Plants turning yellow at week 5/6 of flowering

Baphomet

Hey everybody!

I'm into week 5/6 flowering and some of my plants have started to turn yellow. I know this is usual for late stage flowering and it usually starts from the bottom and make it's way up. But in this case the whole plants are turning yellow.
I must mention that i had PH problems at veg of the grow and they got stunted.

I'm thinking about giving them a boost of Nitrogen,or maybe even feed them with veg nutes. But before doing so i wanted to ask for your opinion on this as well,i'll post a picture down below.

I'm running 2x HPS 600W in a 300x150x220 space.
Almost forgot - The strain is Northern Lights Auto.
Thanks in advance!
The green plant is for comparing how yellow the first one actually is.
IMG_047839.JPG

No Nitrogen!!!
Read the "how too's" of the site to ask for help and post pictures the right way man. You probably would have had 10 responses by now if you did. I can tell you exactly what the deal is with the plant. Please read a bit, change your picture using the 420 Magazine Uploader and tons will jump in to help.
:welcome::420:

One of my five did the same. If it was nitro def. then I must have had lockout.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Anxious to see what caused it since I have one like it.

420-magazine-mobile1287053206.jpg
hope I am not hijacking this post. Here's my yellow one. I thought I had everything right. People say it's normal to turn yellow. I am not so sure bout that.

Sorry i'm a noob on this forum and this is also my first grow.

I will provide a better picture for you tonight!
I was in a hurry with this cause it raised serious concern,i'll read around.

Fanleaf if you know what's going on with her you could tell me you know :D

Sorry i'm a noob on this forum and this is also my first grow.

I will provide a better picture for you tonight!
I was in a hurry with this cause it raised serious concern,i'll read around.
Fanleaf if you know what's going on with her you could tell me you know :D

Sure will do my best man but I see a good picture in natural light before I confirm what I think it is. Use the 420 Magazine uploader. Heres the how to link. Its quite easy once you do it once.
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

Just to let you know what I think caused mine. I had fungus gnats. I think they ate enough roots to cause my plant to not uptake enough nutrients. Just my suspicion.

With the plant not turning from the bottom up my guess is a few things contributed.
1st I would guess along with some Ph issues late in veg Im guessing a very big part of it is that you switched to flowering nutes too soon in flower. It's quite normal and wanted actually that the plant starves of nitrogen late in flower. That is actually needed for proper Bud development. You want to continue to feed your veg nutes for about 2 weeks after you switch your lighting to 12/12. If you switch nutrients to bloom nutrients too soon you can prematurely starve them of nitrogen. Again, you want your whole plant to turn yellow like that right before Harvest but in your case it looks to be doing it again soon because your buds look very premature yet. When you say 5 to 6 weeks of flowering is that from the time you switch the lights or from the time you seen buds starting to develop?
You don't want your plant to have much nitrogen in late stages of flower because it will hamper Bud development.
It's a little late in the flower cycle to do a big flush because you are going to be doing that very soon before Harvest anyways. I fear a flush at this time will just hamper your plant even more.
I'll continue to wait for some pictures in natural light and for you to let me know how you are counting your weeks of flowering.

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

420-magazine-mobile2080708944.jpg

Do you see how this plant of mine started yellowing at the top?? The whole plant started to Yellow actually but this is what you want to see right before Harvest Like My Cheese plant pictured. That's why it looks to me like you may have started your Bloom nutrients a few weeks too early.

If your plant started to Yellow at the bottom and work its way up then I would say you have lock out or a nutrient deficiency but with it starting at the top tells me it's starting to do it probably more because of the age of the plant.

If you are pretty sure about your pH levels I would say you may as well go ahead and give it a dose of half strength at most veg nutes but I dont know that it will help.

One huge key here is that this is an Autoflower plant and so 5-6 weeks of flowering makes this an old plant really. It really looks to me like this plant is coming to the end of its life. Every auto Ive done and ive done plenty never flowers for 6 weeks.

First of all thank you for the comments on this,appreciate it.

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/IMG_048248.JPG

Here is a picture of the same plant in natural light.

I started counting the flowering period when i saw the first white hair come up on the very top of the plant. And this whole time the lights have been running 24/0 without a stop. And like you said there was certainly a PH problem in Veg stage and maybe even in late veg. Though in late veg i flushed all the plants,right before flowering stage. An ever since i've been feeding them with PH corrected to 5.5-5.9. I'm not currently sure about the runoff PH because watering day is either tomorrow or day after that.

I Pretty much switched to bloom nutes when i saw that the plant is flowering. I have read a bit and some people suggest giving them veg nutes throughout the first week or 2 in flower. So if this is the case,what's the best solution for continuing,without damaging them any more? Also you mentioned that the autos shouldn't take this long,may it be because the plants have suffered quite severely through their life cycle?

If the plant is nearly done,and it should be - Most of the plants still have white hair,only a couple hair have changed color at this stage..

First of all thank you for the comments on this,appreciate it.

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/IMG_048248.JPG

Here is a picture of the same plant in natural light.

I started counting the flowering period when i saw the first white hair come up on the very top of the plant. And this whole time the lights have been running 24/0 without a stop. And like you said there was certainly a PH problem in Veg stage and maybe even in late veg. Though in late veg i flushed all the plants,right before flowering stage. An ever since i've been feeding them with PH corrected to 5.5-5.9. I'm not currently sure about the runoff PH because watering day is either tomorrow or day after that.

I Pretty much switched to bloom nutes when i saw that the plant is flowering. I have read a bit and some people suggest giving them veg nutes throughout the first week or 2 in flower. So if this is the case,what's the best solution for continuing,without damaging them any more? Also you mentioned that the autos shouldn't take this long,may it be because the plants have suffered quite severely through their life cycle?

If the plant is nearly done,and it should be - Most of the plants still have white hair,only a couple hair have changed color at this stage..
Yeah, the first 2 weeks of flower is the stretch period. This is when they grow a ton in a short time. Hormones start to change during that time too. Usually at that time its new growth will be a lighter green such as this plant of mine on the left. Veg nutes are a must in that stage.
420-magazine-mobile195114608.jpg

Your buds look very premature for being so old. I hate advising this but I WOULD give her 1/2 strength veg nutes once and give her 3-4 days to see how she reacts. At this point it wont hurt.

Autos are great and horrible for new growers. For my own reasons I HATE 24/0 light schedules with autos. It always leads to issues. I always get 4-6 dry ounces off autos in 18/6 and lower yields in 20/4 or 24/0.

The downfall of autos for new growers is that the plant is on a set life schedule and not yours. Any mistakes are unforgiven. With photo plants we can take time and if there are issues in veg we can wait to flower until all is fixed.

My gut tells me your buds are done growing and will amber up just the size they are. I hope Im wrong but I dont think so.

Hey man, its your first one right? You will get some smokable bud from her which is more than most can say on their first grow..
Problem is shes getting too old to do much more growing.

Whats your grow medium??? 5.5-5.9 is no good at all for soil. 5.5 is even low for promix. If your in soil you need to be 6.2-6.8
Promix/soiless 5.8-6.2

Thanks for the reply again,
I'll give them veg nutes as you advised, tomorrow!

I'm using a canna coco soilless mix, the reason why i have been fixing the PH so low is cause the runoff was always like 7 or above when i fed them with 6.3

Yeah,i wouldn't have them under 24/0 but under the circumstances it wasn't possible to start with a different schedule.

Man you got me all worried now,i got 20 of these auto's in the same stage and they're all starting to look like that one!

Should i be worried about what the runoff PH is?

Thanks for the reply again,

Should i be worried about what the runoff PH is?

uhhh. yes and no lol. Not to complicate it but that's the answer. While I'm not a coco grower (I grow in Promix-hp) I do know that coco acts kind of like a filter. It will trap cations in and release other stuff so your runoff numbers don't tell you a whole lot really. My opinion is not to feed at 5.5 thinking your bringing the pH of the medium down because your not. coco is really pH stable from what I gather. I would continue right at 5.9'ish.
The better way to test your medium will actually be a slurry test in your case. I think you are seeing your left over nutes and what the coco is releasing in your pH test.
Check into a pH slurry tester. They are really cheap and kinda cheezy but it will better tell you in your case.
Another thing to look at is to see if your nutes contain Iron? Your plant may be showing the yellowing due to Iron as well and canna coco products have zero. I think like 10ppm Iron is right but I'm not sure. Look for FE for Chelated Iron.

Back
Top Bottom