The Green Help-Me Hotline

re: The Green Help-Me Hotline

SourSkunkD, thanks for coming by, and if that is what i think it is you really shouldn't be growing in JUST that its PH is too high from what i have heard, but it is fine to mix with soil, if you can take a picture like Direless it will help me know what that the peat moss really is, your Ph should be around 6.5 too man :D

hey green hope you can help me out...so about a month ago I planted a seedling at my grandparents house because it gets great son and water..Just today I went over there and the little bugger had grown alot...It now probably stands at about 1.5ft and has 5 sets of leaves...My concern is the stem...I have literally have given this thing nothing and let mother nature take its course for a while and the results ended up being really good...I just recently switched another plant I had into a soil with nutrients and am currently fighting off what I believe to be Nutrient burn so I am a little wary about giving this guy any nutes because it has done so well without them up to this point and I fear more bad then good will come from it ..I am a first time grower and have 2 females I hope to flower but if this stem doesn't get stronger it will never be able to yield a good amount of buds...Any help will be immensely appreciated
Thanks alot
~Cmitch

BELD_003.jpg

Hey Green, Although Aero is not your expertise I really appreciate being able to bounce Ideas around.

As I look at the nutrient availibiltiy I wonder if I am just not lowering my Ph enough. I rarely get down to 5.2, but perhaps I should and allow it to drift up to 5.8 or 5.9. I also just read that Mn gets lock out with excessive Iron which comes in a chelated form in my flower nutes (not sure exactly what chelated means, but isn't it supposed to help absorbtion through a broader band of Ph?). I also read somewhere that some pumps can add Iron to tubs. I should probably get inline pumps and move the pumps out of my tubs anyway.

"Chelation" is a fancy way of saying absorbing heavy elements, in real life it takes a long time to break down elements into the ones used readily by plants. Think about the way macro and micro nutes look before being broke down, Magnesium, iron, yadayadayada. The pictures of buildings and rocks comes to mind for me. Considdering most nutes that have things for chelation are made up of synthetics that mimic the natural elements but are not identical, to bridge that gap companies use sythetics acids to help the plant uptake the nutes easier, by doing this Ph becomes less of an issue because plants absorb things at a wider margin but it also stresses the plants out by making them produce when they want to finish or possibly grow taller when they want to flower. the way i understand it, it just makes the plant work REALLY hard. To me great cannabis is like a painting, yes you can draw a great picture quickly but it is the fine lines, shadows, and undertones that are added when taking your time that are the true joys in smoking, for instance i know that last 2 weeks are when the majority of the flavor turpins are created, so my thinking is that if the plant is too worried about producing more girth the flavor with degrade because it doesn't focus the energy like it normally would.

But yeah i think slightly lowering your Ph will help you i think, and i have no idea about iron in water pumps? Thanks for coming by man and of course bounce any ideas off of me, I like to think of myself as a learner and thinker and anythings you guys bring to me that might be slightly foreign you can trust that i go and do research before i answer, im no expert and i wouldn't want to mislead anyone into problems lol.

but i do really think we have got your problem knocked out :D

hey green hope you can help me out...so about a month ago I planted a seedling at my grandparents house because it gets great son and water..Just today I went over there and the little bugger had grown alot...It now probably stands at about 1.5ft and has 5 sets of leaves...My concern is the stem...I have literally have given this thing nothing and let mother nature take its course for a while and the results ended up being really good...I just recently switched another plant I had into a soil with nutrients and am currently fighting off what I believe to be Nutrient burn so I am a little wary about giving this guy any nutes because it has done so well without them up to this point and I fear more bad then good will come from it ..I am a first time grower and have 2 females I hope to flower but if this stem doesn't get stronger it will never be able to yield a good amount of buds...Any help will be immensely appreciated
Thanks alot
~Cmitch

Hey man, are your Gparents plants in pots or in the ground, If they are in pots like i figure they are, it sounds like they need one of two things if they are not yellowing? they need to be put in a bigger pot possibly, and also Calcium and magnesium is used by the plant to increase cell ridgity and to help deal with stresses, if in pots and your Gparents use well water they probably are not getting any unless you added Ground oyster shells or granular anzomite or something.

Come back and tell me what pot size the plants are in or if they are and i will get back to you on the nutes :D

Also bring some pictures of the plants that you might have burn i will take a look, are you Ph ing your water?

Hey green does lighting on 16/8 make a difference in females? Instead of 18/6? Or is that a crock?

Hey green does lighting on 16/8 make a difference in females? Instead of 18/6? Or is that a crock?

Depending on the region where they come from will depend on their photo sensitivity, one strain could do fine with that much light and another one could be that 8 hours of darkness is the plants trigger to flower. some people profer to run slightly altered schedules in the prosuit of greater yields or more impressive resin profiles.

Hey N.W. Green, Thank you soo much for taking the time to explain your expierience with curing and drying, in a very understandable format!!!! Very Awesome!! Can I write you in for president in 2012? !!

I pulled a test nug, well rather a test cola from my blue dragons and so far it has been hang drying in my walk-in closet for 5 days now, the vegatative color green is starting to fade slightly, as well as the bud feels very light compared to 5 days ago. Wet it was 11.1g and today it was only 5.8g...but still feels moist and not dry yet... the humidity here in Socal has been rather high these last few days, around 50% so I know it will take longer for it to dry out. The bud is keeping the nice blueberry sweet aroma and doesn't smell "greeny" which I like so far... but is very fluffy but dense/ squeeze it and it popps right back up. The stem is a little tougher to bend, but still is not near snapping. So I am guessing another 2 to 4 days for drying at least before jaring it.

I will post some photo's of it wet, and then drying...It is looking rather beautiful as it is tightening up!!

I very much like your idea about harvesting the buds as they develop, I really think I am going to give this a try. The tops are really fat and the false seed pods have really swelled, but the lower buds still are showing white and amber hairs and don't look "ready" yet so I think this will be an excellent method!!! Thanks for this suggestion as well!!

I am a firm believer in finely grown medicine and that is why I chose organic soil over hydroponic, because I do believe it creates a better medicine. I have learned sooo much with this first grow, I did a good 2 months of heavy research before even "breaking ground" and so far I am blown away by the results. I just hope the strain qualities as well as potencies match what I am used to from the local clubs!!!

I know so many people who thru the medical marijuana community have received almost "miracle level benefits" from the use of cannabis over pharmaceutical drugs and my heart hurts every time our G*men "overseers" display there ignorance about the useful natural medicine that this planet has to offer.... We all need to be active in growing, education, safe use and access, legalities and law and show that this plant is not going to ruin lives, but save America!!

I have another question...some buds seem to dry rather airy and some are rock hard. I know that a lot of this has to do with light intensity as well as added CO2 in flowering but is there also ways to determine in drying and curing how your bud will turn out, whether more velvety and fluffy (but dry) or rock hard and dense?

Icemud you are way too kind, i love helpin out and your right there just is not enough people standing up for what is right. I HAVE told people that I KNOW i WILL go to jail at some point for this fight, i know where i stand and where they stand and I WILL go down fighting. My states calls me a caregiver/patient my government calls me a criminal and they wonder why i am no patriot for their bullshit views fuck em!...

Well with all that ranting aside, nugs do pretty much have a predetermined density kinda has to do with the strain, but ultimately has to do with the grower. If you can grow a strain to its full potential and it has dense nugs genetically it will definetly have some dense nugs but if it is one that is predetermined to be a certain nug stucture it probably will. just recently i grew some of my purple punch and i got density out the ASS, i mean a quarter size nug weighs 2 grams and i dont supply Co2 or anything like that just lots of fresh air, while at the same time my Casey Jones had much larger nugs but they were airy.

Also i have found that from drying on a screen rather than hanging i ended up with more densely appearing nugs, the weight of the nug pushes down on its self and kinda makes it uniform this helps with density but it wont make non dense weed dense.

and it is suicide in todays day and age to be america's meat puppet, have you ever seen how presidents go strain GRAY within like 2 weeks of being inaugurated, no thank you sir. but thank you buddy, one day i aspire to lead a commune of hippies maybe but never president...

help me green please my ph in nute mix is 6.5 but the run off is a 4.0 i am using fox farm ocean and fox frm nutes at 1/2 strength. inside grow

N.W.Green said:
Hey all some of you may know me, im Green or NWG. I am an Organic Soil grower but know a lot about all applications and problems that arise with many growing styles, And if you do know me then you also know that i love to help people grow this god given herb.

And everyone knows quality is king so if there are ANY problems that my fellow growers are running into, please come and and i will get it knocked out for you the best i can :D.

:Namaste:

I purchased a grow light and don't know how far away from my plant it should be placed. It is a 50 watt bulb. My problem has not been with getting the seed(s) to sprout. I use organic potting soil and use spring water to water my plant, so there's no chlorine involved. After about two - three weeks my plant droops and dies. I'm careful about overwatering but am wondering if my problem is with the grow light. It seems the roots on the plant are not good. Too small. Could it be that I position the grow light too close to the plant or do I need a larger grow light in order for it to be effective? I sure would appreciate any info you could give me regarding this problem while trying to get my plants to live. Thanks so much!

help me green please my ph in nute mix is 6.5 but the run off is a 4.0 i am using fox farm ocean and fox frm nutes at 1/2 strength. inside grow

Welcome friend, this is a common issue when using nutes that have synthetic salts, they build up in the soil over time causing your nutrience to lock out, the way to remedy this to fully flush your plant periodically through out your grow by running a lot of 6.5 Ph water through your plant every once in a while this will help to remove the built up salts and not allow this problem to occur. Once this has happened its rather hard to bring it back in the same pot size but if you flush the plant like i said before and repot it into a larger plant you will have a much better chance of running its course healthier. I have no experience with this perticular product but it is put out by Fox farm and was just recently added to their mix, i think it is called sledge hammer and it is a leachate that helps to take the bad salts back out of your medium.

Dolomite lime is also a ph Buffer and can be added to the soil mix to help keep ph dives and rises from happening.

discontinue using nutes until you have got yourself back to a good ph, the next step that will happen if the ph doesn't balence out is you will start seeing little necrosis spots on your leaves they will be shiny at first then turn brown and crispy, rusty almost.

I purchased a grow light and don't know how far away from my plant it should be placed. It is a 50 watt bulb. My problem has not been with getting the seed(s) to sprout. I use organic potting soil and use spring water to water my plant, so there's no chlorine involved. After about two - three weeks my plant droops and dies. I'm careful about overwatering but am wondering if my problem is with the grow light. It seems the roots on the plant are not good. Too small. Could it be that I position the grow light too close to the plant or do I need a larger grow light in order for it to be effective? I sure would appreciate any info you could give me regarding this problem while trying to get my plants to live. Thanks so much!

Hey friend, are you Phing your water? sounds like it could be nute lock out?

Hi Green thanks so much for helping everyone out :) So the tips of my plant's leaves have started curling like crazy and I can't find a solid answer as to what it could be. I've been feeding 1/2 strength GH Flora nutes and I believe my pH is around 6 but it's difficult to tell with this liquid pH tester. My temps are mid to high 70's and they are about a month old from seed. I think it possibly may be a calcium deficiency but I'm not sure. I have a couple pictures, sorry the quality isn't the greatest but you can make out the really curly tips.
curlytips.JPG

and here is one of the plants
group312.jpg

thanks again!

Hi Green thanks so much for helping everyone out :) So the tips of my plant's leaves have started curling like crazy and I can't find a solid answer as to what it could be. I've been feeding 1/2 strength GH Flora nutes and I believe my pH is around 6 but it's difficult to tell with this liquid pH tester. My temps are mid to high 70's and they are about a month old from seed. I think it possibly may be a calcium deficiency but I'm not sure. I have a couple pictures, sorry the quality isn't the greatest but you can make out the really curly tips.
curlytips.JPG

and here is one of the plants
group312.jpg

thanks again!

Thanks for swinging by my brother, that right there is the classic Ph Claw curl, as long as this didn't result after giving a Large dose nutes i would come to the conclusion that the plant wants its Ph raised up to about 6.5 i have found that in soil Indica's dont like to dip much below 6.3 and can even do alright up to about 7.0 but ideally should be around 6.5

Some sativa's profere around a 6.0 ph but on average the hybrids and indica's that are commonly sold today like 6.5 from what i have found

To remedy take your plant and flush it with about 2 times the amount of water as you normally would water and be sure it is close to the 6.5 - 7.0 range, you can even try to test the run off if you feel like you get some decently clean water out the bottom and im willing to bet it is a little low.

Hope this helps my friend :D

Thanks for swinging by my brother, that right there is the classic Ph Claw curl, as long as this didn't result after giving a Large dose nutes i would come to the conclusion that the plant wants its Ph raised up to about 6.5 i have found that in soil Indica's dont like to dip much below 6.3 and can even do alright up to about 7.0 but ideally should be around 6.5

Some sativa's profere around a 6.0 ph but on average the hybrids and indica's that are commonly sold today like 6.5 from what i have found

To remedy take your plant and flush it with about 2 times the amount of water as you normally would water and be sure it is close to the 6.5 - 7.0 range, you can even try to test the run off if you feel like you get some decently clean water out the bottom and im willing to bet it is a little low.

Hope this helps my friend :D

thank you! Yea I remember now my first few feeds were really low pH. I've only watered once since I transplanted to the 5 gal grow bags and I split a gallon between the 3 plants. I regret using these grow bag things since they are hard to move around but I'll try testing the runoff. Once again thanks! <3

anytime man, and i dont like those grow bags either, i have only bought one and that was enough for me lol :D

Back
Top Bottom