Wet Or Dry Trim?

Just A Simple Guy

It's getting close to harvest and I'm checking in for feedback on trimming. My thought is to wet trim all the fans and larger sugars and then dry trim anything left.

Is there any truth to the opinion dry trimming is beneficial to flavor and experience?

personal preference….. I do wet trim - fans plus anything crispy is removed. Often sugars get a bad rap, they make for good smoke and you don’t have to fiddle with grinder.

since no one sees my bud and I don’t care about bag appeal I do wet trim and call it a day. So maybe split your harvest 50 / 50 try each method then later you can compare head to head.

BTW’s I’m a fan of bud washing and also low & slow fridge curing, Bud washing both are long threads but page 1 should get you there, the rest are latest comments Low & Slow fridge cure

I chop the plant hang it onna hook.

Take off all the fan leaves

Cut 3 branches at a time then wash n hang.

Bud wash (doc bud's version)

Hang dry for a week

Dry trim and into jars.

I don't like wet trimming its a messy job and it takes longer IMHO. I do it sometimes but not very often. You need a place to put all the wet flower so its not a big pile so that's a challenge in itself. Dry trim I dont need to deal with that.

For what it’s worth, I wet trim, hang dry until stems snap, put buds into mason jars, 1st week open daily, 2nd week every other day, 3rd week beginning and mid week, 4th week one time at the end. Then I vacuum seal the jars. Cure has always been spot on doing it this way and they’ve never lasted long enough to find out how long they last. I’ve never done it any other way - I do this for convenience as I find a wet trim just a little easier - so I couldn’t comment on taste differences.

I didn’t even know they existed until now - sounds awesome and a heck of a lot better than hand-snipping!
I've only been through a few harvests and it takes a toll on the body and especially the eyes the older you get! I've been wet trimming and then manicuring after they've been hanging and feel like I've been doubling the work needed. We'll see how this goes. I'll use it with my outdoor grow first, which I'm finding is a lot harder than indoor growing with all of the pests and uncontrollable variables. If it looks like a winner I'll give it a go with the next indoor crop. At the very least eliminating the wet trim session and just doing it all at once with a dry trim sounds like it'll save some work. From what I'm reading dry trimming produces a better end product as well.

I chop the plant hang it onna hook.

Take off all the fan leaves

Cut 3 branches at a time then wash n hang.

Bud wash (doc bud's version)

Hang dry for a week

Dry trim and into jars.

I don't like wet trimming its a messy job and it takes longer IMHO. I do it sometimes but not very often. You need a place to put all the wet flower so its not a big pile so that's a challenge in itself. Dry trim I dont need to deal with that.
Hi Bob. Do you chop/hang, pull fan leaves, and wash at the same time? I wanted to make sure there wasn't any time between these steps. It's very similar to what I've been doing but I've been wet trimming before I wash.

I see moisture meters are pretty inexpensive. Do you have one, or any recommendations on which to buy?

It's getting close to harvest and I'm checking in for feedback on trimming. My thought is to wet trim all the fans and larger sugars and then dry trim anything left.

essentially do the same. initial wet trim then hang. final manicure at jar.

Is there any truth to the opinion dry trimming is beneficial to flavor and experience?

none.
that all happens during the grow and cure.

I see moisture meters are pretty inexpensive. Do you have one, or any recommendations on which to buy?

if you mean an rh/temp meter then yes it's a great idea to have one. i use a few.

if you mean one with the probe prongs, to measure soil rh, then hard pass. don't waste your money.

I pull off any leaves with a stem when wet and still in the pot, even the bigger sugars that can be tugged out. Lately I just leave the rest and hang whole to dry. What’s left will lightly crumble or pull off if you want to pretty them up.

essentially do the same. initial wet trim then hang. final manicure at jar.

none.
that all happens during the grow and cure.

if you mean an rh/temp meter then yes it's a great idea to have one. i use a few.

if you mean one with the probe prongs, to measure soil rh, then hard pass. don't waste your money.
I was referring to the moisture meters commonly used to measure moisture in lumber. I see one sold by Triminator but I have a feeling the technology isn't any different than one not marketed towards cannabis.

I'd like to try a dry trimming next round and don't want to eff it up so I'm reading up on the process. It's not a whole lot different than what I've been doing and I've been using hygrometers in mason jars to let me know when I'm at my desired moisture level. I like 62 and use Boveda's in all of my jars. Over a year later and the packs are almost like day one.

The difference next time around is I'll be using a Tom's Tumbler and I read it works best at a specific moisture content. I read about doing conversions with r/h but for around $35 I'm more than happy to add this to the toolbox.

Back
Top Bottom