CBD BudMan

OUTDOOR SOIL GROW

Strain
= Gold Leaf (fem) in 2018 and Purple Haze (fem) in 2019
# of Plants = 6
Grow Type = Soil
Grow Stage = Bloom
Bucket Size = In the ground
Lights = Outdoor full sun (with 40% white shade cloth)
Nutrients = Sub-Cool Super Soil
Medium = Sub-Cool Super Soil
R O water = PPM = 8; PH = 6.5
Outdoor Temperature = 90 to 105+ with a couple of days at 113
Location = SoCal along the 34th parallel

Problem: One plant, in the northwest corner of my yard, always gets seeds. In 2018 I had put up black plastic tarps to shade plants from neighbors lights (only at night) but didn't discover seeds until harvest. Most of the seeds were in the one plant in NW corner (60-100 seeds from a 7' plant) with far fewer seeds in other plants that were farther away from this plant. Adjacent plants had 30-40 seeds and the plants adjacent to them had 10-15 seeds.

In 2019 I didn't use the tarps at all because I fimmed the tops to keep them below the fence line. As a precaution, I decided to use the shade cloth overhead because of the high heat, even though everything I could find about these strains says outdoor heat is OK. This resulted in only about 25 seeds in this one plant compared to the year before. Adjacent plants had about 15 seeds and the farthest ones only had 5 seeds. Any ideas? :idea:

I could send pics of yard/grow area and such, if you think you need them. Thank you all in advance as I truly appreciate all help I can get from outdoor growers. :thumb:

Bees love weed and can make some really good honey there are some people who put bee hives in there grow and get natural thc honey
Very interesting. I don't like Bees but I like Honey. THC Honey .... Now that sounds Bomb.
I wonder if there are any YouTube video grows on this. I'll have to do a search.

Yup, someone nearby has a Male plant.

There may be a hemp field nearby-they're popping up all over around here (central Cali.)

Yeah thinking a few male flowers somewhere on your plant or your neighbors grow on the other side of fence. Also could be that pollinators are more attracted to that particular plant scent?
Yes... There must be male flowers somewhere. I'm thinking a few nanners on this one plant in the NW corner. My questions is "what's causing this to happen?" I know for an absolute fact that my immediate neighbor, just over the fence, does not have a "grow". I also feel that, because of the rather dramatic reduction in the number of seeds on adjacent plants that this is a localized phenomenon within my yard. I just can't seem to find the cause. It seems to me that something is stressing whatever plant that I place in this part of my yard. I could simply not plant in that spot, but then I would only be avoiding the problem without having a chance at discovering what it might be.

Yes... There must be male flowers somewhere. I'm thinking a few nanners on this one plant in the NW corner. My questions is "what's causing this to happen?" I know for an absolute fact that my immediate neighbor, just over the fence, does not have a "grow". I also feel that, because of the rather dramatic reduction in the number of seeds on adjacent plants that this is a localized phenomenon within my yard. I just can't seem to find the cause. It seems to me that something is stressing whatever plant that I place in this part of my yard. I could simply not plant in that spot, but then I would only be avoiding the problem without having a chance at discovering what it might be.
Well try to do a slur test on your dirt over in that corner and check your ph or for about 35 dollars you can have it tested and know exactly what's in it then you would know

I would say someone that way is growing and had a male if it was my guess bee flu for miles
Very interesting theory. If it was a bee, wouldn't they be more even in their visits to all of the plants in my yard? 2 different years, each with different strains, and the same plant gets heavily favored by these bees? Hmmm... I'm not sure.

Well try to do a slur test on your dirt over in that corner and check your ph or for about 35 dollars you can have it tested and know exactly what's in it then you would know
This sounds like a good idea. I have a good hydro-shop in my area and they have all kinds of test equipment for soil, brix, THC/CBD of the buds and other tests. However, because I do mix up my own SubCool Super Soil and dig holes in the yard for this soil and the large vegging plants just before blooming, making sure that each one is treated the same, I wonder if it really is the soil. I'm not against doing this test, I think it's a good idea, I'm just wondering out load here... speculating.

Well well well, after a few days filled with other distractions like Purple Haze, I decided to look into the possibility of bees causing the unwanted seeds in my garden. I'll B honest, at 1st I thought @Fastass419, @Lerugged and @Buds Buddy were enjoying too much good dank buds because, to me, their suggestions just didn't seem plausible. That is until I found this: Bees and Cannabis | Bee Culture

While the article clearly upholds what I've known for a long time about weed NOT being attractive to bees, it also went into detail how many other factors can lead bees to my beloved green girls. I must say, I would have never even considered this on my own. And even my favorite local hydro shop never considered it could B bees. The article also pointed out that this generally happens late in the season, which was my experience, and why. But not only the timing, but also the fact that I did have an issue with insects. This is one of the things, as explained in the article, that can attract bees. And, yes, I knew there were careless gorilla growers in the wider area, but I also knew that they were downwind of my location and "shouldn't" have beed a problem. The argument that bees could close this protective gap is simply amazing to me!

Needless to say, I will bee (LOL!) looking into ways of keeping these guys out of my garden this year. Thank you all. And yes, I will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom