SweetSue's Hempy Haven: Powered By Timber

I’m doing a straight up hang for three days and then bag this harvest up in roasting bags to stabilize and cure.

@Chris Scorpio, how long have you been curing them before you switch to jars?

Time to get the party started :slide:

I slept ‘till 9:30. Good thing I turn the lights off the night before a harvest.

We played Canna Tetris this morning, realigning the girls to spread them out a bit.

Now to the business of washing the buds.

I’ll be back in a bit. :ciao:
I'd say they are in bags for a week, maybe a bit less, till they hit that 62% range

I've done a couple longer, like my Blue Balls...aka.. GDP x ACDC, she was a sticky one and still is

Really like this method. If they are a bit wet still, lay em all flat in the bag, prop it open, let em sit for a couple hrs, close em, and repeat as needed

I'd say they are in bags for a week, maybe a bit less, till they hit that 62% range

I've done a couple longer, like my Blue Balls...aka.. GDP x ACDC, she was a sticky one and still is

Really like this method. If they are a bit wet still, lay em all flat in the bag, prop it open, let em sit for a couple hrs, close em, and repeat as needed

Do you hang them first, and if so how long?

I have to say Chris, I went to burp and immediately thought “Now I understand.” :battingeyelashes:

I hang for like 2-3 days, just depends on the dryness of them

Ya, I've been really surprised at how much more they dense up in the bags

I think the plant in tent #3 wishes it was growing in a full-coverage SCROG setup.

Do you hang them first, and if so how long?

I have to say Chris, I went to burp and immediately thought “Now I understand.” :battingeyelashes:

All those pictures give me some memories that have nothing to do with those pictures. Which is pretty funny! Those buds for example look like herbs my grandma would hang on the wall in the kitchen for cooking! My ex girlfriend even did that with a branch of little nugs I gave to her. Ofcourse she smoked it after she looked at it for too long!

I wonder if this is an issue for curing/drying buds, but roasting bags are just plastic. Like all plastic they can release toxins (we saw recently what happened to Sue’s clones!). Mostly it’s an issue when there’s heat involved (why I won’t decarb’ in the bags), but it can happen without heat too (again, the clones).

FYI the Breast cancer organisation strongly recommends against using oven bags because of the tendency (of all plastic) to release harmful toxic chemicals when heated.

Curing isn’t heated I know, but still... it looks amazingly convenient but I’m not convinced it’s ok! Too much risk of toxins, and when it’s precious medicine I just can’t take the chance.

Do you think just an enormous glass jar would work just as well?

:Namaste:

Good Morning/evening to you Sue and all. Glad you slept in today Sue, that’s good sign :thumb:

So they are 2x2’ tents you’re managing to get 3-4 plants flowering in, yes? You seem to think 4 is skittle crowded... but does it seem comfy with 2?

Afternoon....oops....evening Amy. :hug:

I find one big plant or two medium plants that’ve been trained to share the space without usurping each other’s space is optimal. The little pots are an exception. I could likely get 6-8 of them in a 2x2.

The Zam x Pan is big enough she appreciates the lack of competition.

I’m done with the cut, wash and hang.

My friends are taking me to dinner in about 30 minutes, so the rest of the report will have to wait until I return home.

Amy, I appreciate the concern, but I have no problem using them. The containers I used that offgassed so dramatically were an uncharacteristic Wally’s World purchase, one that served to remind me why I’m not lured by their low prices. It’ll keep me from shopping indiscriminately in another of their stores.

There’s no heat applied here, and the big advantages of a bag over the jar are simply time savings and simplicity with a large crop. Easier to burp, easier to store, easier all ‘round. It’s just another tool in the box.

If you were severely immune system deficient I’d avoid this and use jars, but for someone whose immune response is up to par I don’t see what this can harm. That’s why we have immune systems.

I understand. It’s a public forum so I had to speak up. There is some argument (not proven, just argued) that the prevalence of immune disorder in the global population is perhaps not unconnected to the prevalence of plastic in our food world. It’s hormone disruption it can cause, not immune. Damage done before the immune system has a chance. So curing might well be fine - as you say, no heat. But the decarb’ is surely another story. Just keeping the information balanced :battingeyelashes:

It’s morning for me Sue, the start of another joyful day in the forest! Have a wonderful dinner out!

They have been used for years and years cooking food in the oven

I'm sure a concern would have been raised if any issues had been documented or discovered with these bags

No rats have gotten cancer from them that I can find...lol

I appreciate that, but just because a rat hasn’t died isn’t enough for me - so we should ask the Breast cancer org why they recommend agany Nat them maybe?

And - just because we’re told it’s safe, doesn’t mean it is. Not advancing a conspiracy theory or anything... I mean we’re told cannabis is schedule 1, yeah?! :) And many things once thought safe have turned out to be pretty bad (crop spraying in the 1959s? Eg)

That plastics release toxins when heated is known - so yeah perhaps the cure is ok, like we’ve noted. Still, I’ll stick to glass if I’m gonna call it medicine though :thumb:

So - I don’t mean to be zealot like about it. I just couldn’t keep my conscience if I didn’t share what I know. And there are many folk who find their way here, to Sue, who are already unwell and are seeking guidance for medicinal cannabis methods. :thumb: So I’m not having a go at anyone - just adding my 2cents to that picture :)

This is about all I found:
A 2007 study that included PET roasting bags and ready-made products in PET baking dishes found that half of the products prepared at a temperature of 356°F exceeded the specific migration limit for antimony set for food contact material by the European Commission.

Breastcancer.org recommends that women don't use roasting/steaming bags because the plastic residues may leach into food when heated in a regular or microwave oven.

Seems like it has to do with specifically with heat. I don’t like to cure my buds in tupperwear either because they’re plastic too. But of I had a large enough harvest I personally wouldn’t hesitate.

When I burp my jars I just inhale deeply with my mouth in each jar. It seems to be working fine for me so far, but I only have a few full jars at a time.
:passitleft:

So - I don’t mean to be zealot like about it. I just couldn’t keep my conscience if I didn’t share what I know. And there are many folk who find their way here, to Sue, who are already unwell and are seeking guidance for medicinal cannabis methods. :thumb: So I’m not having a go at anyone - just adding my 2cents to that picture :)

I fully understand Amy, and I respect your opinion. Plastic hasn’t been the godsend DuPont wanted us to believe it was. It’s likely linked to the decrease in viable male sperm.

I’ll probably stop decarbing in the roasting bags, based on his discussion, but I use the IP for my decarb and infusion anyway.

Thank you for being conscientious. Thanks for just being you Amy. :hug:

This is about all I found:

Seems like it has to do with specifically with heat. I don’t like to cure my buds in tupperwear either because they’re plastic too. But if I had a large enough harvest I personally wouldn’t hesitate.

When I burp my jars I just inhale deeply with my mouth in each jar. It seems to be working fine for me so far, but I only have a few full jars at a time.
:passitleft:

I do the same Doob. :passitleft:

There’s this saying “If you can smell them you’re losing terpenes” and I figure if I’m inhaling them, which is why I’m smelling them, I’m not losing them at all. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back from dinner. Wine was included. Just a little tipsy. Lol!

Tipsy enough that I was compelled to stop and say how much I love you all. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

I’m hungry. There must be something I can grab in the next couple minutes. Oh yeah....doggie bag! :yahoo:

likely linked to the decrease in viable male sperm
:eek: Well there are folks who claim a correlation with all the hermied fish popping up in the ocean... I hadn’t thought about that - but there is some kind of synthetic(?) estrogen that gets released so... food for thought :hmmmm:

:hug::hug:
How is the cull and prepare coming along. I’m still so gobsmaked that it’s happening at all. I imagine it’s feeling very real to you though!

:eek: Well there are folks who claim a correlation with all the hermied fish popping up in the ocean... I hadn’t thought about that - but there is some kind of synthetic(?) estrogen that gets released so... food for thought :hmmmm:

:hug::hug:
How is the cull and prepare coming along. I’m still so gobsmaked that it’s happening at all. I imagine it’s feeling very real to you though!

Every once in a while I remind myself of the countdown happening and the blood goes cold for a moment as I look around at what I still own. Lol!

Jgrow will take the vegging plants. The rest’ll be down by September 15, no matter what. That’ll give me a few days to turn stuff into oils, make capsules, and teach the daughter the fundamentals of burping and curing.

I’m growing sativas for me and indicas for her. The indicas will either be left behind as flower or capsules. I’ll make her a pan or three or four of brownies to get her through a couple months. I’ll have to be creative about getting my meds to my new home. An off-site discussion I’m already having with my cosmic team. :battingeyelashes:

I can turn some into cobs - the intended fate of the Zamaldelica x Panama - and that’ll make the whole process much easier.

Hmmm..... that sounds like my best idea, come to think of it. Cob up what I want to take. Vacuum seal it and pack it with foodstuffs. :slide:

Ahhhh..... Amy, you helped me think through that bit. :hug::hug::hug:

So.... I’ll be wanting a small box of foodstuffs to take along. :battingeyelashes:

I think the plant in tent #3 wishes it was growing in a full-coverage SCROG setup.

That’s the Zamaldelica x Panama TS. You think it’s a good candidate for one? I own a Scrog, a prize from one of the MOTY packages. I may have room to play in my new home.

Back
Top Bottom