Young Shepard Cross Breed in Deep Water Culture

Hey PG, looking real good! :goodjob:

I'm in for the ride! :popcorn:

Thx Krip ima hook both you guys up with some 420 points showin this community is active!

good looking out for a fellow grower as I do appreciate the look up! And at this moment I do have something you could help me with or anyone 4 that matter! :tokin: I've been recieving some conflicting reports on ideal resivour temps from a couple experienced friends its all explained here on this thread i just posted: Ideal DWC 5gal resivour temps
my question is explained well there. So if you got any advice regarding that please get back! Thanks again and im glad to be making more friends here!
:goodluck:
PG

Answered you in that thread, brother :hookah:

daily update

February 7th 2011
Monday
Time 4:44
PH 5.65
PPM 1034
H20 Temp 72.4 deg/F
Room Temp 75 deg/F
Description Okay so I really dont like UPS that much. Yeah united post smokers and what not but there customer service SUCKS there 1800 number was busy for like an hour and on top of that I can't pick my package up until 8 tonight allll far away and shite:cough: ! Whatever Anyways I also added reflective tape to the top of the bucket in hopes of bringing the H20 temps down. I have yet to see any difference. Maybe if i cover the whole bucket :Rasta:. Regardless I gatta figure something out. I am a fucking perfectionist damn it and that water needs to be exactly 65 deg/F and until it is ima be fucking pissed!:tokin: well as pissed as I can be about having a pretty damn happy plant. But if any one has any cost effective eyedeas on keeping my water at 65 deg/F in a 75 deg/F environment I would greatly apreciate! :grinjoint:
PG

PG, you're not really going to be able to get res temps down below your ambient room temps without some sort of chiller. In other words, if your room temp is 75*F, eventually the water will reach 75*F unless it's somehow cooled. Using a cooler (or something insulated) as a res will delay the time it takes to reach ambient temperature, but it will still get there eventually without something else in the picture.

As an FYI...this is something I've been concerned about since temps in my cabinet average 78*-80*F. However, with regular res changes and some good additives, you should be able to avoid any issues.

Hygrozyme is very effective in organic DWC and it can be used in conjunction with H2O2 to help prevent root rot. I've been using Dutch Masters Gold Range Zone, which was recommended by another 420 member for use in non-organics, and it's done great. So far, no root issues at all!

Admittedly, 65*-68* is an ideal temp for the res but if you live in a warm climate, you may find it tough to maintain those temps without spending lots of money on either a res chiller, or A/C to cool the entire grow room.

:goodluck:

I've been using Dutch Masters Gold Range Zone, which was recommended by another 420 member for use in non-organics, and it's done great. So far, no root issues at all!:goodluck:

Yo Thanks again for a quick reply with some deep Knowledge Krip I bet you grow some KRIP ass Nuggets :tokin: Anyways with regards to this quote I just wanted to say that I am also using synthetic Nutrients also, in fact I am using the Dutch Master Gold GROW A & B. So I would suspect that Gold Range Zone will be perfect for me. And you say it keeps away problems when running high reservoir temps?

Oh and I kinda came up with a weird idea for a cheap DIY way of keeping your resi cold though it can be a pain in the ass im sure. The idea is to basically get a large tupper ware tub that has a rim thats about 5 inches tall and big enough to fit my 5 gal bucket in with plenty of room. Then fill that tupper ware with ice water which in turn would transfer through the reflective tape and black plastic and cool down the water :p just an idea haha. I mean hell i even have a DIY co2 system at the moment (water sugar and normal yiest shaken up in a water bottle) haha :cool::cool: stoney and resourceful the way I like to live! :tokin: Anyways thanks again Krip I hope you know I apreciate the knowledge!! Oh and i'll definitely subscribe to both your grow links!

PG
:Namaste:

Oh and Finaly Got her the Light she Needed! 400 watts of pure Metal Halide! Screw that horrible T5!

-219.jpg

SHE'S LOOKING ALLL GROWNNN UPPP :drool:

-127.jpg

eh I try 2 spoil my girls :blunt:

Hey PG, just dropping by to check out your shepard. She is looking good, roots growing fast!! :tokin:

:woohoo: Thanks 4 joining! I look forward to checkin out your grows which I am about 2 do in fact I need 2 hit yours and Krips up asap! :tokin:

Greatly appreciated and :goodluck:!11111

A lot of people will put frozen water bottles in the res to keep temps down. But, then you have to switch out bottles a couple of times a day.

The DM Zone is not specifically for high temps. But, the common problem with high res temps is root rot and the DM Zone is a root zone optimizer. It helps keep the roots healthy & break down the nasty stuff into stuff the roots can uptake. I have a "420-friend" who swears by it and so far, I've had great results with it, too, and I'm constantly running above 75*F. I also have lots of air being pumped into the res and am religious about changing the res once per week.

BTW...I've spent a lot of time researching growing techniques and hydro but am really in the middle of my first grow, so just testing my knowledge. Most of what I know I learned right here at :420:

The strains I'm growing are G13 Labs Pineapple Express and Barneys Farm LSD which I started from seed and I also have a couple Royal Haze and an Afghan Kush that were given to me in distressed condition a few weeks ago.

There are a lot of really good and very innovative growers here that are always more than willing to help. When you have a chance, check out the DIY forum and you'll see people that could build a rocket ship with some duct tape and tin foil! :)

Yeah Krip I know what your talking about man. Theres a ton of knowledge on this site and plenty of dope ass growers 2 draw inspiration from including yourself. N fuck this is my first time at Hydro and only my second plant doing it, and fuck if you look at my link to my indoor soil grow you can easily see i've had my downs but im stoked cuz this grow and the one before that my room mate is writing about are definetly UPS! chyeahh. Oh and thank you for the frozen water bottle eyedea. I'll definitely try it once im in a bigger resivour like when i switch to ebb and grow down the line possibly. Till then i'll pick up some hydrozyme and continue with the h202. :high-five:

Anyways time for the daily update and a couple dank ass pics!

Febuary 8th 2011
Tuesday
Time 4:30
PH5.5
PPM1070
H20 temp 72.5
Description Okay so today was definitely a weird but good day. So at 430 I decided it was time to take my daily measurements. And instead of taking the black reservoir bucket out of the grow closet like i normally do, I instead left it in there under the light while I transferred the plant to the "holding bucket" which is already kinda stupid since that can make fungus grow in my bucket. So anyways first I started by trying to take PH measurements when I found that every reading was somewhere between 3.4-4.5 and I straight panicked and thought what the fuck? maybe she's been drinking so much water and somehow filtered out the nutrients leaving a more acidic soup than what I wanted...which is kinda impossible now that I think of it. Anyways long story short I changed the water and just now like 15 minutes ago (its 11:30 now) I tested it the same way leaving the Resi in the grow closet under the light and again psycho readings this time even worse! thats when I knew my PH meter must be fucked up. So I tested some water in a cup in my room away from the light and to my astonishment I got around 7.0 which is what the RO water i've been using usually PH's at. So then I decided to pull the stupid Resi out from under the light to a shadowy side of the room tested it and boom 5.5. So for some fucking reason that I do not know of, Metal Halide lights throw Hanna PH meters the fuck off! So if you didn't know now you know haha. Plus its there cheap asss red one thats like 27 bucks. I need a better PH meter I think :tokin: haha, once I sell some of this medical grade marijuana to my medical patient mother brother and fellow patients maybe i'll be able to afford a SIk one? N who ever said money doesnt grow on trees haha. In other news she's doing FANTAZTIK! She really loves the new 400 Watt Metal Halide. To those of you who are a fan of the green man "I grow marijuana" youtube videos I just have to say this "maybe you dont NEED Halides but boy they sure do kick ass compared to CFL's" anyways, I can't wait to measure her on friday she's getn' a ton of growth after only one day I sware! :cheer: :cheer:
Enjoy the PICS!
PG :tokin:

-314.jpg

Nice ass canopy full of soon 2B FAT Collas!

-220.jpg

At first I was afraid I topped her too early. But Im digging the bushi-ness!

-128.jpg

Thought i'd introduce mother and daughter today :) nawwww I just wanted to show what I get to look forward too :) :)

I so wish there was a way to email cannabis hahah cuz you guys helped me grow this smoke and i'd love to pass around a fat :roorrip: hit but still remain safe an anonymous lol I know! we all show up to a warehouse wearing black bags over our heads! :grinjoint:

I so wish there was a way to email cannabis hahah cuz you guys helped me grow this smoke and i'd love to pass around a fat :roorrip: hit but still remain safe an anonymous lol I know! we all show up to a warehouse wearing black bags over our heads! :grinjoint:

:rofl: That's a :idea:! I am gonna paint a red swish on my bag! The plants are looking real good!

So for the first time I skipped two days without testing my baby. I am ashamed! BUT! I made up for it by being busy as hell and attaining this from my Medical Cannabis growing Mentor :high-five:.
0211111939.jpg

Got It all hooked up recirculatin and everything!!!! If you wanna see how I converted my Deep Water culture set up to this click on the "tutorial conversion" link in my signature its my first how to thread so any input would be highly appreciated though I know its a long read. Anyways i'll get on with it:
Feb 11, 2011
Friday
Changed H20
PH: 5.6
PPM:1015
H20 Temp: 60 deg/F Closet Temp: 77 deg/F
Description: So in the last two days i've missed she's grown immensly dispite warmer than usual weather resulting in warmer than usual resivoure temps (thank god from now on that'll be a problem of the past boo yaa :) causing stress to my plant in the form of small rust dots on the older fan leaves which tells me this is a Mobile deficiency and I am not surprised right before I missed those two days my resi was still hanging around 5.5 and had a pretty damn high PPM ratio of like 1075 or something combined with the warmer water ment she wasn't able to suck up as much of the good old NPK's as she needed I believe thats how it goes. Mobile deficiency=NPK aka macro-nutrients problem while non mobile deficiency's (stay in new growth) is from micro-nutrients. If im wrong someone please point it out.
But as of coarse I have my resi temps down and I put in a dash of PH UP to bring her PH to 5.6-5.8 I should wake up to a bright green girl tomorrow morning thanking me for driving far and long for a piece of equipment for her. Gosh darn I am tired and ready to retire!
0211111926.jpg

Her Root Ball is gettting huge!
:high-five:
Best.
-p.g.

Nicely done! PG

Looking good man.I like the chiller I bet that will help out a lot..

PG, looks great! Nice work! :goodjob: :welldone: :bravo:

Thanks for the props guys I really appreciate it :high-five:. Without an active community of growers and friends like you guys this stuff wouldn't be nearly as fun!

Februrary 13th 2011
Sunday
Time 1145am
PH:6.1
PPM:948
H20 Temp:63
Ambient temp:81
So today is my first official "daily" update since I installed my Recirculating chiller. Let me tell you though its a bitch to move her into another bucket and swop out/top off nutrients not to mention trying to get an actuate PH and PPM reading expecially with a weird Hanna meter that freaks out if my air stones are pumping it even freaks if its in direct light of my 400 watt MH! So whatever. Basically what im saying is Im probably ganna change it to "every other day" testing honestly, at least until I figure out an easier way to disconnect and reconnect. I may cut the black pipe and incorporate some sort of lock/dis-lock connector.
IMPORTANT IF YOUR GOING TO READ ANYTHING READ THIS PARAGRAPH
The other day I copied this out of "Urban Magazine" a free magazine that give out at my local hydro shop, read as follows-
"I picked up an issue of Urban Garden an old one from NOV/DEC 2010 the cover reads "the freedom of nature the nature of freedom" in this I read an excerpt on DWC that excited me; on page 44 paragraph 7 middle of the paragraph it reads "With water as their growing media growers can tailor nutrient solution parameters more specifically. Provoking plant responses such as essential oil production, fruiting and flowering are better manipulated when the substrate can be diailed in. For example, higher exposure of the root zone to atmospheric oxygen can help trigger a plant to increase oil production as a means to conserve water, and can also apply mild root stresses that are often interpreted by the plant as reproductive cues. While higher water levels can cause plants to focus more energy on vegetative production, particularly fan leaves, which in turn speeds transpiration and photosynthetic potential." It also goes on to say that a PH between 5.5 and 5.9 is better for flower where 6.0-6.3 is better for veg. As a result of all this new information after topping her off today I made sure to raise her water level aprox 3-4 inches above its normal level as well I bumped her PH up to 6.1. I figure I'll keep the PH around the 6.0 level and like a week before I flip her to flower i'll start taking her down slowly to the levels mentioned earlier. even though I added 20ml of both Dutch Master grow A and B her TDS is down a bit it was hanging out around 1050 but I figure a little drop will be good for her. Let her eat some of this food before I change it next friday.
Last but not least I forgot to mention that I measured her again. If you remember last week she was aprox 6 inches tall, today I measured her and she's 14 inches tall :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer: SHE'S GROWING APROX 1 INCH A DAY! Thats great news for me. Im waiting till she hits aprox 23 inches or we harvest her big sister in my closet which ever happens first haha. Then if she's anything like her older clone sister she'll gain another 20 inches or so in flower! Cant wait! :high-five:
Enjoy the pix!
-p.g
0213111350b.jpg

A bit of HUMBOLDT NUTRIENTS inspiration for her :)

0213111356.jpg

Found this cool ass tv stand in my ally decided to bring it in cut it up clean it off and turn it into my chiller stand :cool:

0213111356a.jpg

Even incorporated another DIY c02 set up aka 3 gal Jug, 2 3/4 gal of tap water, 1 lbs of sugar and 3 packets of regular Yiest with an "S" bubbler and tubing on top to keep track of how fast c02 is exiting and 2 direct where it exits=extra 700-900 PPM of C02 a day :)

0213111357a.jpg

Feel so good to know your water is at its optimal temperature constantly :tokin:

thanks for checkin it out! :grinjoint:
im worn out, time for a few tokes!

0211112103.jpg

Next generation. One on the left will be my room mates, the one on the right-Thats mine :morenutes:

JUST IN: FOUND OUT FINALLY WHAT MY YOUNG SHEPARD STRAIN IS CROSSED WITH FROM THE FRIEND AND MENTOR WHO GAVE ME THE CLONE HIMSELF I ALREADY KNEW IT WAS PRE 99 BUBBA KUSH BUT WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW IS THAT IT WAS PRE 99 BUBBA KUSH CROSSED WITh DEEP CHUNK Im happy to say I finaly know what she is. completely :)

Question:

Does anyone know of a good seed bank that can get seeds into the US? California to be exact?

Back
Top Bottom