Second Grow - Deep Water Culture, 400w, Black Jack and Friends

Welcome 420chic.

As Green pointed out - check out RM's tutorial. Tremendously helpful.

Also I recommend picking up a copy of Greg Green's "Cannabis Growers Bible".

Thanks for all the help RM and Green and Love1Fear and on and on. This grow started out rough but it was help and advice from you all that helped me get things on track. If I could I'd pass you a bowl.

Time for another update.

The plants are rocking.

Temps have been great - between 68 and 70. RH has been a stunning 70-85. PH has been 6.2 to 5.8 but starting high and moving down. The plants are drinking a gallon per day per tank.

I read in "The Cannabis Growers Bible" that I need to look for calyxes as a sign my plants are sexually mature enough for flowering. Well I have them on all my plants. I read on a different forum I need to look for asymmetrical branching as a sign of maturity, I also have asymmetrical branching on all the plants. I am assuming my plants are ready to go to 12/12.

This is a bit of a surprise to me. I am growing Kali Mist which is reported to be 90% sativa. Sativa strains are supposed to take longer to mature. My Kali Mist are a full week younger than my Black Jacks and yet the Kali Mist showed the calyxes first as well as the asymmetrical branching first.

I am doing a drain and replenish this weekend. I will switch the plants (can't call them girls yet because I haven't been able to sex them yet) to bloom nutes and 12/12 HPS lighting.

A couple pics....

Taken a bit back from the closet door to get a good view of the plants:

IMG_06461.jpg

A closer shot of the closet. Not sure if it comes through in my craptastic phone photo but the plants are up against all 4 walls. They have completely filled a 3x4 space.

IMG_06473.JPG

Time to get some height photos.

Kali Mist - again a full week younger than the Black Jack - tallest plant at 30"

IMG_06482.jpg

Black Jack is still a respectable 24" (trying to hold the tape measure in one hand and take a picture with the other hand leads to weird angles - but it really is 24")

IMG_06494.jpg

Any questions please ask. Hope everyone is doing well!

+reps bro - they look great!

Now I may be wrong on this, but it is how I understand things - The plants mature when they mature, no real time frame, 5 weeks-ish. But you can send them to flower before they are mature if you want to. The big time difference between sativa and indica is during flower. Indica finish flowering generally faster than sativa. So maybe what you read about "maturing" was referring more to the time it takes to "finish" in flowering. Indica - 8-10 weeks-ish, Sativa - 10-14 or more weeks.

Does that make sense to you?

+reps bro - they look great!

Now I may be wrong on this, but it is how I understand things - The plants mature when they mature, no real time frame, 5 weeks-ish. But you can send them to flower before they are mature if you want to. The big time difference between sativa and indica is during flower. Indica finish flowering generally faster than sativa. So maybe what you read about "maturing" was referring more to the time it takes to "finish" in flowering. Indica - 8-10 weeks-ish, Sativa - 10-14 or more weeks.

Does that make sense to you?

Makes perfect sense, thanks Green!

Making the switch to 12/12 tomorrow. Getting high off my last harvest tonight.

No time for pics this morning but a mini-update.

I decided not to switch to bloom nutes yet. I read a post by MostlyCrazy (I think it was him) stating he stays with grow nutes for the first two weeks of 12/12 because the plants need the extra N during the stretch. This makes complete sense to me so I am following that plan.

Plants are doing great.

The plant that was 31" in the picture above was 42" when I measured it last night. And it probably put on a couple inches over night (I keep my lights on at night to help heat control). I am starting to worry a little about height because they are nearing the top of my seriously ghetto mylar job. It's going to suck to try to add more mylar with the room packed full of blooming plants.

The Black Jack are very beautiful, dense plants. The Kali Mist kind of lanky and starting to open up. They don't look like a wall of green any more.

Pics later this week. Hope everyone's having a kick ass week!

Time for an update.

Tomorrow marks day 7 of 12/12. But I'll be busy tomorrow so here are some pics :)

Let's play spot the male!

IMG_06556.jpg

While he is easy to spot he sure is tall. Almost 50".

IMG_06584.jpg

Still too early to make an official call on sex:

IMG_06575.jpg

IMG_06564.jpg

While not as lanky the Black Jack are great plants. Not 50" but a respectable 38". And bushy as hell.

IMG_06595.jpg

I am seeing some signs of Mag def on one of the Kali Mist so I added the Cal/Mag back to the water tonight. I am ready to see the pristine white roots looking nasty again. I wont freak about it this time.

Waiting to be able to sex them so I can segregate the boys and girls. I am going to try to collect some pollen from the Kali Mist males.

Hope everyone has a great Friday night!

Time for another update.

It's sexing time.

It appears I have 2 female Black Jacks, this is expected as they were fem'ed seeds. I have at least 2 male and 2 female Kali Mist, one unknown but I am leaning male.

One big shock to me is that my female Kali Mist are the giant plants. I have always read the the male plants are bigger, faster growing than the females. In my case the males are puny runts and the females are monsters. I couldn't be happier.

On to the pics....

Dude looks like a ... well a dude.

IMG_06612.jpg

So does this one...

IMG_06653.jpg

Some I believe are females:

IMG_06624.jpg

I've decided not to gather the pollen and will be hacking the males this weekend. I just don't have the room to set up the males in a different room. :(

Some baby bud pics

Kali Mist bud site:

IMG_06647.jpg

Black Jack main cola bud site:

IMG_06667.jpg

Black Jack canopy... so uniform:

IMG_06636.jpg

Group photo. Notice the Kali Mist plant that is now taller than the light. I am 5' 10". The plant is taller than I am. And it's a girl :)

IMG_06605.jpg

Hope every one is having a great one!

Happy Saturday morning all.

Week 2 of 12/12.

I did a drain and replenish this morning. I also removed the two known males from my closet. They are tied up in garbage bags like Dexter got a hold of them or something.

I was kind of shocked out removing two plants made the closet look so much more empty. It will let a lot of light get to the lower branches of the remaining plants. They also were leaning on each other so the plants were kind of wobbly after I removed the males. I positioned them as best I could and will hope they straighten themselves up and grow into their new found space.

I took this opportunity to switch to bloom fertilizer. I also noticed what I believe to be Mag deficiency in the plants so I added some epson salts. 1 teaspoon (per tank) dissolved in hot water, allowed to cool then added to the water I used in the replenish.

On to the pictures!

This is a group photo after the two males were removed. Notice the huge plant on the right side. She's a monster. For scale please notice the top of a 5 gallon bucket in the lower right corner. This girl is taller than me. She's 6' or taller. And she is covered in bud sites.

IMG_06676.jpg

Immature bud p0rn

Kali Mist baby buds:

IMG_06702.jpg

In this one (if you can make it out in my crappy phone photo) you can see how the Kali Mist has many small bud sites covering the plant:

IMG_06716.jpg

Black Jack bud, much denser, tighter already:

IMG_06687.jpg

This is a Kali Mist stem (before I cleaned up the mess from removing the males):

IMG_06724.jpg

Any questions please ask.

Hope you all have a kickin' weekend!

Back
Top Bottom