This one has me stumped, yellowing, purpling and curling all at the same time: late flower DWC

Ah, and also, i have some auxiliary LED's up, 75w across 5 lights but they are 6500k(cool white), should i keep them or am i just wasting electricity by having them on? New lights are definitely near the top of the list, might run these through next grow's veg but i'm definitely flowering on something better(Mars hydro seems to be the "bang for buck" king right now so i'm looking into those).
I'm no lighting pro, but how far away are the aux lights?

Mars Hydro, and ViparSpectra both make some quality lights and provide discounts to members

And for sure I'll hit you up when the time comes, thanks man!

@FelipeBlu Hey buddy! thanks for joining in!
A lot to unpack but i'll try to get to all of it.

This is the nutrient pack i'm using, HESI Starterbox Hydro | led-grower.eu

It's a 2-part with PK and a couple of bells and whistles(boost, root, vitamins).
I'm finishing up an order for new nutrients, seeds for the next grow, calmag, NPK test kit and a few other bits and bobs, anything i should add here?
Also, this is at least a couple days out, anything i can do in the meantime?

For aeration i have the pumps that came with the buckets(pretty ordinary aquarium air pumps). Those are hooked up to those flexible hose type air stones, those clog like crazy but i'm finishing up a 3d-printed design that (hopefully)never clogs and stays at the center of the bucket(fitment prototype is printing now, final version should be ready is a couple more days).

Something else we haven't touched on, but since these are all autos i've kept them at 22/2 and recently pulled back a bit to 18/6 when the problems started showing, should i go back? should i go to 24/0?
What's up my friend!! I see what's going on, in your pictures. When did you change the light cycle?? Are they autos or photos?? Sorry I should have read up but sometimes it helps to revisit the past!! Lol. Anyway, when you change the light cycle in aquponics the plant reaches for the new food in needs to thrive. If it doesn't receive what it's looking for it eats itself up and tells you that there is something wrong with the roots when they point towards their roots. This tells us that there's a problem. I see your ladys and they look well just under fed. Can you tell me your pH and ppm of your bucket water with temp for water and room temperature.

Thanks
Joshualuck :passitleft:

@FelipeBlu I knew i'd forget something, i've been using the PK rather conservatively because the provided schedule is in "weeks" and i'd always assumed mine were behind on account of all the mistakes i've made, today's reset upped the PK to the strictly recommended dose.

This schedule?
03AC78B2-A482-401C-A5B6-B0BD9A0ED9A1.jpeg

So what’s your current dose of PK? The recommended dose of 5ml/L (19ml/gal) of just the Bloom provides:
150ppm N
84ppm P
212ppm K

Which should be sufficient.

The 0.5ml/L (1.9ml/gal) of PK 13/14 provides an additional:
28ppm P
58ppm K

Not toxic - but probably unnecessary

So what’s your current dose of PK? The recommended dose of 5ml/L (19ml/gal) of just the Bloom provides:
150ppm N
84ppm P
212ppm K

Which should be sufficient.

28ppm P
58ppm K

Not toxic - but probably unnecessary
That's the schedule i'm using, PK i dosed at 7.5ml/10l and Bloom is at the recommended 50ml/l

I presume you are starting with tap water (not RO) for your fish tanks - do you have a water quality report?

Since the recommended dose of Bloom has adequate K, something in the mix is negatively affecting the plant’s ability to uptake the K.

What's up my friend!! I see what's going on, in your pictures. When did you change the light cycle?? Are they autos or photos?? Sorry I should have read up but sometimes it helps to revisit the past!! Lol. Anyway, when you change the light cycle in aquponics the plant reaches for the new food in needs to thrive. If it doesn't receive what it's looking for it eats itself up and tells you that there is something wrong with the roots when they point towards their roots. This tells us that there's a problem. I see your ladys and they look well just under fed. Can you tell me your pH and ppm of your bucket water with temp for water and room temperature.

Thanks
Joshualuck :passitleft:
Hey Josh! What's up?

These are all autos, they spent most of their life at 20/4. When the floewring started to pick up, i pushed to 22/2, and backed off again to 20/4 once the deficiencies started showing. PPM is around 1500(tank water is around 400PPM, the rest is added nutrient), i try to balance the PH at around 5.8 but realistically it floats from 5.6 to 6.2. Reservoir temperature is sitting at 18.5 celcius(heated) and that heated mass inside the tent helps the temperatur stabilize a bit between 15(dead of night) and 21(afternoon).

I presume you are starting with tap water (not RO) for your fish tanks - do you have a water quality report?

Since the recommended dose of Bloom has adequate K, something in the mix is negatively affecting the plant’s ability to uptake the K.
Found the quality report for my local water but it's in portuguese so posting it here isn't very useful, what am i looking for?

Go ahead and post it if you can - I can handle Portuguese - was there in October (Lisbon & Nazaré)

I am mostly concerned about the levels of calcium and magnesium, which will affect uptake of K if too high.
I cut a little bit out for privacy reasons, but the data is all there.

75eab7cc8f1541efa8ccc6ff64f73594-0001.jpg

I'm no lighting pro, but how far away are the aux lights?

Mars Hydro, and ViparSpectra both make some quality lights and provide discounts to members

And for sure I'll hit you up when the time comes, thanks man!
Have a look, the main light is suspended at the centre, about 40cm above the auxiliaries.

IMG_20220126_151311.jpg

Have a look, the main light is suspended at the centre, about 40cm above the auxiliaries.

IMG_20220126_151311.jpg

A handy tool to grab (and they're on the cheaper side) is a lux meter, you can grab one from the Zon to measure the light intensity (very useful to dial in lighting).

I'm sure their having some effect being on and up there....but how much I don't know. The distance from the plants also diffuses the intensity from the lights, so that's one thing to keep in mind.
I'm of the mindset, every photon that can be used should be, but there is a question of a return (how much $ to keep the lights on, vs weight gained on the plants with the aux lights on). Only you have the bigger picture to make that call.

Edit- take a good look through our sponsors lights, and there are also some giveaways taking place (Mars Hydro is doing one right now).

you need better light. i mentioned this earlier.
look in to some of the sponsors offerings. there are discounts for members.

i know you are a bit far flung to have the same options. we can help you through the maze for getting decent light.

there are also diy solutions. at present i run rigs i've self built. my next grow is the first one i plan on using a pre-built for a long time.

If anyone is wondering how the lights are suspended, i designed and 3d-printed custom supports. I still use a "bought" perfurated alimunium strip connecting the support to the light(about 1$ a pop at the local hardware store) because printing something that long wouldn't be practical. I hung them on the inside of the tent supports because i didn't know how much heat these were going to produce and i wanted to be cautious, but the idea is to have the strip between the rails and the cloth in order to maximise space(left one like that, pictured). The holes on the strip allow me to easily and almost infinitely adjust both the height and the direction of the lights(3-axis of ajustment is more than enough).

I'm putting up a thread with all my designs and how to get the best prints later on, but if anyone wants one of these right now, let me know and i'll send over the files so you can print your own.

IMG_20220126_151321.jpg

IMG_20220126_151342.jpg

My apologies @ShinSeiki - but I made an erroneous assumption in a previous post
28ppm P
58ppm K
I had assumed that a product named PK 13/14 would, in fact, have 13% P and 14% K. But this apparently isn’t the case with the HESI PK 13/14. Looking closer:

HESI PK 13/14 is balanced to HESI Hydro Bloom and HESI COCO.

Composition:
Phosphorus 9,0% P2O5,
Potassium 7,2 % K2O

Since the label only has to guarantee the minimum percentages, it could be anything above what’s on it. But if these nutrients are at the exact percentages as described on their site, your dose of 0.75 ml/L would actually provide an additional:
29ppm P
45ppm K

Sorry for the previous misinformation.

:surf:

Hey Josh! What's up?

These are all autos, they spent most of their life at 20/4. When the floewring started to pick up, i pushed to 22/2, and backed off again to 20/4 once the deficiencies started showing. PPM is around 1500(tank water is around 400PPM, the rest is added nutrient), i try to balance the PH at around 5.8 but realistically it floats from 5.6 to 6.2. Reservoir temperature is sitting at 18.5 celcius(heated) and that heated mass inside the tent helps the temperatur stabilize a bit between 15(dead of night) and 21(afternoon).
Your pH is too low for your water and your nutrients keep it about 6.5 with the water temperature about 68° room temperature about 79.5°. the changing light schedule so fast maybe one of the causes for the plant showing stresses. As well as the low ph. That's just my opinion man. I hope your plants are growing great and abundantly. Happy growing my friend.

My apologies @ShinSeiki - but I made an erroneous assumption in a previous post

I had assumed that a product named PK 13/14 would, in fact, have 13% P and 14% K. But this apparently isn’t the case with the HESI PK 13/14. Looking closer:

HESI PK 13/14 is balanced to HESI Hydro Bloom and HESI COCO.

Composition:
Phosphorus 9,0% P2O5,
Potassium 7,2 % K2O

Since the label only has to guarantee the minimum percentages, it could be anything above what’s on it. But if these nutrients are at the exact percentages as described on their site, your dose of 0.75 ml/L would actually provide an additional:
29ppm P
45ppm K

Sorry for the previous misinformation.

:surf:
Don't worry about it, this is light years ahead of any conclusion i would have come to on my own.

Back
Top Bottom