• 300w

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 120w

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 600w

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

LetTheWarWar

I'm currently looking at growing around 4 plants and maybe some tomatos with them.

Sadly I can't find the measurements of the closest but wider than the length of my arm :p

I'm currently looking at
LED_13.JPG
and this one
LED_21.JPG

I'm also a bit curious if I should go for this 600W one instead
LED_31.JPG

I've already got 3 of the plants growing happily under a Yellow LED ebb and flow system, but they need a bigger place lol.

I'd recommend these: ...
120110.JPG

Many 420Mag members use their lights and are quite happy with them. They have great customer service, too. :thumb:

This is a listing for two 130 watt (real power) panels. I'm guessing your space is 6 sqft or larger, so you really need at least 180+ watts draw power. 200 would be good. 260 would be quite good. :cheesygrinsmiley:

:Namaste:

Darn it! I saw the AU reference and they'd work.

What I don't like about your selection is that they're bottom of the line stuff. I tend to shop the same way, looking for the cheapest, but what usually happens when people start a grow is that they make a mistake in their first lights, and end up wasting that first money. Here on the forum we've seen a lot, so we can maybe get you a better fit for the first light. So instead of talking about specific brands and models, I'll give you some guidelines.

Always find the real wattage - a lot of manufacturers exaggerate to put it politely. Real wattage matters. You need 200+ to properly light your space. I mentioned that model because they're good quality and especially cheap. The big panel you listed would seem to be the best for your space, BUT ... it probably only draws 60 watts. They don't list it but if you check other models that use 1 watt chips you'll see that they usually run them at 10% power. That panel would be a ripoff. I don't know of any reputable sellers using 1 watt chips. Look for panels with 3 watt chips.

You'll probably find that you need to spend twice as much as you were thinking, for LEDs.

We have a nice long informative thread about Mars-Hydro brand lights on the forum - might be worth taking a look - they're a good value. :cheesygrinsmiley: SmokeSara is their company rep and she's Very good with customer service, usually online during your days. You should ask her if they ship to NZ.

:thumb:

Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

The "600W" draws about 280 watts compared to the reflector which draws about 180, so better, yes. But the reflector also has a switch to turn off the reds for vegging - plants don't need red in veg, so you can use less power. And the reflector is better quality, too. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Also, keep in mind that more smaller panels are better than one big one - for instance two 48x3 instead of one 96x3. You can spread the light better, and you have more flexibility. Of course, that costs more, too. But that's why I suggested the two 60x5s on the 'bay. They're made by Mars-Hydro and sold on the 'bay under a few other names, and the price is excellent. I bought three of their 100x3s at about $75 each, but they've sold out now, and were replaced with the 60x5s.

Reflector LED Grow Light 96x3w - Mars Hydro (6 dollars to ship to Aussie but 100 for NZ... Lol) Currently trying to decided between this or two of these
120210.JPG
3w LEDSx100. $121.72+Free Shipping. Is King a trusted brand like Mars?

120110.JPG
Also found these... Says it ships to NZ but also says no shipping to NZ.

Also would having toggle leds make much difference other than the power bill?

I've never run across that New King brand, but that panel looks fine to me. I read the whole description and didn't find anything suspect. :thumb:

You get two of those, and you'll do great! :bravo:

The switching option has always been a tough one for me, too. Sure, you can turn off the reds for veg, but you just get less light. It's not like the whole panel becomes blue. So ... dunno ... I don't see a lot of value in it.

I'd recommend these: ...
120110.JPG

Many 420Mag members use their lights and are quite happy with them. They have great customer service, too. :thumb:

This is a listing for two 130 watt (real power) panels. I'm guessing your space is 6 sqft or larger, so you really need at least 180+ watts draw power. 200 would be good. 260 would be quite good. :cheesygrinsmiley:

:Namaste:

Hehehheeh these are lights i just added a thread about......... Sooooo much white - too much wasted usable light?

Back
Top Bottom