This one has me stumped, yellowing, purpling and curling all at the same time: late flower DWC

ShinSeiki

As posted in the excelent guide above, here goes...

Strain - 1x Purple Domina Auto/ 3x Orange Cookie Auto
# of Plants - 4
Grow Type - Hydro
Grow Stage - Flower
Setup - DWC
Light - 150w LED + 75w in auxiliary LED's
Nutrients - HESI
Medium - Hydro
PPM - 1550
PH - 6
RH - 50% to 60%
Room Temperature -18c to 22c
Solution Temperature -19c
Room Square Footage - 90x90x180cm
Pests - None Known

I'm having severe yellowing in the leaves of one of my plants (orange cookie auto) along with the leaves turning purple and curling. At this stage i expected some yellowing as part of a normal flowering, but it keept getting worse. I defoliated quite heavily in the previous weeks and i suspect i took it too far and did it too late. Still, i would love some insight as this is my first grow in more than 15 years, so consider this a "first grow". Chemistry wise, the base water i'm using is "used" fishtank water, so don't be freaked out by the high PPM, adding HESI hydro nutrients at half strength to supplement the nutrients already in the water. Water comes out of the tanks at around 7ph, added nutrients brings it down to 6.2, requiring minimal ajustment after that.

IMG_20220124_122331.jpg

As posted in the excelent guide above, here goes...

Strain - 1x Purple Domina Auto/ 3x Orange Cookie Auto
# of Plants - 4
Grow Type - Hydro
Grow Stage - Flower
Setup - DWC
Light - 150w LED + 75w in auxiliary LED's
Nutrients - HESI
Medium - Hydro
PPM - 1550
PH - 6
RH - 50% to 60%
Room Temperature -18c to 22c
Solution Temperature -19c
Room Square Footage - 90x90x180cm
Pests - None Known

I'm having severe yellowing in the leaves of one of my plants (orange cookie auto) along with the leaves turning purple and curling. At this stage i expected some yellowing as part of a normal flowering, but it keept getting worse. I defoliated quite heavily in the previous weeks and i suspect i took it too far and did it too late. Still, i would love some insight as this is my first grow in more than 15 years, so consider this a "first grow". Chemistry wise, the base water i'm using is "used" fishtank water, so don't be freaked out by the high PPM, adding HESI hydro nutrients at half strength to supplement the nutrients already in the water. Water comes out of the tanks at around 7ph, added nutrients brings it down to 6.2, requiring minimal ajustment after that.

IMG_20220124_122331.jpg
Hello @ShinSeiki hope you are well my friend.
Sorry about your lady.
I'd loose the fish water and feed properly according to the schedule that came with the nutrients. :Namaste:
And drop your ph to 5.8 your locking out nutrients.
Are you using calmag?

Stay safe
Bill

Bill knows all. Why the fish tank water? Just curious? And why only half strength on the nutes? Hope she will pull out and come back on top!

Bill knows all. Why the fish tank water? Just curious? And why only half strength on the nutes? Hope she will pull out and come back on top!
I've been keeping fish together with aquatic plants for decades, and when you have a properly setup and aged(read:lots of bacterial activity) tank, you get a really nutrient rich water as your bacteria colony processes the fish waste. The practice of having a garden along with your large fishtank is very widespread. There isn't alot of information out there about cannabis aquaponics at this scale so i though i'd experiment a little since this grow is more about catching up and fine-tuning the tent rather than getting the best possible yeild right out of the bat.

So out of 3 plants (1 purple domina and 2 orange cookies) plant 1(purple domina) is on straight tap water with the recommended nutrient dosage. Plant 2 is the one pictured above, that's on 50% tap water and 50% tank water, half dose nutrients. Plant 3 is on straight tank water, no nutrients added. All are ph corrected, i try to aim for 5.8 but the Ph tends to creep back up. The thing that's throwing me for a loop is the fact that plant 3 seems to be doing just fine, keeping in mind i had to start it a week later than the others(mistakes were made). Both plant 1 and 2 are showing the same symptoms although plant 2 is worse.The only thing plant 1 and 2 have in common that isn't shared with plant 3 is the fact i defoliated 1 and 2 about 2 weeks ago.

Pictured: plant 3

IMG_20220124_192433.jpg

Hello @ShinSeiki hope you are well my friend.
Sorry about your lady.
I'd loose the fish water and feed properly according to the schedule that came with the nutrients. :Namaste:
And drop your ph to 5.8 your locking out nutrients.
Are you using calmag?

Stay safe
Bill
One of the girls never had any tank water but still shows the same symptoms, while another that's been on straight tank water with no nutrients is just fine.
I try to get the ph at 5.8 but it creeps back up(and i keep correcting), that's why i put a "6" up there.
Not used Calmag yet, should i get some?

One of the girls never had any tank water but still shows the same symptoms, while another that's been on straight tank water with no nutrients is just fine.
I try to get the ph at 5.8 but it creeps back up(and i keep correcting), that's why i put a "6" up there.
Not used Calmag yet, should i get some?
Hey @ShinSeiki I'm not versed in aquaponics don't even know if I spelled it correctly.
When working correctly it's great but you seem to have a mixed bag with mixed results.
Strictly from a plant perspective its not eating properly regardless of feeding method.
All I can suggest is following the schedule for your nutrients add cal mag first and wait a few minutes then micro, grow, bloom then set ph to 5.8.
You should be in the 1000 ppm range depending?
How are you res and room temps?
@Rexer your interested in fish do you have a suggestion here?

Stay safe
Bill

Not for nothing but not all seeds are the same. Did any of them ever show you any issues prior to this when they were growing up?
Nothing, things were going suspiciously well untill i defoliated(2weeks ago).

The first photo was taken 10 days ago, second was today.

edit: that's the Purple Domina, AKA Plant 1

IMG_20220114_173938.jpg

IMG_20220124_195901.jpg

Strictly from a plant perspective its not eating properly regardless of feeding method.
cal mag first and wait a few minutes then micro, grow, bloom then set ph to 5.8.
You should be in the 1000 ppm range depending?
How are you res and room temps?

Ok i realise now that mixing the nutrients together in a cup and then pouring might have been a mistake...
Room temp ranges from 16c to 21c depending on time of day, water temperature is around 18c.
CalMag is on it's way.

Nothing, things were going suspiciously well untill i defoliated(2weeks ago).

The first photo was taken 10 days ago, second was today.

edit: that's the Purple Domina, AKA Plant 1

IMG_20220114_173938.jpg

IMG_20220124_195901.jpg
Even 10 days ago pre defol she was starving my friend. :Namaste:
My method of defol is to never touch my girls.
Leaves are required for bud formation my friend.
Clean under her skirt after strech and let her be.
Don't take off any more Leaves in other words hehe.
You will make it to harvest no problem my friend.
Your ladies are quite beautiful actually. :love:
Any time you need anything at all my friend you got my number.
I'm always around. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill

Not out of our way at all. Your girls are beautiful. Only want to see happy growers with happy plants is all. More than happy to chime in with whatever I can. Bill will not steer you wrong and we will all give you as any positive vibes and info as we can.

Good luck with the rest of their grow. Is the ghetto journal this grow? I guess I should have just checked before I asked

Good luck with the rest of their grow. Is the ghetto journal this grow? I guess I should have just checked before I asked
Thank you! And no, that one was back in 2013, it's so full of cringe... But i stopped after that and only picked growing back up now.

Beautiful girls!

I have a possibility of what's going on, or at least is contributing to the problems.
Temperature is too cold. I know for roots you want to keep it above 17C. Below that and nutrient uptake issues show up, mimicking deficiencies, I'm assuming that holds true for something like this.

Ok, so...just to recap and make sure we understand:
Current PPM is roughly 1000, but what is in it? (I can't see where you mentioned what type of nutrients your using)

Thank you! And no, that one was back in 2013, it's so full of cringe... But i stopped after that and only picked growing back up now.
You should do another just start up here! It would be so easy for us to follow you!

Beautiful girls!

I have a possibility of what's going on, or at least is contributing to the problems.
Temperature is too cold. I know for roots you want to keep it above 17C. Below that and uptake issues show up, mimicking deficiencies, I'm assuming that holds true for something like this.

Ok, so...just to recap and make sure we understand:
Current PPM is roughly 1000, but what is in it? (I can't see where you mentioned what type of nutrients your using)
Hi! Welcome!

I'm going to paste what i wrote above so you have a good picture of what's going on.

"So out of 3 plants (1 purple domina and 2 orange cookies) plant 1(purple domina) is on straight tap water with the recommended nutrient dosage. Plant 2 is the one pictured above, that's on 50% tap water and 50% tank water, half dose nutrients. Plant 3 is on straight tank water, no nutrients added. All are ph corrected, i try to aim for 5.8 but the Ph tends to creep back up. The thing that's throwing me for a loop is the fact that plant 3 seems to be doing just fine, keeping in mind i had to start it a week later than the others(mistakes were made). Both plant 1 and 2 are showing the same symptoms although plant 2 is worse.The only thing plant 1 and 2 have in common that isn't shared with plant 3 is the fact i defoliated 1 and 2 about 2 weeks ago."

I'm using HESI's hydro starter kit for nutrients. I'm going hook up and calibrate some water heaters , should have them in the buckets by tomorrow.

You should do another just start up here! It would be so easy for us to follow you!
Wanted to get this first grow out of the way so i don't look like a complete idiot, but the next one is getting documented in a journal from start to finish. The plan was to lurk around untill then, but this popped up...

Ahh sorry I missed the HESI nutrients part, not a brand I'm familiar with.

I'm going to tag our local hydro guru in, @FelipeBlu . I suspect there's more then one thing going on, and he's a genius who will have you on track sooner then I could. It's not that I can't or don't want to, just with the stage of the plants, let's get them back on track asap.

Regarding the PH slowly rising, it's normal. There's a link in my signature for some good reading on hydroponics and PH, it's got a great breakdown on it.

Ahh sorry I missed the HESI nutrients part, not a brand I'm familiar with.

I'm going to tag our local hydro guru in, @FelipeBlu . I suspect there's more then one thing going on, and he's a genius who will have you on track sooner then I could. It's not that I can't or don't want to, just with the stage of the plants, let's get them back on track asap.

Regarding the PH slowly rising, it's normal. There's a link in my signature for some good reading on hydroponics and PH, it's got a great breakdown on it.
Awesome, i'll give that a read. I'm going to try the heaters for sure because i'm pretty sure my temperature is dropping way below 17c at night.

Back
Top Bottom