Yellow leaves - please help

thank you for your replies. i have been measuring and adjusting the ph during the whole time, i just thought i did something wrong because of what he told me. thank you for your opinions. in the end it is always up to me to decide what to do. i just like having multiple opinions, the best case being professionally and logically explained ones (thanks for the helpfulness emilya ;)).
the discoloration of the leaves did not change for better or worse up until now, but they look overall healthier in my opinion. buds are getting frostier and denser every day also. will update new pictures soonish.
best
I am not looking at the purpling... that is the natural color of the strain coming out and nothing to worry about. What i worry about is the yellowing. That is indicating a problem and pointing to the fact that something is not being supplied in the amounts the plant desires.

You say you have been measuring and adjusting pH. What number are you adjusting it to? Are you giving one pass with nutrients and one pass with plain water, both adjusted to a particular number? I still think I am seeing a pH problem.

i did adjust nute mix every time to 6.2-6.4.... and yes every other time just water. what i did not actually do is adjust the tap water(!), since it has 6.8-6.9 i thought i dont need to do it. you really think that this could be causing the yellowing?

i did adjust nute mix every time to 6.2-6.4.... and yes every other time just water. what i did not actually do is adjust the tap water(!), since it has 6.8-6.9 i thought i dont need to do it. you really think that this could be causing the yellowing?
indeed it could, along with your lack of accuracy. Adjust exactly to 6.3 each time and you will find a much stronger nute uptake with each watering cycle. Also, since the only reason we are adjusting this pH is so that the nutes that are chelated can be available to the plant, it is significant that on your water only pass your water is not within the range. The water only pass is intended to use up nutes that the soil has temporarily captured, so it also has to be in that special range too, or those nutes will be unavailable on that entire water only pass. Theoretically, in a w/f/w/f system, half the time you were not supplying some of the nutes to the plants.

One thing I learned early on is when Em speaks Listen. she knows her stuff and more than willing to help.( a little advice though Don't call nute lockout, Nute Burn she doesn't like that lol)
when closer to harvest you will have leaves turn yellow, Just like the trees in the fall .But that doesn't look like the issue your having it is too uniform :goodluck:

Mmm ol fuzzy always gonna quack on about PH :thumb:

Always seems to be some confusion between hydroponic & soil grown plants along with PH.

Where as hydroponics & PH inert growing mediums require PH corrected nutrient solutions to grow plants do !

Where as soil or compost blend the PH is the essential factor :green_heart:

May we take a moment to look at real life, Mmm most plants including cannabis prefer to grow in a mild acidic range of PH between PH 6.2 - 6.8 where most nutrients are available that is the soil & NOT the nutrients added. (ok we can get the gist of the PH confusion)

In fact in real life plants grow in all sorts of soil types & PH ranges but I may ask when did you last check the PH value of your tomato feed before watering your juicy home grown tom's, Mmm seem to have forgotten feeding the lawn to make it greener... that is granule feed normally, I bet when you watered the grass lawn it was not PH corrected !

Moot point of breaking up decades of bad bro science it could take me another 20 years of banging meh head on the wall...

Really do you think rain magical falls out of the sky PH corrected for out door growers come on :Namaste:

Mmm ol fuzzy always gonna quack on about PH :thumb:

Always seems to be some confusion between hydroponic & soil grown plants along with PH.

Where as hydroponics & PH inert growing mediums require PH corrected nutrient solutions to grow plants do !

Where as soil or compost blend the PH is the essential factor :green_heart:

May we take a moment to look at real life, Mmm most plants including cannabis prefer to grow in a mild acidic range of PH between PH 6.2 - 6.8 where most nutrients are available that is the soil & NOT the nutrients added. (ok we can get the gist of the PH confusion)

In fact in real life plants grow in all sorts of soil types & PH ranges but I may ask when did you last check the PH value of your tomato feed before watering your juicy home grown tom's, Mmm seem to have forgotten feeding the lawn to make it greener... that is granule feed normally, I bet when you watered the grass lawn it was not PH corrected !

Moot point of breaking up decades of bad bro science it could take me another 20 years of banging meh head on the wall...

Really do you think rain magical falls out of the sky PH corrected for out door growers come on :Namaste:
Hi Fuzzy! 2 minor points... and a large one.

1. Nature doesn't use chelated nutrients
  2. Nature isn't growing in closed containers

1. Explain the yellowing

Hi Fuzzy! 2 minor points... and a large one.

1. Nature doesn't use chelated nutrients
  2. Nature isn't growing in closed containers

1. Explain the yellowing

Good point.

I guess when growing in nature it is the natural balance of soil PH which totally matters & which I have always used this chart of soil PH to add some range of understanding of soil PH & nutrient availability.

Not all plants fall into this category !

How ever I would suspect a PH imbalance's which may of been caused by various means unknown to our self's ?

To which the best minds our still pondering over !

Read the title soil PH & not nutrient solution.
But when the soil is saturated with a liquid, the actual pH of the soil is overridden, until the liquid is gone again. That is how the buffer in soil helps us grow inside ... we send the liquid in at the low end, the soil does the work of bringing it up thru all of the range and allowing the plant to access all of the different nutrients.

soil pH is swamped by fluid pH when you water to saturation in a closed container. soil pH becomes inconsequential. This is the big confusion... that soil pH somehow controls things in a closed container... it does not. Outside of a closed container, you are correct... but not here. That chart should be labeled, Ph in soil... not soil pH

ok not to get off topic but let me see if I am getting this right, When I flush a plant with my tap water usually out of the tap is about 7.6 my soil doesn't automatically become PHed at 7.6 becuase 95% or more of the water is just passing thru But when I feed and water at 6.3 the nutes and water stay in the container until it is used by the plant? assuming we start with proper soil like Ocean forest, 5.8 - 6.8 , Phing our feed and water maintain the PH throughout our plants ecosystem ?
is that correct?
Ironicly I was looking at our toms' and peppers planted outside and I thought to myself why dont these plants stress on PH so much God only knows what ph the rain is yet they still thrive ? (Yeah I was smoking some really good Sativa and pondering) :hookah:

That chart should be labeled, Ph in soil... not soil pH

that's what i get out of it as well.

ok not to get off topic but let me see if I am getting this right, When I flush a plant with my tap water usually out of the tap is about 7.6 my soil doesn't automatically become PHed at 7.6 becuase 95% or more of the water is just passing thru But when I feed and water at 6.3 the nutes and water stay in the container until it is used by the plant? assuming we start with proper soil like Ocean forest, 5.8 - 6.8 , Phing our feed and water maintain the PH throughout our plants ecosystem ?
is that correct?
Ironicly I was looking at our toms' and peppers planted outside and I thought to myself why dont these plants stress on PH so much God only knows what ph the rain is yet they still thrive ? (Yeah I was smoking some really Sativa and pondering

confusing wording.

simply - flush ph doesn't matter. your ridding the media of built up nutrients / salts.
feeding ph matters. if you are using nutes then ph.

Oh what a head ache to sort out with the science but own personal experience to try to explain stuff ! Mmm

We all have to learn about growing differently & so no real concept has evolved in general experience of growing cannabis, just a lot hearsay with some with good members are trying to clear up no matter depending on how you view their own ramblings. :green_heart:

Gotta wonder how that might be different if we hadnt spent 70 yrs Learning how bad it was and Hiding from the law. had it not been for these good member ramblings I would still be throwing handfuls of seeds in corn fields. of course back then no one would ever think about selling seeds. In time it will be interesting to see how growing cannabis evolves. Hopefully, I be around to see it lol. Thank God for Good members :thumb:

thank you ev
soil pH is swamped by fluid pH when you water to saturation in a closed container. soil pH becomes inconsequential. This is the big confusion... that soil pH somehow controls things in a closed container... it does not. Outside of a closed container, you are correct... but not here. That chart should be labeled, Ph in soil... not soil pH

thank you emilya for trying to help out. i followed the strictly 6,3 measurement ( also in plain water) and really noticed the change in the plants behaviour. i got great results in the end. dried maybe a day too long but i feel curing will make up for it, jarred since 2 weeks now and looks, feels, smells and smokes great :)

All I can do is explain why pH is important. It will be up to you to decide who is telling you the truth. The soil actually has very little to do with things. Organic soil is simply dirt that has no man made crap mixed in with it. Your typical hardware store potting soil is usually organic. It has no magical properties and may or may not have buffers in it that set the soil to a base pH (dry pH) up near the upper end of the pH range recommended to run soil in. Using an organic soil does not remove the pH requirement when using synthetic nutrients.

What your friend was confusing while trying to relay it to you is that in truly organic grows, where you don't feed the plants bioavailable nutrients, but where you leave that job for the microbes to do, the microbes don't really care much what the pH surrounding them is. The plants and roots really don't care either. So your friend is right, in an organic grow you don't have to worry about the pH. The organic and usually mineralized soil your friend is likely using, it also doesn't care what the pH is and has very little to do with adjusting the pH of your incoming fluids.

The only time we should be concerned with pH is when we are not doing an organic grow, but we are instead feeding our plants with synthetic nutrients. Several of the components in most bottled nutrients are locked into a special bond so that they cant interact with the other minerals in the bottle. To get them to break out of that bond and become available to the plant, they have to be placed into a mix that is between 6.2-6.8 pH. Generally it is recommended to adjust your pH to the bottom of this range, so that immediately all of your nutes are available to the plant. As the plant uses up the acidic nutes, the pH will start to drift upwards towards the pH of the water itself and the base pH of the soil, and as long as the mix stays in this range, all of the nutes are available to the plant.

PH is very important, if you are using nutes that require the pH to be in a certain range. Hydroponic nutes have their range, and soil nutes have their own range that the pH needs to fall between. Your assuming that you don't have a need to adjust the pH of your incoming fluids simply has made a portion of your nutes unavailable for at least part of the watering cycle, and fully explains the problems you are having.
OMG. This explains so much to me. I was adding nuts to organic soil and ended up with nitro burn which required me to flush. I stopped adding nuts completely. Was worried I was starving my plant...LOL! My ph is within 6.5. I just received a gauge to measure that along with moisture and light. I was underwatering.

Back
Top Bottom