SweetSue's Hempy Haven: Powered By Timber

HARVEST: Black D.O.G. and Royal Gorilla (Day 61 of flower)

Two harvests in one day can take a lot out of a gal, particularly when the day also includes drenches and dinner out, but it was time to get them both down.

Starting with Black D.O.G., I remembered to grab a couple shots of the buds yesterday. Usually I forget. Lol!

The buds are more dense than I’d anticipated, and she loaded up with essential oils, so I’m happy.

Into the wash she went.

I was stunned at the size and density of the apical cola! :eek:

Beeeautiful!

Then it was on to Royal Gorilla. This may have been the feistiest plant I’ve grown so far, although Candy Cane would be a close contender.

The records reflect the struggle to get them acclimated to my grow space and methods. Mega Crop really came through for these girls. It was good to find I can control an infestation of thrips as effectively as I did with the mites. The small tents are great for controlling problems.

Two down, ten to go. :rofl:

Time for a buzz. I’m breaking out the Carnival. What’re you enjoying for your Wednesday eve? :battingeyelashes:

Something I forgot.... I have Black D.O.G. Buds curing after fermenting, making a sort of canna jerky. The stuff smells unbelievably sweet and delicious. If only it were a sativa. Lol!

I’ll pass some off to Jgrow with the promise of a smoke report when I see him this weekend.

I thought I had more than I reported yesterday. I’ll update the data when the jerky’s done.

While I was harvesting the daughter was reading me the news, and came across this disturbance in the cosmos. Seems they’re looking for a new way to intrude on our privacy and punish us for using cannabis.

Someone forgot to tell them that in every state that legalized cannabis traffic deaths dropped and alcohol-fueled accidents decline dramatically. But we have to keep the money flowing, don’t ya know?

From USA Today:

Marijuana breathalyzer aims to detect high drivers 'without unjustly accusing'

LILLY PRICE | USA TODAY Updated 9:17 a.m. EDT Aug. 8, 2018

A breathalyzer able to determine if a driver smoked pot could roll out in select cities in the fall, according to a company developing the first-of-its-kind product.

With recreational weed now legal in nine states and the District of Columbia, California-based Hound Labs Inc. has created a marijuana-breathalyzer it says will make roads safer and hold drivers accountable. The company claims the device is hypersensitive, allowing it to pick up any THC — the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana — potentially present on drivers' breath.

"The Hound breathalyzer is 1 billion times more sensitive than today’s alcohol breathalyzers," the company says on its site.

A 2017 survey by the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) found that almost 70 percent of cannabis consumers drove high at least once in the past year. Twenty-seven percent said they drive high almost every day.

Currently, officers who suspect a driver is impaired can only test the hunch with field sobriety tests. Blood, breath or urine samples could be taken to determine if a driver is high, but such tests can be inaccurate. Those tests also detect if the driver was high that day or week, rather than if they were high while operating the vehicle in that instance.

Tools such as Hound Labs' alcohol-and-marijuana breathalyzer or Canadian company Cannabix Technologies Inc.'s THC breathalyzer aim to present an objective determination of recent marijuana use rather than one based on an officers' judgement or an intrusive test. Drivers with a blood alcohol concentration above .08 percent are considered under the influence of alcohol or driving while impaired. But what exactly qualifies a driver under the influence of marijuana as "impaired" is up for debate in the science community.

For Hound Labs' breathalyzers, that qualification is marked by timing. Though the company's breathalyzers can determine how much marijuana is in someone's breath, the actual level of THC is not as relevant as recency of use for determining whether an individual is high, according to their research.

THC only stays in breath during the "peak window of impairment," about one to two hours after smoking marijuana, according to Hound Labs. The level of THC found in breath samples drops to zero at three hours after smoking, the company's research found.

When an individual blows into the breathalyzer, it can determine within a couple minutes whether there is alcohol, THC or both in the person's system. Since THC is only present in someone's breath during that peak two-hour window, the driver is considered impaired when it's detected.

The breathalyzer would then display "Warning" if THC is detected and "Pass" if it is not.

The device "will help ensure safety on our roads and in the workplace while also promoting fairness to people who use marijuana legally and responsibly," said Louisa Ashord, marketing manager for Hound Labs in a statement.

Sue here is a product you might be able to replace the perlite with for hempys.
Its made by the same company that makes the gnat nix topping I have been using. its smaller like perlite instead of grow stones

They say on the web site it is easily reusable.

Its made by the same company that makes the gnat nix topping I have been using. its smaller like perlite instead of grow stones

MUAH! Let me take a look. :battingeyelashes:

Hmmm.... my immediate thought was expense as compared to perlite, and it’s running almost twice what I pay for perlite. I’ll look into it further to see if there’s compelling reason to accept the increased cost of growing in it.

My second thought was that it’d be soaking up the nutrients. How difficult would it be to leach them out after harvest?

I know people that grow with the expanded clay and they use them till they fall apart and pass thru a 3/8 screen,, I'm guessing on the mesh but you get the drift. They wood clean them after harvest with a cement mixer with alittle lemon juice or a leaching solution to release the salts from the rocks. Bags of them rocks are cheap and they don't weight crap when dry but do have lots of nooks and crannies for water to stick too.

Grow medium is a big thing when you do alot of plants. Cost effective anyways. And you got to have places to waste it... Hard to find a use for a pickup full of grow rocks or tons of perlite. Hell,,,,I'm using soil and I ran outta places to waste it around here years back,, and both neighbors and the community garden down the road are hiding when they see my truck come down the road........ I may be having to look into using a dump site for good soil...
Considering you can finish 5-6 crops a year, thats alot of pots. So I'd be looking into something easily cleaned and can be reused till the wheels fall off. I mean approached right perlite has a long lifespan. The cement mixer wood help with that too. They are fairly cheap and save lots of time and back-breaking labor for scrubbing the medium and getting rid of all the root material from the prior grow...

Sounds like ya'll are going to have a chance to dabble with acouple grow mediums and methods in the next year or two...

Hmm - that breath tester thing is interesting. If what they say is true, it would actually be better than how things currently are with the law here in this country. At the moment you can be ‘done’ for DUI the day after you’ve smoked a joint the night before - this would eliminate that.

That law is stopping a couple of my friends (and patients) from using the 2:1 I made, because they would test positive if pulled over with the way things are now. It’s one of the reasons I’m growing a pure CBD this summer.

It’s a big flaw that they see the danger window as the first 2 hours, the first half an hour maybe ... but I think the window after the high starts to wear off, where you may be coming down a bit, it is when driving gets dangerous!

It’s amazing to say they can detect it in breath!! I guess you’d be ok if you were flying high from chewing a cob, or eating a brownie! They only talk about smoking... seems naive.

I understand. It’s a public forum so I had to speak up. There is some argument (not proven, just argued) that the prevalence of immune disorder in the global population is perhaps not unconnected to the prevalence of plastic in our food world. It’s hormone disruption it can cause, not immune. Damage done before the immune system has a chance. So curing might well be fine - as you say, no heat. But the decarb’ is surely another story. Just keeping the information balanced :battingeyelashes:

It’s morning for me Sue, the start of another joyful day in the forest! Have a wonderful dinner out!

:Namaste:
This got me thinking. Plastic is just everywhere and impossible to avoid these days. Basically almost everything we touch has something to do with plastic.

[This post ended up being a little bit lengthier than I originally planned for. Apologies. Just pretend I kept hammering the "post" button every couple of minutes instead of saving the space by placing everything into the one message.]

FYI the Breast cancer organisation strongly recommends against using oven bags because of the tendency (of all plastic) to release harmful toxic chemicals when heated.

I miss my cast iron cookware. Had enough to use that exclusively if I wanted, and a couple pieces were older than I am.

Curing isn’t heated

I think the process does produce some heat, but not to any significant... degree.

Do you think just an enormous glass jar would work just as well?

Lots of people use them. Glass is, for all intents and purposes, nonreactive.

There’s no heat applied here, and the big advantages of a bag over the jar are simply time savings and simplicity with a large crop. Easier to burp, easier to store, easier all ‘round. It’s just another tool in the box.

Possible disadvantage (if only in theory) being that more trichomes might stick to the inside of the bag than the inside of the glass, or that the amount would be comparable but it'd be somewhat more difficult to remove (and then use) them? I think I'm going to keep using the same three jars for "immediate-access storage" until the insides are like 60-grit sandpaper, lol, and then "rinse" them out. Waste not, want not, and all that.

Another possible disadvantage is that I can handle a jar without disturbing the contents overmuch. Bags, less so.

I understand. It’s a public forum so I had to speak up. There is some argument (not proven, just argued) that the prevalence of immune disorder in the global population is perhaps not unconnected to the prevalence of plastic in our food world.

That's a good way to word it. I would, perhaps, not disagree with your statement ;) . Throw it into the same category as pollutants. Might not be a clear and direct quantifiable thing - but the species sure does seem to have been much more... robust before all of that became a factor (the reason that life expectancies have (generally) increased is not an internal one) .

They have been used for years and years cooking food in the oven

I'm sure a concern would have been raised if any issues had been documented or discovered with these bags

No rats have gotten cancer from them that I can find...lol

<SHRUGS> If I shoot you in the head, you'll fall over, I'll make a mess of the wall behind you unless I use my .22 in which case I'll merely turn your brain to puree due to the slug not having enough energy remaining to make an exit hole and, therefore, just bouncing around in there a few times... And all observers will be able to immediately and with no doubt whatsoever, state that getting shot in the head is most harmful. (NOTE: I wouldn't dream of shooting you in the head!)

On the other hand, if I do a thing a few times per month, and it takes 25 years' worth of doing this thing to cause a detectable problem - and I am, of course, doing countless other things over the course of those 25 years, sucking in pollutants as a matter of course, maybe smoking a cigarette "or two," et cetera... It becomes exponentially more difficult to then point to one specific thing/practice and say, "THIS thing caused harm."

Doesn't it?

Dad died of (lung/bone/lymph/etc.) cancer. It'd be easy to point to smoking multiple packs of Kool cigarettes for 50 years as being what killed him. But the asbestos, that would have played a part, I'd think. Eating fish - that the government said was <COUGH>probably safe<COUGH> to eat <COUGH>once or twice a month<COUGH> from our local river, would that have been an additive factor? The various chemicals/substances he would have encountered in his work (he built things including large plants/factories - but he also occasionally modified same or partially/fully demolished them after they'd been in operation for years, too) probably were. There was another one, an entity that poisoned the local water supply for decades - I'd put that into the "definite" category.

How can we look at a scenario like that and decide this thing was n% causative, this other thing was d% causative, et cetera? And how can we know that other factors weren't factors?

It's kind of like hurting when I get up each morning. I can point to that head-on collision. The time I wrecked my ten-speed bicycle as a teenager at some speed greater than 60 MPH. Slamming my right knee into a relatively small tree (but it sure wasn't a sapling, lol) when doing jumps at the bottom of a huge hill hard enough that, when I could think about something besides the pain, I realized I'd broken the tree. Those were significant, immediate injuries to the ol' system. But remove those and I'd still wake up hurting every morning. Presumably somewhat less, but... Because those were by far not the only things I've managed to smash into - or through - with my body to date.

We can poison all the mice, rats, and fruit flies that we like, but that's still not going to be exactly the same as consuming the same substances in much reduced concentrations - but over a much greater period of time. IMHO. And real life... isn't a sterile lab. Those rodents (/etc.) are probably living pretty clean lives, aside from what the scientists are putting into/on them. Us? Much less so.

And - just because we’re told it’s safe, doesn’t mean it is. Not advancing a conspiracy theory or anything...

THAT isn't a conspiracy theory, lol; that's simple common sense caution. A conspiracy theory would be... IDK. Okay, here's one off the top of my head: The pharmaceutical companies' ability to push opiates/etc. is not what it once was (or at least that's the government's and concerned citizens' goal). Speculating that one or more of them have now begun making clandestine contacts with the "underworld" and are selling their pills/etc. in wholesale lots out of the back of unmarked trucks to a few major dealers in order to make up for the shortfall... Yeah, I think that'd qualify as a conspiracy theory ;) .

I mean we’re told cannabis is schedule 1, yeah?!:) And many things once thought safe have turned out to be pretty bad

Different situation altogether (and I do not feel even the slightest urge to add "IMHO" here). That was politically motivated, statements that cannabis actually qualifies for inclusion as a Schedule I Narcotic are patently false, a substance must meet all three requirements for said inclusion and cannabis meets NONE of them - and the evidence of this was available at the time of its scheduling.

(crop spraying in the 1959s? Eg)

IDK if this is still the case, but it wasn't that many years ago that I read that almost every man, woman, and child in the US had "scientifically detectable" levels of DDT in their systems - and DDT was basically banned in my country something like 46 years ago.

Yeah, you picked a pretty good example of a thing that doesn't really appear to be harmful until years after the harm starts evincing.

So - I don’t mean to be zealot like about it.

Rest assured, you are not. For one thing, you admit to the possibility of being wrong, lol. Zealots are absolutely certain of a thing.

Seems like it has to do with specifically with heat.

I've used those Arizona Ice Tea jugs for water jugs because the lids are decent, they've got good handles... And, FFS, a drink came in them. Sensible, right?

Maybe.

I somehow managed to stick one in a closet, in a room used for storage and partially filled with boxes of family stuff that's Mom's but she's never decided what to do with. And I have the storage space, at least technically (although I'd love to toss all of it out the nearest window so I'd have room to assemble the grow tent that Sue gave me[/RANT, lol]). So I hadn't been in that closet in five, maybe ten years.

I had reason to, though, last week, whereupon I found the bottle. I have every reason to believe it's "just water" inside. I previously lived in an old house in the country with really sketchy well water, so I'd use those jugs to bring water in and then dump them into a larger container.

The water had a BROWNISH tint to it!

Again, it had been in there a long time. But it was just municipal water - and I'd have noticed if it wasn't transparent when I filled the jug, because I am a bit paranoid about things.

And, again, this wasn't a motor oil jug - it came with tea in it.

Wine was included. Just a little tipsy. Lol!

I never was much of a wine drinker (unless you count the tanker-loads worth of Boone's Farm that I consumed as a teenager, or consider all the Mad Dog 20/20 Orange Jubilee that I was guzzling at the same time to have qualifed as wine, I suppose...), having found it wasn't nearly flammable enough for me, lol. So maybe this is just a "~TS~ kind of thought." But have you ever found yourself wanting to say, "No thanks, I've brought something less addictive, less harmful, more helpful, and far more enjoyable," and then whip out a joint/bowl/bong/etc. and fire it up? Or, IDK, since it's a restaurant setting, maybe hauling out a special dessert (brownies? something suitably stronger?) and saying the same thing?

The rest’ll be down by September 15, no matter what.

If you find yourself with a sativa that just isn't quite there, yet... No, never mind. I might be in the midst of a grow at that time. Then again, if you happen to come via my neck of the woods, lol...

I’ll have to be creative about getting my meds to my new home. An off-site discussion I’m already having with my cosmic team. :battingeyelashes:

You won't exactly be on a major cannabis transport corridor, regardless of the route you take. Unless you t-bone a cop, manage to leave your keys in the vehicle and wander off, or your truck ends up reeking, you'll be fine. Use sensible packing methods. You don't even need to do the "put the lid on the jar and melt wax around the lid" hyper-paranoid thing - you have a vacuum-sealer :rolleyes: .

Trying to transport plants is a little more involved. But that's doable, too. (I typed "plants," not "TREES" ;) .)

Vacuum seal it and pack it with foodstuffs. :slide:

Oops. One of these days, I'll learn to read to the end of the post before beginning my reply. Maybe.

So.... I’ll be wanting a small box of foodstuffs to take along. :battingeyelashes:

Ya know... If you're worried about getting your cargo searched, people are probably significantly less likely to pack random food items for a 1,000-mile move than they'd be to pack regular household items, clothing, et cetera. I'm just saying. Especially previously opened food items. This isn't a move across town, where you end up making several trips, the first couple being concerned with something simple to eat during the transition and something to sleep on. This is a one-shot.

A few(??? ;) ) vacuum-sealed bags, rolled up into a comforter, quilt, et cetera, and bagged (in those heavy transparent plastic bags that things like that often come in, if at all possible) might be wiser, IMHO. Not that I've ever transported cannabis across multiple state lines or anything <WINK> .

That’s the Zamaldelica x Panama TS. You think it’s a good candidate for one? I own a Scrog, a prize from one of the MOTY packages. I may have room to play in my new home.

Yes. No, wait, that's not right...

YES! Much better :p.

That strain is a classic SCROG candidate. And not one of those half-@ssed "I started out intending to do a SCROG, but the screen ended up just being a support, instead" grows. That girl deserves the full-boat SCROG, with the screen as low as you can reasonably position it and still guarantee that you'll be able to access every hole from underneath when your growth gets crazy and you end up weaving, repositioning, rinse/lather/repeating, encouraging your plant to reach the screen ASAP and start branching (NOT by cutting bits off of the plant, but by continually keeping all your tips at the same level), curtailing all undergrowth... and ending up with a screen that's completely (or nearly so) full without it getting to the point that you end up just letting parts go (which kind of sh!tcans the setup, as those would just become the plant's primaries) . And ending up with a canopy that absorbs enough of your light that you need an additional light to do your under-screen maintenance.

I picture a plane of buds, not really solid enough to walk on, of course - but looking almost as if it is. The kind of grow where, when harvest day arrives, you have to call Tead to help with the initial steps - because you'll have to end up just sawing off the trunk under the screen, then the two of you disconnecting the thing from the walls and, together, carrying the screen/buds as a unit to your table for the actual harvest work.

Oh, Sue, it's a such beautiful thing when it's done correctly. Not to mention, you'd probably need... more jars ;) . Keep the light levels HIGH (your type of lighting should work great). I find myself wanting to suggest that you use a piece of poultry netting (aka "chicken wire") even though you have something else already. I guess I just did, huh? It comes in both 1" and 2" hole sizes, is sold in a variety of widths, pretty much any length you want from a foot (assuming you can find a real hardware store) to 300', and is strong yet really easy to work with.

I'd also recommend doing this as a single-plant grow, not cutting your vegetative period too short, and doing this as a DWC with a 20- to 25-gallon reservoir.

You'll seriously have to reschedule a bunch of stuff on harvest day, because you'll have a rather noteworthy yield. At least that's my prediction. Been there, done that. And you've already had good results with soil and passive hydroponics grows - why not add another method to your toolkit. I sincerely think you'd find yourself impressed. Ask Chuck Lucas @Rifleman what he thinks of my idea.

Two difficulties with true, real sativas: Long internodal length and the difficulty of getting as much of the light-energy to as much of the plant as possible when it wants to grow TALL and training never quite gets 100% of things at more or less the same level. Internodal length isn't a factor when you end up with 276 decent-sized buds, all packed as close together as they reasonably can be. And, with a true SCROG grow, you set the light(s) at a distance from the screen that is close enough that you're blasting that screen with as much light as the plant can take and all the greenery is at the same level (immediately underneath the screen, with only a wee tiny bit of tip growth sticking up from each hole (basically, the minimum it takes to actually keep the tip you stick in a given hole... where you've placed it that day) . You don't even need to raise your lights (in fact, that's detrimental) until after you've switched to flowering, the first part of the stretch has allowed you to finish filling your screen, and you are, therefore, allowing the remainder of the stretch to provide vertical growth of your buds/tips. Then you raise it a bit at a time, keeping the same "close as you can without causing harm" light-to-plant distance until the stretch finishes up, at which point vertical growth stops and things are filling in from then to harvest - so you can, again, stop worrying about having to adjust your light.

Yeah... I'm a fan. Not just because it's an enjoyable method for growing cannabis, but also because, well... What's the whole point of growing cannabis, again, lol? (The harvest! ;) )

Oh, and when you're basically growing in water... It kind of makes things more difficult for those pests that either go to ground regularly or deposit their eggs in it.

Hey, you're not planning to throw that guitar instruction book away, are you?

That Royal Gorilla looks shiny:goodjob:.

While I was harvesting the daughter was reading me the news, and came across this disturbance in the cosmos. Seems they’re looking for a new way to intrude on our privacy and punish us for using cannabis.

I'm actually not opposed to the concept. The problem, IMHO, is in determining a "safe limit" for a substance that tends to affect different people differently.

I rarely drive these days, but I used to do so A LOT, and there were several periods when my yearly mileage approached that of the proverbial traveling salesman. It wasn't until recent years that I wasn't constantly growing cannabis. And I was pretty bad about treating the jars as if they were bottomless - and as if they contained air, lol, that I needed to inhale constantly in order to survive.

I'd guess that the amount of driving, to date, that I've done without having been as high as I could be... was probably pretty close to 1% (or less) . Admittedly, I occasionally ended up at a destination other than the one I'd originally planed to - but I didn't have "issues." Ironically, I've totaled several vehicles - all but one during those 1% times (and that other one was due to a deer jumping into my windshield when I was moving at a pretty good clip).

My thought is that, if nothing else, the law of averages would have seen me having at least one major malfunction when high, if I'd truly been "over my personal limit."

But I've encountered people who were disasters after sharing a bowl. I mean walking into walls because they misjudged the width/placement of doorways kind of disasters. My buddy, the one that visited you with me? He's been getting there since before he was on the Nimitz in the '80s. Several years ago, he got a job at a municipal wastewater treatment plant. First night he was to be there by himself, he invited me to hang out ("You can bring something to smoke. If you want to.") since I had a working knowledge of things such as pH, total dissolved solids, math, etc. Within an hour he'd basically managed to halt the entire operation of the plant, LMFAO. Panic mode ensued. Turned out it was a good idea to invite me, because I also have some concept of how pumps work, hydrodynamics, and the sense to say, "Hey, man, I think that 60' tall 12" diameter line that you're loosening the bottom of is still full of sewage."

Some would say that he wouldn't have had that particular Great Adventure if I hadn't showed up with a bag of fun. I like to think the event prepared him to deal with unforeseen events. And, to be honest, he told me he was a lot less nervous after he managed to get things restarted that night. But, anyway, that was one night he wouldn't have been safe/reliable driving a riding lawnmower. And I couldn't tell you how many times his visits got extended by hours because he felt that it wouldn't have been safe for him to drive.

It's... Cannabis isn't exactly like alcohol in that regard. I don't care who you are, I can give you enough liquor that you won't be able to crawl to your vehicle, to say nothing of driving it (and a lesser amount would so impair the person that he/she would still be a danger, and arriving at the destination would be more a matter of luck than skill). With cannabis, OtOH, it's much less a sure thing. It really does vary from person to person, based on experience and - for all I know - something in our brains.

Devices like that... Dual-purpose devices. Partly intended to ensure the guilty get arrested but not the innocent - but also partly intended to make things easier for LEO. I have concerns that the latter will end up being more the focus (in practical terms, at least) . I'm a fan of LEO testing suspects; checking balance, et cetera. Unfortunately, that kind of thing can end up being somewhat subjective.

It really is a slippery slope. I kind of believe that the difficulty in being able to categorically determine whether or not a person is competent to drive might have been a contributing factor to why the struggle to legalize cannabis even after it started being treated as a mainstream(?) product. I might be wrong, though.

I've always liked Geodon whoops, I mean Geolite ;) / Hydroton / "expanded clay balls" . But I need to think about getting more, and a ten-liter bag isn't cost effective, and the 50-liter one is going to cost to ship. I'll have to read up on that stuff. Thanks for the mention of it.

I know people that grow with the expanded clay and they use them till they fall apart and pass thru a 3/8 screen,, I'm guessing on the mesh but you get the drift. They wood clean them after harvest with a cement mixer with alittle lemon juice or a leaching solution to release the salts from the rocks. Bags of them rocks are cheap and they don't weight crap when dry but do have lots of nooks and crannies for water to stick too.

Grow medium is a big thing when you do alot of plants. Cost effective anyways. And you got to have places to waste it...

I've cleaned my media. RPITA, but...

One of the advantages of DWC is one can use a really small amount of media. I used big reservoirs - but only enough Geolite (clay balls) to fill a Solo cup, lol, which would be the initial container until the roots grew through the many holes I put in the cups, down into the reservoir. By harvest time, the cups were destroyed and the media was mostly embedded in the root mass with the odd ball loose in the reservoir. The media was only really used to help initially support the plant. When you've got a huge root mass and it's a SCROG grow, well, you don't much need any other support than the screen and the tub/tote.

So I mostly ended up throwing away my media, one (largish) cup at a time. I dumped a bit into the outdoor gardens, but I couldn't really see where it was doing much to benefit them.

At the moment you can be ‘done’ for DUI the day after you’ve smoked a joint the night before - this would eliminate that.

This is not an insignificant factor. Figuring this issue out - and somehow getting it right - would actually be helpful.

It’s a big flaw that they see the danger window as the first 2 hours, the first half an hour maybe ... but I think the window after the high starts to wear off, where you may be coming down a bit, it is when driving gets dangerous!

I wouldn't disagree. But it depends on several factors, IMHO. Not least of which being... Sativa or indica, lol?

It’s amazing to say they can detect it in breath!

There are scientific instruments that can detect the presence of something that is as low as a few parts per trillion, IIRC. With that being the case, it's not so amazing that we can detect the presence of a relative few molecules in someone's exhaled breath. The resolution - and the miniaturization of such an accurate device to hand-held size... Definitely interesting. In terms of technology, though, this kind of thing really is just evolutionary - not revolutionary.

Every once in a while I remind myself of the countdown happening and the blood goes cold for a moment as I look around at what I still own. Lol!

Jgrow will take the vegging plants. The rest’ll be down by September 15, no matter what. That’ll give me a few days to turn stuff into oils, make capsules, and teach the daughter the fundamentals of burping and curing.

I’m growing sativas for me and indicas for her. The indicas will either be left behind as flower or capsules. I’ll make her a pan or three or four of brownies to get her through a couple months. I’ll have to be creative about getting my meds to my new home. An off-site discussion I’m already having with my cosmic team. :battingeyelashes:

I can turn some into cobs - the intended fate of the Zamaldelica x Panama - and that’ll make the whole process much easier.

Hmmm..... that sounds like my best idea, come to think of it. Cob up what I want to take. Vacuum seal it and pack it with foodstuffs. :slide:

Ahhhh..... Amy, you helped me think through that bit. :hug::hug::hug:

"Being creative about getting your medicine to your new home" Hmmm... Do you like big armored trucks? Don't worry no explosions this time I promise... Ish

[This post ended up being a little bit lengthier than I originally planned for. Apologies. Just pretend I kept hammering the "post" button every couple of minutes instead of saving the space by placing everything into the one message.]

I miss my cast iron cookware. Had enough to use that exclusively if I wanted, and a couple pieces were older than I am.

I think the process does produce some heat, but not to any significant... degree.

Lots of people use them. Glass is, for all intents and purposes, nonreactive.

Possible disadvantage (if only in theory) being that more trichomes might stick to the inside of the bag than the inside of the glass, or that the amount would be comparable but it'd be somewhat more difficult to remove (and then use) them? I think I'm going to keep using the same three jars for "immediate-access storage" until the insides are like 60-grit sandpaper, lol, and then "rinse" them out. Waste not, want not, and all that.

Another possible disadvantage is that I can handle a jar without disturbing the contents overmuch. Bags, less so.

That's a good way to word it. I would, perhaps, not disagree with your statement ;) . Throw it into the same category as pollutants. Might not be a clear and direct quantifiable thing - but the species sure does seem to have been much more... robust before all of that became a factor (the reason that life expectancies have (generally) increased is not an internal one) .

<SHRUGS> If I shoot you in the head, you'll fall over, I'll make a mess of the wall behind you unless I use my .22 in which case I'll merely turn your brain to puree due to the slug not having enough energy remaining to make an exit hole and, therefore, just bouncing around in there a few times... And all observers will be able to immediately and with no doubt whatsoever, state that getting shot in the head is most harmful. (NOTE: I wouldn't dream of shooting you in the head!)

On the other hand, if I do a thing a few times per month, and it takes 25 years' worth of doing this thing to cause a detectable problem - and I am, of course, doing countless other things over the course of those 25 years, sucking in pollutants as a matter of course, maybe smoking a cigarette "or two," et cetera... It becomes exponentially more difficult to then point to one specific thing/practice and say, "THIS thing caused harm."

Doesn't it?

Dad died of (lung/bone/lymph/etc.) cancer. It'd be easy to point to smoking multiple packs of Kool cigarettes for 50 years as being what killed him. But the asbestos, that would have played a part, I'd think. Eating fish - that the government said was <COUGH>probably safe<COUGH> to eat <COUGH>once or twice a month<COUGH> from our local river, would that have been an additive factor? The various chemicals/substances he would have encountered in his work (he built things including large plants/factories - but he also occasionally modified same or partially/fully demolished them after they'd been in operation for years, too) probably were. There was another one, an entity that poisoned the local water supply for decades - I'd put that into the "definite" category.

How can we look at a scenario like that and decide this thing was n% causative, this other thing was d% causative, et cetera? And how can we know that other factors weren't factors?

It's kind of like hurting when I get up each morning. I can point to that head-on collision. The time I wrecked my ten-speed bicycle as a teenager at some speed greater than 60 MPH. Slamming my right knee into a relatively small tree (but it sure wasn't a sapling, lol) when doing jumps at the bottom of a huge hill hard enough that, when I could think about something besides the pain, I realized I'd broken the tree. Those were significant, immediate injuries to the ol' system. But remove those and I'd still wake up hurting every morning. Presumably somewhat less, but... Because those were by far not the only things I've managed to smash into - or through - with my body to date.

We can poison all the mice, rats, and fruit flies that we like, but that's still not going to be exactly the same as consuming the same substances in much reduced concentrations - but over a much greater period of time. IMHO. And real life... isn't a sterile lab. Those rodents (/etc.) are probably living pretty clean lives, aside from what the scientists are putting into/on them. Us? Much less so.

THAT isn't a conspiracy theory, lol; that's simple common sense caution. A conspiracy theory would be... IDK. Okay, here's one off the top of my head: The pharmaceutical companies' ability to push opiates/etc. is not what it once was (or at least that's the government's and concerned citizens' goal). Speculating that one or more of them have now begun making clandestine contacts with the "underworld" and are selling their pills/etc. in wholesale lots out of the back of unmarked trucks to a few major dealers in order to make up for the shortfall... Yeah, I think that'd qualify as a conspiracy theory ;) .

Different situation altogether (and I do not feel even the slightest urge to add "IMHO" here). That was politically motivated, statements that cannabis actually qualifies for inclusion as a Schedule I Narcotic are patently false, a substance must meet all three requirements for said inclusion and cannabis meets NONE of them - and the evidence of this was available at the time of its scheduling.

IDK if this is still the case, but it wasn't that many years ago that I read that almost every man, woman, and child in the US had "scientifically detectable" levels of DDT in their systems - and DDT was basically banned in my country something like 46 years ago.

Yeah, you picked a pretty good example of a thing that doesn't really appear to be harmful until years after the harm starts evincing.

Rest assured, you are not. For one thing, you admit to the possibility of being wrong, lol. Zealots are absolutely certain of a thing.

I've used those Arizona Ice Tea jugs for water jugs because the lids are decent, they've got good handles... And, FFS, a drink came in them. Sensible, right?

Maybe.

I somehow managed to stick one in a closet, in a room used for storage and partially filled with boxes of family stuff that's Mom's but she's never decided what to do with. And I have the storage space, at least technically (although I'd love to toss all of it out the nearest window so I'd have room to assemble the grow tent that Sue gave me[/RANT, lol]). So I hadn't been in that closet in five, maybe ten years.

I had reason to, though, last week, whereupon I found the bottle. I have every reason to believe it's "just water" inside. I previously lived in an old house in the country with really sketchy well water, so I'd use those jugs to bring water in and then dump them into a larger container.

The water had a BROWNISH tint to it!

Again, it had been in there a long time. But it was just municipal water - and I'd have noticed if it wasn't transparent when I filled the jug, because I am a bit paranoid about things.

And, again, this wasn't a motor oil jug - it came with tea in it.

I never was much of a wine drinker (unless you count the tanker-loads worth of Boone's Farm that I consumed as a teenager, or consider all the Mad Dog 20/20 Orange Jubilee that I was guzzling at the same time to have qualifed as wine, I suppose...), having found it wasn't nearly flammable enough for me, lol. So maybe this is just a "~TS~ kind of thought." But have you ever found yourself wanting to say, "No thanks, I've brought something less addictive, less harmful, more helpful, and far more enjoyable," and then whip out a joint/bowl/bong/etc. and fire it up? Or, IDK, since it's a restaurant setting, maybe hauling out a special dessert (brownies? something suitably stronger?) and saying the same thing?

If you find yourself with a sativa that just isn't quite there, yet... No, never mind. I might be in the midst of a grow at that time. Then again, if you happen to come via my neck of the woods, lol...

You won't exactly be on a major cannabis transport corridor, regardless of the route you take. Unless you t-bone a cop, manage to leave your keys in the vehicle and wander off, or your truck ends up reeking, you'll be fine. Use sensible packing methods. You don't even need to do the "put the lid on the jar and melt wax around the lid" hyper-paranoid thing - you have a vacuum-sealer :rolleyes: .

Trying to transport plants is a little more involved. But that's doable, too. (I typed "plants," not "TREES" ;) .)

Oops. One of these days, I'll learn to read to the end of the post before beginning my reply. Maybe.

Ya know... If you're worried about getting your cargo searched, people are probably significantly less likely to pack random food items for a 1,000-mile move than they'd be to pack regular household items, clothing, et cetera. I'm just saying. Especially previously opened food items. This isn't a move across town, where you end up making several trips, the first couple being concerned with something simple to eat during the transition and something to sleep on. This is a one-shot.

A few(??? ;) ) vacuum-sealed bags, rolled up into a comforter, quilt, et cetera, and bagged (in those heavy transparent plastic bags that things like that often come in, if at all possible) might be wiser, IMHO. Not that I've ever transported cannabis across multiple state lines or anything <WINK> .

Yes. No, wait, that's not right...

YES! Much better :p.

That strain is a classic SCROG candidate. And not one of those half-@ssed "I started out intending to do a SCROG, but the screen ended up just being a support, instead" grows. That girl deserves the full-boat SCROG, with the screen as low as you can reasonably position it and still guarantee that you'll be able to access every hole from underneath when your growth gets crazy and you end up weaving, repositioning, rinse/lather/repeating, encouraging your plant to reach the screen ASAP and start branching (NOT by cutting bits off of the plant, but by continually keeping all your tips at the same level), curtailing all undergrowth... and ending up with a screen that's completely (or nearly so) full without it getting to the point that you end up just letting parts go (which kind of sh!tcans the setup, as those would just become the plant's primaries) . And ending up with a canopy that absorbs enough of your light that you need an additional light to do your under-screen maintenance.

I picture a plane of buds, not really solid enough to walk on, of course - but looking almost as if it is. The kind of grow where, when harvest day arrives, you have to call Tead to help with the initial steps - because you'll have to end up just sawing off the trunk under the screen, then the two of you disconnecting the thing from the walls and, together, carrying the screen/buds as a unit to your table for the actual harvest work.

Oh, Sue, it's a such beautiful thing when it's done correctly. Not to mention, you'd probably need... more jars ;) . Keep the light levels HIGH (your type of lighting should work great). I find myself wanting to suggest that you use a piece of poultry netting (aka "chicken wire") even though you have something else already. I guess I just did, huh? It comes in both 1" and 2" hole sizes, is sold in a variety of widths, pretty much any length you want from a foot (assuming you can find a real hardware store) to 300', and is strong yet really easy to work with.

I'd also recommend doing this as a single-plant grow, not cutting your vegetative period too short, and doing this as a DWC with a 20- to 25-gallon reservoir.

You'll seriously have to reschedule a bunch of stuff on harvest day, because you'll have a rather noteworthy yield. At least that's my prediction. Been there, done that. And you've already had good results with soil and passive hydroponics grows - why not add another method to your toolkit. I sincerely think you'd find yourself impressed. Ask Chuck Lucas @Rifleman what he thinks of my idea.

Two difficulties with true, real sativas: Long internodal length and the difficulty of getting as much of the light-energy to as much of the plant as possible when it wants to grow TALL and training never quite gets 100% of things at more or less the same level. Internodal length isn't a factor when you end up with 276 decent-sized buds, all packed as close together as they reasonably can be. And, with a true SCROG grow, you set the light(s) at a distance from the screen that is close enough that you're blasting that screen with as much light as the plant can take and all the greenery is at the same level (immediately underneath the screen, with only a wee tiny bit of tip growth sticking up from each hole (basically, the minimum it takes to actually keep the tip you stick in a given hole... where you've placed it that day) . You don't even need to raise your lights (in fact, that's detrimental) until after you've switched to flowering, the first part of the stretch has allowed you to finish filling your screen, and you are, therefore, allowing the remainder of the stretch to provide vertical growth of your buds/tips. Then you raise it a bit at a time, keeping the same "close as you can without causing harm" light-to-plant distance until the stretch finishes up, at which point vertical growth stops and things are filling in from then to harvest - so you can, again, stop worrying about having to adjust your light.

Yeah... I'm a fan. Not just because it's an enjoyable method for growing cannabis, but also because, well... What's the whole point of growing cannabis, again, lol? (The harvest! ;) )

Oh, and when you're basically growing in water... It kind of makes things more difficult for those pests that either go to ground regularly or deposit their eggs in it.

Hey, you're not planning to throw that guitar instruction book away, are you?

That Royal Gorilla looks shiny:goodjob:.

I'm actually not opposed to the concept. The problem, IMHO, is in determining a "safe limit" for a substance that tends to affect different people differently.

I rarely drive these days, but I used to do so A LOT, and there were several periods when my yearly mileage approached that of the proverbial traveling salesman. It wasn't until recent years that I wasn't constantly growing cannabis. And I was pretty bad about treating the jars as if they were bottomless - and as if they contained air, lol, that I needed to inhale constantly in order to survive.

I'd guess that the amount of driving, to date, that I've done without having been as high as I could be... was probably pretty close to 1% (or less) . Admittedly, I occasionally ended up at a destination other than the one I'd originally planed to - but I didn't have "issues." Ironically, I've totaled several vehicles - all but one during those 1% times (and that other one was due to a deer jumping into my windshield when I was moving at a pretty good clip).

My thought is that, if nothing else, the law of averages would have seen me having at least one major malfunction when high, if I'd truly been "over my personal limit."

But I've encountered people who were disasters after sharing a bowl. I mean walking into walls because they misjudged the width/placement of doorways kind of disasters. My buddy, the one that visited you with me? He's been getting there since before he was on the Nimitz in the '80s. Several years ago, he got a job at a municipal wastewater treatment plant. First night he was to be there by himself, he invited me to hang out ("You can bring something to smoke. If you want to.") since I had a working knowledge of things such as pH, total dissolved solids, math, etc. Within an hour he'd basically managed to halt the entire operation of the plant, LMFAO. Panic mode ensued. Turned out it was a good idea to invite me, because I also have some concept of how pumps work, hydrodynamics, and the sense to say, "Hey, man, I think that 60' tall 12" diameter line that you're loosening the bottom of is still full of sewage."

Some would say that he wouldn't have had that particular Great Adventure if I hadn't showed up with a bag of fun. I like to think the event prepared him to deal with unforeseen events. And, to be honest, he told me he was a lot less nervous after he managed to get things restarted that night. But, anyway, that was one night he wouldn't have been safe/reliable driving a riding lawnmower. And I couldn't tell you how many times his visits got extended by hours because he felt that it wouldn't have been safe for him to drive.

It's... Cannabis isn't exactly like alcohol in that regard. I don't care who you are, I can give you enough liquor that you won't be able to crawl to your vehicle, to say nothing of driving it (and a lesser amount would so impair the person that he/she would still be a danger, and arriving at the destination would be more a matter of luck than skill). With cannabis, OtOH, it's much less a sure thing. It really does vary from person to person, based on experience and - for all I know - something in our brains.

Devices like that... Dual-purpose devices. Partly intended to ensure the guilty get arrested but not the innocent - but also partly intended to make things easier for LEO. I have concerns that the latter will end up being more the focus (in practical terms, at least) . I'm a fan of LEO testing suspects; checking balance, et cetera. Unfortunately, that kind of thing can end up being somewhat subjective.

It really is a slippery slope. I kind of believe that the difficulty in being able to categorically determine whether or not a person is competent to drive might have been a contributing factor to why the struggle to legalize cannabis even after it started being treated as a mainstream(?) product. I might be wrong, though.

I've always liked Geodon whoops, I mean Geolite ;) / Hydroton / "expanded clay balls" . But I need to think about getting more, and a ten-liter bag isn't cost effective, and the 50-liter one is going to cost to ship. I'll have to read up on that stuff. Thanks for the mention of it.

I've cleaned my media. RPITA, but...

One of the advantages of DWC is one can use a really small amount of media. I used big reservoirs - but only enough Geolite (clay balls) to fill a Solo cup, lol, which would be the initial container until the roots grew through the many holes I put in the cups, down into the reservoir. By harvest time, the cups were destroyed and the media was mostly embedded in the root mass with the odd ball loose in the reservoir. The media was only really used to help initially support the plant. When you've got a huge root mass and it's a SCROG grow, well, you don't much need any other support than the screen and the tub/tote.

So I mostly ended up throwing away my media, one (largish) cup at a time. I dumped a bit into the outdoor gardens, but I couldn't really see where it was doing much to benefit them.

This is not an insignificant factor. Figuring this issue out - and somehow getting it right - would actually be helpful.

I wouldn't disagree. But it depends on several factors, IMHO. Not least of which being... Sativa or indica, lol?

There are scientific instruments that can detect the presence of something that is as low as a few parts per trillion, IIRC. With that being the case, it's not so amazing that we can detect the presence of a relative few molecules in someone's exhaled breath. The resolution - and the miniaturization of such an accurate device to hand-held size... Definitely interesting. In terms of technology, though, this kind of thing really is just evolutionary - not revolutionary.
Wow... That was pretty damn interesting and fun to read. I don't really have anything to add because you already said everything so well! Thank you for all your knowledge!

Except for references to shooting people :confused::oops:... I appreciated most of that. :)

Ma'am, it was a literary device to illustrate my point, that being the difference between a harmful thing that has effects both immediate and readily observable and something that might still be as harmful (or, perhaps, even far more so) but only not readily observable in anything other than the long term, and how such things... the picture can become rather foggy due to the fact that each thing "does not occur in a vacuum," so to speak.

Also, I made a special point of mentioning that I'd never dream of actually shooting him. I suppose I could have spent more time and come up with a different example - but I don't know if I'd have found one that represented something that the effects of which would have been both so immediate and so immediately noticeable.

I'm a lot more stable than some people might think (which, admittedly, is not the same thing as stating that I'm stable). It'd take a lot for me to decide that there was a killin' needing done ;) . The words "actively engaged in causing harm to children or others who are incapable of defending themselves" comes to mind. I'm not some veg-head that lives in a fantasy of his own creation, lol.

I'm still rambling, aren't I?

...my balls are great (and on fire), lol?

Apologies to Jerry Lee Lewis (and everyone else ;) ).

I'm still rambling, aren't I?

Yes you are, you delightful creature. :hug:

You had me all excited with you on the scrog. Now I’ll definitely have to try. Lol!

I have large jars, and the biggest hindrance to them for curing as opposed to the bags is the sheer volume of them when it comes to storage. I’ll agree with you about the loss of surface trichomes, but to some extent this happens anyway, regardless of the storage method.

I have that grit inside my storage jars. The plan is to one day take my bottle of 151 rum and strip all of those oil drops into one kick-ass cocktail. :slide: That’s obviously not an option with the bags, but the bags offer other benefits.

Tead and l’ll be using perlite as our growing medium, for both cost-effectiveness and experience. We both have a certain affinity for perlite. :battingeyelashes: At some point experimentation may guide us in a new direction, but initially we go with what we know and already succeed in.

Incidentally, thank you @Norcaliwood, the cement mixer never occurred to me as a way to clean the perlite. We really want to use it until it can’t be used any longer. This may be the cleaning method I was hoping to find.

Had a good laugh at them shuttering the access to the dump sites when they see you coming. :rofl:

Back to TS..... :hug:

My greatest concern with the testing device is the capricious nature of LEO. The history of the militarization of our local law enforcement isn’t one of our more brilliant moments in history.

The solution may lie in the advent of self-driving vehicles. So much of our lives are defined by the presence of automobile traffic. It’s just a little disturbing sometimes.

Not that I want to walk everywhere, mind you.

It’s worth admitting that the only time I pulled out in front of a moving vehicle I was high, and had told myself not to assist that neighbor by driving her ‘cross town to leave the kitten at the shelter. That car was totaled, but thankfully no one was hurt except me, and not badly at that.

That’s all I got TS. I really hope I can get by your place on the way to NOLA. It’s been too long since I wrapped you up in a hug. :hug:

I was planning to give the guitar away. You interested? :battingeyelashes: I can very easily drop it off in my way to my new home. However I get there I see no reason not to swing by.

A little COLOR to Brighten your day crazy lady
MVIMG_20180808_070505.jpg

Hell,,,,I'm using soil and I ran outta places to waste it around here years back,, and both neighbors and the community garden down the road are hiding when they see my truck come down the road........ I may be having to look into using a dump site for good soil...
Wish you were my neighbor! I put a sign in the front of our property every fall "leaves wanted"...goes right on my compost pile...never enough...

Back
Top Bottom