What yield do these strains have realistically?

Saw a mention of Spinosad insecticide and did a little research. I have been an advocate of neem for a long time, but I just ordered Spinosad. It breaks down rapidly, is not toxic, and it is used on fruit and vegetables up to date of harvest.npic.orst.edu/factsheets/spinosadgen.html#body

Saw a mention of Spinosad insecticide and did a little research. I have been an advocate of neem for a long time, but I just ordered Spinosad. It breaks down rapidly, is not toxic, and it is used on fruit and vegetables up to date of harvest.npic.orst.edu/factsheets/spinosadgen.html#body
I have read others who recommend this on 420, altho when I checked I couldn't find it available in NZ.

Remember the plant will reach it's potential maximum yield only if you give it the means to do so. I would imagine most people grow under restraints, very few I think are in a position to pull out all stops to maximize yield.
Yeah I got plenty of restraints to prevent me from pulling out all stops.

Do you think high yield strains would produce higher yields than normal yield strains if both were germinated on labour weekend and harvested in Easter?, or do high yield strains require more vegging time to produce those above average yields?

There is a lot of different factors that influence a high yield. If you want to see what real high yielding plants can bring, try googling 'mendo dope boys' and check the images out, they don't speak in ounces but in pounds and they prune their plants while on ladders.
Now those are some big plants!!

You should, everyone's grow experiences challenges so by looking at journals you can learn from other's experiences.
I see most of those journals are indoor grows, I'll see if I can find some outdoor grows later on.

Young plants can be very tasty to animals and bugs, so if you got rabbits or livestock about you may have to put protective netting around them until they get hardy enough. Try to find some people's journals who have grown in similar conditions to what your grow will be. Most people do poorly in their initial grow/s, the best thing you can do is read up on how other's approach growing and that way you have a good chance to avoid pitfalls that can lead to a meagre harvest.

I imagine possums will be the biggest threat to my plants since I'll be growing in the bush.
Hauling chicken wire into the bush is probably not practical to keep the possums at bay so I'll have to find another solution.

I'll try find some outdoor journals now. Thanks

I have read others who recommend this on 420, altho when I checked I couldn't find it available in NZ.
Well, neem still works. I got the Spinosad on Amazon. Being an insecticide for consumer foods, different rules in different countries. I have some mites, and am 3 or so weeks from harvest, so I won't use neem. As the Spinosad is aqueous, and I do wash my harvest, I am going to try it. Neem, being an oil won't come off with a normal bud wash. so can't use it in late bloom.

Spinosad insecticide
Made by Dow chemical, that's the first flag for me, not eco certified or organic certified (Canada) and is highly toxic to fish and aquatic life.
Check out some material safety data sheets (msds or sds).
I would definitely be careful with that shit @Bush Doctor 77 .

Made by Dow chemical, that's the first flag for me, not eco certified or organic certified (Canada) and is highly toxic to fish and aquatic life.
Check out some material safety data sheets (msds or sds).
I would definitely be careful with that shit @Bush Doctor 77 .
Hmm.. that's not good. I have stayed away from such sprays/chemicals preferring more natural or what I perceive to be more natural and gentle to the environment, except the pests I'm trying to kill of course!

Do you think high yield strains would produce higher yields than normal yield strains if both were germinated on labour weekend and harvested in Easter?, or do high yield strains require more vegging time to produce those above average yields?
Yes, I think some strains are high yielders for sure, but how much so depends on the grower and conditions.

Oh I definitely didn't mean to dismiss everyone else, all the advice here is solid.

Stoned and forgot to add in other quotes.
:adore: :sorry:

Time to go offline for tonight obviously.:rofl:
Some of the best weed I've ever grown was grown in cow poop & good native New England farm soil !! And we planted so much, that we seldom worried about how much a plant yielded . I always gave them a handful of 10/10/10 grandular fertilizer at planting and then about 1st of August, i'd give them a good feeding with bloom ferts. And when I didn't see any rain for like a week, I watered only when nature didn't!! Between thieves and critters, it's not worth it anymore, around my neighborhood !!

Yes, I think some strains are high yielders for sure, but how much so depends on the grower and conditions.

It's just that I've got to make a choice soon so I can buy some seeds.

I've narrowed it down to these seeds:

Power Plant
Amnesia Haze
GG4
Green Crack
White Widow
Northern Lights

I'm only going to grow two strains, what two would you recommend for yield?

I'm only going to grow two strains, what two would you recommend for yield?
If I was you, I would look thru the strain descriptions and choose according to what 2 strains appeal the most to you from their smoke reports, and then just grow them as well as you can and let the yield will take care of itself.

I would have thought the only way anyone could answer your question on what 2 strains would give the best yield would be only if they had experience with all of them from the same breeder or seedbank that you intend to source them from. Otherwise you cannot vouch for the same named strain from different seedbank as being the same because they probably wont be. Also too, if you haven't yet got your seeds it can take more than one attempt to get a successful delivery to NZ, so don't leave it until the last minute if you want to kick off your grow on time. Last year on ordering, our first 2 orders were seized by Customs and by the time the 3rd attempt was successful it was too late to plant them so I had to fall back on home made regular seeds.

How far south of the equator are you folks, about 2,800 miles? That's probably somewhere (the opposite) of between our states of Pennsylvania and Michigan, at a guess. Which of your strains are more indica-leaning? Nothern Lights, that would probably be your first choice, but IDK about the second. And the Northern Lights is a guess, too, lol, but it'll probably finish first out of all of your choices.

What type of cannabis you favor seems like an important consideration. Unless you have the ability to trade what you grow for what you want to consume (assuming they're not the same thing, of course). Ask your mentor which strains he has had the most luck with, in terms of both finishing "on time" and of thriving in your average local weather conditions. And, if possible, get more than two strains, since you don't know from personal experience what will be more likely to work. Get at least three - but five or more would be better - of each strain, because of phenotype differences; one seed might lean more towards the sativa end of the spectrum, and the next might lean more toward the indica end. Also think about getting a couple of (markedly different) autoflowering strains and setting out one plant of each once per week from early in your growing season until they're gone. That will do a few things. It'll give you more experience, which is always a good thing. It will make it more likely that you'll harvest some bud regardless of how the weather ends up being towards the end of your growing season. And... At some point, you'll be harvesting a little bit of bud on a more or less weekly basis, which will help tide you over until your photoperiodic plants are ready.

<SHRUGS> Or set up an indoor grow space and have smaller - but multiple - harvests throughout the year, where both you and your plants will be safer, not exposed to the weather, less likely to be caught by LEOs, less likely to get ripped off, et cetera. I wouldn't recommend doing both, though; most of the indoor growers I've known who got caught ended up doing so while they were either tending their outdoor crop or transporting stuff (supplies to the grow site or harvests to the trimming/drying site).

I would have thought the only way anyone could answer your question on what 2 strains would give the best yield would be only if they had experience with all of them from the same breeder or seedbank that you intend to source them from. Otherwise you cannot vouch for the same named strain from different seedbank as being the same because they probably wont be.
Very good point. Different seedbanks could have different variations of the same strain.

Also too, if you haven't yet got your seeds it can take more than one attempt to get a successful delivery to NZ, so don't leave it until the last minute if you want to kick off your grow on time. Last year on ordering, our first 2 orders were seized by Customs and by the time the 3rd attempt was successful it was too late to plant them so I had to fall back on home made regular seeds.

I buy from a domestic seller who imports in bulk from expertseedbank.com and gardenofgreen.eu.

I buy from a domestic seller who imports in bulk from expertseedbank.com and gardenofgreen.eu.
I presume you have had feedback from others that the domestic seller's beans match the descriptions and not just sending a bunch of anything. If it's all good then that's great you have a reliable trustworthy local source, but a shame for those when shysters take them for a ride.

While I have toked for many years, when it comes to named strains I know many but have tried not even a handful whose names I knew. So on your list I have knowingly only tried White Widow, and the version I got would get a thumbs up.

Which of your strains are more indica-leaning?

GG4 and Green Crack are indica dominant.

How far south of the equator are you folks, about 2,800 miles? That's probably somewhere (the opposite) of between our states of Pennsylvania and Michigan, at a guess. Which of your strains are more indica-leaning? Nothern Lights, that would probably be your first choice, but IDK about the second. And the Northern Lights is a guess, too, lol, but it'll probably finish first out of all of your choices.

I'll have to read up on Northern Lights. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ask your mentor which strains he has had the most luck with, in terms of both finishing "on time" and of thriving in your average local weather conditions.

My soon-to-be-mentor who doesn't know he's going to be my mentor yet, he grows unknown strains from seeds he gets from his mates, he's a little rough around the edges but an experienced grower. He averaged 8 OZ's per plant last harvest. I'd be happy with that.

And, if possible, get more than two strains, since you don't know from personal experience what will be more likely to work. Get at least three - but five or more would be better - of each strain, because of phenotype differences; one seed might lean more towards the sativa end of the spectrum, and the next might lean more toward the indica end. Also think about getting a couple of (markedly different) autoflowering strains and setting out one plant of each once per week from early in your growing season until they're gone. That will do a few things. It'll give you more experience, which is always a good thing. It will make it more likely that you'll harvest some bud regardless of how the weather ends up being towards the end of your growing season. And... At some point, you'll be harvesting a little bit of bud on a more or less weekly basis, which will help tide you over until your photoperiodic plants are ready.

Yeah I decided to start germinating earlier than I planned, and doing a few seeds per week so I will have plants growing at different stages, that way if I mess something up and kill the plants or seedlings, I won't lose all my plants/seedlings. I suppose I can grow three strains, you're throwing me in the deep end a bit because each strain has different needs, but that's okay I'll study up.:)

<SHRUGS> Or set up an indoor grow space and have smaller - but multiple - harvests throughout the year, where both you and your plants will be safer, not exposed to the weather, less likely to be caught by LEOs, less likely to get ripped off, et cetera. I wouldn't recommend doing both, though; most of the indoor growers I've known who got caught ended up doing so while they were either tending their outdoor crop or transporting stuff (supplies to the grow site or harvests to the trimming/drying site).

Outdoor growing certainly comes with it's risks and the plants certainly are exposed to all sorts of threats, but I don't have a choice but to grow outdoors. I can grow indoors for may be the first 2 weeks but that's it.

Lol. Deep end and deep budget. That advice about many strains/plants had a whiff of "in a perfect world" about it. How about one pack of 90% or higher indica (the Northern Lights would qualify for this, probably), a pack of something closer to middle-of-the-spectrum (but no more than 50% sativa), and a pack of some kind of autoflowering strain that has a description that appeals to you and has an estimated sprout-to-harvest time of ten or eleven weeks?

Those would be more likely to finish on time than high-percentage sativa strains. The only thing that bothers me about the above suggestion is... It's kind of humid there, on average, isn't it? The denser the plant's structure, the higher the worry about mold/rot, due to reduced ability for air to circulate and carry away moisture that the plant transpires. Strains that produce buds you could hit across a park with a baseball bat might be contraindicated. IDFK. . . .

Those would be more likely to finish on time than high-percentage sativa strains. The only thing that bothers me about the above suggestion is... It's kind of humid there, on average, isn't it? The denser the plant's structure, the higher the worry about mold/rot, due to reduced ability for air to circulate and carry away moisture that the plant transpires. Strains that produce buds you could hit across a park with a baseball bat might be contraindicated. IDFK. . . .
I've seen that happen with a mate who grew Girl Scout Cookies which produced lovely big thick baseball bat colas, but in late flowering we got about 10 days straight of rain, and his plant's colas came down with a lot of bud rot which really munted his yield. The WW I grew that year faired better in the same rain with no bud rot as I figured it was because it's colas were nowhere near as substantial.

Back
Top Bottom