I'll be keeping a close eye on this Susan. I'm very interested to know how this turns out. I can't wait to dabble in the excitement of CCO!!

+ Reps for testing the depth of the water with both feet :thumb:

Thanks Pigeons. I don't know how to do life any other way than to jump right in. :laughtwo: I'm going to try to document it as thoroughly as I can, so if there's something you all notice I don't show and you want to see, please let me know. If I don't get it documented this time I will the next batch. This is my test run.

I can't wait to try the oil. Recreationally, I mean. It feels rather indulgent to be dabbling in CCO. My first exploration into concentrates.

Sue,
Is the 190 proof not sold there? It would be a better choice. I don't know what the MB procedure involves, so a walk through would be greatly appreciated. I am having trouble picturing how they are recapturing the alcohol. If you can time it correctly what you recover should be above the original 151 proof mark.

Also, what is the max capacity of MB machine?

Save a little grain for clean up and lick your fingers.

Best
canyon

Sue,
Is the 190 proof not sold there? It would be a better choice. I don't know what the MB procedure involves, so a walk through would be greatly appreciated. I am having trouble picturing how they are recapturing the alcohol. If you can time it correctly what you recover should be above the original 151 proof mark.

Also, what is the max capacity of MB machine?

Save a little grain for clean up and lick your fingers.

Best
canyon

I'm not using the MB2 Canyon. I purchased an essential oil distiller that I'll be using to reclaim the alcohol. Pennsylvania restricts the sale of anything over 151 proof. I know what I'll get out of the distiller will be higher proof than what I put in. I'll have to be alert for the timing to turn it off before the solvent gets too low. Don't want to burn it now, do I?

Thank you for getting me up to speed Sue. I will be keeping a close eye on this one. What are the uses for the concentrate you collect? Do you smoke it? Vape?
CCO can be administered any number of ways. I plan to try a variety of methods Canna. Part of what I'm attempting here is to determine best methods of dosing, so I need to try some out. I'll be exploring tacking, though I'm fairly certain that if I'm dosing in the oral cavity it won't be with tacking but will be sublingual. I can't see how tacking could be more effective than sublingual. I need to try both to see just exactly what goes on though.

CCO is a way to get massive numbers of cannabinoids into the system. I'll even be working up some topicals and tinctures. I've some skin issues that my brother shares and I'm hoping to get his face cleared up before he moves this summer.

ShiggityFlip has a thread on making a concentrate for vape pens, if you're interested.

No, drop a little on top of a bowl of your DD and fire it up, that is indulgent.

Have fun girl, you have earned it.
canyon

Thank you for that marvelous idea Canyon. I'll have to clip another bud in anticipation of just such an event. :laughtwo:

Montana,
All of the above. Also something called dabbing. It involves a nail. That is the teaser.

Sue on the other hand, is also looking into other options for ingestion. And maybe, just maybe, she will fire some up.

best

Maybe, just maybe I will now. Lol! You get reps for that idea Canyon. :battingeyelashes: :love:

I like this thread guys! I've been wanting to try dabs, but they are not readily available here. I've seen people smoke it on YouTube, so I know how it's done.
My next question is, how would a person turn the oil collected into a dab?

This I can't answer for you. Someone else will have to chime in, and then we can learn together. I have a pen I can use for consumption, but I have no idea yet what to do with it.

I like this thread guys! I've been wanting to try dabs, but they are not readily available here. I've seen people smoke it on YouTube, so I know how it's done.

Put the oil in a heated vacuum chamber...

Put the oil in a heated vacuum chamber...

Not a piece of equipment one has laying around in the typical kitchen. :laughtwo:

I went looking, and they're some interesting options, but not something I'll be playing with anytime soon. I'm in the process of eliminating possessions. Trying not to purchase anything that isn't consumable for the next six months.

Montana,
The oil works rather well just putting it on top of flowers and smoking it. Another is to wipe out the leftovers with a few buds. The oil does not have to be taken down to shatter to smoke it. Though, just letting it air out for a few days will harden it up some.

I have also soaked buds in the thinner concentrates and let them air dry.

The rigs that require large torches defiantly give more of a shock hit and what I can best describe as clean high. Be warned, you can go through a fifty dollar gram of shatter a lot quicker than you would think. Making your own is the way to go if you want to do very much.

Best,
canyon

Montana,
The oil works rather well just putting it on top of flowers and smoking it. Another is to wipe out the leftovers with a few buds. The oil does not have to be taken down to shatter to smoke it. Though, just letting it air out for a few days will harden it up some.

I have also soaked buds in the thinner concentrates and let them air dry.

The rigs that require large torches defiantly give more of a shock hit and what I can best describe as clean high. Be warned, you can go through a fifty dollar gram of shatter a lot quicker than you would think. Making your own is the way to go if you want to do very much.

Best,
canyon
Thanks for all the help and great info. I'll be trying that one of these days too. We have so many things we want to try, but haven't harvested yet. Lol. Patience is not something I'm good at. Have a great day, and thanks again.

The Adventure Continues

Step Two: The Washes

After acquiring an adequate amount of plant material, decarbing and freezing everything in advance of beginning it's on to the washes, the systematic dismantling of the trichomes from the plant material. The high proof alcohol will strip the trichomes right off. The higher the proof the better. Unfortunately, I can't get the preferred highest proof and had to settle for Everclear 151.

Three washes of three minutes each will suffice. The timing is critical here, so being prepared means doing a dry run, if only in your mind. In the end it was simplicity itself.

Get the solvent and plant material out of the freezer and combine. You want enough solvent to cover the plant material. I went with about an inch deeper.

image10828.jpeg

Hit the timer for three minutes and start gently swirling the plant material, envisioning all those trichomes breaking free and washing away into the vortex. :laughtwo:
image10829.jpeg

Quickly grab the drain jars and dump the contents of the wash jar into the coffee filters.

image10830.jpeg

Split it up over the three jars and let it drip through. The hardest part was waiting for this process to work through on its own. When it stopped dripping freely I very gently squeezed out just a bit more.

image10831.jpeg

Chilling in the freezer while things drain and strain.

image10832.jpeg

The plant material gets dumped back into the wash jar, which has been waiting in the freezer, so the whole wash process can be repeated two more times. I squeezed the last drops of liquid out of the filters into this jar. The thrifty Scot in me hates waste.

image10833.jpeg

The first wash.

image10834.jpeg

Second straining.

image10835.jpeg

Final wash.

image10836.jpeg

Letting it drip on its own time.

image10837.jpeg

I believe the green tint may be due to my having to use the lower proof, higher water content Everclear??? Am I correct in this? If so, can faster washes be done to counter this tendency? This oil's for my own personal enjoyment, so it doesn't matter. This is my initial run. From here in out they improve.

image10838.jpeg

Combine it all into one.

image10839.jpeg

One last straining to catch the fine particulate matter I can see in the bottom of the jar. This time I used the fine screen strainer under the coffee filter. I'd have been better off with just the coffee filter. Keep it simple Susan.

image10840.jpeg

I ended up with 14 oz of wash.

image10841.jpeg

Into the freezer at 5:30 PM. It needs another 24 hour deep freeze.

image10842.jpeg

Time to start the oil for the next batch of brownies. I over indulged for the holiday. :laughtwo: Many thanks to my own angel.

image10843.jpeg

Tomorrow at 6PM I start the end run.

While you're waiting for the 24 hour freezing here's a few things I stumbled across recently :)

1) From this post to this post you guys are talking about raw cannabis and cannabinoid acids. I watched a few videos with John Kohler who seems very passionate about raw foods, juicing, etc, anyway, he has a video on youtube (youtu.be/14plpEMWmck) which is about growing cannabis and during the video he eats the raw buds (such as at 38m10s). However, the real reason I'm mentioning these videos is because of the one on youtube (youtu.be/mEV9ZbKXj6E) where he claims to get high from juicing cannabis! I don't know if it really works or not, but he used cannabis leaves that would have been thrown out anyway, coconut milk, and tangerine juice (I think).

2) If you search for "shatter pills limonene" the first result should be from reddit where the user is using a cannabis concentrate with medium-chain triglycerides and limonene. Similar to the bio bomb with some obvious differences. It'd be interesting to find out what the best approach is, perhaps the bio bomb with some added terpenes and/or medium-chain triglycerides?

On a different note, does anyone have any good ideas for breaking up CCO when trying to mix it with a carrier oil? Before I write up my next mix that I've just finished I'm wondering if there's a good way to break up the CCO in to smaller pieces as I think that may be why it took a long time to dissolve in the carrier oil. I have tried "mashing" I guess you could call it by squashing the chunk of CCO in the carrier oil and I wasn't happy with how much CCO and carrier oil was left on the utensil I used (a metal knife handle). I'm happy to write up what I did but I'd prefer to see if I can solve this first :)

While you're waiting for the 24 hour freezing here's a few things I stumbled across recently :)

1) From this post to this post you guys are talking about raw cannabis and cannabinoid acids. I watched a few videos with John Kohler who seems very passionate about raw foods, juicing, etc, anyway, he has a video on youtube (youtu.be/14plpEMWmck) which is about growing cannabis and during the video he eats the raw buds (such as at 38m10s). However, the real reason I'm mentioning these videos is because of the one on youtube (youtu.be/mEV9ZbKXj6E) where he claims to get high from juicing cannabis! I don't know if it really works or not, but he used cannabis leaves that would have been thrown out anyway, coconut milk, and tangerine juice (I think).

2) If you search for "shatter pills limonene" the first result should be from reddit where the user is using a cannabis concentrate with medium-chain triglycerides and limonene. Similar to the bio bomb with some obvious differences. It'd be interesting to find out what the best approach is, perhaps the bio bomb with some added terpenes and/or medium-chain triglycerides?

On a different note, does anyone have any good ideas for breaking up CCO when trying to mix it with a carrier oil? Before I write up my next mix that I've just finished I'm wondering if there's a good way to break up the CCO in to smaller pieces as I think that may be why it took a long time to dissolve in the carrier oil. I have tried "mashing" I guess you could call it by squashing the chunk of CCO in the carrier oil and I wasn't happy with how much CCO and carrier oil was left on the utensil I used (a metal knife handle). I'm happy to write up what I did but I'd prefer to see if I can solve this first :)

Wow fookinel, that's a lot of delightful thinking you offer there. :laughtwo: I recently came across mention of a Limonene Honey Oil that made me salivate just reading the name. An interesting point about adding terpenes, and I hadn't considered medium-chained triglycerides. Cajun just mentioned a patient who'd used, I believe it was frankincense drops in her CCO capsules. We've underestimated terpenes. Hmmmm..... Stuff to research tomorrow. I was on my way to bed when I found you here. I'll track down the videos in the morning. Thanks again.

On the subject of the CCO, isn't it possible to heat it slightly to soften it? Alternatively, possibly thin it with solvent and then add to the carrier oil? I may not be thinking clearly. Too tired and too stoned. :laughtwo:

Goodnight everyone. :love:

Cajun just mentioned a patient who'd used, I believe it was frankincense drops in her CCO capsules.

:laughtwo:

I keep an eye on that thread too, however, I only just looked at frankincense after you mentioned it then. Thanks! I looked it up and it seems to have some effects against cancer cells (at least in vitro, not sure about in vivo). Now I'm going to have to see if I can get some myself and combine it with lemongrass/hops, lavender, and citrus oils. I still need to work out the ratios but I'd like the person I'm trying to help to eventually take a capsule of the CCO/olive oil mix and another capsule of essential oils (most likely also mixed with olive oil to dilute it) at the same time.

Stuff to research tomorrow. I was on my way to bed when I found you here. I'll track down the videos in the morning. Thanks again.

No worries! The video about juicing cannabis leaves, tangerines, and coconut milk I think is more beneficial for people that want to use the cannabis for recreational purposes (I can't see it having enough of a medicinal value for treating something like cancer, although it's still probably a healthy drink). It could be a good way to use leaves that might otherwise be thrown out, either as a juice or possibly as a smoothie for those that don't have a juicer.

On the subject of the CCO, isn't it possible to heat it slightly to soften it? Alternatively, possibly thin it with solvent and then add to the carrier oil? I may not be thinking clearly. Too tired and too stoned. :laughtwo:

You're thinking clearly, I remember I have the post from panacea bookmarked where s/he mentioned using heat and alcohol to help things mix. Unfortunately I didn't ask my question clearly, I'm trying to avoid those two things and just let the CCO slowly dissolve in to the carrier oil. My thoughts are that if I can somehow break up the CCO in a way that doesn't waste it I can speed up the process of dissolving it at room temperature without any solvents. Having said that, perhaps I should just use limonene instead of alcohol! Hmmmm... now I have something to research too!

:laughtwo:

I keep an eye on that thread too, however, I only just looked at frankincense after you mentioned it then. Thanks! I looked it up and it seems to have some effects against cancer cells (at least in vitro, not sure about in vivo). Now I'm going to have to see if I can get some myself and combine it with lemongrass/hops, lavender, and citrus oils. I still need to work out the ratios but I'd like the person I'm trying to help to eventually take a capsule of the CCO/olive oil mix and another capsule of essential oils (most likely also mixed with olive oil to dilute it) at the same time.

No worries! The video about juicing cannabis leaves, tangerines, and coconut milk I think is more beneficial for people that want to use the cannabis for recreational purposes (I can't see it having enough of a medicinal value for treating something like cancer, although it's still probably a healthy drink). It could be a good way to use leaves that might otherwise be thrown out, either as a juice or possibly as a smoothie for those that don't have a juicer.

You're thinking clearly, I remember I have the post from panacea bookmarked where s/he mentioned using heat and alcohol to help things mix. Unfortunately I didn't ask my question clearly, I'm trying to avoid those two things and just let the CCO slowly dissolve in to the carrier oil. My thoughts are that if I can somehow break up the CCO in a way that doesn't waste it I can speed up the process of dissolving it at room temperature without any solvents. Having said that, perhaps I should just use limonene instead of alcohol! Hmmmm... now I have something to research too!

I really love the way your mind works. :circle-of-love:

fookinel, if you mixed the carrier oil and the CCO when the CCO was still fresh and warm, might that fascilitate the dissolving? Since you plan to use this method for the patient's regular dose, it shouldn't be a concern to mix it all up in the beginning.

I write this as someone who has yet to see CCO up close and personal, so I know nothing about the characteristics of the finished oil.

Back
Top Bottom