When do you start?

I started way too early last year. I had sprouts March 8th. They were in 7 gallon pots by mid May when I took them outdoors. They got a bit bigger than I wanted, but the weather around here really did a number on them for flower. Lost a lot to mould.
I'll be starting seeds around the end of April this year, to go outdoors mid to late May, with the girl going straight into the ground late May to June 1st just to be sure.
I start them under 15/9 since that's the daylength for this latitude at the end of May. I can almost always get to early October before frost hits, and usually to mid to late October, though that's pushing it. If my plants aren't done by Oct 15th I get worried, so it's mostly Indicas and hybrids that do well. I don't have room for a hoop house or greenhouse.
You might consider a Mimosa strain. They are fast, early finishers, also very high in THC. Had a couple last summer, went into the open roof greenhouse in mid-June and were done by mid Oct., good yield. I'm located in the SF CA. area. ,

You might consider a Mimosa strain. They are fast, early finishers, also very high in THC. Had a couple last summer, went into the open roof greenhouse in mid-June and were done by mid Oct., good yield. I'm located in the SF CA. area. ,
I'll take a look at them. Thanks.

Mimosa is an early finisher? I ask so I know can try some new stuff this year as well.

I started way too early last year. I had sprouts March 8th. They were in 7 gallon pots by mid May when I took them outdoors. They got a bit bigger than I wanted, but the weather around here really did a number on them for flower. Lost a lot to mould.
I'll be starting seeds around the end of April this year, to go outdoors mid to late May, with the girl going straight into the ground late May to June 1st just to be sure.
I start them under 15/9 since that's the daylength for this latitude at the end of May. I can almost always get to early October before frost hits, and usually to mid to late October, though that's pushing it. If my plants aren't done by Oct 15th I get worried, so it's mostly Indicas and hybrids that do well. I don't have room for a hoop house or greenhouse.
I started around April as well Transplanted outdoors that is. Went into early flower. Then re veg. I had a good overall harvest. But something tells me everything wouldn have been of better quality if I had waited to transplant. This this year I’ll be approaching much differently

Has anybody tried the newer Auto strains tagged as XXL? I got a couple recently from the dealer, Canuk I think, that are XXL. One is called Crystal Candy XXL. Going to plant those this summer too.

Funny how now we get seeds from the dealer, where before we were ticked if there were seeds from the dealer. :laughtwo:

They were described as early finishers, and in my experience they were.
Shucks!!! Where did you buy them from!?
I’m literally looking everywhere to buy them since your last post. All say late October or a 70 day strain. But for some reason I always have to add a couple weeks to breeder times. Did you go thru a specific breeder I can check out?

If I have a male auto and pollinate a female of the same breed - do I have auto seeds?? or is it a crap shoot?? Asking for a friend!!!!
Male auto pollinates a female auto, you have auto seeds. If one of them is a photo and the other is an auto you have fast flowering seeds.

If I have a male auto and pollinate a female of the same breed - do I have auto seeds?? or is it a crap shoot?? Asking for a friend!!!!
This is only conjecture, but Autos flower early because they are hybridized with the Ruderalis variety of cannabis. If your auto had seeds and you're sure it was pollinated from the same type of auto, my opinion is you should have seeds of the same variety of Auto. The only caveat is that the seeds will likely 'not' be Feminized, which is maybe a good thing, so you can continue to make your own seeds.

As said, this is conjecture. Speak up if there are holes in my logic. Cheers

I use Rubbermaid blue storage bins for planters.
I have been using laundry tubs on lawnmower wheels - so far so good.
cart.jpg

I have been using laundry tubs on lawnmower wheels - so far so good.
Wow yeah, pretty cool. Sort of like a wheel barrow.

I've wondered about having a shed to put my Autos under lights for their last month of flowering, but keep them outside for the first 8 weeks. Might increase the yield and potency. Maybe just more work I dont know how much stronger it needs to be anyway lolol

Wow yeah, pretty cool. Sort of like a wheel barrow.

I've wondered about having a shed to put my Autos under lights for their last month of flowering, but keep them outside for the first 8 weeks. Might increase the yield and potency. Maybe just more work I dont know how much stronger it needs to be anyway lolol
I mean the exercise alone is worth it no? Lol

Has anyone tried any of the XXL stains? I have a couple Crystal Candy XXL from a give-away.

Your thread has me intrigued because I was/am feeling the same way about my grow last year and how I want it to go this year. I still have so much to learn. So take my responses like a grain of salt and extract what may be useful.
Last years outdoor for me was a huge success. But a complete fail with what I coulda done.
Amen! Compared to my previous years, it was a success but I still had failures.

This year my plans are much different. Going to be organized better. As well much better strain selection. And my own cuts from my own purchased genetics.
I am doing exactly that this year. We are on the same page!

When do you guys typically start up? Anything from indoor seeds to conditioning the dirt? I’m all ears.
So, I dropped my first seeds on Jan 1st. I dropped mainly regular seeds. Only a few of each variety I for sure want to make space in the garden for. Gives me time to veg and clone as needed until I have confirmed females. Personally, I want to learn how to find and keep mommas that I want to keep around. My plan is to transplant outdoors in late May to early June before the solstice. That gives them plenty of weeks to recover and continue to veg and plenty of time to flower to harvest by November.

I’m in Southern California. So my season starts around may.
I am going to tag someone that I look to for guidance and his area of growing is also SoCal. @InTheShed when you have a moment, your logic and processes with outdoor and clones, could help us both!
I’m not the biggest fan of giant plants.
Me neither!!! They are wonderful to look at but the sheer amount of work required to keep them healthy would be too much anxiety for me to handle. Too many spots for pests and disease in my eyes.
I can’t wait for this outdoor season. So many things I wanna correct from last year.
Ahhhh man! I am chompin' at the bit to get growing outside again! I too have so much to fix from last year. Currently working on the garden now with prepping beds and cover crop chopping. Plus getting soil prepped
Lol. Thanks. Yeah. I figured I’d give it another shot. But for outdoors.
I'll be shooting for having some autos transplanted into final containers by April which will give me harvests around the time my clones will need to get transplanted outdoors.

I also plan on dropping other auto seeds in June when I harvest the autos from April. Just to bring in multiple harvest and have more variety. My focus will be on the photos.

Take care and best of luck. Looking forward to watching your grow season! Blessings.

Growing reg and fem autos at 45deg north, plan to start March 1st indoors and go outside in May or when I run out of room.

Doing autos because the smaller size is less obvious, even though legal here, did have one over six ft
last summer. I have also had runts and everything between. Since I'm making my own seed I don't
mind chopping the runts and males.

Also like two harvests, photos risky here if October is wet, you can lose it all.

Growing reg autos at 45deg north, plan to start March 1st indoors and go outside in May or when I run out of room.

Doing autos because the smaller size is less obvious, even though legal here, did have one over six ft
last summer. Also like two harvests, photos risky here if October is wet, you can lose it all.
You're going to take them outside in flower?
43 deg North here, I did consider going with autos one year, but the photo yields convinced me otherwise.
This past September though, lost at least half my crop to mould.

Since I'm making my own seed
Hey 7 - What auto's are you doing - I'm thinking of trying some this year. I grew one last year and just treated it like all the rest and didn't seem to have any problems. It is nice to not have to worry about frost etc.
I am just north of Lake Simcoe so weather can get iffy.

Hey 7 - What auto's are you doing - I'm thinking of trying some this year. I grew one last year and just treated it like all the rest and didn't seem to have any problems. It is nice to not have to worry about frost etc.
I am just north of Lake Simcoe so weather can get iffy.
Nothing special, and have done some crosses.
Red Cheese: small plants and dense buds, did have mold issues once.
Haze and another Sativa heavy auto, larger plants and good mold resistance.

M- I'm sure they will be in early flower. 4 plant limit, will start 4 early march, any
males will be chopped and replaced with more conservative later season starts.
I have also considered trying photos again but starting mid summer after the spring
autos finish.

Nothing special, and have done some crosses.
Red Cheese: small plants and dense buds, did have mold issues once.
Haze and another Sativa heavy auto, larger plants and good mold resistance.

M- I'm sure they will be in early flower. 4 plant limit, will start 4 early march, any
males will be chopped and replaced with more conservative later season starts.
I have also considered trying photos again but starting mid summer after the spring
autos finish.
Photos might as well be auto during the early of the season. Some can take advantage of the early springs. I’m gonna try. Pretty much 12/12 from seed

I have literally 1000s of Mexican seeds idk where they got them. Cartel grows in east Lancaster all over. I know a few. I got gifted an unbelievable amount of seeds with no names. Just described as ones that grow big, or busy or very frosty. That’s all I was told. Assuming majority to be sativas. I plan on sprouting maybe 30 of em to see if they flower from the jump. If they don’t. Ill have a fun pheno pickin this summer which is in my plans as well. I’ll post my updates with that when time comes.

Back
Top Bottom