Trichomes

dunia

What do you think about this trichomes,
do I harvest or wait?
bud.jpeg
vlcsnap-2020-06-30-00h39m44s997.png
vlcsnap-2020-06-30-00h40m42s021.png

Here a thread that has pics at towards the bottom of the page to compare pistil and trichome appearance. Good luck!

All I see is clear , you have a ways to go

(Delete)

Here’s what to look for

E3809470-85E7-4CAF-AC30-8A72A876FE37.png

Text under third image should state: Degraded trichome heads; past potency. ;)

Also, be sure that you are examining the ones on the flowers (not the leaves). And I doubt you'll ever see a 100% cloudy/milky situation, because they were not all created on the same day. If you aim for maximum potency, you'll probably end up with some that have already degraded and some that have not reached maximum potency yet. But there will be a point when more cloudy are going amber than clear ones are going cloudy - a point of diminishing returns, so to speak. At that point, your buds are no longer gaining in potency.

Text under third image should state: Degraded trichome heads; past potency. ;)

Also, be sure that you are examining the ones on the flowers (not the leaves). And I doubt you'll ever see a 100% cloudy/milky situation, because they were not all created on the same day. If you aim for maximum potency, you'll probably end up with some that have already degraded and some that have not reached maximum potency yet. But there will be a point when more cloudy are going amber than clear ones are going cloudy - a point of diminishing returns, so to speak. At that point, your buds are no longer gaining in potency.

I understand from the data and articles here, as you said, I will harvest when the clean ones get milk and the milk ones get amber color,

So what do you think this ratio should be? When I examine a calyx and count 20 trichomes, is 10 amber 10 cloudy a good ratio?

So what do you think this ratio should be? When I examine a calyx and count 20 trichomes, is 10 amber 10 cloudy a good ratio?
I think it is best to say that the answer is personal to each individual's taste just like a cup of coffee or how you like your eggs. There are differences of the high that are attributed to the length of time that the plant flowers for before being harvested.

Personally, my preference is for I go for something around 5% - 30% amber at which point the cloudy/clear is whatever it is. But in all fairness I haven't run a bunch of controlled side by side harvests to prove that is indeed my preference. I am just following the (bro?) science and because it seems to be good when it comes time to enjoy it. I have read reports stating the maximum THCA is in the clear trichome stage, which would seem to contradict the liking of some people (like me) for a percentage of amber, but maybe the answer lies in the retinue of terpenes and other associated cannabloids that no doubt develop at different stages and they may very well contribute a lot to the high, in addition to THC which we often tend to focus on.

So what do you think this ratio should be? When I examine a calyx and count 20 trichomes

In a perfect world, all 20 would be cloudy. But it's not a perfect world, lol.

is 10 amber 10 cloudy a good ratio?

Not in my book. See my previous post (#9). In your scenario, I would think that you waited so long for that last clear trichome head to turn cloudy that a considerable percentage of your cloudy ones already went downhill. Had it been me, I'd have been checking on a daily basis (starting from when I thought they might be getting close) and, when I began seeing more cloudy go amber than I saw clear going cloudy, that's when I'd harvest. I might let it go a day or two past this, to be as certain as I could be that I wasn't just mistaken. But that's because... people have a way of second-guessing themselves. Not because I'm wanting amber trichome heads.

Some people like their effect to be "indica." I can understand that, it's personal preference, and that's cool. Intending to end up with n percent of amber-headed trichomes made sense - to me, I mean - "back in the day" before seedbanks/breeders/sellers existed. I mean... You had some bud, you thought it was pretty good - so, if you found a seed or two in an ounce, you grew it/them out. And if you wanted a more "indica" effect, you waited longer to harvest. But now... <SCRATCHES HEAD> With over 2,000+ strains commercially available in seed form, there's no reason (again, in my opinion) to harvest a strain late in order to try to get the effect you want. Grow the strain that is right for YOU, and harvest it at its peak. There are lots of "pick you up and pour you into the couch" type strains available.

This is my opinion, along with my reasoning for same. Others' opinions may vary.

I think it is best to say that the answer is personal to each individual's taste just like a cup of coffee or how you like your eggs. There are differences of the high the are attributed to the length of time that the plant flowers for before being harvested.

Personally, my preference is for I go for something around 5% - 30% amber at which point the cloudy/clear is whatever it is. But in all fairness I haven't run a bunch of controlled side by side harvests to prove that is indeed my preference. I am just following the (bro?) science and because it seems to be good when it comes time to enjoy it. I have read reports stating the maximum THCA is in the clear trichome stage, which would seem to contradict the liking of some people (like me) for a percentage of amber, but maybe the answer lies in the retinue of terpenes and other associated cannabloids that no doubt develop at different stages and they may very well contribute a lot to the high, in addition to THC which we often tend to focus on.

Good post. Some well stated food for thought.

Hi Dunia,

Sorry about the OCD! Don’t listen to them... Nope, not at all.... here’s the real deal.

You should chop when it’s perfectly ready, cure it and ship your full harvest to me for umm, oh yes - for further testing!!!

013 - member in good standing at the Association of Super Smart Weed Growers!!! Now who doesn’t appreciate a good ASSWAG??? Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Have a great Friday!

Back
Top Bottom