What we have here deficiency cal/mag in my opinion

Fietchen

This Plant is very jung day 14 the Ec for feeding between 0,8-1,1 PH 5.7 i add today 0,4 Ec of cal/mag the rest is Base nutes and canna Rhizotonic.

My bet it's Calcium

IMG_20231024_180330.jpg
IMG_20231024_180326.jpg
IMG_20231024_180321.jpg

That's normal leaves . They do that when they die off. Especially the very bottoms ones.
Long as nothing gets above the second third node from bottom. I would worry

But always add calmag. It's a must for these plants.

My bet it's Calcium
I would not bet against you;).

Coco yes i have add cal/mag but not much yesterday i add more
Typical growing soils containing composts will have calcium already in the soil. Some of it is already available to the plants and some will become available as the micro-organisms continue to decompose the soil.

Coco Coir will contain trace amounts of Calcium but it is locked up in the coco and will not be available until the coco decomposes something in about 5 years, maybe a lot longer. And when it does finally decompose it will still be trace amounts. Since the plant you have is a fast growing plant it will demand a lot of a nutrient that is not available.

Often those growing in a natural soil will start to have this problem a lot later since the plant can get the calcium it needs from the compost. But once the plant starts to get large it will need more than their soil mix can supply. Even they will have to supply extra calcium.

It's coco normaly it's fine at this age the 1l Airpot
Maybe this one is just a bit larger than normal so it needs more. Or the plant is a bit different than the others and it needs more than they did. Either way, the signs are there on the leaf in the photograph.

Add the calcium according to the package. If it says once a week then water with calcium once a week. If it says to mix 5 ml to a gallon then mix at that rate. If you only need to mix up a quart then divide the 5ml by 4 so you will add 1ml to 1 and 1/2 ml to a quart of water.

The usual recommendation is to add the calcium & magnesium product once a week. Since coco is supposed to be watered at least once a day pick any day of the week. And when that day comes mix up the Cal-Mag product and water.

add it in with your regular feeding schedule. i toss it in with the nutes. you can add it to the water side if you do an ffw rotation. i added calmag with both.

Today my Thrips Predator arrived also Nemartodes for Gnats ;) Yellow Sticks too.. I do a good watering with the Nematodes and the Nutes. You see there are more Plants with sign of Deficiency. I will watch on it maybe i will add more base nutes next watering.

IMG_20231025_200308.jpg
IMG_20231025_200301.jpg
IMG_20231025_200255.jpg
IMG_20231025_200249.jpg

Guys you sure it's cal/mag?

Signs of calcium deficiency​

Usually the first signs of a calcium deficiency will be noticed in the new growth or younger leaves closest to the lights. One sign of a calcium deficiency is brown spots appearing on leaves that generally start toward the middle of the leaf. In some cases the leaf can also begin to appear yellow, however, this is not always the case. The new growth will tend to curl under and potentially fall from the plant, stems can become weaker and are prone to breakage. The plant will also be more vulnerable to environmental factors such as cold and heat. The plant will also struggle to uptake nutrients due to the compromised rooting system. Calcium deficiency will also slow the overall growth of the plant, including the buds.

To me the spots or areas on the leaves will look bronze more than brown.

I had the same sort of spots or off color areas as in your first photo and some of the others you posted. After a year or two of trying to figure it out I decided it was time to do something about it. I started to experiment with with adding more calcium rich amendments to the soil when mixing. It help but the spots still showed up.

Then I started using Cal-Mag products. The first was a liquid with the usual 5ml per gallon dose. Six months and many clones later I saw enough to say it was the right track. I started looking at dry products, often powders and have gone that route ever since.

Now-a-days I don't even think about those spots since I have not seen them on any leaf since about 2020.

It is worth the minor cost of a bottle or bag of a decent Cal-Mag product to see if it helps. Oh, a side benefit that I noticed was thicker and stronger stems. It also helps with nutrient uptake. All of that might be why Calcium is in the secondary macro-nutrient column before we get to the micro-nutrient column.

Guys you sure it's cal/mag?

Yes
One sign of a calcium deficiency is brown spots appearing on leaves

In some cases the leaf can also begin to appear yellow

The new growth will tend to curl under

stems can become weaker and are prone to breakage. The plant will also be more vulnerable to environmental factors such as cold and heat. The plant will also struggle to uptake nutrients due to the compromised rooting system. Calcium deficiency will also slow the overall growth of the plant, including the buds

Your images show each of these and more.

Some Topf leafs showing also signs of this rost spots but not middle its at the leaf tipps
IMG_20231026_200931.jpg
IMG_20231026_200922.jpg
IMG_20231026_200918.jpg

That’s not considered the tip of the leaf. When they say the tips they mean the literal tiny tip at the very end of the leaf

Because it is getting worse but it has not reached the tips yet.

Add the Calcium to slow it down on all the leaves that are already there and to keep it from starting on any new leaves that will begin to grow.
You mean for spray it on the leafs? How much to add? 0,5ec for leaf feeding?

Add the Calcium to slow it down on all the leaves that are already there and to keep it from starting on any new leaves that will begin to grow.
You mean for spray it on the leafs? How much to add? 0,5ec for leaf feeding?
No, add the Calcium (Ca) to your fertilizing schedule. It will be mixed in with the water. If the instructions are to add the Calcium (Ca) once a week then just pick a day and water with Calcium (Ca) every week when that day comes.

As for the amount it will be on the package, either the back of the bottle or somewhere on the bag.

Most of the time when I read about coco coir growers adding Calcium they do not mention measuring any ec number. They just put in the Ca first and mix and wait a couple of minutes. Then they add the rest of whatever fertilizers they are using that day. They adjust the pH if needed.

The marks show the damage already done to the leaf. The idea is to add the Ca as soon as possible. It will take awhile but the marks will slowly stop showing up on the leaves that the plant has already grown. And then as the plant absorbs the Ca through the root system the marks or spots will not show up at all on the new leaves.

Back
Top Bottom