ViparSpectra Survey: Is Infrared Diode A Must On A Light?

you need to take in to account both beneficial ir and uv exposure are limited to very specific parts of the day cycle, and for a very limited time. apart from that they can be damaging.

uv occurs throughout the day cycle, but it is only really relevant to plants in tandem with ir / far red, when ir / far red occurs. exposure is limited to the earliest part of the day cycle, and lesser at the very end.

you need to take in to account both beneficial ir and uv exposure are limited to very specific parts of the day cycle, and for a very limited time. apart from that they can be damaging.

uv occurs throughout the day cycle, but it is only really relevant to plants in tandem with ir / far red, when ir / far red occurs. exposure is limited to the earliest part of the day cycle, and lesser at the very end.
Very thoughtful insights. So some users mentioned that the IR beads are designed to be adjustable and turned on only when needed.

Very thoughtful insights. So some users mentioned that the IR beads are designed to be adjustable and turned on only when needed.

i have a cob set up for my veg rig that makes use of this. i use a set of 5050smd burples that run for an hour at each end of the day cycle. the burples run for a total of 2 hours giving the plants a mild targeted exposure. the main rig runs for a total 16hrs of the 18hr cycle.

it reduces my electricity consumption even further, and is beneficial.

full

i have each on separate timers. the burple is only on during ramp up / down morning / evening.

my $.02

I don't notice any difference in my plants grown under a BudgetLED 130 (no longer in business) with a switch to turn on ir/uv and my Vipar XS1500, both producing great bud. I usually turn it on mid flower week 4 or 5.
I'm a firm believer it's 90%+ in the strain no matter what we do. What we do only determines the health, yield, taste etc.
My legendary widow kicks ass no matter how or where it's grown.

my $.02

I don't notice any difference in my plants grown under a BudgetLED 130 (no longer in business) with a switch to turn on ir/uv and my Vipar XS1500, both producing great bud. I usually turn it on mid flower week 4 or 5.
I'm a firm believer it's 90%+ in the strain no matter what we do. What we do only determines the health, yield, taste etc.
My legendary widow kicks ass no matter how or where it's grown.
@Hash Hound You do a really great job in planting. Lighting is only part of the planting, we need to pay special attention to other factors when planting for better health, yield, and taste.

i have a cob set up for my veg rig that makes use of this. i use a set of 5050smd burples that run for an hour at each end of the day cycle. the burples run for a total of 2 hours giving the plants a mild targeted exposure. the main rig runs for a total 16hrs of the 18hr cycle.

it reduces my electricity consumption even further, and is beneficial.

full

i have each on separate timers. the burple is only on during ramp up / down morning / evening.
@bluter Thank you for sharing! Your setup is very informative!

Hey ViparSpectra. Good news. New science says Infrared can be beneficial. They are revising PAR to include up to 750nm.

Why Far-Red Photons Should Be Included in the Definition of Photosynthetic Photons and the Measurement of Horticultural Fixture Efficacy

Practical Limitations​

Far-red photons typically cause significant stem, leaf, and/or petiole elongation, which will likely limit the maximum fraction of far-red photons to less than about 20% of the total photon flux for most crops.

Because of these powerful effects, we recommend that LED manufacturers clearly indicate the fraction of far-red photons in fixture specifications [(700–750 nm)/(400–750 nm)].

Hey ViparSpectra. Good news. New science says Infrared can be beneficial. They are revising PAR to include up to 750nm.

Why Far-Red Photons Should Be Included in the Definition of Photosynthetic Photons and the Measurement of Horticultural Fixture Efficacy

Practical Limitations​

Far-red photons typically cause significant stem, leaf, and/or petiole elongation, which will likely limit the maximum fraction of far-red photons to less than about 20% of the total photon flux for most crops.

Because of these powerful effects, we recommend that LED manufacturers clearly indicate the fraction of far-red photons in fixture specifications [(700–750 nm)/(400–750 nm)].

Just watching his latest video and he talks about how and when far red should be used and it's effect on plant growth. Had a very educational morning although I can't say much work has been done :D

Practical Limitations​

Thanks for posting your comments and links, very helpful. Most of our lights contain IR beads. 😃

Back
Top Bottom