SweetSue's Hempy Haven: Powered By Timber

Seriously, Moms? You'd rather have your kids giving money to gangs for their weed. Not a shred of guilt over that? Huh.
And dads? Interesting predicament there that I face. Guilt? No. Conflicted? Definitely, but not related to where the money goes.

I don't want my 16-year-old son getting high from Friday night through Sunday morning, or school nights at all, so I try to put some restrictions on it that he may or may not be adhering to.

The science on the effects of THC on developing adolescent brains is still unclear (thanks Schedule I!) and I'm trying to err on the side of caution. I know when I was his age, the dope was much lower in THC and probably higher in CBD as well (early to mid 1970s). And much harder to get, so we had to be more conservative (not to mention getting half the paid-for weight in seeds and stems).

I don't give my son my weed because I am conflicted about his use, which would - without restrictions - border on (what I consider) excessive. If you have to pay for something it puts a limit on how much you have. And I hope his money isn't going to gangs as everything he and his friends buy look like it's overstock from the pot shops in LA.

It's an ongoing internal conversation.

If I had a still I don't think I'd be supplying my kids with moonshine either.

My first plant drying and already thinking of next grow. Outside must wait till spring or see if neighbor might allow a plant in her greenhouse. Chronic pain is my challenge. Time limited with work and grand kid visits. What plant/s would you recommend?

I'd recommend something with a balanced ratio. It appears that ratio does the most consistent job of managing chronic pain. The balanced ratio plants I have are from a member-breeder, and I haven't looked for any balanced ones in a while.

Anyone here know any good balanced ones? :battingeyelashes:

Don't overlook a topical. It only takes a ratio of one gram to an ounce of carrier oil to get fabulous pain relief. You'll get it at lower concentrations, but this 1:1 concentration of bud to carrier oil does marvelous things for pain.

And dads? Interesting predicament there that I face. Guilt? No. Conflicted? Definitely, but not related to where the money goes.

I don't want my 16-year-old son getting high from Friday night through Sunday morning, or school nights at all, so I try to put some restrictions on it that he may or may not be adhering to.

The science on the effects of THC on developing adolescent brains is still unclear (thanks Schedule I!) and I'm trying to err on the side of caution. I know when I was his age, the dope was much lower in THC and probably higher in CBD as well (early to mid 1970s). And much harder to get, so we had to be more conservative (not to mention getting half the paid-for weight in seeds and stems).

I don't give my son my weed because I am conflicted about his use, which would - without restrictions - border on (what I consider) excessive. If you have to pay for something it puts a limit on how much you have. And I hope his money isn't going to gangs as everything he and his friends buy look like it's overstock from the pot shops in LA.

It's an ongoing internal conversation.

If I had a still I don't think I'd be supplying my kids with moonshine either.

If I had a still no one but oil-producers would be using the moonshine. Lol! I think we have too much fear about cannabis and the developing brain. There's a good argument to be made by many of our members that cannabis saved them from the devastation of anxiety disorders and ADHD at around 13 or so, and looking around I don't see the damage everyone's worrying about.

But I agree with your caution. We don't need our children walking around as high as their grandparents can after retirement.

If I had a still no one but oil-producers would be using the moonshine. Lol! I think we have too much fear about cannabis and the developing brain. There's a good argument to be made by many of our members that cannabis saved them from the devastation of anxiety disorders and ADHD at around 13 or so, and looking around I don't see the damage everyone's worrying about.

But I agree with your caution. We don't need our children walking around as high as their grandparents can after retirement.
I think the people you see who are productive citizens that got high as adolescents were not getting as high or as often as what I see now. Through the years, acceptance of cannabis has become more prevalent, so the generation of constant users of high THC weed is just coming into the marketplace. Additionally, the percentage of high-use teenagers is still small by comparison to occasional or non-users. My son would smoke every day if he could get away with it. My daughter just occasionally.

And while there is little doubt that treatment of childhood disorders like ADHD and anxiety with CBD/THC blends is a net positive, bombarding ECS receptors in the developing brain intuitively seems like something that should studied more before given the pass it is for grownups.

In no particular order:

We don't need our children walking around as high as their grandparents can after retirement.

LMFAO. I seem to remember that you are retired - and a grandmother ;) .

That old "stems and seeds" cannabis required some "cleaning" - but it usually came in a large paper grocery sack, lol, while I've learned that, these days, people sometimes sell cannabis by the gram. I'm not all that sure I didn't like the previous way better - but "hash oil" was always pretty simple to make.

There was a study done some while back, looking at Jamaican children and cannabis use, and intelligence, academic achievement, something like that. I don't remember much about it, but I think it might have been one of those long-term studies that tracks the subjects over time. Maybe you can hunt it up.

My first plant drying and already thinking of next grow. Outside must wait till spring or see if neighbor might allow a plant in her greenhouse. Chronic pain is my challenge. Time limited with work and grand kid visits. What plant/s would you recommend?

@sierrahiker, let me give that another go. I still recommend the topical, made with a high THC, but I wanted to leave you how I'd approach it with ratios.

* Start with a balanced ratio and give it a few days to see if your body responds to it.

* If you're not getting the relief you want start adding in CBD - 1:2, then 1:3, and finally 1:5.

* If you don't have relief at 1:5 begin adding in more THC, but in balance with CBD, so that you're keeping the 1:5 ratio of CBD dominance. Micro dose it in from here. You want the least amount of THC necessary for relief, the minimal therapeutic dose.

This approach is much easier to do when you have access to oils that are balanced as well as some high in THC and some higher in CBD. Another option is a powdered CBD isolate, which can be added to bring ratios where you want them.

Most chronic pain is accompanied by inflammatory response run amock. The higher CBD levels may counter that without exciting the system more with THC. Because THC's euphoric effects are tempered by CBD this keep euphoria under control.

The simpler method is to grow something with a balanced ratio, another with high THC and use that isolate powder to formulate your special blend. Then you have a base medicine and options. High THC hits pain immediately, so you want it around for breakthrough.

And you thought this was as easy as grow one plant and find relief. Yeah....I started there too. Lol!

And while there is little doubt that treatment of childhood disorders like ADHD and anxiety with CBD/THC blends is a net positive, bombarding ECS receptors in the developing brain intuitively seems like something that should studied more before given the pass it is for grownups.

Agreed. Let's get it descheduled so these studies can begin in earnest. :battingeyelashes:

You know, they keep stepping out with data that shows that teen use of cannabis drops in states that legalize.

Thank you @TorturedSoul. I'll go looking. :hug:

dont have kids so cant really say much other than i agree with caution, but i have smoked every day since i got my license at 16 and i cant say i have had any negative effects and i know many, like graytail, who have smoked for 50+years, and no ill effects either.

But go back even further generations... Cannabis grew wild, alot of the food they ate was free range, most likely ingesting cannabis along the way, which was then consumed by our ancestors, young and old... And what alot of them used for medicine along with other herbal remedies.... So in my head, cannabis use is probably the least of todays youths worries.

That old "stems and seeds" cannabis required some "cleaning" - but it usually came in a large paper grocery sack
I don't know when or where you grew up (or how much cash on hand you had!), but in the early 70s in NYC I never saw anything bigger than a dime bag, and nickel bags was all we ever bought.
Maybe you can hunt it up
Thank you @TorturedSoul. I'll go looking
Funny, I was going to say "You brought it up, you find it!"

I don't know when or where you grew up (or how much cash on hand you had!), but in the early 70s in NYC I never saw anything bigger than a dime bag, and nickel bags was all we ever bought.

In all likelihood he's already on the trail. :battingeyelashes: :love:

I can still remember lids. I'd forgotten how much of it turned out to be seeds and stems. When we were purchasing an eighth a day that used to piss me off something fierce. We smoked every tiny piece.

I still do that now. If I dump a bowl and it's partially uncooked, I pick it up and drop it back into the bowl. Lol! " Leave no cannabinoid behind!"

I think the people you see who are productive citizens that got high as adolescents were not getting as high or as often as what I see now.

I got high every day from my 11th birthday until... not as recently as I would like. Can you define "productive," please? If it's equated with how much money a person makes, I'm slightly above the folks that live down by the river in tent city. But I try to help people out in the real world as and when I can, and have pretty much always been that way.

With that having been typed, my academic performance was minimal. Although I did other substances ("many and varied" :rolleyes: ) all along the way - because I wanted the escape from reality, so I don't think of myself as any kind of... measuring stick(?). I did everything that did not require a needle in order to consume it and, really, that's pretty much everything, especially if one has a basic understanding of chemistry. Cannabis is mild/harmless, lol.

But the average kid... he/she should be... to a kid, things are new, there should be a sense of wonder about so much that adults take for granted... I wouldn't want my hypothetical kid to be a consumer of "substances," because he/she would miss the opportunity to experience such things "unaltered."

And, yes, the brain is still forming. That's fact, not speculation. To some extent, it isn't even finished by age 18.

Specifically in regards to cannabis, there is another thing to think about: We're happy about the fact that one cannot actually fall over dead from consuming too much cannabis - unlike, for example, alcohol - but that sort of means that there's no... You drink a little too much alcohol once in a while, no worries, lol. But alcohol poisoning gets old, becoming (more or less) conscious whilst someone is performing a gastric lavage is NO FUN AT ALL, and puking up blood is, quite literally, a sobering experience. You don't get those <COUGH> "little signs" with cannabis.

Additionally, the percentage of high-use teenagers is still small by comparison to occasional or non-users. My son would smoke every day if he could get away with it. My daughter just occasionally.

And I assume it would be correct to say that she could consume more, if she really wanted? It has almost always been easy to get around here, yet I saw that a lot when I was growing up. And it's not because people were drinking Nancy's koolaid, either. Just... a lot of people didn't want to walk around high (or, for the indica lovers, stoned) all the time. I don't know about your son, but I have, whatever you call them, consumption issues, I guess. I don't exactly have the "junkie personality" where a person runs out and immediately plans/plots how to get the next serving of "substance." But if I've got a thing, it's probably not going to last very long at all. Take cigarettes, for example. I don't buy them by the carton even when I can afford the purchase - because I'm liable to be out of smokes two days later, maybe three. If I'm really, really careful, I can make a pack last three days - but it's a constant, conscious thing. Otherwise, it's one right after the other. Give me a six-pack of Dr. Pepper first thing in the morning and we both might think, "That'll last a few days." But I'll probably be out before bedtime. Et cetera.

It just occurred to me that the "losers" I grew up with (and, often, among) weren't labeled as such because of their drug use. Just misfits, lol. The drug use was just a thing. I guess kids aren't stupid. Some of the gifted program students consumed a pretty substantial amount of substances, too. And one could have one foot in both camps, so to speak.

:thumb:

I don't even know if adults... I bet the person who consumes at a very light rate gets more enjoyment out of each bud than someone like me does. Because it's a "treat." Special occasion kind of thing. Still makes them smile, yeah?

Lol. I feel for the kids growing up in concrete jungles. Not the adults, who can move. But the kids.

I grew up in a location where dads were teaching their sons (and no few of their daughters) how to use a rifle and shotgun, and general firearms safety/responsibility... while those children were still in grade school. Because you don't give someone firearms without educating them about same.

I grew up in a location where "gang" meant a group of kids on the playground, having fun.

I grew up in a location where the produce was often picked from the back yard, where "sweet corn" really was (because the water was boiling when you were picking the ears), and where half the meat was as fresh as the game warden would allow ;) . Or it was beef that came to you because your aunt had just butchered a cow.

From New York City, I guess you could say... Mars :rofl:.

Lol. But I already read it. I did do a quick word-search of my web browser's bookmarks, but I didn't find it - and I've probably got well over 10,000 bookmarks, so a manual line-by-line search of them is unrealistic.

Still makes me smile TS. :battingeyelashes: Every bud.

Granted, I'm as guilty as the next of mindless consumption while surfing the threads, but I spent too many years knowing I'd have to A) scrape together the money, and B) get out there and find it, which was never as comfortable as the dispensaries hope to be, and do that EVERY DAY.

I bookmarked the post where Graytail and I celebrated my first harvest with the gleeful cry of

:yahoo: "Jars of it! :yahoo:

It was the day I realized I wasn't a slave to cannabis anymore. I was producing my own supply and taking myself out of the underground market. So yeah..... every bud I break open that fills my senses with joyful terpenes floating into the nostrils quickens the blood and raises the senses that I'm getting ready to enjoy a "treat." :battingeyelashes:

I can still remember lids.

For the most part, it's just what we called ounces. People were actually familiar with triple-beams around here by 1980.

I'd forgotten how much of it turned out to be seeds and stems. When we were purchasing an eighth a day that used to piss me off something fierce.

I only had to deal with that when my brother would get tired of me raiding his stash and threaten to beat my arse. He was a pretty major dealer for years, and that began when he was still in high school, possibly even junior high. Mom used to gripe at me for not selling Grit newspapers on the corner. "You might not want to, but look at your brother - he bought his first car when he turned 16 by paying cash, and it was only a year old!" Yes, I was tempted to explain reality to her, but never did.

We smoked every tiny piece.

Condolences are in order.

I still do that now. If I dump a bowl and it's partially uncooked, I pick it up and drop it back into the bowl. Lol! " Leave no cannabinoid behind!"

Yes, but do you put stems into your bowl in the first place?

Still makes me smile TS.

Sure, but you're a special case. You'd probably smile at the thought of a couple broken-down old hillbillies limping up your stairs without a gift between them to give.

That childlike sense of wonder has, somehow, stayed with you. And that's awesome. Not everyone has managed to hold on to the magic...

I want to be like you when I grow up ;) .

@sierrahiker, let me give that another go. I still recommend the topical, made with a high THC, but I wanted to leave you how I'd approach it with ratios.

* Start with a balanced ratio and give it a few days to see if your body responds to it.

* If you're not getting the relief you want start adding in CBD - 1:2, then 1:3, and finally 1:5.

* If you don't have relief at 1:5 begin adding in more THC, but in balance with CBD, so that you're keeping the 1:5 ratio of CBD dominance. Micro dose it in from here. You want the least amount of THC necessary for relief, the minimal therapeutic dose.

This approach is much easier to do when you have access to oils that are balanced as well as some high in THC and some higher in CBD. Another option is a powdered CBD isolate, which can be added to bring ratios where you want them.

Most chronic pain is accompanied by inflammatory response run amock. The higher CBD levels may counter that without exciting the system more with THC. Because THC's euphoric effects are tempered by CBD this keep euphoria under control.

The simpler method is to grow something with a balanced ratio, another with high THC and use that isolate powder to formulate your special blend. Then you have a base medicine and options. High THC hits pain immediately, so you want it around for breakthrough.

And you thought this was as easy as grow one plant and find relief. Yeah....I started there too. Lol!
Having your own plant is like eating those fresh picked vine ripe tomatoes. It won't be easy to use anything but home grown now. Funny, I started my small plant with a tomato cage to disguise it.

My last topical was made in pressure cooker with grape seed oil following recipe you posted. Spray it on and rub. Absorbs quickly and works great. I use it often.

Was making tincture from 1:1 oil bought from dispensary. Made a CBD oil from isolate also. I only use minimum needed when working. Evenings will use more. Started with only CBD but didn't touch the pain from failed back surgeries. Now I sometimes I forget to use CBD. May make up some balanced capsules to remember easily. I like the idea of a consistent baseline.

My plant was a gift, LSD, high in THC. So may combine some isolate to balance out the ratio. I ordered a temp gun to make oil on stove. When arrives will play there also.

Good idea to grow a balanced plant and one high in THC. Would give options. Pain is not a constant so options are good. Appreciate your guidance here. Wow, you started with one plant. What a fun journey, maybe I can follow your trail. Appreciate your guidance.

Can you define "productive," please?
I was semi-quoting Sue's "euphoria" thread. I can define productive only as it pertains to living up to the potential of your youth, all things considered.
To some extent, it isn't even finished by age 18.
The science says adolescence ends (and therefore the brain is "done") by 24/25 years old.
We're happy about the fact that one cannot actually fall over dead from consuming too much cannabis - unlike, for example, alcohol
This is what I tell my son. Cannabis okay, alcohol hardly ever. No one sexually assaults or falls over and breaks something because they're "blackout" high!
she could consume more, if she really wanted?
I actually sent her to college with some of my AK-47. She shouldn't have to pay for it. It's an occasional treat for her as she's more of a drinker for pleasure, much to my chagrin! And dean's list as well.
I grew up in a location where "gang" meant a group of kids on the playground, having fun.
I grew up the same way, long before gangs in NY and the crack epidemic. Junkies sleeping in doorways in Times Square was the worst I saw growing up. Meat however, came from the A&P.
quick word-search of my web browser's bookmarks
If you can't find it using "Jamaica," it isn't there!

Back
Top Bottom