Why start in small pots?

Usually small pots allow the seedling to grow faster than larger pots do...(roots will fill the cup quickly and seek more water).
You might shock the ling when transplanting but if you are careful, not exposing the root to light , and not disturbing the fragile rootball, it is definitely an easy task...
Personally, I dampen the soil in the cup before transplanting, and use the "forbidden" Superthrive to lessen shock possibility (B1 and Sea kelp extract)..Then I carefully CUT away the Jiffy cup and quickly move it to a 5 gallon fabric pot..99% success rate for me!
Trick is to NOT OVERWATER, tempting as it is...(moisture meter is a cheap and handy addition)
Hope this helps...
3-31-17.jpg

Yes you can just plant in the final size and some people do.
Transplanting doesn't hurt them, but overwatering can be deadly, and it's a pain to water small plants in large pots. It can be done obviously, if you're careful, but I prefer matching them to their pot size. It's possible that roots develop better wth multiple transplants. But mainly I just find it makes so much more sense for watering to keep the pot size matched to the plant size as it goes along.

Usually small pots allow the seedling to grow faster than larger pots do...(roots will fill the cup quickly and seek more water).
You might shock the ling when transplanting but if you are careful, not exposing the root to light , and not disturbing the fragile rootball, it is definitely an easy task...
Personally, I dampen the soil in the cup before transplanting, and use the "forbidden" Superthrive to lessen shock possibility (B1 and Sea kelp extract)..Then I carefully CUT away the Jiffy cup and quickly move it to a 5 gallon fabric pot..99% success rate for me!
Trick is to NOT OVERWATER, tempting as it is...(moisture meter is a cheap and handy addition)
Hope this helps...

Thanks Buzz thats clarified it up for me :)

Yes you can just plant in the final size and some people do.
Transplanting doesn't hurt them, but overwatering can be deadly, and it's a pain to water small plants in large pots. It can be done obviously, if you're careful, but I prefer matching them to their pot size. It's possible that roots develop better wth multiple transplants. But mainly I just find it makes so much more sense for watering to keep the pot size matched to the plant size as it goes along.

Thanks Weasle much appreciated, yeh I'm scared i will over water them. I might look into a moisture meter. Cheers

You can start out in a bigger pot 3 gallon or 5 gallon depends on what your choice is for the last pot to use to flower in...

But... if you do make sure to only water about 2 inches away from the Stock of the plant in a circle Slowly till you get run off... Slowly means slow do not drown the area..

It will grow slower until the roots gain a hold in the pot and then...once it does that baby will flourish...

You can start out in a bigger pot 3 gallon or 5 gallon depends on what your choice is for the last pot to use to flower in...

But... if you do make sure to only water about 2 inches away from the Stock of the plant in a circle Slowly till you get run off... Slowly means slow do not drown the area..

It will grow slower until the roots gain a hold in the pot and then...once it does that baby will flourish...

Thanks Xobe - So theres arguments for and against i guess? Im going to probably start my plants off (once developing, 2+ weeks) at 1L of water maybe every 3 days or so dependant on soil moisture, not sure how much a gallon equates too though? From memory its about 4 or so litres... Ill double check this, anyway I'm running 18L pots they are a good size and came with the tent combo

Back
Top Bottom