When does the flowering period begin?

Kenzy

now 39 days old, when should I start the flowering period... if we extend the growth period, will it be better in terms of yield, so will it give more yield?

20220131_120012.jpg

20220131_120002.jpg

Longer veg = bigger ladies
Longer veg = adding a few extra weeks.
Longer veg = if you dont have the space over crowding.
BUT that beig said bigger ladies means more weight.
Guess if you have the space and time is not an issue i like a 5/6 week veg
Some i guess would add those extra weeks a year up and get another grow in.
Hope that helps some. ;)

Longer veg = bigger ladies
Longer veg = adding a few extra weeks.
Longer veg = if you dont have the space over crowding.
BUT that beig said bigger ladies means more weight.
Guess if you have the space and time is not an issue i like a 5/6 week veg
Some i guess would add those extra weeks a year up and get another grow in.
Hope that helps some. ;)
If I keep the growth period long, I get more flowers. is it correct?

Longer veg gives you the opportunity to train the branches which can lead to more bud sites so, yes more flowers. But at some point more flowers will also mean smaller flowers as the amount of hormones gets spread across more buds. So skunksta's advice is a good one to follow.

Yes thats correct my friend.
I assume this is not the first grow.
So my advice add an extra week or two from your last veg.
Just make sure you have the space.
They will double in size and prob bush out some as you know.
Unless you have the space for extra growth your prob end up with less.
Than your last grow due to over crowding or something not as good but more.
Also if those are your final pots i would not be doing a long veg myself.

Ye i have never pushed past the 6 week mark in doors.
And i do top and train.
So just recovering from my abuse MIGHT add a week or so on my veg.
Its a fine line we all tred.
How big
How much training
Not over topping.
I tend to go for no more than 2 cuts 4 tops from seed.
Clones dif story but we wont go there lol.

Yes thats correct my friend.
I assume this is not the first grow.
So my advice add an extra week or two from your last veg.
Just make sure you have the space.
They will double in size and prob bush out some as you know.
Unless you have the space for extra growth your prob end up with less.
Than your last grow due to over crowding or something not as good but more.
Also if those are your final pots i would not be doing a long veg myself.

Ye i have never pushed past the 6 week mark in doors.
And i do top and train.
So just recovering from my abuse MIGHT add a week or so on my veg.
Its a fine line we all tred.
How big
How much training
Not over topping.
I tend to go for no more than 2 cuts 4 tops from seed.
Clones dif story but we wont go there lol.
Thanks you very much

now 39 days old, when should I start the flowering period...
You did not mention if the plants are photo-period or auto-flower.

When the plant is sexually mature. Your plants do not look ready. Even if placed in a 12 hour light and 12 hour dark schedule they still will not start to produce flowers until mature.

The plant starts to become sexually mature when the nodes begin to stagger instead of being opposite each other. There is no way to speed this up that I know of. The grower just has to wait. Once it starts this switch over can take a week to 2 weeks depending on how fast your plant is growing.

Do a google search, or use your favorite search engine, and use the key words:
sexually mature marijuana plants

Scroll through some of the linked articles looking for diagrams or photos showing the staggering nodes.

There is no exact way we can tell when the plant will start to indicate that it is becoming sexually mature; we just have to wait and watch.

Longer veg gives you the opportunity to train the branches which can lead to more bud sites so, yes more flowers. But at some point more flowers will also mean smaller flowers as the amount of hormones gets spread across more buds.
The hormones are produced in the apical tips which are the ends where the new growth emerges whether it is leaves or flowers.

The plant will produce all the hormones it can but in the end it is limited to the quantity & quality of buds that end up being produced by the amounts of macro and micro nutrients available. At that point it is time for the gardener to step and do their part to help.

We can add fertilizer blends that contain Phosphorus (P) to help support the new flower/bud growth. Because of the new flowers we also have to consider adding more Potassium (K) to help the overall plant vigor/health and to help with the ripening of the buds.

Some growers who several weeks earlier were supplementing the available Nitrogen (N) levels in their soil and/or soilless grows will cut back or eliminate the Nitrogen when they give additional flowering fertilizers. Since the new flowers are made up of sugar leaves and other green growth some N is still needed.

now 39 days old, when should I start the flowering period... if we extend the growth period, will it be better in terms of yield, so will it give more yield?

20220131_120012.jpg

20220131_120002.jpg
Your plants are looking good.
Where did you get the square pot elevators for them? I've been looking for those.

You did not mention if the plants are photo-period or auto-flower.

When the plant is sexually mature. Your plants do not look ready. Even if placed in a 12 hour light and 12 hour dark schedule they still will not start to produce flowers until mature.

The plant starts to become sexually mature when the nodes begin to stagger instead of being opposite each other. There is no way to speed this up that I know of. The grower just has to wait. Once it starts this switch over can take a week to 2 weeks depending on how fast your plant is growing.

Do a google search, or use your favorite search engine, and use the key words:
sexually mature marijuana plants

Scroll through some of the linked articles looking for diagrams or photos showing the staggering nodes.

There is no exact way we can tell when the plant will start to indicate that it is becoming sexually mature; we just have to wait and watch.
Bruce banner 2.0 feminizm

In the photographs the plants are displaying healthy green coloration and good leaf formation indicating the environment is supplying the plants requirements are well cared for the light, heat, humidity and nutrient requirements. To create more growing bud sites the topping technique can be used. Topping the cannabis plant by cutting the top section of the stem at or above the third node shall cause the plant to allow the next lower branches to become new dominant tops effectively creating 2x bud formation sites. This topping technique can also be used on the branches at or after the second node to create additional bud formation sites which can greatly increase the total cannabis medicine harvested.

For the highest yield you want to flip 12/12 at 50% of your grow space. Keep in mind this is grow space, not tent space. For example; If you have an 8 foot ceiling - light and hanger= 7 foot. minimum light distance is 1 foot = 6 foot. 5 gallon pot is 1 foot tall for a total of 5 foot plant grow space. Divide by 2 so flip before 2.5 foot. It will also get 25% wider but a net can redirect that.

Eyes bigger than your grow space is a common problem. We have all done it at least once. That's why grow boxes turn into grow tents and grow tents turn into grow rooms. It's a vicious cycle.

For the highest yield you want to flip 12/12 at 50% of your grow space. Keep in mind this is grow space, not tent space. For example; If you have an 8 foot ceiling - light and hanger= 7 foot. minimum light distance is 1 foot = 6 foot. 5 gallon pot is 1 foot tall for a total of 5 foot plant grow space. Divide by 2 so flip before 2.5 foot. It will also get 25% wider but a net can redirect that.

Eyes bigger than your grow space is a common problem. We have all done it at least once. That's why grow boxes turn into grow tents and grow tents turn into grow rooms. It's a vicious cycle.
Several years ago someone on this message board pointed this out to me. Keep cutting off dominant tips as @John C mentions and eventually there will be enough new tips that the plant will do minimal stretching. Instead of 3 or 4 dominant tips growing 12 inches this other member said I could find that I have 12 of them growing 3 or 4 inches. Plus any side nodes below the tip, and there would be a lot of them, would also grow but would not do any real stretch like we find on a plant with more traditional topping or training.

In my early grow journals i demonstrate and explain the process in detail which allow a plant to create many dominant growing tops. With a single plant in sufficient sized pot you are able to produce a plant with up to 42 dominant tops from 23" - 29" tall that when flowered will then produce mostly same equal length colas nearly equal to the length of a single dominant top as conventionally grown plants produce.

The plant has limited roots so it has limited resources. Repeated topping will divide the resources between the tops when there is a high N demand in stretch. So yes more tops will lessen the stretch. The slow steady demand for resources in flowering are no problem for healthy roots. You are absolutely correct.

Each time you top you are adding 2 weeks to the grow cycle for recovery plus growing new mains. If you do that 3 times you are adding 6 weeks of recovery to the grow. It will increase your yield per plant but not the yield per year. If a 3 month plant now takes 5 months the difference in yield would have to be almost doubled..

The key is that it can reduce the stretch. Not that it definitely will reduce to a predictable amount. Not growing to the areas maximum size is better than out growing your areas maximum size.

I believe that the timeline for a healthy growing cannabis plant that when topping technique is used can replace the lost dominant top with 2x equivalent new growth in a period of 7-10 days. This topping technique can also be used simultaneously at suitable lower sites locations on the same plant. This topping technique effectively creates 2x new dominant tops at the node which in flower receive nearly equivalent energy for growth for and from the plant which allow the plant to create long length branches with desirable tight internode spacing and tightly packed bud formation along the majority of the colas length. This topping technique and training can greatly increase the harvested yield per plant. In my past grow journals in the summary you may find where i provide the harvested yield per plant provided in cured dried ready to be consumed bud weight. Using this topping and training technique documented dried and cured weight vary from 168 - 210 grams or greater per plant.

Back
Top Bottom