Upgrading Lighting

Sir Digby

I'm trying to decide on how to upgrade the lighting in my 4x4 tent. I just bought a 4 puck growmau5 rack for my 2x4 tent and I really like it so far. My instinct is to just upgrade the 4x4 with 2 of those lights. BUT I hear a lot of good things about HLG boards and growers on here seem to really like them.

Now I'm considering getting an HLG 550 v2 for that 4x4 space instead of the growmau5 pucks. As far as I can tell the HLG is not dimmable and obviously cannot be split up to assemble in a different configuration, but HLG does have a 3 year warranty and would probably be around $100 or more cheaper.

SO I ask you, the fine growers of 420 Mag forums, should I go with more pucks or the hlg fixture?

Of you can get 2 of the 260 watt qb 288v2 xl. Or 2 of the 320 watt qb v2 xl. They are easy to assemble diy kits. $700ish for 2 of the 260 watt. $900ish for 2 of the 320 watt. 2 260s are probably enough. I have one in a 2x4. You can hang them independently as opposed to the hlg 500. They are dimmable.

I'm trying to decide on how to upgrade the lighting in my 4x4 tent. I just bought a 4 puck growmau5 rack for my 2x4 tent and I really like it so far. My instinct is to just upgrade the 4x4 with 2 of those lights. BUT I hear a lot of good things about HLG boards and growers on here seem to really like them.

Now I'm considering getting an HLG 550 v2 for that 4x4 space instead of the growmau5 pucks. As far as I can tell the HLG is not dimmable and obviously cannot be split up to assemble in a different configuration, but HLG does have a 3 year warranty and would probably be around $100 or more cheaper.

SO I ask you, the fine growers of 420 Mag forums, should I go with more pucks or the hlg fixture?

Ah, it is!

Of you can get 2 of the 260 watt qb 288v2 xl. Or 2 of the 320 watt qb v2 xl. They are easy to assemble diy kits. $700ish for 2 of the 260 watt. $900ish for 2 of the 320 watt. 2 260s are probably enough. I have one in a 2x4. You can hang them independently as opposed to the hlg 500. They are dimmable.

I'm going to have to look into those kits. I am also considering assembling the light myself this time out of that t-slotted aluminum and saving some extra money on the puck build. I'm just not sure it would be a huge savings which kind of makes me want to save the time and buy them assembled

Led grow lights depot is a sponsor here. I'm not sure if they give a 420 mag discount or not yet. They have only recently become a sponsor. It wouldn't hurt to ask though. They carry hlg and also.

cool, thanks!

Attachments

• the-more-you-know2.png
    the-more-you-know2.png
    447.9 KB · Views: 73
I meant to ask. Is it just that the driver is dimmable and I would actually have to wire in a dimmer or is there a dimmer built in that I'm missing? Is that little screw driver slot on the driver a dimmer?
Dependent on the Meanwell driver that comes with the light, there are various dimming methods
An "A" series driver i.e. C2100A means that it has a built in positrometer built into it and dimming is done via phillips jeweler's type screwdriver
A "B" series driver i.e. C2100B means that it has the option to wire in a remote positrometer

You choose what works best for you... all conditional on what the seller has of course ;)

All my QB are the B version driver, nice to have the dimmer easily accessible

I diy all mine, well not true, my qb288 are Timber built lights

Love the QB bds for sure

I like them both. I think I may end up helping a friend out with an HLG fixture and then sticking with the growmau5 for myself. I do still like the idea of being able to split both racks into two different tents the size of my small one if needed. Plus I have a feeling if I end up having different lights I'll start to favor one over the other and then just end up spending more to make them all whichever one I favor.

Dat warranty though... It's so tempting. Has anyone ever had to use HLG customer service for a warranty claim?

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the HLG. LED grow light depot made me an offer I couldn't resist. I get the 3 year warranty plus I get to buy it for a great deal from one of the sponsors. It ended up being considerably cheaper than two new puck rails would be.

I'm happy and the plants will be much happier on the next round after I reset the tent.

Back
Top Bottom