What do you think about this insecticide? Need suggestion

baxbax

Hi 420 , I found a insecticide and I have used it one time on my plant when I detected aphids leaf chewing pests and fungus gnats , and it is thiamethoxam . I don't know it is safe to use in cannabis farming or no , this insecticide is used in trees or other horticulture farmings and I found manufacture suggest don't use it more then 3 month before harvest ( just see how systemic is this insecticide and how long it last in trees ) i'm about 4 month left to harvest at end of season - when i used it about a month ago on one of my plant with lots of pests include aphids and chewing etc ... all dead and until now not even one flyer could fly near to treated plant , But my newly grown plants having some pests and they will destroy leaves if not treated , i'm going to choose use it on them 3 month before harvest or not . manufacture says don't use more then 3 month before harvest and you know you can wash fruits before use , but i'm not sure about using it in cannabis plant , and don't want waste my time using neem oil or such things . I know if I use just before flowering plants will resistance to pests until harvest . one time a bit of water of this contact my hands and I could not move my hands for one day . safe ?

https://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/cannabis/cannot_use_pesticide.pdf

Every State a bit different, and really lack of research makes it a problem as it not like food you can wash off so only agriculture product similar would be tobacco (and god knows if much research done there as Big Tobacco has a lot of money/clout, which is how govt. works at times unfortunately) . But that one is on their list of "not allowed" due to groundwater issues. Personally I try not to use anything not "organic" or natural like predator bugs/organisms or soaps/oils, but it is a "to each their own" kind of thing and being a natural "chemical" doesn't always mean it is safe for ingestion/combustion.

https://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/cannabis/cannot_use_pesticide.pdf

Every State a bit different, and really lack of research makes it a problem as it not like food you can wash off so only agriculture product similar would be tobacco (and god knows if much research done there as Big Tobacco has a lot of money/clout, which is how govt. works at times unfortunately) . But that one is on their list of "not allowed" due to groundwater issues. Personally I try not to use anything not "organic" or natural like predator bugs/organisms or soaps/oils, but it is a "to each their own" kind of thing and being a natural "chemical" doesn't always mean it is safe for ingestion/combustion.

do you think it's dangerous if I use it 4 month before harvest ? I dont talk about groundwater issues . one of my big plants already treated with this a month a go and 4 month is left , it means 5 month before harvest I used it on one of my plants I should throw this plant away or what ?

my application rate and farm is little and they are not on ground no worry about groundwater issue

do you think it's dangerous if I use it 4 month before harvest ? I dont talk about groundwater issues . one of my big plants already treated with this a month a go and 4 month is left , it means 5 month before harvest I used it on one of my plants I should throw this plant away or what ?

That one is up to you as we all different and have different concerns about what goes into our bodies (I'm getting old and enough crap in the water/air as it is, in my younger days it was of little to no concern as never thought I'd live this long back in the day). I guess what bothers me is groundwater issues means it doesn't dilute easily (or small amounts not good) and hangs around for a long time, along with your comment:

one time a bit of water of this contact my hands and I could not move my hands for one day

That for me is a red flag as in my mind that is more than "a slight skin irritation", but lots of chemicals folks use on bugs that work great but they always have the warnings on the label to move food/pets/yourself from the area for __ amount of time or just say "not for use indoors". Kind of hard for anyone to say as lack of research of any kind far as cannabis goes, and might be safer in edibles than smoking, but then again some chemicals it just makes it stronger when making "concentrates" as some stuff here has passed the OR standards in Flower but not in the hash/oil form made from same Flower as concentration is different.

Same as sometimes things that "work great" are not good, I mean DDT worked great but killed birds/fish/etc... too along with the stuff it was intended to work on before research was done and it was outlawed.

What if I seal soil and pot with big plastic bag , and only spray leaves before flowering ? I have to use a pesticide now as I see some damage are happening outdoor again , It problem is only if it get into soil and stays long time and has high life time in soil ,

Are these plants in pots? I would look into other options instead of this particular product. Some insecticides can cause genetic alterations and mutations in humans. Just not worth it. Aphids can be taken care of with Listerine ( one cup into one gallon water, add a few drops of dish soap) I have used this on aphids for 20 years. It always works for me. There are many ways to control root gnats also. Diatomaceous earth, sticky traps,hydrogen peroxide,T.Bascillus granules etc. The whole hand-went-numb thing would make me run for the hills, away from that crap. But this is only my opinion. Good luck and always read the msds when concerned with a product. Stay safe.

I read the msds for it. Looks like it is toxic to birds, aquatics,bugs of course and especially toxic to bees. It is not mutagenic so that is good at least. Harmful to humans through skin contact and inhilation. When it numbed your hand you were feeling the paralytic effects it was designed for. Use with extreme caution seems to be the overlying theme here.

Back
Top Bottom