Uh oh! Hermied?

supraboosta

Hi all, Week 8 of flower. Noticed these emerging from the buds on one of the plants. Picked a small lower bud and got a good pic thru a loop. Looks like it has hermied? I have never seen this, but after looking it up, it looks like it may be.

If so, what are my options here? Got 4 plants, and a few weeks left I believe. These are starting to emerge on most buds on this plant. Hard to tell if there are any on the others.

image0 (6).jpeg

image2.jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

If this is happening on just one plant it will be a chore to do it but the male flowers can be cut off or destroyed by pinching. Then decide if you want to keep growing that particular plant or just start to harvest it and get it over with. The plant is pretty close to being ready for harvest which a saving point. Keep in mind that If you do nothing you might have a week or so before the seeds start forming since some of those look like they are ready to drop pollen and more will be ripening in the next couple of days.

The basic process is called "rodelization" which was as mentioned in a thread by @Pat Puffer in a thread from mid-April of last year. Click the green word "rodelization" if you are interested in reading that thread.

This quoted text below is from my response in a thread from earlier this year.....
Yes, it is possible. I have run into male flowers a few times.

The male flowers can be pinched off. If they have not opened up they can be destroyed just by squeezing them which sometimes can be easier to do than trying to pick the part off without disturbing the female parts of the bud. Occasionally, on small branches near the bottom of the canopy, just about each bud can have one or two male flowers and it was easier to just cut the whole small branch off.

When I have had plants start to show the male flowers at 2 to 3 weeks after female flowering started I would run into a second batch showing up again, often about 2 to 3 weeks after removing the previous batch. Then again in another 2 to 3 weeks. With these plants I would consider the production of male flowers to be hard-wired right into the genetics of that batch of seeds. Any clones taken off those female plants, either while the mother was in vegetating mode or very early in the stage followed the pattern. As long as I stayed on top of looking and removing or crushing the "balls" before the bananas got too large I did not have any seeds on the plant or any other plants in the room. But, it is a lot of work. I will rarely continue to keep sprouting from the batch of seeds or taking cuttings for clones when this situation comes up because of the extra work needed

Then there are the female plants that will start to produce a few male flowers towards the end, often around 8 to 10 weeks after flowering starts. These plants are making some sort of "last minute" attempt to perpetuate their specie by producing a few seeds. The tricky part is that I would find the male flowers tucked right into the buds and not hanging loose like in your photos above. The way to see them was to look for the banana since the balls were usually hidden. These male flowers could show up anywhere on the plant and not just the lower canopy as mentioned in the other example. I would sometimes find a banana or two in the very top buds so a complete check of the entire plant was needed. Again, with a bit of time spent I would rarely find a seed after harvest

I found the best way to avoid the second example of plants producing male flowers late in flowering was to stop leaving the plants in the flowering tent for week after week waiting for more amber trichomes. Once the buds show their full size and the trichomes appear to be as milky as they are going to get it is time for harvest

Best part is no one has complained. Instead they say the "high" or "buzz" or whatever they want to call it is better. And they are happier with the taste and smell. And, I have to agree with them so no more spending weeks waiting for "couch lock" amber.

Thanks for replying and confirming my thoughts SmokingWings. Great info here that I was not aware of. I will just chop them now. This grow wasn't the best, but learned something new. Got some SIP buckets setup for the next grow and I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks for replying and confirming my thoughts SmokingWings. Great info here that I was not aware of. I will just chop them now. This grow wasn't the best, but learned something new. Got some SIP buckets setup for the next grow and I am really looking forward to it.
Some great colors in those buds even if there are a few yellow banana shapes mixed in.;) .

If the problem is in only one of the plants you can harvest juat that one and leave the others if you want more ripening. If it is happening to all of them then you will have a rough idea of how long to leave plants from that batch of seeds.

Enjoy the new grow.

Some great colors in those buds even if there are a few yellow banana shapes mixed in.;) .

If the problem is in only one of the plants you can harvest juat that one and leave the others if you want more ripening. If it is happening to all of them then you will have a rough idea of how long to leave plants from that batch of seeds.

Enjoy the new grow.
That is a good life motto -

Some great colors in those buds even if there are a few yellow banana shapes mixed in.
- @SmokingWings

If I was you I'd chop that one and harvest. I'd Watch all the plants closely and continue on with my grow and hope that nothing else herms. It sucks when this happens because of the time ,money and materials invested. Just curious, was this a Feminized seed? Do you mind letting us know what you were growing and from what breeder?
BMG

I bought some dark father bud from a local dispensary last year. had quite a few seeds in them. I asked the guy at the dispensary when I went back, and he said they would be all feminized seeds.

Grew 6 plants of this last year, and 4 here just now, all were female. I did end up chopping all 4, as this one that hermied was the best plant.

I bought some dark father bud from a local dispensary last year. had quite a few seeds in them. I asked the guy at the dispensary when I went back, and he said they would be all feminized seeds.

Grew 6 plants of this last year, and 4 here just now, all were female. I did end up chopping all 4, as this one that hermied was the best plant.
The problem isn't about whether or not the majority of the seeds will have a higher female to male ratio or even 100% female ratio at that, the problem arises when people start breeding with these genetics.

Back
Top Bottom