What ph pen or other is "good"

I'm in need of some advice, I found this on ebay... does anyone know if this a good one?
BnE9ef_BGk_KGrHqMOKiMEtlDM2_q5BLiC0JuV0Q_12.JPG

Thanks for the response CK, I made a purchase this morning
accurateph2ppm25solutions4k.jpg

New England Hydroponics sells this kit for just over 100 bucks with shipping included. I'll be using it soon, so my feedback will be posted here for anyone who cares.

Thanks again my friend.

i use the Blue lab combo meter as well. little more expenxive but its worth it. seems to be more accurate and its also easyer to keep it out of the rez lol

I'm in need of some advice, I found this on ebay... does anyone know if this a good one?
BnE9ef_BGk_KGrHqMOKiMEtlDM2_q5BLiC0JuV0Q_12.JPG

Sorry for the late reply/post. I've read it was a good meter - but it was discontinued... last year? Probably why it was on fleabay. Anyway, if I remember correctly, the SM100 was replaced by the MW100. Specs look the same and they use the same probe. Probably just an updated case, and the dials are labeled (and positioned) differently.

I like my Milwaukee pH56 a lot. It floats, it seems stable, and it has two-point "automatic" calibration (you have to push a button to initiate the calibration sequence but don't have to turn dials or screws. It also displays temperature (automatic temperature compensation), displays the pH out to two decimal places, and is pretty accurate (either to +/- .02 or +/- .05, I can't remember which). And you can either calibrate it using 7 & 4 or 7 & 10 solution - but you'd be using the 7. and 4. for your application of course. Pretty sure it is capable of using either "standard" set (7/4/10 or 6.86/4/9.18, but you probably won't be using the NIST set).

Think it was $60something. $65? $69? Something like that. When I first got it I took it to where my buddy works and checked it against one of the ones he uses and it matched after rounding (his cheapest one reads out to three decimal places - but it was also like $2000, lol).

If I had it to do over I'd buy it again. If I had to do it over NOW, I'd pick up their pH600 "disposable" (doesn't have a replaceable electrode) economy meter for about $20. Less accurate, single-point manual calibration... and I only have about $20 haha. But seriously, the pH600 isn't a bad buy for the price. And the pH56 seems to be a great buy for its price.

I am not a fan of portable or bench meters because I'm likely to get a notion to stick the meter in my pocket and head out the door and a portable pen is easier to carry. As mentioned, it also floats. I can use it with one hand and although the display is smaller than what you're likely to find on a portable or bench meter, it's still easy for me to read. But that's just personal preference I guess. Also, you seem to pay a bit more for comparable specs than you do with a handheld pen.

Either way, I've only heard a few complaints with Milwaukee's meters and lots of complimentary statements.

Sorry for the late reply/post. I've read it was a good meter - but it was discontinued... last year? Probably why it was on fleabay. Anyway, if I remember correctly, the SM100 was replaced by the MW100. Specs look the same and they use the same probe. Probably just an updated case, and the dials are labeled (and positioned) differently.

I like my Milwaukee pH56 a lot. It floats, it seems stable, and it has two-point "automatic" calibration (you have to push a button to initiate the calibration sequence but don't have to turn dials or screws. It also displays temperature (automatic temperature compensation), displays the pH out to two decimal places, and is pretty accurate (either to +/- .02 or +/- .05, I can't remember which). And you can either calibrate it using 7 & 4 or 7 & 10 solution - but you'd be using the 7. and 4. for your application of course. Pretty sure it is capable of using either "standard" set (7/4/10 or 6.86/4/9.18, but you probably won't be using the NIST set).

Think it was $60something. $65? $69? Something like that. When I first got it I took it to where my buddy works and checked it against one of the ones he uses and it matched after rounding (his cheapest one reads out to three decimal places - but it was also like $2000, lol).

If I had it to do over I'd buy it again. If I had to do it over NOW, I'd pick up their pH600 "disposable" (doesn't have a replaceable electrode) economy meter for about $20. Less accurate, single-point manual calibration... and I only have about $20 haha. But seriously, the pH600 isn't a bad buy for the price. And the pH56 seems to be a great buy for its price.

I am not a fan of portable or bench meters because I'm likely to get a notion to stick the meter in my pocket and head out the door and a portable pen is easier to carry. As mentioned, it also floats. I can use it with one hand and although the display is smaller than what you're likely to find on a portable or bench meter, it's still easy for me to read. But that's just personal preference I guess. Also, you seem to pay a bit more for comparable specs than you do with a handheld pen.

Either way, I've only heard a few complaints with Milwaukee's meters and lots of complimentary statements.

I'm personally a fan of the BlueLab pH pen. Little expensive, but I've had it for years now and it hasn't steered me wrong at all - lasts a looooooooooong time.

Back
Top Bottom