Trouble germinating seeds

guerrillabalconygrower

I’ve been facing a peculiar problem germinating seeds lately.

Very low rate of success. The same strains from the same vendor would easily sprout earlier (2-3 months ago). Almost 100% success. I use the tissue paper method. Pre-soak seeds for 12 hrs in water and even sprinkle mycorrhiza. Have even tried adding seaweed extract to the water.

Only thing that has changed since earlier is the weather conditions - from warm
(avg 30 deg C) and humid (80%+) to warm (avg 25degC) and dry (<40%).

Can the change in weather conditions affect germination rates so drastically? Anyone else faced this? I’ve lost entire batches of seeds to this :-(

I agree with the outside temps colder influencing my indoor germ/clone rate success.
I still plant seeds in the dirt, when the dont pop usually this time of year. I slowly empty out my soil with seed into rubber maid container with lid on, inside the house where its warm. They usually pop after that.
Hope that helps

I’m not a fan of paper towel method but we’ve all learned different methods…to each their own. I soak for 24 hours in water with splash of H2O2 to kill any nasties then go straight into soil.

Suspect you need a heat mat, never had one myself until recently but because I’ve had similar germ failure probs figured it would be good investment. A failed bean or two easily covers cost of heat mat (think mine was $ 20 clams)

also you gotta be sterile clean when handling seeds & tails… seeds need dark & warm to germinate but the second that puppy stands above ground - it’s on like donkey kong

best of luck

This also helps my germ rate but i know it not paper towel method
20221121_120800.jpg

I’m not a fan of paper towel method but we’ve all learned different methods…to each their own. I soak for 24 hours in water with splash of H2O2 to kill any nasties then go straight into soil.

Suspect you need a heat mat, never had one myself until recently but because I’ve had similar germ failure probs figured it would be good investment. A failed bean or two easily covers cost of heat mat (think mine was $ 20 clams)

also you gotta be sterile clean when handling seeds & tails… seeds need dark & warm to germinate but the second that puppy stands above ground - it’s on like donkey kong

best of luck
The ambient temps are already at 25 deg C (75F+). Don’t think heating pads are available at my location. But I’ll search nevertheless.

I’ve had good success with the paper towel method earlier. Unfortunately all the little babies were destroyed in a rodent attack.

thanks but that’s my bad…. temps given in C still wrinkle my little pea brain 🙃 heat mats cost more $$$ at grow shops but online is usually cheaper. Maybe search for “hydro stores near me” that or whatever serves as your equivalent of bezos mart

yes same, same- the critters are coming in hard with cold snap here

im sure you will get it sorted

thanks but that’s my bad…. temps given in C still wrinkle my little pea brain 🙃 heat mats cost more $$$ at grow shops but online is usually cheaper. Maybe search for “hydro stores near me” that or whatever serves as your equivalent of bezos mart

yes same, same- the critters are coming in hard with cold snap here

im sure you will get it sorted
Where I stay, max daytime temp is 90F and min is maybe 60F. That’s what we call “winter” in our part of the world. Do you think ambient heat can be a problem here?

enviro sounds great but I’d still try germing with a bit of heat, top of fridge is usually pretty toasty & stable and maybe add a dome to hold rh but once its standing above ground the dome could/should be nixed.

I’m a bean killer from the word go & last week had an bean that wouldn’t pop, finally misted again, domed her and wrapped seedling heat mat under plus overlapped it on the sides and tied in place then she finally stood up. Now if I can only avoid stunting this girl

yes sir I believe changes in weather affects my germ rates for realz, for me low rh is killer. We’re in winter it’s cold + dry

older seeds may not be as viable either. the ambient temps should be high enough that a mat wouldn't be needed, you might give it a try though. i germinate on a shelf above my stereo amp and use the residual heat from that.

seedlings shouldn't be domed. that's for clones. your seedlings should be left to harden off to the conditions from the get go. doming them or growing in extreme high rh, can lead to damping off and dying in the early seedling stage.

older seeds may not be as viable either. the ambient temps should be high enough that a mat wouldn't be needed, you might give it a try though. i germinate on a shelf above my stereo amp and use the residual heat from that.

seedlings shouldn't be domed. that's for clones. your seedlings should be left to harden off to the conditions from the get go. doming them or growing in extreme high rh, can lead to damping off and dying in the early seedling stage.
I agree brother! No dome on clones. It was just for germination and after the pop lid comes off..
It took me awhile to figure out hard running perpetual in veg in winter if plants are different in age. I usually close my 2x2 this time of year with one cutting/seeds

also try give your older seeds a roughing up, with some wet/dry sandpaper, or the striker side of a box of wooden matches. weakens the shell a bit, giving the tap an easier time to escape.

I’ve been facing a peculiar problem germinating seeds lately.

Very low rate of success. The same strains from the same vendor would easily sprout earlier (2-3 months ago). Almost 100% success. I use the tissue paper method. Pre-soak seeds for 12 hrs in water and even sprinkle mycorrhiza. Have even tried adding seaweed extract to the water.

Only thing that has changed since earlier is the weather conditions - from warm
(avg 30 deg C) and humid (80%+) to warm (avg 25degC) and dry (<40%).

Can the change in weather conditions affect germination rates so drastically? Anyone else faced this? I’ve lost entire batches of seeds to this :-(
Sounds like your seed got water.logged and rotted Iv never soaked sseed before always just.place.them in wet paper towel in a zip lock bag they pop in under 2 days most time they pop.next morning 😊good.luck.

Hmmm.. possible. Let me try doing the straight to paper towel method with a control set. Thanks!

best of luck
H2O2 seems to have worked! 4 new seeds. Soaked 14 hrs in 1% solution. Washed and then straight to jiffy plugs. All 4 have grown a healthy tap.
MAYBE, I was depriving the seeds of oxygen in the tissues 🤦‍♂️.

Question: 1 sprout is just showing above the plug surface. Do I put it under lights or wait till I see the seed cap?
Right now, the plugs are covered and are under complete darkness.

D36B613A-FF7E-4B34-AC1E-3B9DFCBF99DD.jpeg

I just asked this question in my journal as well.
I’ve seen so many germination issues across so many different mediums methods breeders genetics and growers from all experience levels.

I say it starts with a quality seed. every method has been proven to work.
Then it boils down to environmental issues.
My tent was “perfect” conditions with older seeds
Nothing popped and if it did it was slow going still not above ground.
I saw increased movement after adding a heat mat and the new seeds popped almost immediately.

I’m chalking my issues to viability of seeds and conditions.

Anyway I’m glad you finally got movement on them.

Back
Top Bottom