Vapoholic's Skunk 2016 - First Grow

Day 24. I'm quite happy with the growth and node distance at this point :)

1G5B5038.jpg

1G5B5039.jpg

You should be! They look great, even keel and tight node spreads. :goodjob:

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Looking great, sounds like your conditions are all in check & pretty well set up... i only mention as i was not to sure or did not see any thing relating to the area mention.

I'm sure you will do just fine on ya first grow :Namaste:

Yeah, I'll see what they say. I can always replace some water with clean.

As they've been growing the last week, giving them full nutes I would be more worried about getting in some kind of "Take us to your leader" situation :p

I waited until today with the water change. I decided to aerate my water with an air stone for a day before using it.
I have also added two air stones to the res. Reading up on it, it really seems like a prudent thing to do, especially when the roots starts to get down to water level. It will keep the water moving as well.
The problem I had with sediments before must have been a mixing issue somehow, I don't see any problems now (at least not yet).
I still don't know about the rising pH however, if the air stones will give me that again or not, time will tell.

While filling the res I noticed one leaf with a brown tip, curled upwards. I also noticed indications that certain other leaves had this as well (only a minuscule dot however). I diagnosed light burn for now, since I've been keeping the light at the absolute minimum distance (40cm) recommended by DormGrow, so I raised it.
I was considering nute burn, but I started out with 1/4 strength, then moved to 1/2 and I've never gone above that until now.

I'll keep an eye on it, will try to get a photo later tonight.

Good observation on suspect nutrient burn :thumb:

Other growers may use EC pens to test nutrient solution as to guide them with dosage rates through out the grow.

Some may use PPM pens but may get confusing as they are two different readings 500 ppm & 700 ppm this depends on what side of the pond you are from or where they are made etc

My pen does ppt, but it also does ms/cm (EC), and EC values seems to be easy to find references to where they should be.

I can't find any other signs of issues at the moment. I have noticed that it's not easy spotting certain things under the LED light though, especially if you're intuitively not looking for them (like discoloring). The only reason the photos look somewhat normal is because of post processing, otherwise it pretty much looks like the photos on the first page :p

Raising the lamp was probably a good idea in any case, the girl at the top left has been rather shy, but she seems to have stretched out more now.

The two small containers on the res are dehumidifiers I'm experimenting with.

Day 29:
1G5B5045.jpg

Man I almost started crying :(

I cut all four plants now, but I manged to snap one main branch. It's the biggest girl however so let's see if my CPR/bandaging helps.

1G5B5047.jpg

Well what do you know. One of the three branches on the end of the broken one was completely soft/flappy after a little while and hanging straight down. Now it has recovered :)

I don't know if it was a good hunch, but I thought I'd give her some humidity, so I opened my shower on hot up to 70% (I have a rather large bathroom, so I stuck the tent in one end).
I don't know if it helped, but hopefully she appreciated the gesture at least.

This is now:
1G5B5052.jpg

I know how ya feel...

I was practising some super cropping awhile ago & basically snapped the main cola stem in half it was like omg :jawdropper:

All tapped up & doing well but may need to think about extra support when she packs out a little later in flowering.

Sad day, but I decided to cut my losses and stop the grow.

This hydro reservoir is driving me insane. Today I had to remove all pots, even if there were roots coming out, to remove and clean the whole reservoir again. Crapload of sediments and gunk. Not smelly in a bad way, but I simply cannot keep cleaning the whole system like this and if I would leave all that crap in (you cannot get all of the bottom sediments out due to the design of the reservoir) there will be issues.

I will restart with either soil or coco coir.

Thank you all for following this and your input/advice along the way.

Well i'm not going to except this !

As i find myself slightly up set about seeing such fine girls go to waste...

You can SAVE them :thumb:

Just run it in till you get soil or coco to transplant & we will deal with it in till time comes... No heaven for wasted plants they deserve their glory for fit purpose !

Yeah I just cut the plants straight off without thinking too much about it.

I just said my goodbyes and used the scissors. I didn't want to linger or hesitate any longer than necessary really.
The res was driving me insane.

I thought about transplanting, but I need to figure out if I am going soil or coco and I'm not sure how long it will take to get that straighten out.

I know it sucks, but it was one of those "jump or not" moments basically. I can probably regret it if start to ponder, but for now I'll just look forward.

Thank you all for your support, I have more or less decided to go for a soil grow.

I can get Canna Professional Plus soil, which is as far as I can gather at the top end when it comes to quality, unless you manage to get some "super soil", but I'm not quite there yet. Plus, there's no one selling that here, so I would have to make it myself. I don't mind that, but it will have to be for when I am more experienced in that case :)

I've looked at coco, but really, I don't mind the extra time and with a good quality seeds and soil the grow should be more than enough :)

I've found some good quality Northern Lights which I am going to try out.

Back
Top Bottom