using only buds. It's those enhanced values I'm personally interested in championing, and it's those types of tweaks to the process that are going to give me the results I'm driven to find.

No worries Sue! :thumb:

I'm also interested in whole plant extractions. At the moment I'm looking at trying a SOG setup mainly aimed at a large number of plants with a single cola (I hope the terminology is correct, I'm still getting used to it!) as opposed to a small number of plants with many colas. I was hoping that by only having one to put all it's energy in to it may be better in some way. If the whole plant extractions show some interesting results then I may have to rethink my whole grow! I'm having enough trouble deciding on aeroponics vs DWC vs coco + diy smartvalve and now you're going to add even more in to the mix!

This really has become something of an obsession for me. I see that as a good thing. I have to say it again, thank you all for being here with your brilliant and curious minds. I sense we're on the verge of some profound findings that will benefit others in ways we can't even imagine. Best retirement plan ever, surrounded by the best companions this old gal could hope for. :circle-of-love:

:rofl:

Thanks for the write up neikodog! :thumb:

What strain did you use with a 1:1 THC:CBD ratio?

I used AC/DC x Querkle. It is/was a tester strain from TGA Subcool. I don't know if/when it will be released commercially I just got lucky enough to find a shop that carried free testers. I grew out 2 different phenotypes and had them tested. The unkept pheno was a 2:1 thc/cbd ratio. At the time i thought the 1:1 was the way to go but info here suggests otherwise. I am unable to find anymore testers of this strain so 1:1 it is and I will add high thc strains to it in the future to try and achieve that 2:1 ratio for oil.

No worries Sue! :thumb:

I'm also interested in whole plant extractions. At the moment I'm looking at trying a SOG setup mainly aimed at a large number of plants with a single cola (I hope the terminology is correct, I'm still getting used to it!) as opposed to a small number of plants with many colas. I was hoping that by only having one to put all it's energy in to it may be better in some way. If the whole plant extractions show some interesting results then I may have to rethink my whole grow! I'm having enough trouble deciding on aeroponics vs DWC vs coco + diy smartvalve and now you're going to add even more in to the mix!

:rofl:

I would think that whole plant extraction, using multiple small plants of different strains instead of one singular strain would give a higher quality of medicine. I've come across numerous mentions of the value of combining strains to get a more intense synergy going on. So maybe you won't have to rethink as much as you thought.

I just remembered I have seeds to plant. :laughtwo: You guys distracted me right out of bed.

Breakfast Susan. You need fuel to keep going gal. LOL!

Question for the group, how much oil can ethyl or iso dissolve before it is saturated? The reason I ask is, I have done a little experimenting with dissolving dry sifted keif in Ever Clear to reduce the amount of alcohol used. The last chemistry class I had was around 1964 and I was not that interested.

I have several small batches of trim to shake soon, probably next week. I will try to get some pictures of how I am getting the kief out. It is rather simple if you can score the sieves and dry ice.

I never know
canyon

You just know, by instinct if nothing else, that the medicinal value of this type of combination is going to be superior, in the same way that whole plant extraction will be superior to one using only buds. It's those enhanced values I'm personally interested in championing, and it's those types of tweaks to the process that are going to give me the results I'm driven to find.

I actually use some small stems and healthy leaves in my extract.. don't see a reason to not use 'em!

There's a loooot of material in the olive oil to soak up the cannabinoids, i doubt its all that easy to saturate. Heck i've thought about mixing for example several liters of water with one liter of olive oil, and cram as much grass in as possible, give it a good blend, keep mixing, and theoretically you can get waaaaay more cannabinoids into the oil that way, and hence smaller doses. Problem is, i don't know what the optimum decarb time is for 98 degrees celsius, which is the max temp for that method..

edit..
How Long To Decarb In Dehydrator At 115F - Marijuana Edibles and Topicals: - Michigan Medical Marijuana Association

hmmm.. post #17 would indicate about 4 hours for 98 degrees celsius, might try that :D

wow, guess i gots some readin to do

Question for the group, how much oil can ethyl or iso dissolve before it is saturated? The reason I ask is, I have done a little experimenting with dissolving dry sifted keif in Ever Clear to reduce the amount of alcohol used. The last chemistry class I had was around 1964 and I was not that interested.

I have several small batches of trim to shake soon, probably next week. I will try to get some pictures of how I am getting the kief out. It is rather simple if you can score the sieves and dry ice.

I never know
canyon

I have no answers for you Canyon, but I'm very interested in seeing your extraction techniques. Every little cannabinoid helps. :battingeyelashes:

Interesting stuff, thanks guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks sshamish, and :welcome: to the study hall. Please, don't hesitate to jump right in with any comments or shares. If there's something in particular that you'd like to see explored we're all ears.

I actually use some small stems and healthy leaves in my extract.. don't see a reason to not use 'em!

Good to hear PsyCro. Quite frankly, I'm surprised it's not more common. I suppose it's tied to the high cost of solvents and years of looking at the plants as a source of the flowers alone.

There's a loooot of material in the olive oil to soak up the cannabinoids, i doubt its all that easy to saturate. Heck i've thought about mixing for example several liters of water with one liter of olive oil, and cram as much grass in as possible, give it a good blend, keep mixing, and theoretically you can get waaaaay more cannabinoids into the oil that way, and hence smaller doses. Problem is, i don't know what the optimum decarb time is for 98 degrees celsius, which is the max temp for that method..

edit..
How Long To Decarb In Dehydrator At 115F - Marijuana Edibles and Topicals: - Michigan Medical Marijuana Association

hmmm.. post #17 would indicate about 4 hours for 98 degrees celsius, might try that :D

And one more process to add to the list of things to someday get tested. That list keeps getting longer. :laughtwo:

And one more process to add to the list of things to someday get tested. That list keeps getting longer. :laughtwo:

hehe, believe it or not, i have a fresh run cooking at the moment, and a small pot next to with a fifth of the oil i would normally use on 20 grams of fresh stuff.. and plenty of water :D
Possibly not the best way with such a small amount, because the oil doesn't even cover the water completely.. but we shall see !

I never know
canyon
Hey Canyon , I recently added an extra 1/4 cup of dry kief to my last CCO batch to get more oil while saving alcohol. Just be sure to monitor the cook off of the alcohol since you will have to remove it from the heat source a lot sooner then you normally would. I believe the reason was, is that I had to much oil now "suspended" into the alcohol. I really had to agitate and swish it around sooner then I normally would because it started to "burn"(and I only use low heat 185-200). I think this is a reason why you need to use a certain parts of alcohol to a certain parts of material. I will not add any extra kief unless I am going to add extra alcohol. If ya want to save Alcohol and still have the finest quality oil I suggest the SCET method(my method of choice) and use COffee filters with 6-8 jars and funnels, the quicker you can filter and get back into the freezer the less chance of chlorophyll and plant waxes dissolving back into your oil. I will use over 50 coffee filters when filtering 200 gram batches. You will get a cleaner & purer final product. I tried mesh screens , micro screens etc...I just found the coffee filters better, it is just a longer process but better. Also for neiko dog I would definitely filter what you have into the pic at least 2 more times. I filter my dry material then put back into the freezer for 6-8 hrs(may not take that long) to allow all sediment to settle back to the bottom, be gentle when you filter the 2nd time since you do not want to agitate sediment. Have a separate jar and funnel for the last little bit to pour in. After you filter for the final time I put back into the freezer for a bit to make sure there is no more sediment suspended. I will pour carefully into my cooker and use a filter for my remaining cup full out of each jar to be sure I eliminate all sediments. And the oil comes out Fabulous!:thumb:......Yes SWEETUM'S you can reformat that for me:laugh::circle-of-love: But hey! each for their own!:laugh::peace:

Well, since you gave me permission, let me make that easier to read. :laughtwo: I'll have to give you reps for this valuable share.

Hey Canyon , I recently added an extra 1/4 cup of dry kief to my last CCO batch to get more oil while saving alcohol. Just be sure to monitor the cook off of the alcohol since you will have to remove it from the heat source a lot sooner then you normally would. I believe the reason was, is that I had to much oil now "suspended" into the alcohol. I really had to agitate and swish it around sooner then I normally would because it started to "burn"(and I only use low heat 185-200).

I think this is a reason why you need to use a certain parts of alcohol to a certain parts of material. I will not add any extra kief unless I am going to add extra alcohol. If ya want to save Alcohol and still have the finest quality oil I suggest the SCET method(my method of choice) and use COffee filters with 6-8 jars and funnels. The quicker you can filter and get back into the freezer the less chance of chlorophyll and plant waxes dissolving back into your oil. I will use over 50 coffee filters when filtering 200 gram batches. You will get a cleaner & purer final product.

I tried mesh screens , micro screens etc...I just found the coffee filters better, it is just a longer process but better.

Also for neiko dog I would definitely filter what you have into the pic at least 2 more times. I filter my dry material then put back into the freezer for 6-8 hrs(may not take that long) to allow all sediment to settle back to the bottom. Be gentle when you filter the 2nd time since you do not want to agitate sediment. Have a separate jar and funnel for the last little bit to pour in.

After you filter for the final time I put back into the freezer for a bit to make sure there is no more sediment suspended. I will pour carefully into my cooker and use a filter for my remaining cup full out of each jar to be sure I eliminate all sediments. And the oil comes out Fabulous!

:thumb:......Yes SWEETUM'S you can reformat that for me:laugh::circle-of-love: But hey! each for their own!:laugh::peace:

Back
Top Bottom