What is pH?

Thanks GiGaBaNE... I want to get one of the combo pens but should I get a differnt pen for PH and one for PPMs
What do people think?

Ive been using the strips with mixed results... I gave up trying to guess exactly which colour it is and simply set it in between two readings (say 5.8 - 6.1 for example)

How necessary is it to check the PPMs for a hydroponic system. I am using a recipe from technaflora and will not be modifying the recipe this time since it is my first grow.

Thanks for the help. This community rocks

If you can afford $120 bucks get the Hanna 98129. A professional Ph/EC/TDS/PPM pen type meter. The strips are almost worthless and are wasteful. Ph in a gallon on water changes overnight if you leave the top off. I am always checking PH... From the tap, after aeration, after sitting with the top off, after mixing nutes, measuring runnoff. I would use a container of strips every day.

A great garden needs to able to absorb nutrients from the soil. The correct PH assures that can happen.

HELP! Getting all my ph problems taken Care of what do I need a ph tester, ph 7 for calibration, ph up and ph down? That it? Any other things or tiPs to help?

You need:
1. Tester
2. PH UP
3. PH Down
4. A supply of eyedroppers
5. PH 4.01 and 7.01 Calibration kit
6. PH Storage solution (you have to keep the bulb immersed in this solution when not in use).
7. Optional: Airstone.... You can raise PH by just by giving it lots of air. I use a 6" long stone cylyndar about an inch in diameter.

Thank you very much kind sir! Forgot the ph 4 and ph storage solution so will have to go back to the grow store tomorrow for that. Thanks again! This is my 2nd hydro grow and didn't test the ph at all last time but still got good results and am trying to improve and utilize everything I'm learning on this site.

ph means potential of hydrogen. hydrated lime can make your ph higher. nutrints will make your ph go down. spring water has a ph of 6.5
distilled is 7.0. if i add nutes to my distilled water it will drop from 7.0 to 5.2. or lower.
when in dout flush it out.
its good that the soil goes up and down beause different nutrients are absorbed at different ph levels. calcium and mag are absorbed by a different ph than nitrogen and potasium. but you always want to be within range for optimal growing.

ph means potential of hydrogen. hydrated lime can make your ph higher. nutrints will make your ph go down. spring water has a ph of 6.5
distilled is 7.0. if i add nutes to my distilled water it will drop from 7.0 to 5.2. or lower.
its good that the soil goes up and down beause different nutrients are absorbed at different ph levels. calcium and mag are absorbed by a different ph than nitrogen and potasium. but you always want to be within range for optimal growing.

Wow that's a big drop after nutes! Mine tap water starts at around 7.5 and once I put my nutes (humboldt 2 part, green leaves boost juice, and bud candy in flowering) it only drops it to 7.0. Then I use ph down to get it to 5.7-6.0.

yeah but thats the ph of the nutes/water. not the soil. i nute maybe once a month or twice depending on nute levels. the lowest my soil gets is 6.3. i dont use tap water. chlorine kils benificial bacteria. i used to think clorine will disapate by letting it sit for 24hours. that is not true. it must be heated or boiled off.
that would be distilled water after boiling. according to a MIT professor. tap is crap.

boiled water is no where near like distilled water. in boiled water most elements remain in the water, you can tell this by boiling off a good couple of gallons then scraping up the dry residue and weighing it.

distilled water is when you boild water and catch the steam and cool THAT back into water, that does not have all the elements left behind in your boiling tub ;)

boiled water is no where near like distilled water. in boiled water most elements remain in the water, you can tell this by boiling off a good couple of gallons then scraping up the dry residue and weighing it.

distilled water is when you boild water and catch the steam and cool THAT back into water, that does not have all the elements left behind in your boiling tub ;)

this is true. sorry. i shouldnt have said boiled. thank you for correcting me.
i just dont know what its called. a distiller maybe? like what they use to make alcohol.
i was just saying chlorine remains in tap water even after letting it sit. chlorine doesnt just dissapear.
anyway, i just buy distilled water. but this is getting off subject.:peace:

get the best you can afford if you love your hobby ;)

strips are shit. nuff said =)
Just found that out here for sure. I invested in a PH pen and a PPM meter and found the PH that I had been trusting to be right, strips and liquid both from an un-named hydro supplier, were WAY OFF. My PH was around 8 !!!! I adjusted some tonight, but have to wait for my bloomer tomorrow. Wow am I glad I bit the bullet today and bought 'em. :tokin:

Hey BackWoods,
Well in soil you can add some Sulphur amendment which will lower the PH of the soil gradually, if its spread on top soil. Best when worked in the soil, but I couldnt. And also, you can dilute some white Vinegar with water, about 50ml p/700ml or so, and this will drop your soils PH nearly immediately. It is said to be fine to use, Ive done it and so far think Im ok??
I feed @ 6.0 - 6.4 solution water/nutes, and I tink my girls on her way back to lower PH permanantly now, hope so as she s into flower!!

I water with tap water.. have let it sit for 24hrs and also have not.. The PH of the water is 6.6, after my --- it may rise up pending on which product I use. So Ive had to check each solution once mixed and measure the PH. I feed at about 6 -6.4PH, the run off is usually just a bit lower than whats added.
I thought my PH meter was stuffed, until I was told of buying some CALIBRATION FLUID !!! After that my meter is giving readings now ;) So from a PH of nearly 8, Im down to 7.2, and dropping as Sulphur and water/feed is added. Plant looks overall fine, only things I see are basically natural dying off of lower leaves or leaves that are on the inner branches with no light.
Ive made a call to stick with a plan, and I will see if this is successful or not in a few more weeks! Goodluck everyone! Smokemup

It can be very difficult near impossible to grow a healthy plant without proper understanding of pH and the tools to monitor and adjust the pH.

A must is a good digital pH meter.

I feel like this should be a sticky. A lot of beginner growers including myself treated pH as an after thought. These days I spend close to an hour carefully testing and adjusting my pH each feeding/watering and my results have improved drastically.

IMO pH issues are the root of almost every mystery problem.

Great thread.
i have a few qs mate , i ph water for 6.5 in but my run off is like 5.5 then i adjust to 7.0 and run off 6.0
qs1 whats important what goes in or the run off?
qs2 how do u calibrate a 2 pronged 3 in one tester for water (wet.dry)light?
ive asked these qs b4 but nobody has replied as if is not the most important or as if its not prob the main killer of most plants.
thanks for reply

i have a few qs mate , i ph water for 6.5 in but my run off is like 5.5 then i adjust to 7.0 and run off 6.0
qs1 whats important what goes in or the run off?
qs2 how do u calibrate a 2 pronged 3 in one tester for water (wet.dry)light?
ive asked these qs b4 but nobody has replied as if is not the most important or as if its not prob the main killer of most plants.
thanks for reply

Both the input waters pH and the runoff waters pH are important to understand what is happening in the soil. Either pour soil or soil that has salt buildup with test as a low pH and require flushing with at least twice the volume of pH adjusted water as pot size or until the input pH is the same as the runoff pH. You can not calibrate the 3 in one tester with 3 prongs, it is meant to use in soil that has been watered. Sodium Bicarbonate or baking soda has too high of sodium to be used for plants.

It can be very difficult near impossible to grow a healthy plant without proper understanding of pH and the tools to monitor and adjust the pH.

A must is a good digital pH meter.

I feel like this should be a sticky. A lot of beginner growers including myself treated pH as an after thought. These days I spend close to an hour carefully testing and adjusting my pH each feeding/watering and my results have improved drastically.

IMO pH issues are the root of almost every mystery problem.

Great thread.

Hey good day to yousir,
I have to disagree with you one this one when you are growing in soil.
I use clean tap water astimated to have ph level 8.2 in my area (internet information)
And i understand that when i pour my chemicals in, the ph drops automatically by 2 orso
i dont have a ph meter myself just tested it one time and i have good yields 9/10
you can see my current journal its going almost flawless with the soil ones.

peace :allgood:

Back
Top Bottom