Yellow & Pale Green New Leaves - Slight Curling Of Leaves Upwards

EricGreenery

Hello all,

First post:thumb:

Firstly I'd just like to say thank you for all the knowledge I've acquired on this site, there's also some fantastic growers.:bravo:

To my first grow and the (potential) issues that I'm facing:

1. New leaves appear to be yellow/pale green. I have read this could be an Mg issue? And that foliating the plant with some epsom salts would be a good idea?

2. There is also some curling of the leaves (only the razor-typed edges). This is curling upwards.

Some information regarding the setup:

Strain: White Widow Auto Fem x3
Medium: Canna Terra Professional 75% perlite 25% in 2.5Gal smart pots, placed on baking trays for additional air flow through bottom
Nutes: Fox Farm Trio
Water: Filtered, PH'd to 6.3-6.8
RH: 45-60%
Lighting: 300W (60x 5W) LED panel (cheap amazon model I'd imagine) around 8" from the girls but I have decided to extend this to around 14" as of day 15 (today).
Extras: 6" Carbon Filter/Extraction system, passive intake vents, 6" clip fan pointed around 1.5ft away from the girls, giving a gentle breeze
I have a 700w oil radiator in the tent as it gets very chilly here (-2 some nights) and is situated in a garage. The rad is fitted to a heat censored plug that keeps temperatures around 23-24c.

Firstly the girls were germinated in paper towel and then placed in plastic cups until they were around 10 days. They were growing very slowly it seemed so I transplanted them into the 2.5Gal smart pots at that point.

On day 11 I gave the girls their first dose of Big Bloom at 1/4 strength. The girls seemed to enjoy this a lot and I noticed some good growth in the couple of days since. The leaf curling and yellow new growth was already present before the dose of nutes.

Today (Day 15) I also watered them with clear 6.4ph water(filtered) until there was some runoff from the smart pots.

As you will see from the pictures I have decided to LST (Should I even bother LST'ing these autos!?) 2 of them to get some more light to the other nodes as they seem to be growing very slowly. The 2 girls that have received LST are around 3-4" in height, the one showing massive yellowing in the new growth area is only around 1-2" in height.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy growing :thanks:

re: Yellow & Pale Green New Leaves - Slight Curling Of Leaves Upwards

The coloring looks fine to me if they are in fact growing. The new growth typically darkens up after 24-48 hours.

It sounds like you made a good adjustment with the light height. They look watered as well. Give them 48 hours, snap another pic and compare.

/Obi

re: Yellow & Pale Green New Leaves - Slight Curling Of Leaves Upwards

Thanks Obi

I'll give them a couple of days and see how they are getting on. Yes they were watered earlier today. Thank you for the input!

Quick update, still no signs of growth at all. Possibly stumped whilst transplanted? Will just keep watching them until the next feed which will probably be Sunday/Monday. If there's no sign of nute deficiency I will up the dose of Big Bloom to 1/3 maybe 1/2 strength and go from there.

I've only just started transplanting. I used to start seeds in their final pot. I too get a growth slowdown immediately following a transplant. My plants took from 7 to 10 days to get back to vigorous growth.

Go easy on the feeding. If the plants are stunted more food will not help. Nutrients will build up in the soil and may come back to haunt you when the root system finally recovers and explodes into the grow space.

Less is more until they hit their stride.

Cheers,
/Obi

Might be too early for Big Bloom. Correct me if i'm wrong but I think it is a lower N2 nute for use during flower. You might want to go with Grow Big 1st..Good Luck.

Might be too early for Big Bloom. Correct me if i'm wrong but I think it is a lower N2 nute for use during flower. You might want to go with Grow Big 1st..Good Luck.

Hi heart,

I have a feeding schedule supplied by Fox Farm which states to use the Big Bloom from week 2, which I myself found strange, but I found the chart on this forum, and so have used that.

Regarding the growth, I have purchased some Cal-Mag as I have read a lot that new growth showing yellowing/pale green (can be normal) but can also be a cal/mag issue.

Anyway, I gave the plant that had the most yellowing 4ml of Cal/Mag diluted into 2.2l of 6.5ph distilled water. She seemed to like it, so I have continued giving her some foliage sprays with cal/mag in throughout each day. I've also added 2x 125w 5500k bulbs, one on each plant, although these won't be permanent for these plants - they will be used for seedlings so that I can harvest every 35-40 days, instead of 70-80 days (these are autos).

The other plant received 2ml of Cal/Mag diluted into 2.2l of 6.5ph water, as well as 1tsp of Grow Big (FF). This was fed today. Run off was 6.2ph so I will be feeding her around 6.6ph next time to increase the run off ph.

I have started to ponytail the plants which I have found to be extremely useful in opening up new nodes in other people's threads here at 420. I'll be doing this in the morning, and then releasing after around 8 hours, and rotating the pots to face the CFL's from different sides each day.

I think the plants are doing OK. But any other advice would be appreciated. I've attached some pictures for you to look at. They have just been foliage sprayed so that's why they're wet.

PS. If the yellowing doesn't seem to go down, is that one plant hungry for nutes? She has only had 2 tiny capfuls of big bloom since birth. They are both 22 days above soil.

I also understand that I am probably worrying a bit too much, but I don't grow because I am a smack head, I grow because I have chronic pain, and eventually would like to try to grow plants high in CBD for this reason.

Many thanks

Looking good from here. I 'm not a big foliage feeder but many do. I have no real reasons I just don't. As far as worries about growing a healthy plant, We all have that but these things do a pretty good job with very little help and that's part of the joy. I too and growing strains that are a CBD potent and many have a great balance between THC and CBD. I'm amazed at the options out there between Sativa's Indica's and Auto's. I play with them all and give generously to others. Good Luck!!

The biggest improvement I've messed with is adding CO2. Either make your own generator or use a tank of gas or just as easy you can pick up a hunk of dry ice if it's easy to obtain. I throw a chunk in my grow area once a week or so and I find that it really revs up health and growth. Nearly as much as nutes but when they are used together it creates the ultimate environment. If you use dry ice just keep it in a styrofoam cooler or something to slow it's dissipation rate.

Guys I am now worried I might be infested with mites. Regarding that new growth, it's now twisting/deforming. Please see these pictures attached and let me know. Both plants new growth is appearing deformed.

If you can see (bad pictures, sorry) there is some splitting of the newer leaves, they are twisted/deformed and some are curling vigorously inwards.

I have again raised the LED light to around 18" so to eliminate possible heat burn (even though the LED gives off next to no heat) temperature is around 24c with a fan blowing over the plants. I'll also be backing of the Cal/Mag foliar spray I've been applying to the plants, to rule this out as a possible cause.

I have ordered a 100x microscope to check them out closer. I've read you need 400x to see mites but 100x should be able to see the egg clusters that they lay. I'm praying this isn't mites otherwise I am doomed!! I've read they're almost impossible to get rid of!

The biggest improvement I've messed with is adding CO2. Either make your own generator or use a tank of gas or just as easy you can pick up a hunk of dry ice if it's easy to obtain. I throw a chunk in my grow area once a week or so and I find that it really revs up health and growth. Nearly as much as nutes but when they are used together it creates the ultimate environment. If you use dry ice just keep it in a styrofoam cooler or something to slow it's dissipation rate.

Hi Heart,

CO2 sounds like an excellent addition to any grow room. I've been reading and debating the CO2 bags or adding big jars of sugar & yeast, which sounds like the cheaper option, with adding a cup of sugar each week to refresh the CO2.

Interestingly, if this is mites, I have read that big doses of CO2 can help to get rid of them, along with other foliar remedies including Neem Oil, organic tea & some other chemical compounds.

I'm hoping someone with knowledge of this new weird growth can chime in with some information :)

peace all!

Back
Top Bottom