Transplant time

Helpaguyout

So iv got a gal looks like it's time to move home
Currently in a 20l pot with generic cheap garden center compost

She a bit droopy and on inspection rope like roots are coming out of the pot and under the top 2 inch of soil is like a carpet lol
So my question is how whould you go on transplanting
I'm thinking 50l pot but can't decide what soil to go with ill be flipping when it's doubled in size

It's a around 2foot from top of pot and probs 2.5 wide Bush lol im hoping for a lb but we will see. I might bring it outside till September then bring it in and flip

It's a around 2foot from top of pot and probs 2.5 wide Bush lol im hoping for a lb but we will see. I might bring it outside till September then bring it in and flip

if the roots are exiting the pot you're bound for sure
sept is a long ways away. you might want to plan for a house addition and reno, if growing and bringing that thing inside on that time schedule. you'll need the room.

if the roots are exiting the pot you're bound for sure
sept is a long ways away. you might want to plan for a house addition and reno, if growing and bringing that thing inside on that time schedule. you'll need the room.
If it's root bound should he break open the ball before transplanting?
What's your thoughts on that?
I like to break it open and sprinkle mycorrhizae on everything.
Before going into a new pot.
Always using clean gloves and utensils.

Stay safe
Bill

I always break up the root ball some, otherwise it will continue to grow in a rootbound condition. By breaking up the rootball it helps the roots expand into the surrounding soil. I was the head gardener at a college for several years, and I used to make sure my crews broke up the root ball before transplanting anything. Once, when I first started I noticed a whole line of recently planted bushes that weren't doing well about a 2 months after transplanting, several died. When I pulled them up, the root balls were exactly as they were when they came out of the pots, very little root expansion. It is recommended to break up the root ball when transplanting. Plants normally have more roots than they need, so, losing some in transplanting by breaking up the rootball won't cause much damage and actually helps the plant recover more quickly, particularly on a well established plant like the OP's.

I always break up the root ball some, otherwise it will continue to grow in a rootbound condition. By breaking up the rootball it helps the roots expand into the surrounding soil. I was the head gardener at a college for several years, and I used to make sure my crews broke up the root ball before transplanting anything. Once, when I first started I noticed a whole line of recently planted bushes that weren't doing well about a 2 months after transplanting, several died. When I pulled them up, the root balls were exactly as they were when they came out of the pots, very little root expansion. It is recommended to break up the root ball when transplanting. Plants normally have more roots than they need, so, losing some in transplanting by breaking up the rootball won't cause much damage and actually helps the plant recover more quickly, particularly on a well established plant like the OP's.
I agree 100%.
Break it open and spread it out.
Plus plus!! It's your opportunity to feed the roots directly.
I would sprinkle mycorrhizae, Bokashi and insect frass then mist with kelp water with a couple drops of superthrive in it.
It's your only opportunity to deal with them directly.
On one of my first runs I pulled out the root balls and they were all shaped exactly like a 3 gallon pot stuck in a 5 gallon container.
No lateral growth at all.
So I started breaking them open if they were to tight.
Then taking the opportunity to add amendments.
It's fantastic for the roots.
Now my roots are Stellar every harvest. :love:

Stay safe
Bill

i generally break them up somewhat. i've scored them before as well. that used to be the accepted approach. other times i've cut up to 2/3 of the root mass and replanted. you'll get monsters in the end of going that route

She a bit droopy and on inspection rope like roots are coming out of the pot and under the top 2 inch of soil is like a carpet lol
I would transplant the same way as when the plant is not root bound. The options for reducing or breaking up the root mass that the others have mentioned are not a bad idea either.

Sometimes a machete comes in handy.;) The long bladed knife works for a larger root mass. The character played by Danny Trejo in the movies if the roots are really out of control and a helper is needed.

I like this :green_heart:

So iv got a gal looks like it's time to move home
Currently in a 20l pot with generic cheap garden center compost

I'm thinking 50l pot but can't decide what soil to go with ill be flipping when it's doubled in size

Those are pretty big pots !

Is this an indoor grow or out doors & if you don't mind what stage of growth plus I :green_heart: a good pic :ganjamon:

I'll get a pic 2morra
I transplanted today as I'm going away Wednesday
Losened the roots all round and into a 50l pot then filled with same soil as befor, didn't feed or water
So late 2morra it will get a decent feed and then left for 3 nights till I get back I will then be performing kishmans techniques by stripping everything up to the 3rd node on all branches
See how it goes

Back
Top Bottom