To Fox Farm Ocean Forest or not to Fox Farm Ocean Forest

Guys I am like a newborn here and would love some advice from experienced gardeners. I am getting ready to try my hand with a couple potted plants on my patio. Right now I am in the "planning" stages, getting my act together. I have been doing much reading but I will never be one of those know it all people. So I have a few questions.

From everything I read about growing mediums Fox Farm Ocean Forest always got rave reviews, that is until recently when reports started popping about bug infestations in their product. So that kind of worries me. Another product, also made by Fox Farm is Happy Frog which seems to get a lot of favorable comments.

What do ya'll think? Is the Fox Farm bug scare just a scare or is it something to really worry about?

Finally, I need to balance the PH of my water to feed the plants. My budget is VERY TIGHT so would a drop test be the best way to go for me? I appreciate each and every one of you in advance for sharing your knowledge with everyone.

OH I almost forgot. Perlite........about 30% of your medium should be perlite?
I love ocean forest. I mix it 1/1 with roots organic 'green lite' mix. No need for perlite. Already has beneficial nutes and microbials.
It's a perfect launching point.
Mix, water, let sir for a 3 days and then it's good for planting.

I'm on my 2nd round and have only used a total of 3 bags but I've never had a bug problem with ffof.and my girls love it. I'll be sticking with it from now on

I've used probably 6 bags or so, not a bug, a few leprechauns, pixies and the full moon gets nasty at times...
I love the soil, just don't add nuts too soon

Yes, I found the FFOF to be a very nice, light soil which the plants seemed to like. And honestly, it's all about the plants. That said the plants also like the Pro-Mix BX which I can buy locally and at 1/3 the cost. I'm happy growing in either one and the plants seem to like both so the Pro-Mix is the best choice for me.

Aphids can happen in almost every soil substrate. It was probably stored incorrectly.

I treat all new substrates with BTI bits before use. Problem solved.

I'm not too experienced but I've been starting all my outdoor plants in FF (for cannabis Light Warrior the first two seasons and starting this year in Ocean Forest. All my pepper plants I start in Happy Frog)). The only plants I've lost are due to my own negligence and ignorance (damping off and forgetting to water ).

I skimped on perlite my first grow and had a constant fight keeping my plants properly watered.

Another thing you might consider is making a living soil or super soil. It's not necessarily going to be better or easier, but you'll learn a butt load more.

My meter is an Apera. Forgot the model but it came with both pH 7 and pH 4 calibrating solutions. It was $30ish on Amazon.

I switched to FFOF and it is working well so far. I have autoflower plants in brand new straight from the bag FFOF in 5 gallon fabric pots
20210120_093237.jpg

The larger one is two weeks ahead of the smaller ones (dud seeds no germ waiting 10 days yada yada eyeroll) and its December 3rd to now. To me it's a very impressive result.

Back
Top Bottom