Why is my bud so weightless and dry?

Rimas

420 Member
Hi guys, my first grow, special Kush #1. Used a viparspectra 450w, i grew 4 plants in coco and used coco fertilisers... after drying for a week i started the dry trimming and the bud was very dry and crumbling. I have jarred it and put a peace of lettuce in a jar for 12 hours and it became wetter and consistent, but from the 4 plants i have 5 liters of weed but it hardly weights anything, not even 200 grams... any advice please????

Hi guys, my first grow, special Kush #1. Used a viparspectra 450w, i grew 4 plants in coco and used coco fertilisers... after drying for a week i started the dry trimming and the bud was very dry and crumbling. I have jarred it and put a peace of lettuce in a jar for 12 hours and it became wetter and consistent, but from the 4 plants i have 5 liters of weed but it hardly weights anything, not even 200 grams... any advice please????
Sounds over dried my friend. You needa dry until the branches have a little break noise when you snap it but doesnt sever completely thats when you need to jar ot up. How dense your bud is also affects weight a looooot. Ive had a ounce of silver haze a few weeks ago that looked like 3 ounces lol

You probably dried them too long which is the reason for the crumbling - I usually do 4-5 days, then jar them. The reason for the airy buds and lack of weight is due to poor lighting. Your viparspectra 450w only pulls 200 actual watts - not near enough light for 4 plants - you should have had 3 of those lights.

If you want big yield go with hps, 600w it is what it is and pulls 600w from the wall, i never fail to yield less that 20oz from 4 plants every run.

I have never gone with LED as for a fairly decent LED light your going to be paying mega money which for £50 for a hps setup compared to £800-1200 for a decent LED you can gather why iv never converted lol.

You probably dried them too long which is the reason for the crumbling - I usually do 4-5 days, then jar them. The reason for the airy buds and lack of weight is due to poor lighting. Your viparspectra 450w only pulls 200 actual watts - not near enough light for 4 plants - you should have had 3 of those lights.
Ive got 3 plants going with a Viparspectra 600 watt. 260 actual watts. Is that enough?

Ive got 3 plants going with a Viparspectra 600 watt. 260 actual watts. Is that enough?
Probably not. A plant usually needs a 2x2 (4s/f) area unless you're doing SOG. For three plants you have 12s/f and when using Chinese blurples like the Viparspectra, you need approx. 50 watts per sq. ft. for the best results - that would be about 600 actual watts. Hope that helps.

You have 3 plants @ approximately 4 s/f each = 12 s/f x 50 = 600. You didn't mention the size of your grow area - if your tent is only a 2 x 2 then yes 200 watts will be enough. But 3 plants is too many for a 2 x 2 - one plant is plenty unless you plan on doing SOG.
thanks Mick! This is why i love this site. Tganks for the info. I mainly do autos since im a noob. But now have a few grows under my belt im goin to SOG the photos ive got.

I just had a similar problem, I got something like 450g of lightweight buds from a cfl grow. I just gently roll the bigger buds between palms about half way through drying ( about 4 days in for me) to gently close up the air gaps. I just feel like this slows down the dry/cure a bit and has better looking end product. The little spraff
/larfy buds I roll a bit tighter between finger n thumb so they don’t dry out too fast, some are like little marbles at the bottom of my jar.

Also just pressed and fermented about a quarter of the harvest as per Sweet Sue's post, it looks very very promising. Fermented Malawi weed .

Pics are from 5 mins ago as my colas ar ready to jar, before the squish and after.
10DFBE88-138B-467B-9D48-F45E26849900.jpeg
E3B27B06-7FB9-47D0-9AE7-BA64B165237F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom