Whole plant turning yellow: week 4 flower

Pro mix HP is not soil it is a soilless mix you need to feed nutrients every time you water. It contains no nutrients when I was growing in pro mix not too long ago I always watered to run off.
Dang, HP got me again. To correct what I said before then, 5.9 is an appropriate pH some of the time... but occasionally dip down to 5.5 to take advantage of that edge of the range and the upward drift that you get as the plant uses some of the nutrients.

So looking at your plant @WestCoastKush , I am still very curious if you are adjusting pH correctly, after you add the nutes to the water.

You’re right oldsmokey but also - it’s debatable. Some people do call it soil, especially if they add a bunch of stuff to it. But the main reason for calling it soil as opposed to soilless is that it is PH balanced with lime.

As far as feeding it every time - you don’t need to. Some people do. But it’s totally ok to do water-only once in a while too. I’ve been doing it for years. The nutrients don’t wash through as quickly as they do with something like coco.

Could be risky but stack them perhaps? Drill out holes in bottom & sides and set your container in a bigger container full of soil, the problem is at some point in flower the new root production slows or stops from what I have read.... but IDK.

i ran a Pakistan Valley indica on my first plant and did the regular upcans, start in 20 ounce cup jumped up to a 1 gallon, then got her rootbound as ever vegged for many weeks then popped into 5 gallon bucket. Thought that would be enough but about week 4 of flower the soil petered out and she yellowed up, I cut her 5 gallon bucket in half and removed the bucket halves and placed her in a 16 gallon tub that had soil but was there was a hole that I preformed in the tub to readily accept her 5 gallon rootball. She didn’t flinch and finished great but I won’t take anything to flower with less than 7.5 gallons but prefer 12 or 16 gallons for soil grows.

The tricky part of what I did is cutting the bucket without damaging the roots. I used one of those Dremel vibrating cutting tools since I figured a sawzall would do a lot more root damage.

don’t just run with this idea but let WeaselCracker Emilya & OldSmokey render an opinion too

I transplant whenever it suits me. Like- I don’t worry about ‘shocking’ them or anything like that. It needn’t slow them down much. Roots do continue to grow throughout most of flowering but less so as it goes on, and barely in the last few weeks.

Most would say no. If they were my plants I could go either way - don’t have yours in front of me to judge or even a photo really. Also with fabric pots roots can be more disturbed on an up-pot, so that’s a strike against.

Have you looked at your feeding schedule first and think it’s all good there? Maybe they just need more. A plant can handle being in a pretty small pot and do fine- especially if your style leans more towards hydroponic- which is how I’m doing it in Promix, and how you’ve been doing it.
Personally it makes it easier for me to not have to be around to water every day or two- so I usually keep a larger pot and that’s one main reason I find myself transplanting later in flower.

Also, though I know it’s not ideal and it’s stressful, IME some yellowing now doesn’t necessarily mean your buds aren’t still going to turn out great at the end.

Ahh my bad - didn’t realize grow bags, but read someone here who stacked soft side grow bags, since there is no light on the bottom of a stacked bag and soil below the bag can’t air prune the bottom of your bag when it’s stacked or nested in another lager bag - the roots grow right thru.

Curious about this root thing. I'm guessing it's because he's in flower that he shouldn't up-pot & disturb the roots ?
Just wondering because on my current grow I went from 16 oz. Solo to 2 gal plastic. Next up-pot I planned to go to 5 gal. bags. On final up-pot I planned to cut the 5 gallon bag off & up-pot to 10 gal. Geo - Pot. Wait a week & flip to 12/12.
Is there any issue with cutting the 5 gal. bag for up-pot if still in Veg. ?

———— Conclusion ————

We determined that our problem was more than likely our plants were root bound which was the cause for the plant turning yellow.

In diagnosing that we also discovered a thrips infestation in all 3 rooms. Which sucks but to a degree is infuriatingly manageable.

Then tonight we did a thorough look at everything in our most matured room (week 5) and discovered the entire room had started to hermie on us. We sprayed and plucked the seeds we seen and clearcut any remaining yellow leaves. Unsure if it’s worth letting it mature a bit more so there’s something salvageable or cut out losses.

Not my proudest day but would still like to thank everyone for the advice. Learned a lot but think I’m taking a step back for a while once I figure out if I should save or kill what left.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom