Working on a new marijuana species 20+ grower

Should this thread be left open for further analysis, or close it for spreading false information?

• Keep open

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Close it

Votes: 17 73.9%

• Total voters
Not sure if he’s a trolling, but feel bad if he does believe in this.
I suspected that he could be trolling from the start but still am not 100% sure.

There is a big difference between specie and strain and not being willing to explain why his plant is a new specie and not a new strain is a problem.

I'm still lost with the "crossing over" and "New Species" thing, you can't get a new species unless you either do some gene splicing or breed it to a non cannabis species (and there are no non cannabis species that will interbreed with cannabis, even hops, which is in the same family). Considering the OP says he's doing guerilla grows I'm doubting he has access to the equipment needed for gene splicing.
We agree on this. It is why I brought up the use of CRISPR and gene editing earlier which he did not reply to.

It is generally accepted that any specie will not cross breed with any other specie even if close. Horses and donkeys are two different specie and it usually takes more than one attempt to get offspring. And, it takes a female horse and male donkey to produce a mule.There is a very good chance that the offspring, the mules, will be sterile and unable to reproduce. With that in mind it would be very hard to cross breed the new specie of Cannabis with any other Cannabis and get viable seeds in a large enough quantities for serious breeding experiments. I figure it could be done but not easily and would involve using 100s of plants and not just a few in a patch of garden hidden from view.

I recognize & will admit my previous posts may sound harsh…. I do hereby offer up my apologies as that was never my intent.
Same here but much of what he brought up did sound like an attempt to troll us. He brought it on himself by not explaining what he was doing. And, not showing that he understood the questions people were asking and just as importantly not answering the basic questions asked.

If someone has a problem with their plant and show us blurry photos someone will soon mention that better pictures are needed. Often we will see new photos in better lighting, better color or better angles before very long. This thread was the first time I came across someone blaming the quality of his or her photos on the staff or people who do not know how to post photos.

Im clapping for you and for your accomplishments but if you here on this page honestly looking for an answers your not going to receive them I gave everyone clues.. if you can't read thats on You...I actually accomplished it with proof and pictures how much more clear does it get ignorance is a bliss you fall into the category of this... I hope you get with your research and chemistry and follow through with your dreams.
This seems a little like the show Catfish!

It is why I brought up the use of CRISPR and gene editing earlier which he did not reply to.
Even with gene splicing it is not normally used to create a new species, it's to insert a specific desirable gene into a currently existing species (GMO) to increase yield, storage length, or pest resistance, etc. It's used in corn to insert a gene that makes the plant immune to the effects of Roundup, so they can spray the field for weeds and not hurt the crop. Tomatoes are also highly manipulated, but they are not a new species

Even with gene splicing it is not normally used to create a new species, it's to insert a specific desirable gene into a currently existing species (GMO) to increase yield, storage length, or pest resistance, etc. It's used in corn to insert a gene that makes the plant immune to the effects of Roundup, so they can spray the field for weeds and not hurt the crop. Tomatoes are also highly manipulated, but they are not a new species
Yes. I mentioned it as a start to understanding genetic manipulation and getting an understanding of some of what would be involved in creating an entirely new specie of plant.

While we are on the topic this might be related. Where the heck do they get the seeds to grow the plants that will produce the "seedless watermelons"?;).

Something else. End of January 2022 the web source, "benzinga.com" published the article titled:
Sinsemilla: Dark Heart Produces The World's First Intrinsically Seedless Cannabis
Copy and paste the name of the article into a search engine and a link should pop up.

Haha I was thinking this when eating seedless grapes yesterday

you guys crack me up…:rofl:

It’s air grown… takes powdered water with no grow media to produce seedless melon seeds. Sprinkle fairy dust twice a week and you‘re good to go.

thanks for that link Wings, crazy stuff.

Can you say ”pollen averse sterile triploid” 3 times real fast??

I will grow some this spring one more time you will see male white pedal flowers and female nugs that are not fully developed which is weird to me but it is smokable with light marijuana smoke...the smoke is like mint cookie marijuana but it's not which is weird.... The bud grow with pedals...this is the last clue to 420magazine...It is not a hermaphrodite....it a different spieces crossover... Two flowers in one...

Here are your final clues from me @420magazine123

Wow yeah just wow. You are officially nominated for Kamala Harris 2023 Word Salad Award.

If you’ve been creating new 4th species of marijuana for years as you claim, I’d hope for more than 1 weak assed, blurry photo of a plant that may or may not resemble or be related to marijuana as proof of your work. That’s a reasonable expectation - no?

It’s best you avoid cannabis altogether but Thorazine, Seraquel and Lithium used in tandem might help, but don’t stop there.… Might I suggest a sturdy white denim evening jacket with extra long tapered sleeves that gather in back to complete the ensemble.

Do the universe a favor son; disconnect from web and see a mental health professional poste haste. (That means right freaking now!) Smokey the Bear sez… Friends don’t let friends drive stupid…

In conclusion and speaking only for myself. Talk is cheap, either put up… or shut up.

Nope on 2nd thought…. just shut up.

I tried, but I tripped on my tongue!
I did not get through it even one time. ;).

If you’ve been creating new 4th species of marijuana for years as you claim,...
I go with Sativa, Indica and Ruderalis as being sub-species and not individual specie. Since they are able to easily cross breed with each other and produce large quantities of seeds under the right growing conditions they are not meeting one of the reasons that they could be separate species, that being that they cannot interbreed easily with viable offspring.

But, the original poster already understands all this and could explain. The way I see it if he realized and then told us that he is in the early stages of developing a new strain or cultivar I am certain this whole conversation would have been something totally different than what it turned into.

Ah well definitely not my finest moment but one can only choke down so much bullshit. That wasnt nice of me to let it devolve so far as to ripping ‘em a new one via personal attack tho…

Anywho troll away measures have been activated

absolutely SmokingWings that’s why talk of a 4th species is so hilarious… but I do think there should be some other sub species designation to delineate THC cultivars from hemp based ones

I did not get through it even one time. ;).

I go with Sativa, Indica and Ruderalis as being sub-species and not individual specie. Since they are able to easily cross breed with each other and produce large quantities of seeds under the right growing conditions they are not meeting one of the reasons that they could be separate species, that being that they cannot interbreed easily with viable offspring.

But, the original poster already understands all this and could explain. The way I see it if he realized and then told us that he is in the early stages of developing a new strain or cultivar I am certain this whole conversation would have been something totally different than what it turned into.
Wise words @SmokingWings
:Namaste:

absolutely SmokingWings that’s why talk of a 4th species is so hilarious… but I do think there should be some other sub species designation to delineate THC cultivars from hemp based ones
After going down the rabbit hole for a little bit Mr Google indicates that Marijuana and Hemp are considered the same plant species. It is the selective breeding of the plant that gives us types or strains with high THC amounts and other types that has very low levels of THC but lots of fibrous plant tissue great for making stuff. Then there is the strains like Charlotte's Web which is very low THC but high CBD and not as useful for making stuff like Hemp is.

It is all one specie but because of selective cross breeding we have seeds for plants that will give us the different qualities we want. Once human beings stop being involved in this cross breeding it would take no more than several years and the plants will start to revert back to one strain with mediocre THC and CBD levels but be great for making rope and string.

I wonder if cannabis strains are part of their collections at the doomsday seed banks? It is beyond fascinating how plants have travelled the globe. I bet you are right- it would go back to industrial ditch weed without cultivation

truth is we don’t know what we don’t know… a plethora of new plants are discovered each year. Below I cherry picked a few blurbs from news.mongabay dotcom

There are about 391,000 species of vascular plants currently known to science, of which about 369,000 species (or 94 percent) are flowering plants, according to a report by the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, in the United Kingdom.

About 2,000 new plant species are discovered or described every year, many of which are already on the verge of extinction.

In 2015, for example, scientists described Gilbertiodendron maximum, a critically endangered giant, heavy tree weighing about 105 metric tons, that is found in the Cameroon-Congolian African rainforest.

Researchers also described Oberholzeria etendekaensis, a succulent shrublet, which is not only a new species but a whole new genus. It is also a rare species, known only from a single locality with 30 individuals in Namibia.

According to the report, Australia, Brazil and China are the top three sources for many of the new species discovered every year. In fact, the report notes that Brazil is home to more seed plants than any other country in the world, and the knowledge of its flora is growing at a “record-breaking” pace.

We share space with nearly 400,000 plant species. But so far, only about 31,000 of these species have at least one documented use. These include uses for food, medicine, recreation, genes, poisons, animal feed, and building material.

… end of paste

Yeah those Rain Forests harbour a plethora of new species and that's just the most well known rainforests in South America, The Congo (both of them) and Australia. God alone knows what they would find in New Guinea and Borneo if it was safe to explore the more remote regions there (they both still have cannibals and head hunters).

I wonder if cannabis strains are part of their collections at the doomsday seed banks? It is beyond fascinating how plants have travelled the globe. I bet you are right- it would go back to industrial ditch weed without cultivation

truth is we don’t know what we don’t know… a plethora of new plants are discovered each year

I cherry picked a few blurbs from news.mongabay dotcom

There are about 391,000 species of vascular plants currently known to science, of which about 369,000 species (or 94 percent) are flowering plants, according to a report by the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, in the United Kingdom.

About 2,000 new plant species are discovered or described every year, many of which are already on the verge of extinction.

In 2015, for example, scientists described Gilbertiodendron maximum, a critically endangered giant, heavy tree weighing about 105 metric tons, that is found in the Cameroon-Congolian African rainforest.

Researchers also described Oberholzeria etendekaensis, a succulent shrublet, which is not only a new species but a whole new genus. It is also a rare species, known only from a single locality with 30 individuals in Namibia.

According to the report, Australia, Brazil and China are the top three sources for many of the new species discovered every year. In fact, the report notes that Brazil is home to more seed plants than any other country in the world, and the knowledge of its flora is growing at a “record-breaking” pace.

We share space with nearly 400,000 plant species. But so far, only about 31,000 of these species have at least one documented use. These include uses for food, medicine, recreation, genes, poisons, animal feed, and building material.

… end of paste
My guess would be yes, probably hemp, for the fiber value. Rope, clothes, paper, etc.

This thread has obviously garnered some attention, and not all of it has been positive. Due to the content of the thread and resulting responses we have initiated a poll of the members to determine the future of the thread.

My words and behavior were/are reprehensible. There’s no excuse for how I handled this situation. I should have refrained from making a personal attack on the OP and reported my own bad conduct promptly…

As the offender I will refrain from voting and take responsibility for my words & actions.

edit to add:

Ok thanks Pat I will defs cast a vote then

not sure if OP is intentionally spreading false info.... only that burden of proof was woefully short.

I had previously read (the pasted info in #114 above) but after re-discovering the “2000 new plants being discovered annually” info I began to refine my thinking. Anything is possible… there are countless discoveries still hidden from mankind

I vote to leave it open even tho it’s humiliating how harshly I responded to the op. Please delete or edit my mess however you see fit.

I apologize to 420 staff, members and the original poster

Back
Top Bottom