Second Grow - Deep Water Culture, 400w, Black Jack and Friends

Have u seen any critters under ur leafs? I will be so happy for u if YOU are positive that ur mite free, and its just a deficiency! Whats PPM of ur reservoir?
P.S can we get a few close shots of the roots please (I have seen the pics from yesterday, but some clear 1s of the discoloration, Thanks man just trying to do my part).
P.S.S Question for ya [(sorry Fire Eyed) just made that up HaHa] ohh ya, Umm is the discoloration a sludge on the roots and more importantly the Rootlets or is it the the decayed Rootlets themselves that is the discoloration, then we would have a better idea if its burn or cal/mag coloring.
HAPPY FRIDAY ALL

Thanks guys!

I will get some photos of the roots soon. The roots are looking better but still slightly discolored. No visible rot, all are firm, no smell. Just... brown in spots. It's sludge ON the roots, not the roots mushing up. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the link to the chart Green. One picture popped out at me:

1302.jpeg

This is what my leaves looked like. Then the spots turned golden and the leaves look unhealthy.

The photo identifies the issue as PH fluctuation. I *thought* the PH was steady. I test once a day. I am increasing that to twice a day. I keep things in a range 5.5-6.0.

I am doing my weekly drain and replenish this weekend. I am switching from Botanicare nutes to Dyna-Gro. My first grow I had no problems like this and for veg I used Dyna-Gro (my ol' Uncle Ben recommended the brand). I hope that helps stabilize things.

Thanks again for all the help and input. If I could I'd pass you all a bowl. Instead I am trying to spread as much rep around as I can.

Have a kick ass Friday!

If you look at a pH chart, many nutes are not being digested if you stay below 6.0.

Look on the right side of the top chart (left side is for soil) and the 2nd chart, Hydro is on the left, and see what nutes are eaten above 6.0!

pH_Chart2.jpg

nutrient_chart_454.gif

all of this is from my Tutorial.

Man... I feel like such a n00b.

Oi, it's only my second grow so I am still learning. And already I have learned a lot this grow.

Thanks RM! I am going to adjust the PH up to about 5.9. I had been trying to stay around 5.6. For some reason I thought this was the magic PH for hydro. Obviously I was mistaken. Pics of the roots tomorrow during the drain and replenish.

Thanks again for all the help!

I use Dyna-Gro too Grow and Bloom. I love the nutes except for them not being PH balanced, but still love em, and they are the only nutes I have used in hydro.

Thanks all.

Exactly my plan RM. Gonna start 'em at 5.9 and allow them to eat themselves over 6 then top it off to bring the PH back down.

I did a drain and replenish this morning. As promised photos of roots. They look much better - I stopped the cal/mag 2 days ago. Almost all the brown is gone.

This is the largest Black Jack. It has the worst of the brown:

IMG_06282.jpg

Kali Mist roots:

IMG_06271.jpg

IMG_06264.jpg

IMG_06251.jpg

The plants look really nice.

Here is a group shot. Compare it to the one taken two days ago. They are filling out =)

IMG_06242.jpg

The stems are beefy too:

IMG_06292.jpg

Time for an update =)

I switched to Dyna-Gro nutes. The brown roots have cleared up. The plants seem really happy. No more spots on the laves. The leaves that had/have spots seem to be recovering.

The RH has increased. Just the weather. It was as low as 29% now it's a pretty steady 50-ish%. I haven't been using a humidifier this grow because I have had heat issues and the humidifier heats the closet. So I am happy with the increase in humidity.

The Kali Mist started out virtually identical. Now one has sprouted up about two inches taller than the others. Guessing that one will be a male. Which is Ok, I am looking to gather some pollen.

I didn't top the plants this grow. I wanted to see what they look like au natural =)

I had planned on getting my PH up by raising my PH to 5.9 then letting the plants eat the nutes until the PH was well over 6. Well, it seemed like a good idea. The past two days the plants are going through a full gallon in each tank per day. When I checked the PH to replace the gallon the PH had DROPPED. So that tells me the plants are drinking more water and not eating all their veggies.... err nutes. Now I am adding a higher PH mixture (about 6.3) and letting the plants eat it down to 5.9.

Now on to the pics!

Group shot:

IMG_06314.jpg

The tall (male?) Kali Mist:

IMG_06344.jpg

All five Kali Mist:

IMG_06321.JPG

Two Black Jack:

IMG_06331.JPG

Root p0rn:

IMG_06355.jpg

IMG_06364.jpg

Any questions please ask.

Happy growing all!

Hey all,

Time for an update.

First thing - birthdate - Black Jack is at week 5 exactly today. Kali Mist, exactly 4 weeks old. Group photo for their birthday:

IMG_06392.jpg

Both varieties are doing well. The Kali Mist are now taller than the Black Jack. The Black Jack are bushy. Very bushy. No trimming but still lots of lateral branching. A picture is worth a thousand words. Looking down on one of the Back Jacks:

IMG_06434.jpg

The roots are now all white. I am using Dyna-Gro grow fertilizer with no additives at all. I am using the max recommended dosage and it appears to be just enough to keep the plants happy. The photo makes the roots look kind of yellow, it's the photo. The roots are white and as you can see they are healthy:

IMG_06422.jpg

Temps and humidity have been great.

IMG_06454.jpg

Unfortunately I have house guests coming today so I have to close up the closet for a day. I am a little worried my temps will rise. But I figure it's one day only.

I am waiting until at least one more week before starting flower - maybe a few more weeks depending on the plants. This is the first time I have grown a sativa strain and I am not sure how long to let it veg. My first grow I vegg'ed for 5 weeks. I am not worried about height.

A couple pictures to close with....

Black Jacks:

IMG_06412.jpg

Kali Mist:

IMG_06403.jpg

Renfield - your ladies look GREAT! :goodjob:

420chic - :welcome: to 420!
Check out Rosemans Deep Water Culture Tutorial - (the link is in my sig)
(Actually lots of great links in my sig in regards to Deep Water Culture)

And visit the Deep Water Culture Home and introduce yourself - lots of friendly knowledgeable people to help answer any questions you might have.

Back
Top Bottom