What type of insect is this? Is it dangerous?

ihatebugs

420 Member
Hello everyone! I just found what looks like a mosquito or flying ant stuck in the resin of my bud.

Does anyone know what kind of bug this is and if it poses a problem in my indoor?

bug-unkown.jpg

It doesn't seem like there are more insects, and I'm going to harvest soon, but I want to know if it's a harmful insect to thoroughly disinfect the entire room before starting over.

You definitely need a better pic... It looks like it could be a fungus gnat

Hello everyone! I just found what looks like a mosquito or flying ant stuck in the resin of my bud.

Does anyone know what kind of bug this is and if it poses a problem in my indoor?

bug-unkown.jpg

It doesn't seem like there are more insects, and I'm going to harvest soon, but I want to know if it's a harmful insect to thoroughly disinfect the entire room before starting over.
That my dear is a fungus gnat. They're like soil fairies. Anytime you water they'll bloom too. I just squoosh them when I see them. Usually they're chilling on the surface of the soil in the AM and it makes it easy to smoosh the little fuhqs.

Fungus gnat definitely! Get some sticky cards, I run them year round in my garden to see what pest come and go.

Here's some useful info

Fungus gnat planet natural
Yellow sticky card traps are available as non toxic control method to reduce the fungus gnats.

I followed your advice and bought sticky traps. I have bought blue and yellow because I understand that each one is useful for different insects. I have put two yellow and blue stickers for each plant, near the tip and on the substrate. Is that enough?

Thank you very much everyone for your advice!

The yellow card can attract and capture to control and monitor the insect population. Fungus gnats enjoy wet root. I would allow the plant pot to dry more between watering.

I followed your advice and bought sticky traps. I have bought blue and yellow because I understand that each one is useful for different insects. I have put two yellow and blue stickers for each plant, near the tip and on the substrate. Is that enough?

Thank you very much everyone for your advice!
That's plenty. You will see the insect traffic shortly.

You have to break the cycle. You have to address them all at once or they will just continue to thrive.

Fungus-Gnats.jpg

Sticky tape - good for the fliers and as a monitor of their presence

Diotamaceous earth - good for killing anything on top of the soil

Mosquito Bits - good for killing larva and eggs in the soil

Those are the 3 things that I do. There are others like treating the leaves with neem oil (too much like work). From experience it has taken 3 treatments to get them under control. Now I start a grow by watering the medium with mosquito bits before I put a plant in it. I may be paranoid, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. These things do no harm to the medium or plants.

You're welcome. I wouldn't delay. You have flyers, so they are already in your soil. Look at the back of your leaves for little white dots. That's them. They burrow into the leaves and eat their way out. It's maddening, but if you attack them all at once, you will get control of it.

Yes, Ive been checking out the @Sierra Natural Science products. They're prices are amazing and they're natural stuff, has great A review's. I'm concerned my gnats are getting wild under the soil. I can knock on the flowerpot and they fly outta the holes at the bottom. No bueno!!! Time to suit up and go on a killing spree. (Mwahahahaha)

You're welcome. I wouldn't delay. You have flyers, so they are already in your soil. Look at the back of your leaves for little white dots. That's them. They burrow into the leaves and eat their way out. It's maddening, but if you attack them all at once, you will get control of it.
Think you may be confusing fungus gnats with thrips/leaf miners
Little white dots are more likely spider mites
H2O2 will kill fungus gnat eggs and larvae in the surface of the soil

For every one you see there are hundreds of pupae and larvae below the surface feeding on your roots. Use a BTI drench to runoff and you'll see the carcasses come out of the bottom. As a preventative I now drench my container before I plant and once a month thereafter. It has taken care of the huge problem I had.

Fungas Gnat.png

IMG_20230326_094418081_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom