When to turn on the lights?

So i just put 2 White Widow seeds into peats and am wondering when I should flip on the lights? Should I wait until they pop, or go ahead and start the cycle? I am using 400w MH for Veg and HPS for flower

Feel free to follow along in my journal (link in sig) It's my first real grow and I'll probably need a lot of help. lol

:thumb:

I will be odd man out,I dont put them into the dark

there is no dark period outside,seed in the ground mother nature takes over,same thing I do inside

no need to bring out the big guns(400wt) use a small cfl for the first week or so.save some money

Right now I have a 400w MH with cooling tube about 30cm away on 50%. I also have a fan blowing between the light and the tops of the peats.

That might dry up the soil to quickly as i'm not sure what you mean by peat ?

Whether that be a peat/coco coir pellet or a small pot etc i'm not sure ?

So i may use caution with what ya mention...

CFL 6500k work pretty well for seed germination, with myself using one & stick on veg time lighting with seeds in soil/compost underneath letting them get on with it... just keep soil/compost moist for good germination.

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I will leave the lights on and just let it ride. I don't have the funds to go buy cfl's right now, but I will consider them for future germinating. I have since put a dome over them which has helped keep them from drying out. My temps are staying between 73-80 with lights off/on and humidity is solid at 45%

@Fuzzy Duck - I used peat pellets to start them in after soaking the seed for 24 hours. Is this method not typically a good route to go? I see a lot of people using the paper towel method, but I dont trust myself to handle a seed with the tap root exposed.

The seeds have been in soil for almost 48 hours now, after being soaked for 24, any clue as to when I should see them sprout?

I personally like to presoak them in a napkin and when they pop then i put them in the medium. If your growing indoors, its a must to do it this way for a couple reasons.
1. You have complete control and thats what growing indoors in all about. You see when they pop and know its time to plant.
2. You dont waste a medium if they dont pop.
3. I dont like sitting around waiting for them to come out of the medium, i like knowing it is already growing and its now up to me to continue its life.

But since they are already planted, I would leave it dark. When I presoak, they are in a plastic bag with a moist napkin folded over them sealed up and put in a dark cool spot. In about 3-7 days they will sprout, sometimes longer if they are older or have been stored in a cold area like fridge or freezer.

Light could dry up medium too

@Fuzzy Duck - I used peat pellets to start them in after soaking the seed for 24 hours. Is this method not typically a good route to go? I see a lot of people using the paper towel method, but I dont trust myself to handle a seed with the tap root exposed.

The seeds have been in soil for almost 48 hours now, after being soaked for 24, any clue as to when I should see them sprout?

Er ye, i would not worry about standard germination methods used ? its more about what works for you or easy for you !

I use plugs/pellets myself if that helps put ya mind at rest, i think the ones i use are coco coir based from what i remember ? but hardly makes a impact in the short term before going into a soil/compost mix !

I'll try 'n' find some pic's for ya... some of this will be clones & seeds started in em :Namaste:

That is root riot stuff from the early days.

008571.JPG
007621.JPG

I think these are coir based pellets or possible peat ?

003926.JPG
001976.JPG
0011039.JPG
PICT000843.JPG

I hope some that gives a little peace in ya heart :Namaste:

Right,, on to some other stuff...

Germination you could expect 24 to 72 hours for real good seeds that is is 1 to 3 days, you could wait longer tho ?

I've waited 7 to 8 days for one strain tho, that i've grown ! some may take longer ?

Any think after after 3 weeks i take as a loss & if gone by a direct seed bank, i may ask for a refund... bit 50/50 with on mass seed bank who use's lots of breeders etc but a direct seed bank a breeder of said strain then i suspect a refund after a few questions asked on germination methods !

Er ye, i would not worry about standard germination methods used ? its more about what works for you or easy for you !

I use plugs/pellets myself if that helps put ya mind at rest, i think the ones i use are coco coir based from what i remember ? but hardly makes a impact in the short term before going into a soil/compost mix !

I'll try 'n' find some pic's for ya... some of this will be clones & seeds started in em :Namaste:

That is root riot stuff from the early days.

008571.JPG
007621.JPG

I think these are coir based pellets or possible peat ?

003926.JPG
001976.JPG
0011039.JPG
PICT000843.JPG

I hope some that gives a little peace in ya heart :Namaste:

Right,, on to some other stuff...

Germination you could expect 24 to 72 hours for real good seeds that is is 1 to 3 days, you could wait longer tho ?

I've waited 7 to 8 days for one strain tho, that i've grown ! some may take longer ?

Any think after after 3 weeks i take as a loss & if gone by a direct seed bank, i may ask for a refund... bit 50/50 with on mass seed bank who use's lots of breeders etc but a direct seed bank a breeder of said strain then i suspect a refund after a few questions asked on germination methods !

That does ease my mind a lot!! Thank you! My pellets look just like the ones you have in your pics. Not sure if they are coco based or not, but I guess it doesn't matter that much. I'd love to have you follow along in my journal man. I could def use your assistance during this grow. :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom