Will anything bad happen if you use a little more nutrients then suggested on bottle?

popolino77

My plants are exactly 15 days old above soil and they are the size of 7 day old plants, today i used fox farms big bloom for the first time, on the bottle it suggests you use 1 tablespoon for gallon gor seedlingd , i used a half teaspoon for a pint of water because it was the smallest spoon i had, did i put to much nutrients and are my plants going to die or will they just not benefit as much ? I think the amount of nutrient i used comes to around 134% strength of the suggested amount on the bottle

Re: Will anything bad happen if you use a little more nutrients then suggested on bot

3 teaspoons = 1 tbs

1/2 tsp per liter if added to a gallon would be 2 1/2 tsp so its under strength by 1/2 of a tsp

I would not add anymore nutrients then you have already until the plant is 8 or 10 inches tall.
The soil will have food and you added nutrients so its good for a month

Give at much light as you can , CFL's etc etc. Usually its lack of light that causes slow growth not lack of nutrients.

Re: Will anything bad happen if you use a little more nutrients then suggested on bot

3 teaspoons = 1 tbs

1/2 tsp per liter if added to a gallon would be 2 1/4 tsp so its under strength by 3/4 of a tsp

I would not add anymore nutrients then you have already until the plant is 8 or 10 inches tall.
The soil will have food and you added nutrients so its good for a month.

Give at much light as you can , CFL's etc etc. Usually its lack of light that causes slow growth not lack of nutrients.

But i used 1 pint of water 16oz not 1 gallon, if i did my math correctly i gave it 134% strength, big bloom is 100% organic is it even possible that it can burn your plants ?

But i used 1 pint of water 16oz not 1 gallon, if i did my math correctly i gave it 134% strength, big bloom is 100% organic is it even possible that it can burn your plants ?

oh yes... you can burn your plants with pure organics... mine burned a little bit at first just transplanting them into a very hot fresh soil/compost mix.

Be careful... new plants don't need nutrients. You must have had someone tell you that nutrients were considered to be food. Think of them instead as vitamins. The food is in the soil.

Sense Emilya

oh yes... you can burn your plants with pure organics... mine burned a little bit at first just transplanting them into a very hot fresh soil/compost mix.

Be careful... new plants don't need nutrients. You must have had someone tell you that nutrients were considered to be food. Think of them instead as vitamins. The food is in the soil.

Sense Emilya

The growth of my plants pretty much stopped after the first 3 or 4 days the reason i gave my plants big bloom is because it also act's like a stress reliever for plants i hopeing it will undo my plants stunted growth,

The growth of my plants pretty much stopped after the first 3 or 4 days the reason i gave my plants big bloom is because it also act's like a stress reliever for plants i hopeing it will undo my plants stunted growth,

Don't think of nutrients as band aids... also don't assume that just because you can't see any growth, that it isn't happening below the surface or in other subtle places that you can not see. Also, watering problems will stunt growth as you can force roots to slow down and of course when that happens, nutrition stops too.

Over and over we advise that young plants do not need nutes and that adding nutes can cause big problems. If this was not sound advice, those of us who have been advising new growers for years would stop giving it.

Not to harp on you... but be cautious of the claims that you find on the sides of bottles. Stress relievers in some situations can be killers in another. Fancy words however can entice people to buy and use products. Live and learn, you will get better at this each grow that you get through.

Sense

I'm afraid when you keep adding things to your little ones you may be causing problems - not fixing them.
My motto is, don't add something without knowing why. If you aren't sure of the problem, throwing various things at it rarely fixes it. Usually it makes things worse.

Pee is organic. Chicken poop is organic. Both can burn the heck out of plants - especially babies.

Patience please. Every addition or change takes time to make a difference. We're talking about a two week old baby here.

My mistake I thought you said Liter not pint.. 8 pints in a gallon yup you over did it.

Don't think of nutrients as band aids... also don't assume that just because you can't see any growth, that it isn't happening below the surface or in other subtle places that you can not see. Also, watering problems will stunt growth as you can force roots to slow down and of course when that happens, nutrition stops too.

Over and over we advise that young plants do not need nutes and that adding nutes can cause big problems. If this was not sound advice, those of us who have been advising new growers for years would stop giving it.

Not to harp on you... but be cautious of the claims that you find on the sides of bottles. Stress relievers in some situations can be killers in another. Fancy words however can entice people to buy and use products. Live and learn, you will get better at this each grow that you get through.

Sense
I'm not going to give my plants anymore nutrients untill i see they grew significantly. I am going to buy a advanced platnum 300w led grow light if i can get a refund for the galaxyhydro 300w led light i got now from Amazon, the advanced platnum cost more then double the amount the galaxyhydro cost. do you think it is worth the investment ?

I'm not going to give my plants anymore nutrients untill i see they grew significantly. I am going to buy a advanced platnum 300w led grow light if i can get a refund for the galaxyhydro 300w led light i got now from Amazon, the advanced platnum cost more then double the amount the galaxyhydro cost. do you think it is worth the investment ?

I think you are onto something with the nutes... I too look forward to seeing what happens.

as far as LED lights go, I know next to nothing about brands. I hope someone else can come in to discuss this with you.

:rofl:
apparently we both have the same eye doctor.
I have the fox Farm feeding schedule right in front of me and it says teaspoons not tablespoons. I see I am not the only one who ever made that mistake.

Jokes on me
it suggests 6 teaspoons per gallon which in fact does equal 1 tablespoon.

I believe there are 8 pints to a gallon so technically you are in the ball park. The actual break down would be 3/4 of a teaspoon per liter.

I never know who we can talk about on the forum and who we cannot discuss when it comes to LED panels.
Personally I would keep the Mars and buy more of them. I can't speak for reliability, but to get more light for your $$$ I think that's your best option. Also, I prefer multiple smaller lights to one larger light. It is easier to get the coverage you want, easier to adjust the height for different plants, and if one craps out on you, it isn't the end of your grow = complete disaster. You can limp along on the others.

And yes I did one day put 6 tablespoon in their feeding instead of teaspoons. Thank GOD I also checked the PPM and was like, holy crap batman why are my PPM's so freaking high. I split the gallon in half and added straight water then checked the ppm again, still way high but getting closer to my target number. took a quart out of each one again and added more water. Once my numbers were in the ball park I went ahead and gave the girls the feed. Never hurts to have a double check when your old and have bad eyes.

I never know who we can talk about on the forum and who we cannot discuss when it comes to LED panels.
Personally I would keep the Mars and buy more of them. I can't speak for reliability, but to get more light for your $$$ I think that's your best option. Also, I prefer multiple smaller lights to one larger light. It is easier to get the coverage you want, easier to adjust the height for different plants, and if one craps out on you, it isn't the end of your grow = complete disaster. You can limp along on the others.
I know that sentiment, and another buzz word you will want to avoid is the A word. Best to just say "online" I got a little friendly reminder once for using the E word instead of saying "online"

Gets a bit confusing I know, but the more you do it the easier it gets

Back
Top Bottom