Yellow patches/dots

honeysoi

420 Member
Hi all,
Looking for some advice, unfortunately I needed to plant my germinated seeds and my store was out of my usual coco mix, so I settled on bricks from bunnings. I flushed it all well before use as advised. I am feeding my usual mix of calmag and canna coco AB. I did notice when they were small seedlings what looked like Ca deficiency so I've been daily foliar feeding with calmag. I didn't get a good photo of the damage but you can see it in the first photo. I chopped those 4 leaves off and now new spots are appearing. Any ideas? TIA.

Screenshot_20231114-180116_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231114-180158_Gallery.jpg

I’ll caveat this by saying I’m looking at this on a cell phone. I would get a loop/magnifying glass and take a hard look under the affected leaves, almost looks like mite or thrip damage. In the second pic, besides the tip, look about 2/3rds up the leaf, I see what looks like yellow pin pricks, which looks like bug damage. That said, you plants look very nice other than a few wonky leaves.

I’ll caveat this by saying I’m looking at this on a cell phone. I would get a loop/magnifying glass and take a hard look under the affected leaves, almost looks like mite or thrip damage. In the second pic, besides the tip, look about 2/3rds up the leaf, I see what looks like yellow pin pricks, which looks like bug damage. That said, you plants look very nice other than a few wonky leaves.
Thanks. I will have a hard look after work at the undersides of the leaves. The yellow patches started as the tiny yellow pin pricks then spreads to become more patchy as the photo shows

That supposed to happen to bottom leaves. . No worries. Unless gets second node up from ground but I can add Cal mag just cause
I haven't had this happen to any other plants before tho. As im on coco, l always feed with a dose of calmag in it and have been foliar spraying with calmag too.

Temps have been very warm lately (30-32°C) at peaks. And my light intensity has been too high so ill dial that down a little this afternoon.

Temps have been very warm lately (30-32°C) at peaks. And my light intensity has been too high so ill dial that down a little this afternoon.
Why turn ya light down?
How do you know intensity has been to high?
The damage is on the leaves at the bottom so it's definitely not from the lights!!
I'm going to go with calcium deficiency.

They've been on 45DLI since seed. I thought that might be abit high for young plants, although probably fine now they are a little bigger. I'm not necessarily saying it's light damage but have read it's best to dial down when dealing with issues. I'm still learning. I will continue with calmag foliar spray until I get it sorted

I haven't had this happen to any other plants before tho. As im on coco, l always feed with a dose of calmag in it and have been foliar spraying with calmag too.
Probably too much in spray too. Plants get more from roots than leaves. If it drys on leaves will burn them. I know that one myself

Probably too much in spray too. Plants get more from roots than leaves. If it drys on leaves will burn them. I know that one myself
Appreciate it. Could be a potential as I've been worried about it so spraying 2x per day while lights on... I'm at work during lights off unfortunately

Just had a good look with a microscope and I'm unable to find any mites or eggs

if it's mites more will show up soon enough.

The smaller spots look exactly like my plants do when they’ve been burnt from a foliar or misting.. Running your lights at 45 DLI and hitting them with a foliar very likely burnt them.

Foliars are usually done during lights out or close to it so this doesn’t happen.

The big scarring is a little more interesting.. the twisting of the leaves is usually a sign of high mineral levels. What was your concentrate for the foliar?

If it happens to be mites do you have any advice?

if you've got them they won't be hard to fix now in veg. just wait for a couple days and see if it continues. stop the foliar in the meantime to rule it out. should be feeding calmag at any rate.

I chopped those 4 leaves off and now new spots are appearing

I missed this the first time around. This is a classic deficiency sign. I’m gonna tag @Bill284 he may have seen this before.

Are you phing your solution? When and how are you adding your calmag, before or after you mix your nutes?

The smaller spots look exactly like my plants do when they’ve been burnt from a foliar or misting.. Running your lights at 45 DLI and hitting them with a foliar very likely burnt them.

Foliars are usually done during lights out or close to it so this doesn’t happen.

The big scarring is a little more interesting.. the twisting of the leaves is usually a sign of high mineral levels. What was your concentrate for the foliar?
Unfortunately lights off is when I'm at work. Could be a coincidence but I did notice when I foliar sprayed last that a large drop formed on the end of the leaf where the patch is. The calmag says dose at .5-1ml per litre. I was doing 2ml per litre for foliar. probably a bad idea.

I missed this the first time around. This is a classic deficiency sign. I’m gonna tag @Bill284 he may have seen this before.

Are you phing your solution? When and how are you adding your calmag, before or after you mix your nutes?
I'm not currently pH'ing as my mix seems to settle around 5.9-6. I first dose the calmag, mix, then canna coco part a, mix then part b

Back
Top Bottom