Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

Hello lazyfish! :thanks:

Forgot to add: oil extracted from cobs seems to be of the highest prime quality and fully decarbed, ready to use with no further "refinements" (you can just chew a piece of the cob and get really high for hours). Tangwena mentioned this several times in the thread...

So it may be a perfect companion to make BioBombs. It will be also a better, more controlled and faster procedure than traditional curing prior to oil extraction to produce homogeneous results everytime IMO.

Thinking also safest, as cobs become mostly a substrate (cellulose, etc) impregnated with ready to extract oil, no need for anything other than Dexso (Dimethyl Ether) or similar bi-polar solvent to extract prime cannabis oil with no heating or any dangerous processes involved.

Of course the increase in effects duration and cleanliness / lack of "burnt" landing (strain related too) will be great for those medicating with them.

One thing to note is by Tangwena experience, the long-lasting , trippy, re-ocurring effects in waves so unique to cob effect seems related to sublingual absorption (hence his method of chewing first for a good time without swallowing), so maybe taking the oil directly in the mouth instead of digested pills should be also experimented.

Hmmm.....lost that post somewhere. If it turns up on someone's grow journal let me know.Lol!

Sweat box fun :slide:

I've been playing with the sweat box, which has been performing wonderfully. For the most part it holds nicely at 104 degrees once it's up to temperature.

Too hot? Take a layer or two off.

Too cold? Add on a layer or two.

When I forced myself to go back to bed at 4 AM the temps were coldest, dropping to around 102, so I covered it and went to slip between the sheets. Four hours later it had spiked to 107. A couple hours of higher temps won't hurt much. I've gotten it back down to 104.

Wanna peek inside? :battingeyelashes: You know you do. Lol!

Just over 10 hours to go. :slide:

Looking great Sue...... Morning hugs

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

I despise trying to type anything on 420 anymore. Great Ganga forbid I make a mistake and try to backtrack to correct it. Easier to publish and edit than try to back up a few spaces. Slow a** POS.

BTW, that's lecithin that's been refrigerated right ? :(

I don't refrigerate my lecithin. It's kept in a shaded area in my kitchen, which stays a pleasant 70-72. I refrigerate olive oil that's been improved with lecithin to let it encase the molecules, but not coconut oil, which'll go solid at room temp. I play a solid to liquid game with the coconut a couple times before I. Use it in the brownies.

My biggest challenge with composing is that by the time the system catches up with me I've lost the train of thought. Lol!

Looking great Sue...... Morning hugs

Now THAT's the way to start a joyful day. :battingeyelashes:

Hydrogen peroxide at the dilution used for bud washing probably isn’t strong enough to kill bacteria in the time the wash is in contact with the plant material. Assuming one is starting with 3% H2O2, at a 1:3 mix it will be at .75%, and even less at a 1:4 or 1:5 dilution (math is hard - can’t figure the percentage in my head).

My thought is that bud washing is more of a mechanical/physical process, and not a chemical/antiseptic process, and so there should be plenty of microbes left to grow for fermentation.

Thank you BigBear. That thought was buzzing around the corners of my overloaded brain. :battingeyelashes:

A few thoughts....
Can't one just wash the plant at harvest, hang it for a few days and cob away? Am I missing some idea here?
I don't have a heating mat, so the idea of using a light as a heat source inside a box with some sort of cover over the fermenting MJ to keep the light away seems like a workable option. I'll kick those tires soon and give it a try. I just dug up my vacuum pump thingy that's 20yrs old, yet never opened..... one of the odd little bits that survived the storm.

I think BigBear settled this. His thoughts rang true to me. How 'bout you?

See? You have the food saver already. I love it when the universe is so obvious in showing you the path. :yahoo:

Rolling right along, eh, Sue? I can't wait to see that cob come out. Definitely show it to Tangwena.

He got pictures of the cobs before you all did. I even loaded them into their gallery first. Respect. :circle-of-love:

I wish I could try this out sometime, but I hardly ever get enough to do any of these long curing processes. I was noticing the test results though. I was talking to my analytics company, and they were telling me there could be +/- 5-10% variances even within the same bud depending on where the sampling was done. So if you took a large 12" long cola, the bottom 6" would be more potent than the top. Just wondering if that could have something to do with the increase.

Hello lazyfish! :thanks:

Forgot to add: oil extracted from cobs seems to be of the highest prime quality and fully decarbed, ready to use with no further "refinements" (you can just chew a piece of the cob and get really high for hours). Tangwena mentioned this several times in the thread...

So it may be a perfect companion to make BioBombs. It will be also a better, more controlled and faster procedure than traditional curing prior to oil extraction to produce homogeneous results everytime IMO.

Thinking also safest, as cobs become mostly a substrate (cellulose, etc) impregnated with ready to extract oil, no need for anything other than Dexso (Dimethyl Ether) or similar bi-polar solvent to extract prime cannabis oil with no heating or any dangerous processes involved.

Of course the increase in effects duration and cleanliness / lack of "burnt" landing (strain related too) will be great for those medicating with them.

One thing to note is by Tangwena experience, the long-lasting , trippy, re-ocurring effects in waves so unique to cob effect seems related to sublingual absorption (hence his method of chewing first for a good time without swallowing), so maybe taking the oil directly in the mouth instead of digested pills should be also experimented.

You really got my attention here repuk. It's time to call in KingstonRabbi.

I wish I could try this out sometime, but I hardly ever get enough to do any of these long curing processes. I was noticing the test results though. I was talking to my analytics company, and they were telling me there could be +/- 5-10% variances even within the same bud depending on where the sampling was done. So if you took a large 12" long cola, the bottom 6" would be more potent than the top. Just wondering if that could have something to do with the increase.

Well, to begin with we'll have to do something about increasing your yields. :hug: I've been where you are in production. You keep at it with these guys watching over your shoulder and you'll get there. Helping each other get to harvest with more than enough is one of the things I believe this forum does best.

There are many ways to skin that cat Fertilizer. If you suddenly came into enough stock to allow you to do a cob or two...... You see what I mean? I've been on the recieving end of tremendous generosity since landing here. Grab that satisfied feeling of getting ready to open your first cob, and every time you think of this, I want you to deliberately grab for that feeling and hold it for at least 17 seconds.

Can you do that for me? I think you'll be surprised at how quickly the universe will put you in that precise moment of joy. Humor me. Ask Duggan how effective this technique is.

Secondly, you can cob buds without the husks and still get improved effect. You can sweat and cob smaller versions too. The sweat and fermentation process only takes 8-15 days and then you cure the three months you normally would. Cure for less time. It'll still send you on a delicious trip.

I'm going to be trying the canary buds at the end of the fermentation process. I'm pretty sure I'll start curing most of my harvests like that. If the daughter is good with the enhanced effects, at a much reduced dose than her mother enjoys, that'll seal it, no pun intended. Lol!

I was noticing the test results though. I was talking to my analytics company, and they were telling me there could be +/- 5-10% variances even within the same bud depending on where the sampling was done. So if you took a large 12" long cola, the bottom 6" would be more potent than the top. Just wondering if that could have something to do with the increase.

A couple years back I read an interview with some hot-shot rising-star extraction company in Colorado that mentioned their contention that the strongest oils came from the lower parts of the plant in those popcorn buds we sneer at and pull off. Since then I've had more respect for what the plant does in the lower reaches to keep animals from nibbling.

Hello SweetSue, not used to the speed of posting here, didn't saw your post! :circle-of-love:

Can't do more than compose on the phone and the iPad types slow as pouring liquid sunflower lecithin. *sigh*
I despise trying to type anything on 420 anymore. Great Ganga forbid I make a mistake and try to backtrack to correct it. Easier to publish and edit than try to back up a few spaces. Slow a** POS.

BTW, that's lecithin that's been refrigerated right ? :(

LOL...

Sounds like javascript and predictive text / corrector may be getting in the way, try disabling settings related to that on iOS Preferences.

And another question, I haven't seen this brought up so.......when the cob is "done" what is the method to store it? Do you just break it up and store it in jar? I get you can leave them vac sealed for long term storage but what about the cobs you are actively using?

Break it up and store in your stash jar those you'll be consuming, store the rest vacced for long-term storage.

Regarding the wash... I guess the last one can be done one or two weeks prior to chop, guess foliar feeding is not used on the latest two weeks?

Regarding the sweat phase, anything that keeps a constant temp around 40C/104F will do... but be safe and by all means avoid any fire hazards!

This is similar to yoghurt making. Granma taught me how to make about 2L of fresh yoghurt daily with a very simple method using only kitchen supplies.

I took a big pressure cooker pot, capable of containing a second pot submerged in water.

This second pot contained the milk and "yoghurt" starter.

I put the smaller pot (empty) inside the big one, and poured water between them while pressing it towards the bottom until water level was short an inch from the smaller pot lid.

By that time, the big pot had exactly the amount of water I needed; I took out the small pot, brought the pressure cooker (uncapped) water to boiling point, took it out of the stove, and put aside letting it sit until you could stick your hand on the water for short time without scolding; then put the small pot inside, and filled it; its weight submerged it just to the right level.

I put the big pressure cooker cap, closed and tightened it and let it sit overnight... by the next day 2L of creamy yogurt were ready.

I'm not suggesting using this method but I'm sure anyone can replicate such steady, around 104F temperature environment with household items... use your imagination but play it safe!

Thinking also that if yoghurt making worked that fine, even while temperature will be slooooowly decreasing, sweat should also work; for the organisms to have a thriving environment the key is avoiding abrupt temperature changes more than keeping an exact temp throughout.

If you don't have any other means and want to try this, you can do a test w/o putting the cobs inside; pour hot water straight from the tap on the small pot, measure the temp prior to closing and tightening the pressure cooker, then measure again after 12h.

A couple years back I read an interview with some hot-shot rising-star extraction company in Colorado that mentioned their contention that the strongest oils came from the lower parts of the plant in those popcorn buds we sneer at and pull off. Since then I've had more respect for what the plant does in the lower reaches to keep animals from nibbling.

I'll share with you one video from CannaTech 2017 from a guy named Bill Levine with a company known as CannaRx. Anyway, the part that interested me was when he talked about the plant. He said: "The quality standards need to be raised. OTOH, we're dealing with an unbelievable complex plant that varies within the same genomic strain from two different green houses. In fact it varies within the same plant when buds are harvested from the bottom of the plant to the top of the plant."

It's at the 1 minute mark if you look at the video:
Cannabis Video

I'm not as consistent as the guys are with the foliars, and they can be spaced up to 10 days apart, so I'll be sure to do some type of shower ten days out and let them rebuild the biosphere before harvest.

Many of those gathered and drinking in the information grow with Doc Bud's HIgh Brix Blend kit. The kit is particularly effective with good sativa chemovars, and ACE genetics is preferred by many. That kit uses foliars right up to the day of harvest, knowing we plan to wash the buds.

Hmmmmm..... getting a comparison with only one plant of the chemovar will be tricky. I have some solo cups running that may give me enough to make a comparison, but they'd be little cobs. It's already strong enough to knock a big man on his butt. Lol!

I tried turning off predictive text, and it made no difference.

Hydrogen peroxide at the dilution used for bud washing probably isn’t strong enough to kill bacteria in the time the wash is in contact with the plant material. Assuming one is starting with 3% H2O2, at a 1:3 mix it will be at .75%, and even less at a 1:4 or 1:5 dilution (math is hard - can’t figure the percentage in my head).

My thought is that bud washing is more of a mechanical/physical process, and not a chemical/antiseptic process, and so there should be plenty of microbes left to grow for fermentation.

Agree... I think you'll have to test.

I had my worst crop ever recently... ideal cob size lies at 1,5-2oz, but that's not set in stone, use whatever amount... I made a half oz cob (the rest of the crop had dried too much).

I'll share with you one video from CannaTech 2017 from a guy named Bill Levine with a company known as CannaRx. Anyway, the part that interested me was when he talked about the plant. He said: "The quality standards need to be raised. OTOH, we're dealing with an unbelievable complex plant that varies within the same genomic strain from two different green houses. In fact it varies within the same plant when buds are harvested from the bottom of the plant to the top of the plant."

It's at the 1 minute mark if you look at the video:
Cannabis Video

Jim, every time I turn around you take my breath away. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

I'll be moving this one to my class notes thread and start a new stream of thought. MUAH!

I want that cute little kiss emoticon back. :battingeyelashes:

I'm not as consistent as the guys are with the foliars, and they can be spaced up to 10 days apart, so I'll be sure to do some type of shower ten days out and let them rebuild the biosphere before harvest.

That's pretty sound, problem solved :)

I tried turning off predictive text, and it made no difference.

Look for Safari preferences, or try a different browser altoghether, chrome can (or could) be installed on iOS...

Look for Safari preferences, or try a different browser altoghether, chrome can (or could) be installed on iOS...

I'm working in Chrome. We're pretty sure it's the new platform.

Well, to begin with we'll have to do something about increasing your yields. :hug: I've been where you are in production. You keep at it with these guys watching over your shoulder and you'll get there. Helping each other get to harvest with more than enough is one of the things I believe this forum does best.

There are many ways to skin that cat Fertilizer. If you suddenly came into enough stock to allow you to do a cob or two...... You see what I mean? I've been on the recieving end of tremendous generosity since landing here. Grab that satisfied feeling of getting ready to open your first cob, and every time you think of this, I want you to deliberately grab for that feeling and hold it for at least 17 seconds.

Can you do that for me? I think you'll be surprised at how quickly the universe will put you in that precise moment of joy. Humor me. Ask Duggan how effective this technique is.

Secondly, you can cob buds without the husks and still get improved effect. You can sweat and cob smaller versions too. The sweat and fermentation process only takes 8-15 days and then you cure the three months you normally would. Cure for less time. It'll still send you on a delicious trip.

I'm going to be trying the canary buds at the end of the fermentation process. I'm pretty sure I'll start curing most of my harvests like that. If the daughter is good with the enhanced effects, at a much reduced dose than her mother enjoys, that'll seal it, no pun intended. Lol!
It WOULD be nice to do especially 'cause I have some nice Panama x Malawi. I'll probably have enough this harvest *knocks on wood*

Back
Top Bottom