Tall enough to flip?

Tricomedome

These are Bruce Banner photos and wondered if I should flip to 12/12 or not. They are about 11/2 feet tall. 5 gallon coco loco and about 7-8 weeks veg.
20231030_195204.jpg
20231030_195423.jpg

If you are asking are they mature enough, then sure, they look ready to me. Photoperiod plants can be put to flowering light hours any time after they reach maturity, which is typically around 30 days I think, sometimes longer if the light quality is low.

To clarify since I didn't realize you asked your question specifically about the height.... They will 'stretch' after you switch to 12/12. How much is dependent on light quality, overall conditions/nutrition, and genetics.

As @Sueet mentioned, as soon as they are mature enough (alternating nodes rather than opposites ones) they are mature enough to flower. Then it's grower's choice. Longer in veg, the bigger the plant and harvest usually.

From there many growers try to maximize their grow space. The plants will stretch taller after flip between 2-3 times as tall as they were at flip generally, so determine how far away from the lights you need to keep them (per manufacturer's directions) and flip when they are a third to a half as tall as that.

How much stretch depends on several things including the number of growing tips. The more tip then the less likely the plant will grow all the way to the ceiling. Instead of stretching 3 feet it might only stretch 6 inches because the growth hormones,etc are split up among 24 main growing tips. One the reasons experimenting with various training methods can come in handy especially if the distance to the lights is rather limited.

How much stretch depends on several things including the number of growing tips. The more tip then the less likely the plant will grow all the way to the ceiling. Instead of stretching 3 feet it might only stretch 6 inches because the growth hormones,etc are split up among 24 main growing tips. One the reasons experimenting with various training methods can come in handy especially if the distance to the lights is rather limited.
That's exactly what I do. I quadline them but let several of the middle nodes grow to keep height down. My flower box is only 3' tall, and that's before deducting for light and pot height.

My opinion(which has been disputed) but I would go to 14/10 for a month then go to 12/12. I had two tents with the same plant in each. I had one on 14/10 for a month by mistake. When I switched it to 12/12 it exploded and the buds are twice as fat as the tent that was on 12/12 the whole time. People have argued it could just be coincidence since I can’t prove they all came from the same mother yadda yadda. But I watched the growth daily and the tent that went from 14/10 to 12/12 exploded after the switch while the 12/12 plant just plodded along. This is just my observations and lots of ‘experts’ have denied it was from the light change so take it as you will. In the pics the first plant was 12/12 the whole time. The second plant was 14/10 then 12/12. They were all planted and sprouted together.

IMG_7443.jpeg

IMG_7445.jpeg

My opinion(which has been disputed) but I would go to 14/10 for a month then go to 12/12. I had two tents with the same plant in each. I had one on 14/10 for a month by mistake. When I switched it to 12/12 it exploded and the buds are twice as fat as the tent that was on 12/12 the whole time. People have argued it could just be coincidence since I can’t prove they all came from the same mother yadda yadda. But I watched the growth daily and the tent that went from 14/10 to 12/12 exploded after the switch while the 12/12 plant just plodded along. This is just my observations and lots of ‘experts’ have denied it was from the light change so take it as you will. In the pics the first plant was 12/12 the whole time. The second plant was 14/10 then 12/12. They were all planted and sprouted together.
As I said in your thread where you first brought it up, it seems incredibly obvious to me that the plant that got more light hours SHOULD be noticeably larger and stronger - The thing I want to know at this point, is what is it that makes you think it is surprising?

Why do you believe that the plant with less hours should be equal to the plant that got more? What is it that you think people are disputing about your findings?

My opinion(which has been disputed) but I would go to 14/10 for a month then go to 12/12.
are you giving it 14 hrs of light or 14 hrs of dark ?

As I said in your thread where you first brought it up, it seems incredibly obvious to me that the plant that got more light hours SHOULD be noticeably larger and stronger - The thing I want to know at this point, is what is it that makes you think it is surprising?

i agree but let's find out what he actually did.

edit : doesn't really matter since the finish looks so nice.

I just want to know if I am missing something.

depends on what the answer is. did you give the plant 14hrs of light before 12 / 12 or 14 hrs of dark ?

you said you gave them 14/10. is the 14 light cycle or dark cycle ?

The experts are saying there are too many other variables to say it was the light change. They were all the same type of seed from the same seller sprouted at the same time.
The #1 variable is that each plant was from a different seed. Even if they were the same strain and same seller there is no guarantee that they were from the same female and male parent plants. And even if they were the genetic code allows a wide variety between those seeds.

Ditto on SmokingWings, any observations made when starting plants from seed simply doesn’t count.

The only way to have identical plants or only way to have plants from same mother is to cut clones from the exact same host plant & root them out.

any comparison made from plants that were started from seed is merely an anecdotal observation. For example 6 white widow seeds pulled from the same bud or 6 white widow seeds purchased in a pack from a breeder do not produce 6 identical white widow sister plants. Never has… never will.

Each bean is unique and each bean will produce a unique plant… the tricky part is they all look like weed plants but each seed produces a one of a kind plant that is different from its siblings. This is merely genetic phenotypes at work.

One of the 6 WW beans may produce a short fat indica plant while the 2nd WW bean may produce a lanky sativa leaner strain, while the 3rd bean could produce more hybrid mix and so on down the line.

for any real test to be valid it simply must start with clones… clones are living pieces of the exact same plant as mom but grown out separately. The rule of the clone is 3 fold, a clone is always the same age, always the same genetics and always the same gender… as the host plant it was cut from.

Ohoh! That's gonna be a sight to behold.
As 2 months of veg indoor is pretty long
That depends on whether it was started as a seed or clone and the type of container you veg in. Two months from clone in a SIP will definitely push the size limits, but other styles won't get as big in that amount of time.

I started one tent on 14 light and 10 dark. The other 12/12. They were both growing equally but when I dropped the 14/10 to 12/12 it exploded.

all things being equal - you will always have a bigger plant if you give it more daylight hours at the beginning. you're simply vegging the plant. of course it's going to be larger if you run 14/10 from go. normally you'd run 18/6 before flipping to 12/12 and achieve even larger plants than what you experienced.

short answer is there is nothing even remotely strange or interesting in the results.

See everyone has an opinion and I respect them all. I will say I watched the growth daily and I saw the change happen right when I switched the lighting from 14/10 to 12/12. So in my opinion the lighting change caused the explosion. It would also have to be a big coin it that I just happened to pull the one plant out of three that was so different and left the other two who ended up exploding in the one tent. I pulled the single guy because it was the healthiest but the other two leaped past it once I switched from 14/10 to 12/12. So as I mentioned in my very first post take it as you will but maybe try 14/10 then 12/12 what can it hurt right?

See everyone has an opinion and I respect them all. I will say I watched the growth daily and I saw the change happen right when I switched the lighting from 14/10 to 12/12. So in my opinion the lighting change caused the explosion. It would also have to be a big coin it that I just happened to pull the one plant out of three that was so different and left the other two who ended up exploding in the one tent. I pulled the single guy because it was the healthiest but the other two leaped past it once I switched from 14/10 to 12/12. So as I mentioned in my very first post take it as you will but maybe try 14/10 then 12/12 what can it hurt right?
Was that a photo plant? If so, all you did was kick it into flower (and thereby stretch mode) so it's no surprise that plant leaped just after flip. That's pretty standard behavior.

Back
Top Bottom