Thanks 70's!
Not a competition, but the advantage that I see in this, compared to the pump bucket, is mainly the control you have over the water flow with just one hand. There's also no power involved, if that matters to anyone. The main drawback is the potential for disaster with a 40# bucket up high, and attached to a hose. Pull on that thing the wrong way, and you might just knock yourself out!

My mouth is watering for a 1000w, but I just can't do it right now, especially with summer coming(heat issues?!). I can't hold back any longer on upgrading something, though. I am putting half of my clothes in the basement to make room for a 250w veg in the closet. Time to bust out the Pineapple Express and Purple Haze that I've had in reserve<SauronBlue breaks out in menacing, evil laughter>! I know I said I wasn't gonna use anymore space, but it's okay. It's not like I have a problem or anything. I can quit growing whenever I want.
What?
Why are you looking at the screen like that?
I am NOT addicted to growing bud, so just stop it!
<okay, maybe a little>

By the way, I have this on gas lantern routine, and I plan to keep it that way, so please don't try to talk me out of it unless you have actual experience with GLR, but if anyone thet has done GLR is out there, do I start at seedling, or not until officially in veg, or am I in veg right now? thx

w00t! another convert!

Also, very nice work on the watering system. Is that a Turbo Wand (power washer) handle??

Thx, Jandre! I'm not sure what model this is, because it came in a plain box, and I got no receipt in the store. I can tell you that it is intended for power-spraying(quick connect on end), and there was a shower head with 6 watering modes. I took the big head off, to make the nozzle fit easily through all the bushiness.
Nice idea, to have a sig page. I'm not up there on the tuts yet, but I'll have to use that one. I thought you were a young guy at first, when I saw "Cloning: Mad Simple." Typo? When you start making custom grow boxes out of cardboard and papier mache, you're just showing off! lol I'm dying for a Kreg joiner (Kreg Jig® Master System) to try some really cool DIY boxes, but I'm always leery of buying tv products.

Thx, Jandre! I'm not sure what model this is, because it came in a plain box, and I got no receipt in the store. I can tell you that it is intended for power-spraying(quick connect on end), and there was a shower head with 6 watering modes. I took the big head off, to make the nozzle fit easily through all the bushiness.
Nice idea, to have a sig page. I'm not up there on the tuts yet, but I'll have to use that one. I thought you were a young guy at first, when I saw "Cloning: Mad Simple." Typo? When you start making custom grow boxes out of cardboard and papier mache, you're just showing off! lol I'm dying for a Kreg joiner (Kreg Jig® Master System) to try some really cool DIY boxes, but I'm always leery of buying tv products.

just so you know... that joiner is AWESOME, and very lightweight. perfect for drilling pilots and sinks for those odd angles. And no, that's not a typo. It's so simple it's MAD to try to complicate things. chop it, dip it, stick it, mist it. TADAAH! new plants. I could have gone into much more detail about different methods, stripping, Thiamin(B12) and stuff, but I thought that'd be too much for someone just wanting to learn how to clone. TMI when doing something new can get confusing.

Heheh, thought I was a young guy, then you see my DAUGHTER. I'm just excitable. And actually, I wasn't showing off, this is an actual challenge, because she wanted to test my DIY abilities, and how I play cards I'm dealt. My budget for that box is blown now, went over by 20 bucks, but I'm done buying things for it; just waiting for it all to come in from the rainforest site. Got the can filter in today, so I'll be updating that in a few.

I just noticed that I forgot to answer the question there. GLR all the way from Germ to Flower. Also I forgot if you're using Fluo or HID, but if on Flou, keep it 18" away and gradually lower it so as not to fry the sprouts.

If you're the sprout master, then by all means, expound for us! I had been trying to reproduce the explosive root growth that I saw when I started using Stimpy(my big aero-cloner), but what happened was half accident/half indifference, so I'm not sure what variables caused the explosion vs. the normal droopy roots. Possible factors:
1) the water pressure was too high, and hurt the roots
2) large droplets may have weighed down the roots/ mist may be better
3) humidity/pressure from not opening to look in
4) questionable how much, if any water directly hit the roots
5) experiment with on/off timer?

These are not tested ideas yet, but things I'm thinking of. I'm interested in depriving of nitrogen before next cloning, but I use Blue Planet nutes, and I think the N is mixed in with that, so is there a way to leech it out, or counteract it?

So, I've dropped 4 seeds into the water to pop. 1 each of Purple Haze, Pineapple Express, Nebula, and Auto(groan) AK-47. All were freebies from my White Widow purchase. I have the seeds germinating in a box inside the flower room, as that is the warmest place they'll be safe. I am planning on shooting over to the grow store as soon as they pop, and getting a 250w MH for my closet. It is a tiny little 18"x42" space, but to keep 2 mothers and a cloning tray, I don't expect to need much room. I've eliminated much of the filler from my closet, and raised the pole to about 8ft high, to leave me 5ft useable under the clothes. By my calculations, the 9in that the 2L takes up + ~3ft for the plant's MAX height Leaves me 15in for lighting. The light is 5in deep, so I'm left with an absolute minimum of 10" light clearance above the moms, and much more above the clones. As my girls are topping out at around 2.5ft after stretch, and the moms will be topped anyways, I don't expect a height issue. I'm going 250w because I don't think I need much power to handle this op, and I want to minimize my heat in that space, as I'll have no powered cooling or venting, just an open door. I'm considering relocating a few of the smallest plants from the flower room back to veg, to see if they do better, and to kill time until the moms grow up - maybe keep the WW bloodline going. I'm mainly trying to avoid a long lapse between this grow finishing, and refilling the tent. My smaller plants are suffering from a long distance to the light, so I'd rather hit "reset" than "game over." The Buds are really starting to wrap around the whole stem, and fill in all the gaps. Still no real smell, which is making me start to worry about potency, but I'm hoping there's no issues. I do have a carbon-filter going 24/7, but even when I poke my head in there, it's just a hint of bud smell. The leaves are starting to get frosty, which is keeping me optimistic.
Any idea when, if ever electricity usage becomes questionable to the power company/authorities? Whenever I think of upgrading to more/bigger, I get paranoid about people seeing my usage spike. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Well, here's the pics:
DSCN01504.JPG

DSCN01445.jpg

DSCN01553.jpg

DSCN01434.jpg

DSCN01584.jpg

And this is the kind of baby I'd re-veg. See how low she is to the media? That's just a 2L bottle she's in:
DSCN01563.jpg

Most likely for droopy roots is from having little to no water hitting the roots. The container will have enough moisture to grow roots not enough to have explosion of roots development. Make sure all the spray heads are working in order. They can often get clog. Also turn on the pump and lift each neoprene to see if any water spraying out. You want water spraying out from each clone sites if not extend the pvc and add more spray heads. Experimentation is good, the possible factors list is good to start with.

Very nice they are turning out great. Adjust your white balance to even better pictures!

I was wondering when you were going to say something about that T12!!! :rofl:

hehehe, so was I. I had refrained from it because I knew 12 would mention it. just didn't know it would take THAT long!

Thanks All for the kind words!!

I'm still playing with the camera here and there. The manual is like 250 pages long, so I'm learning a bit at a time. For #'s, there are 16 1st stringers, that are doing really well. The next 16 are doing well, but not nearly as well as the A team. The last group of 12 have 8 that are doing well for their age, and 4 that seem too tiny. I feel that all the plants after the 1st 16 are suffering from starting farther from the light.
Looking back at older posts, I guess things are still progressing well, but looking at them every day makes it hard to see the changes. Any info on whether the lack of odor is a bad sign? It isn't any more dank than when I was in veg. It worries me more for potency, than for yield.
All four of my seeds popped by the time I checked this morning. That makes 24hrs soaking in a bottle cap full of water(each seed separate), then 24hrs of wet paper towels(as wet as they can get without dripping) in a warm(70-90f), dark spot that will hold the humidity. I'll be planting these tonight, before the taproot gets too long.

Here's where I kept the seeds, to keep them warm, but in the dark:
DSCN01594.JPG

I thought raising the seeds off of the floor of the box(roof of the light) was a good idea, so I used a tub of gel. I knew they wouldn't need much time up there, so I wasn't worried too much:
DSCN01615.JPG

Here's the popped seeds:
DSCN01626.JPG

DSCN01668.JPG

EDIT: Although not visible, there's about 4-5 layers of paper towel under the seeds, and on top goes about 3 more layers. I usually just fold 1 or 2 and cut them to fit. The bags in there are to keep the strains in order, and lay outside of the paper towels when the container is closed.

Here's the new setup, with the babies in rockwool cribs. I wanna give them time in a more enclosed space at fisrt, and also no light on the sensitive root, so I decided to just keep them in the same spot for now. I'll check on the 2 seeds with the shorter roots, and will drop them tonight or tomorrow - whenever they grow out enough. I propped the soaking seeds up using some spare neoprene collars, and left the rockwool in a bit of water to soak up over time. When I see the roots start to come to the sides of the cube, I'll drop them in hempy pots. Leaving them soaking for now should speed rooting, because the media would wick away moisture if I put the whole thing in a hempy right now.

So, here's the nursery with zooms for detail on the seed placement:
DSCN01688.JPG

Here's a zoom on the last photo from the previous post. I didn't notice until I was dropping this seed, but the Pineapple Express was kinda fibrous around the middle of the root. It was even more pronounced when I went back to them a few hours after that photo(when I finally dropped them), And at that point it struck me that I didn't notice that on any of the other seeds I've popped. Is this something I've missed, or specific to this strain?
It's hard to see, but the best photo I have:
closeup47.jpg

Thanks All for the kind words!!

I'm still playing with the camera here and there. The manual is like 250 pages long, so I'm learning a bit at a time. For #'s, there are 16 1st stringers, that are doing really well. The next 16 are doing well, but not nearly as well as the A team. The last group of 12 have 8 that are doing well for their age, and 4 that seem too tiny. I feel that all the plants after the 1st 16 are suffering from starting farther from the light.
Looking back at older posts, I guess things are still progressing well, but looking at them every day makes it hard to see the changes. Any info on whether the lack of odor is a bad sign? It isn't any more dank than when I was in veg. It worries me more for potency, than for yield.
All four of my seeds popped by the time I checked this morning. That makes 24hrs soaking in a bottle cap full of water(each seed separate), then 24hrs of wet paper towels(as wet as they can get without dripping) in a warm(70-90f), dark spot that will hold the humidity. I'll be planting these tonight, before the taproot gets too long.

Here's where I kept the seeds, to keep them warm, but in the dark:

I thought raising the seeds off of the floor of the box(roof of the light) was a good idea, so I used a tub of gel. I knew they wouldn't need much time up there, so I wasn't worried too much:

Here's the popped seeds:
DSCN01668.JPG

EDIT: Although not visible, there's about 4-5 layers of paper towel under the seeds, and on top goes about 3 more layers. I usually just fold 1 or 2 and cut them to fit. The bags in there are to keep the strains in order, and lay outside of the paper towels when the container is closed.

Lol! I read "All four of my seeds pooped" and thought you had a germ failure, then I see the bottom picture. hehehe. when I scrolled back up I saw popped.......sorry, just thought it funny

Wow, that is very impressive.
Thanks for sharing.

I found this from your posts about GLR;
And I want to apologize for not following your link long ago
When I initially complained about not seeing a real test study
It was because I couldn't get the link to finish loading so I quit.

Really glad to see that follow through is the only way to get my questions answered.

So I am sorry it took so long to get back here to say to you SauronBlue: great work and inspiration to me to consider hempy.
One day maybe; but right now I am trying to stick with orgainic soil.

Thanks again!

I have 3 of the original 4 seeds dropped into pots. 1 didn't make it through germination, it popped, but then stopped growing, and was going to rot. The three seedlings are in my new closet veg. I have a 250wMH shining on them. Since I have them in coco, I've been feeding them just water so far(my coco mix does have some base nutes built in), and I'll start them on some light nutes this week. I was really upset that my purple haze was growing almost sideways. I was trying to take it in stride, but I can't help how much it was bugging me. I wanted to tie it to a support, but it's so small and weak that I was nervous of damaging it. I threw a stick in there, placed under the "lean", and in a day it actually grew straighter by itself. I want a better (not necesarrily bigger) fan in the Flower room, and move that 6" to the veg. Any opinions on benefits of air circulation for the plants themselves, aside from heat removal? I've heard that wind on the small plants strengthens the stalk for when they get bigger - feedback please?
I've been trying to take some trich pics, I think I'm still 3 weeks out from harvest, as I'm still seeing all clear/milky caps with no amber. Some of the hairs are starting to go orange and curly. I've noticed that I can tell the difference between the White Widow and Wappa strains. WW seems to have more, longer hairs, and the Wappa has more noticeable pods(maybe due to less hairs hiding them) and more crystals. As far as quality; I have been worried about how well my turnout will be, so I clipped a little bud to play with. I clipped a baby WW bud(there's much more WW than W) which was very solid when pinched. I was expecting it to smash down to nothing easily, but I was met with solid resistance, and left with some damn sticky fingers. The smell up close is really beautiful, and aside from the strong cut-grass smell(which I imagine will lessen once the buds are dead and dry), it was the best smelling bud I've even held. Even though the smell isn't very strong, once in my nose, it was all I could smell for a while. I used the nuke-box to get a quick dry(40% power in blasts of 45-60 sec, until dry enough to smoke). The bud was sill amazingly pretty, and if my bud looks anything like this after cure, I will be a VERY happy grower!! As far as smoke; I got a nice bowl of bud about as moist as the freshest herbs I've bought, so I guess the dry was adequate (not sure as I've never done it before). I didn't like the taste(but I was still pumping nutes into this sample until day of clipping), and any effect was short-lived and left me with a bit of a headache. I did, however, get a very promising rush as I smoked, it just went away quickly. Any advice on how to interpret these results?
I feel like I've lost some power over my grow. During veg I can see what's happening easily, and my actions result in clear results. Right now I'm not seeing much externally, and that's why I'm not sure what to do. Buds definitely do not develop as fast as limbs, so after months of anticipation, this calm before the storm of clipping has got me worse than a kid on Christmas Eve. What am I gonna get??!!?? I'm really hoping I didn't do all this to grow some mexican-press bud.

Ok, so here is the progression of the seeds; it went pretty normal, but the Auto AK decide to go sideways for some reason, so I performed surgery. I left a plant start to grow like this before, and it ended up dying when the stem got too thin and dry to keep the leaves connected to the roots:
DSCN01846.jpg

In order to stop this problem before it got too bad, I decided to cut the rockwool cube in half. I laid the root "ribbon" along the open face, like making a sandwich. The point is for that weak spot that could never support the plant, to become roots, while the stem above gets a second chance to grow thick and strong:
DSCN01865.jpg

I left just a tip above the surface to keep it from having to push back out:
DSCN01875.jpg

Then a twist-tie to keep it from flopping open unexpectedly:
DSCN01894.jpg

Now it looks like all the rest, so her friends at school don't make fun :)
DSCN01905.jpg

She quickly recovered much straighter. In this pic, you can also see how I leave a drop of water on the seed husk to help it fall off faster by staying moist:
DSCN01932.jpg

Once the roots started popping out, I developed an issue with the Purple Haze leaning:
DSCN02323.jpg

DSCN02363.jpg

DSCN02342.jpg

I thought it would be more of an issue, since she was like this for a few days, but I guess she just needed a hand. I gave her a leaning post(not attached to the plant, just put in the way to keep her from falling over), and she stood up on her own within a few hours, and is now not even touching the stick:
DSCN02462.jpg

By the way, I took the twist tie off before dropping the cube into it's home. I doubt the tiny amount of plastic-coated metal would cause much of an issue, but when in doubt I like to play it safe.

Here I show what I believe to be the two different strains in my grow right now. Wappa, with more crystals and more discernible pod shaped growths:
DSCN02496.JPG

And White Widow, with more long, white hairs and more robust growth:
DSCN02505.JPG

My plants with a 1pt(16.9oz) bottle of water for size reference:
DSCN02173.jpg

DSCN02183.jpg

Out of dozens of trichome pics, here are the best I had(are these things are amazingly frustrating to take or is it just me?):
DSCN02197.jpg

DSCN02203.jpg

DSCN02213.jpg

DSCN02244.jpg

DSCN02527.JPG

DSCN02586.JPG

On a last note, I have some lightening on some of the fan leaves of the bigger plants, not yellow, but lighter all-over than before. My issue is with this weird yellowing on some of the medium plants. It started on one plant, just one little lefaf section at a time, and I didn't think much of it. now I'm seeing the same thing on a couple new plants in different places in the tent. Are they reacting to the strong nutes? Is this even a cause for concern?
Here are week old pics of the 1st affected:
DSCN02287.jpg

Then the newly affected:
DSCN02296.jpg

DSCN02305.jpg

This is a slow-moving condition, that's why it didn't spark my concern until other plants started looking similar. There are no visible signs of bugs, as you can see from today's pics of patient zero from the front, and behind the leaves in a couple spots:
DSCN02603.JPG

DSCN02613.JPG

DSCN02624.JPG

I really appreciate ANY comments, or even views, but do any of the veterans out there have any advice? I'm trying to figure out when to start flushing and preparing to harvest. I'm thinking of doing a 2-3 day chemical flush, a 4-5 day water flush, then a week to suck the roots dry before chopping. Not sure if this makes any sense- would love some feedback!!

First, check your pH.

Second, how long since your last medium flush?

If pH has been in range for over a week, and your last medium flush was under 2 weeks ago, from these pics, I see either Mg or K deficiency. Either way, how long till harvest would dictate if you should worry, or just wait it out for The Flush. Under a week, you should just wait. Over 2 weeks, I would flush medium, mix new nutes, and start anew. Maybe try adding and more Bloom. Not much, just 1-2ml per gallon. Some bloom boosters also have Mg and K both in them, so you could also up your bloom booster by 1ml per Gallon.

Thanks for the quick response J2k! I honestly haven't been ph-ing very much. In the beginning, my R/O water and nute mix was always within range, so I stopped checking. I always use the same water and Blue Planet Nutes. If you mean using plain water once a week, then yes, I flush them every Tuesday, and always have. I am trying to figure out how long I have until harvest, but since my trichs are all clear, I'd say more than 2 weeks. I'm about to mix up a feeding right now, and I'll try adding more bloom and booster. I've been putting ~20ml/gal of bloom, and 6ml/gal of booster. I'll add 2ml, and 1ml, respectively.

Back
Top Bottom