When would you say THC is at its strongest?

AgedMaster

When would u say thc is at its strongest

royal queen seeds say this

This is where a little cannabis anatomy can go a long way. Becoming acquainted with cannabis pistils will help you to identify when it’s time to start snipping flowers. Pistils are hair-like structures upon cannabis flowers that emerge from the calyx and can easily be identified with the naked eye. Pistils contain the reproductive organs of the female cannabis plant and will develop a seed if pollinated by a male. These structures are white early on in the flowering phase and turn to darker colours of red, brown, and orange as the flowers move closer to harvest.

If most of the pistils are still visibly white, then it’s too early to harvest and your plants should be left to mature for a little longer. Growers should wait until at least 50% of pistils have turned darker to ensure near maximal THC levels. Begin trimming flowers when 60–70% of pistils have turned dark for the highest levels of THC. Those growers looking for a more stoning and physical high should wait until 70–90% of pistils have changed colours, as more THC will have converted to CBN at this stage.

and amsterdam genetics say

• Once 40% of the pistils have turned brown, your harvesting window of opportunity opens. The plant contains enough THC to produce a high, but she hasn’t reach her peak yet. At this point, the weed will produce an energetic high;
  • Once 50 to 60% of the pistils turn brown, your cannabis plant is at her best! Her buds are rich in THC (well, THCA to be precise) and this is the perfect time to get that harvest in;
  • Once 80 to 90% of the pistils turn brown, your weed has flowered for too long. Most of the THC has now turned into CBN. This produces an effect, but it will not get you high. CBN has relaxing properties, and it can be used as an analgesic.

I have always chopped at 60% but i see people saying 100% i always get descent weight how much more say percentage yield would i achieve giving extra time

The pistils changing colour is the first & most fore most reason as an indicator to harvest :green_heart:

You can check your trichome development as well... I like lots of cloudy trichomes obviously those require lots orange/brown pistils to happen.

I think I prefer the buzz when harvested a bit early too.
And harvesting early probably prolongs the shelf life a bit.
I pulled a bud out of the jar the other day, the thing was glistening with amber trichomes...
I'm fairly sure that a year ago when it went in the jar, they were cloudy.

Trichomes are a better indicator of when it's time to chop than the hairs. I don't wait for amber as that is for sure an indication that THC is breaking down to CBN and fine if you want more of a 'couch lock' effect but that can be done by decarbing longer if a more sedative effect is desired.

My old Cervantes grow book says that 50% clear and 50% cloudy trichomes is the peak THC time but I try for almost all cloudy with just a few amber. To get lots of amber seems to take another month so I don't even try for amber any more. With power at 30¢+/kwh I'm not wasting all that money to light them up.

90% or more of the pot I grow gets made into oils to be used in various edibles and I do my decarb once all the oil is extracted. That also purges any remaining solvent pretty well too while reducing terpene loss. The worst way to decarb is spreading it out on a cookie sheet. That stank that fills your house is your medicine being cooked off.

:peace:

I think I prefer the buzz when harvested a bit early too.
And harvesting early probably prolongs the shelf life a bit.
I pulled a bud out of the jar the other day, the thing was glistening with amber trichomes...
I'm fairly sure that a year ago when it went in the jar, they were cloudy.

Trichomes age once harvested too so if you want to wait they'll get there. Exposing the buds to sunlight for a while gets them there quicker too. Or a UV light.

A source of UV in the indoor garden producing roughly 4.5% to 6% or 7% of the gross photonic output of the lighting will tend to increase the number of trichomes.

Yes, definitely go by the state of the (heads on the) trichomes, NOT the pistils. And the trichomes on the flowers, not the leaves. First, because the trichomes are where the cannabinoids are and, second, because various things can cause pistils to wither.

Laboratory analysis has shown that the trichome heads (again, the ones on the flowers) have maximum THC(a) content if the bud is harvested when those heads are cloudy/milky (after clear, and before amber).

Trichomes are a better indicator of when it's time to chop than the hairs. I don't wait for amber as that is for sure an indication that THC is breaking down to CBN and fine if you want more of a 'couch lock' effect but that can be done by decarbing longer if a more sedative effect is desired.

My old Cervantes grow book says that 50% clear and 50% cloudy trichomes is the peak THC time but I try for almost all cloudy with just a few amber. To get lots of amber seems to take another month so I don't even try for amber any more. With power at 30¢+/kwh I'm not wasting all that money to light them up.

90% or more of the pot I grow gets made into oils to be used in various edibles and I do my decarb once all the oil is extracted. That also purges any remaining solvent pretty well too while reducing terpene loss. The worst way to decarb is spreading it out on a cookie sheet. That stank that fills your house is your medicine being cooked off.

Hi pal im gona order a jewlers loop. this one will be slightly early as i have a problem thanks for advise

A source of UV in the indoor garden producing roughly 4.5% to 6% or 7% of the gross photonic output of the lighting will tend to increase the number of trichomes.

Yes, definitely go by the state of the (heads on the) trichomes, NOT the pistils. And the trichomes on the flowers, not the leaves. First, because the trichomes are where the cannabinoids are and, second, because various things can cause pistils to wither.

Laboratory analysis has shown that the trichome heads (again, the ones on the flowers) have maximum THC(a) content if the bud is harvested when those heads are cloudy/milky (after clear, and before amber).
Hi pal i watched a mad scientist on youtube testing thc with some crazy looking equipment he says pretty much what your saying spot on pal thanks

Hi pal im gona order a jewlers loop. this one will be slightly early as i have a problem thanks for advise

I have a 10X loupe that is good enough to make out the general condition of the trichs but also have an old 30X Radio Shack 30X scope that gets a good enough look to count ambers and clearly see the heads. A USB scope to 1000X with a wifi unit so I can capture the pics on my phone with the scope mounted on a tripod. No way you can get a clear shot holding those things by hand at high mag. I had to grind the round base of the scope to fit the tripod mount. You'd think it would come with a base that threaded onto a regular tripod. So flimsy it sux for desktop use.

ScopeBaseOnTripod.jpg

ScopeOnTripod01.jpg

The big red one at the top is great for bug hunting. Using it for thrips now and damn near have them beat. Little 8X magnifier pops out the back of the 30X.

Magnify0.JPG

The mite egg is reflecting the tiny LED lights around the scope lens. Slightly out of focus.

MitesWithEgga.jpg

Caterpillar eggs I found on one of my outside girls last year. Watching out for them this year!

WeirdBugEggs160721A.jpg

I have a 10X loupe that is good enough to make out the general condition of the trichs but also have an old 30X Radio Shack 30X scope that gets a good enough look to count ambers and clearly see the heads. A USB scope to 1000X with a wifi unit so I can capture the pics on my phone with the scope mounted on a tripod. No way you can get a clear shot holding those things by hand at high mag. I had to grind the round base of the scope to fit the tripod mount. You'd think it would come with a base that threaded onto a regular tripod. So flimsy it sux for desktop use.

ScopeBaseOnTripod.jpg

ScopeOnTripod01.jpg

The big red one at the top is great for bug hunting. Using it for thrips now and damn near have them beat. Little 8X magnifier pops out the back of the 30X.

Magnify0.JPG

The mite egg is reflecting the tiny LED lights around the scope lens. Slightly out of focus.

MitesWithEgga.jpg

Caterpillar eggs I found on one of my outside girls last year. Watching out for them t
Hi pal thats insane just what i could do with. And those pics wow ive never seen anything like it. Could i use your beautiful eggs pic as profile pic i love it

Hi pal thats insane just what i could do with. And those pics wow ive never seen anything like it. Could i use your beautiful eggs pic as profile pic i love it

Go for it. I'll probably get pics of a new batch of eggs this year tho we haven't seen many of those little white moths hanging around this year and the ones I think laid those eggs. They look like butterflies but are really moths and go after plants like broccoli and cauliflower mostly. They like Brussels Sprouts too but they can have those and we don't grow them anyhow.

I've been working on taking closeups of different seeds in my collection to show the array of patterns on them but have many irons in the fire so it might take a while yet. :)

These are Double Ought Cherry CBD. Hard as hell to germinate and the 10 I've tried so far didn't sprout but got lots so will try again later.

DoubleOughtCherryCBD.jpg

Did you know, you lose 50% of terps by doing a 48 hour darkness before chop? You gain 1-2% in THC, but lose a whopping 50% of terps. Crazy huh

have you seen a study that states this? Please share... that is a ridiculously high number.
Ok, found it, i was wrong, kinda. Its 43% after 72 hours, but still, shows lost alot,

terp.png

Ok, found it, i was wrong, kinda. Its 43% after 72 hours, but still, shows lost alot,

terp.png
hmmm. I think maybe I have seen this effect. More THC or better smell/flavor... I need to experiment a bit. I have probably not been pulling early enough either since I usually go for 5-10% amber. As always, I have lots yet to learn.

hmmm. I think maybe I have seen this effect. More THC or better smell/flavor... I need to experiment a bit. I have probably not been pulling early enough either since I usually go for 5-10% amber. As always, I have lots yet to learn.
o, for sure Emilya. This run im doing now, Im not doing dark before chop, but 5 days light 24 hrs on, then chop, zero dark, with cold water after coco dry out ( tiny droughting), on day 3 right now, and i can positively tell ya, frost is growing. I like the heady energetic high then the "dang, well there goes the day" effect :thedoubletake:

although, lol, i think im going to be like 15% amber by Saturday target chop day. Reguardless, its going to be some fire bud, i can do without the 1-2% thc gain, just another hit or 3 anyways, LOL..

Be interesting to find the " reveg" threshold too. But i highly doubt 5-6 days will show any ill effects to that situation.

Back
Top Bottom