What yield do these strains have realistically?

Phillybonker

If you can only estimate the yield on one of these strains under the below growing conditions, then that's fine to.

1. Power Plant

2. Gorilla Glue #4

3. Blue Dream

4. White Widow

5. Green Crack

Growing parameters:

Growing in the ground with no container. Plants will be out in the bush.

Fertilizer and soil conditioner: Worm casting, peat moss and thick mulch.

Watering once a week.

Temperatures ranging from 15°C - 26°C.

Humidity: 75%

Up to 15 hours of day light at peak.

Yield is only roughly based on strain. Mostly, yield has to do with the local growing conditions, such as the quality and strength of the light, nutes if used, the mineral content of the soil, and how much water they get. There is no way to answer your question... there are just too many variables. Anyone giving you a number would just be blowing smoke at you.

Fair enough, you've got a good point.

Take a look at the breeders' estimates in an outdoor environment for those strains. Those will be "optimistic maximum yields." Assume that, if you're only able to visit your garden once per week, that you won't get near those estimates. Hope for 50% to 60% of those. Maybe you'll get lucky and beat that. If not, hopefully you won't be disappointed with what you do get.

If they end up getting crowded by neighboring vegetation, lower the estimate even more.

Take a look at the breeders' estimates in an outdoor environment for those strains. Those will be "optimistic maximum yields." Assume that, if you're only able to visit your garden once per week, that you won't get near those estimates. Hope for 50% to 60% of those. Maybe you'll get lucky and beat that. If not, hopefully you won't be disappointed with what you do get.

If they end up getting crowded by neighboring vegetation, lower the estimate even more.

Yeah I figured 50% of estimated maximum yields.

How do you mean crowded by neighboring vegetation?

My wife refers to me as a mountain man and I have spent a good portion of my life in the woods (bush as you call it) prior to meeting her 9 years ago. During that time I have known guys doing “bush grows” and have stumbled upon a few grows as well.

Given the conditions you provided, I wouldn’t expect yields to be much more than 2-3 oz per plant. Conditions in the bush are not conducive to growing big cannabis.

Problems with bush grows:

Light
Cannabis is a light loving plant and does well in full sun, in the bush, although you can see well, actual light levels can be as low as 30% of full sun. This makes for tall spindly plants with airy bud.

Soil
Soil in the bush is generally highly acidic (~pH 4) which is 1000x more acidic than the middle ground of cannabis being pH 6. As well, below the top soil which is not overly deep in the bush, it tends to be clay that is generally nutrient poor. Not a problem for trees, they grow slowly and live for 100s of years. Big problem for cannabis that grows quickly and lives less than a year.

So unless you intend to dig big holes and fill with rich soil, or intend to feed them daily and find a nice clearing to plant in, don’t expect much for yields.

Add in that the time the plant has been growing. I am going to use my location in the US as an example because our summer season will be different than the southern hemisphere. A plant that started in April will be taller, wider and should have more size to it than a plant that was started in early July. Both of them would start to flower in mid August when the nights are getting long enough for the plants to produce the right hormones. But, one is going to be larger than the other.

How do you mean crowded by neighboring vegetation?
Other vegetation like shrubs, trees and vines that are growing nearby can crowd the plant that you are trying to grow. If these other plants are taller they might shadow the plant. If they are to close they can shade the plant. The roots from the other plants can mix with the roots of your plants and both of them are trying to absorb available nutrients and especially water that is available in the ground.

Lastly, experience definitely seems to make a difference. The more experience a grower has the more likely he or she will have a larger and better quality harvest.

How good are you at growing, and growing conditions impact yields more than genetics. I get pounds/plant in the greenhouse with plenty of nutes, sun, water and warmth. That goes for most strains.ggest you use granular organic dry fertilizer mixed into the top 2 inches of soil.

I've never done a Gorilla grow but it seems to me that autoflowers would work best.
They're smaller, need less attention, need less nutrients, easier to conceal.
Great point. Optimize the sun by planting so the solstice is half way through the grow.

My wife refers to me as a mountain man and I have spent a good portion of my life in the woods (bush as you call it) prior to meeting her 9 years ago. During that time I have known guys doing “bush grows” and have stumbled upon a few grows as well.

Given the conditions you provided, I wouldn’t expect yields to be much more than 2-3 oz per plant. Conditions in the bush are not conducive to growing big cannabis.

Problems with bush grows:

Light
Cannabis is a light loving plant and does well in full sun, in the bush, although you can see well, actual light levels can be as low as 30% of full sun. This makes for tall spindly plants with airy bud.

Soil
Soil in the bush is generally highly acidic (~pH 4) which is 1000x more acidic than the middle ground of cannabis being pH 6. As well, below the top soil which is not overly deep in the bush, it tends to be clay that is generally nutrient poor. Not a problem for trees, they grow slowly and live for 100s of years. Big problem for cannabis that grows quickly and lives less than a year.

So unless you intend to dig big holes and fill with rich soil, or intend to feed them daily and find a nice clearing to plant in, don’t expect much for yields.

Yeah I know I'll need a good clearing and maximum sunlight which reminds me I better get onto that soon. Calcitic limestone will take care of the pH level I hope and I'll add worm casting for nutrients.

Add in that the time the plant has been growing. I am going to use my location in the US as an example because our summer season will be different than the southern hemisphere. A plant that started in April will be taller, wider and should have more size to it than a plant that was started in early July. Both of them would start to flower in mid August when the nights are getting long enough for the plants to produce the right hormones. But, one is going to be larger than the other.

Other vegetation like shrubs, trees and vines that are growing nearby can crowd the plant that you are trying to grow. If these other plants are taller they might shadow the plant. If they are to close they can shade the plant. The roots from the other plants can mix with the roots of your plants and both of them are trying to absorb available nutrients and especially water that is available in the ground.

Lastly, experience definitely seems to make a difference. The more experience a grower has the more likely he or she will have a larger and better quality harvest.
I'm going to really need to find a good clearing. I'll make that a top priority when choosing a spot.

Experience is something I don't have. May be I should lower my expectations even more.

How good are you at growing, and growing conditions impact yields more than genetics. I get pounds/plant in the greenhouse with plenty of nutes, sun, water and warmth. That goes for most strains.ggest you use granular organic dry fertilizer mixed into the top 2 inches of soil.

I thought fertilizer is mixed into the soil/hole where I plan to put my plants down. Is fertilizer only put into the top 2 inches of soil?

I thought fertilizer is mixed into the soil/hole where I plan to put my plants down. Is fertilizer only put into the top 2 inches of soil?
That's how I do it, per the instructions on the bag. You add more every month or so, work it in and water well.

Soil there might be better in the bush than here, but I wouldn’t count on it. If you can dig a hole 20” deep and 2 or 3 feet across, amend that soil with organic matter (peat and alfalfa are great but a lot of work for a guerilla grow) leaves, dead bark etc, some lime and a slow release fertilizer, you might do well :)

Soil there might be better in the bush than here, but I wouldn’t count on it. If you can dig a hole 20” deep and 2 or 3 feet across, amend that soil with organic matter (peat and alfalfa are great but a lot of work for a guerilla grow) leaves, dead bark etc, some lime and a slow release fertilizer, you might do well :)

I'll note that down - 20 inches deep, 3 feet across. Peat, alfalfa???, mulch and slow release fertilizer.

Not a gorilla grow, the plants will go into the bush/woods/forest. No containers, no tents.

Back
Top Bottom