With Canada's 4 plant limit what's the best approach staying within the new law?

Kip22

I've been tossing around ideas on the 4 plant limit for best yield, constant, supply, make seed, etc.

The way the law is written its 4 period so keeping a mother plant doesn't make much sense because now u are down to 3.

I'm thinking just planting auto's a few weeks apart might be the best approach for constant supply but the yields and potency are generally lower for any strains auto variety. Also auto seed is expensive so you'd have to make your own seed partially sacrificing a plant. Another downside is you would be stuck with the same strain unless u wanna spend some more time and make more seed.

I like the ease of using pro mix but hydro has some big advantages for yields and time.

Option B is just to say fuck it and do what I want but I don't plan to be the guy that gets pinched first with six plants and find out how its gonna go down.

Thoughts?

I've been tossing around ideas on the 4 plant limit for best yield, constant, supply, make seed, etc.

The way the law is written its 4 period so keeping a mother plant doesn't make much sense because now u are down to 3.

I'm thinking just planting auto's a few weeks apart might be the best approach for constant supply but the yields and potency are generally lower for any strains auto variety. Also auto seed is expensive so you'd have to make your own seed partially sacrificing a plant. Another downside is you would be stuck with the same strain unless u wanna spend some more time and make more seed.

I like the ease of using pro mix but hydro has some big advantages for yields and time.

Option B is just to say fuck it and do what I want but I don't plan to be the guy that gets pinched first with six plants and find out how its gonna go down.

Thoughts?
I know myself if I get a house in the country I will do 4 plants in 250gal pots. But that is only a option if you live in country or it will get robbed. If you do 3 plants that size and keep a mother your legal and can harvest up to 60lbs of ganja. If I stay in town I’m just going to grow what I want because cops will never have a reason to go in my place.

In the end most people will just grow more plants and hope not to get caught as Dirtdemon suggested. Probably wouldn't be a problem with just a extra plant or 2. If you go much bigger then that it will look like a production thing and get you in real trouble. If it was me I would go indoor with 2 in flower 2 in Veg. Then grow them in at least 3 gallon pots 5 gallon would be even better. As with anything shit happens and plants can be lost. Easier to recover indoors then it is with 1 season outdoors. Seeds will still be a problem you will have to solve. With legalization clones and seeds should be more available.
Something else to think about. Find someone with a green thumb that does not smoke. They could keep mother plants. This way 1 person could have 4 mothers and supply clones to others as needed.

Four plants total or in flower? In Maine, they make the distinction.

I run autos and photos in the summer (sunlight) which allows me to harvest the autos before the photos flower.

I live "in the country" so I am able to grow larger plants in 45-gallon pots....250 gallon is HUGE! You can get a proper tree from a 100 gallon pot and good soil. Both plants below are in 30-gallon pots...I will likely get almost a pound from each when they are done in October. You don't have to grow in huge pots to get big plants...and my advice is grow bigger plants...:cool:

I have been experimenting with the 4 plants in anticipation for the Canadian law to come into effect. I am leaning towards using feminized seeds. 4 plants at a time can grow a lot of weed. More than you typically need for personal use. Start giving it away or making concentrates and you may have issues. My first two grows didn’t yield as much as most folks but over time it will increases.

The other option of keeping a mother and growing out 3 plants seems ok at face value but the work involved makes it not worth it to me. To others I am sure it’s a non-issue.

Growing auto flowers in stages could work well but the quality and quantity may be a little less than you want. However the improvement in genetics is real and worth considering.

Going over the plant limit is much like going over the speed limit. We know it’s against the law but people do it anyway. What bugs me is when people get caught or have to pay the consequences they whine and bitch about it. If you kill someone speeding then you deserve to go to jail. If you get caught with 20 plants then you deserve to be ticketed or fined or even put in jail. If you are good with that then by all means grow multiple plants. Using regular seeds will be challenging. I will take the risk, plant a bunch of regular seeds, and keep only the best 4 females.

I have been experimenting with the 4 plants in anticipation for the Canadian law to come into effect. I am leaning towards using feminized seeds. 4 plants at a time can grow a lot of weed. More than you typically need for personal use. Start giving it away or making concentrates and you may have issues. My first two grows didn’t yield as much as most folks but over time it will increases.

The other option of keeping a mother and growing out 3 plants seems ok at face value but the work involved makes it not worth it to me. To others I am sure it’s a non-issue.

Growing auto flowers in stages could work well but the quality and quantity may be a little less than you want. However the improvement in genetics is real and worth considering.

Going over the plant limit is much like going over the speed limit. We know it’s against the law but people do it anyway. What bugs me is when people get caught or have to pay the consequences they whine and bitch about it. If you kill someone speeding then you deserve to go to jail. If you get caught with 20 plants then you deserve to be ticketed or fined or even put in jail. If you are good with that then by all means grow multiple plants. Using regular seeds will be challenging. I will take the risk, plant a bunch of regular seeds, and keep only the best 4 females.
What is the specific wording of the law in regard to the number/type of plants?

I see no differentiation being made. Any plant is a cannabis plant
  • Personal growing of cannabis plants – non-medical cannabis
  • 56 An adult must not grow a cannabis plant that is not medical cannabis at a dwelling house unless the following requirements are met:

(a) the adult ordinarily resides at the dwelling house;

(b) no part of the dwelling house

(i) is authorized to operate as a community care facility under a licence issued under the Community Care and Assisted Living Act to provide care programs prescribed by the Child Care Licensing Regulation, B.C. Reg. 332/2007, or

(ii) is used or operated for a prescribed purpose;

(c) no more than 4 cannabis plants are growing at the dwelling house;

(d) the adult is not growing cannabis plants at different dwelling houses at the same time;

(e) if 2 or more adults ordinarily reside at the same dwelling house and none of the adults is authorized under the Cannabis Act(Canada) to grow medical cannabis at the dwelling house, no more than 4 cannabis plants are growing at the dwelling house;

(f) the cannabis plant is not from a seed or plant material that the adult knows is illicit cannabis;

(g) the cannabis plant is not visible from a place described in paragraph (a) of the definition of "public place" by an individual unaided by any device other than a device to correct vision;

(h) any prescribed requirements relating to the adult, cannabis plant or dwelling house.

Deemed contravention
    57 (1) If 2 or more adults ordinarily reside at the same dwelling house at which more than 4 cannabis plants are growing and none of the adults is authorized under the Cannabis Act (Canada) to grow medical cannabis at the dwelling house, each adult is deemed to have contravened section 56 [personal growing].

(2) The deemed contravention referred to in subsection (1) by an adult does not apply if the adult took reasonable steps to prevent the contravention.

Our law allows 6x PER adult, and that is for in flower. Each adult can have 12x "immature" and unlimited seedlings. It is really kind of ridiculous and we joke that the politricksters probably never even read it before it went to vote. Best part is we can grow other people's allotment on our property...and there is no mention of who gets the harvest.

In the end most people will just grow more plants and hope not to get caught as Dirtdemon suggested. Probably wouldn't be a problem with just a extra plant or 2. If you go much bigger then that it will look like a production thing and get you in real trouble. If it was me I would go indoor with 2 in flower 2 in Veg. Then grow them in at least 3 gallon pots 5 gallon would be even better. As with anything shit happens and plants can be lost. Easier to recover indoors then it is with 1 season outdoors. Seeds will still be a problem you will have to solve. With legalization clones and seeds should be more available.
Something else to think about. Find someone with a green thumb that does not smoke. They could keep mother plants. This way 1 person could have 4 mothers and supply clones to others as needed.

I like the idea of 4 mothers at someone else's place, as per the laws honestly i'm thinking (optimistically) that the law will be revised over time its a pretty big undertaking for a country and doing it right of the start is pretty hard. Also is easier to come out with stricter laws and then ease up on them with a common sense approach than it is to come out with lax laws and try and stricter them and have people irate over it. Not saying i agree or disagree with how its being done i'm just happy something is being done personally and change is on its way. lol

If u are a card holder there bigger in Canada. Mine small at 50 indoor or 37 outdoor I have a buddy with 500 plant license. But I got no where to grow so nothing going on.

How will the "4 plant limit" be enforced? Most growers, I assume, will do what they've always done: keep their mouths shut and grow whatever the hell they want. If you keep your mouth shut you never have to worry bout someone showing up at your door to make sure you're in compliance with the law.

If you do plan on playing it safe and sticking to the 4 plant limit, take a couple clones and veg them while also flowering 1-2 plants. Have 2 in bloom and 2 in veg at all times. That way you have a harvest approximately every 60 days while staying fully legal. SCROG em to make sure you don't exceed the height restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom