Trichome checkers!

Cannabomb62

Whats up gromies. Had an interesting topic thought we should talk about for new growers. Do you check your trichomes post harvest or do you just cut down on a certain day? As for me i do not check trichomes i did when i first started bu as i learned checkin trichomes is a pain in the neck when you grow perpetual. Wouldnt mined hearin your thoughts on this topic.

If you are gardening by the calendar instead of what the plants are doing, you are probably harvesting at the wrong time. The calendar method might be off as much as a week to 10 days, depending on how long it took the plant to make the flip to bloom or local conditions of your grow, such as too hot or cold. The trichomes are the final check... and until they are goin amber at the very top of the plant, she is not done. You can go by the pistils somewhat, but they can fool you. You can go by the chunkiness of the buds, but that again is very subjective. After a few years experience I think you can tell when to harvest by looking for a slowdown in water uptake, a slight color change in the trichomes as seen by the naked eye, the last of the grow swelling of the buds... but until you are familiar with all of those signs and have a familiarity with that particular strain and how it acts at the end, the trichomes are your best bet. If you find it too hard to get in there with a loupe to look at the trichomes, I would suggest getting a USB/WIFI microscope so you can send pictures to your phone or computer.

I never look at trichomes. I just go by bud appearance- same way I harvest everything else in my gardens. It’d be pretty annoying to have to inspect everything with a microscope every time I wanted some salad.

I do try to go by trichomes, but like some other things, they are sometimes unpredictable too.
I do use a microscope (it was $20) toward the end because the ones I want to see are tough to focus on with the naked eye- and also I will tell myself they look done before they are :laughtwo:
Id love for every plant to follow the same path and get milky/amber then done.
The reality is that sometimes trichomes don’t change. Ask @Carcass about it- wait wait wait and they are still clear and the plant is obviously done. All I’m saying is, if you can check trichomes, make an attempt, especially if you want sleepy/heavy smoke.
But if you don’t (like I didn’t for 25 years) the weed will still work anyway.

If you are gardening by the calendar instead of what the plants are doing, you are probably harvesting at the wrong time. The calendar method might be off as much as a week to 10 days, depending on how long it took the plant to make the flip to bloom or local conditions of your grow, such as too hot or cold. The trichomes are the final check... and until they are goin amber at the very top of the plant, she is not done. You can go by the pistils somewhat, but they can fool you. You can go by the chunkiness of the buds, but that again is very subjective. After a few years experience I think you can tell when to harvest by looking for a slowdown in water uptake, a slight color change in the trichomes as seen by the naked eye, the last of the grow swelling of the buds... but until you are familiar with all of those signs and have a familiarity with that particular strain and how it acts at the end, the trichomes are your best bet. If you find it too hard to get in there with a loupe to look at the trichomes, I would suggest getting a USB/WIFI microscope so you can send pictures to your phone or computer.
Yup yup! Good one:passitleft:

I do try to go by trichomes, but like some other things, they are sometimes unpredictable too.
I do use a microscope (it was $20) toward the end because the ones I want to see are tough to focus on with the naked eye- and also I will tell myself they look done before they are :laughtwo:
Id love for every plant to follow the same path and get milky/amber then done.
The reality is that sometimes trichomes don’t change. Ask @Carcass about it- wait wait wait and they are still clear and the plant is obviously done. All I’m saying is, if you can check trichomes, make an attempt, especially if you want sleepy/heavy smoke.
But if you don’t (like I didn’t for 25 years) the weed will still work anyway.

I never look at trichomes. I just go by bud appearance- same way I harvest everything else in my gardens. It’d be pretty annoying to have to inspect everything with a microscope every time I wanted some salad.
Yeah i stopped checking tichomes a long time ago. lol really didnt make much of a difference sometimes the trichomes wouldnt even change.

Hi guys, I'm looking to harvest myself and I was wondering if or how much trichomes change AFTER you harvest.....
They do continue to mature, albeit very slowly, after harvest and until you get them dry enough to start curing. Light can always affect them, so I try to keep my drying and curing product out of direct light as much as I can.

I always check my trichomes. I use a Wifi microscope that sends the pictures to my phone. Got to have a steady hand to get clear pics, but I just snap a poop load until I get multiple clear pics. I also take pics from different levels of the branches and all over the plant. I haven't had a plant's trichomes not change so I will continue to check them. From my experience it definitely makes a difference if the buds aren't mature. There are a few strains that I just know when they're done because I've grown them multiple times, but I still check the trichomes just to be sure.

My trichomes have always changed... and I have always waited for them. Sure, you can smoke immature buds... but I am not a fan.
Yeah idk in my opinion your wasting time if you cant read the plant. You see much of a difference from one harvest at day 70 and the other at day 80 because i do not.

Back
Top Bottom