Young Shepard Cross Breed in Deep Water Culture

Those shots of grow rooms with dozens of plants as far as the eye can see are always inspiring, but there's just something visceral about monster plants like this. I LOVE it.

Go big or go home.

Count me in for the love, and count me among the hard-core DWC fans. Simple to build, simple to operate and you absolutely can't argue with the results.

I like any system for any purpose that has built-in fail-safe functionality. Once the roots hit the water even a power failure won't kill the plants quick. Sure, you need to run the air pumps to keep the plants happy and alive but if they'll be okay for quite awhile without it. Not many hydroponic systems can boast that.

whats up hydroherb :welcome: to my thread and im always stoked to meet another fan of the DWC system :) I must note though that I am lucky enough to have an RDWC-recirculating deep water culture system...though its only circulating through a chiller but it keeps my nutrients perfectly mixxed and my h20 temps at a perfect 67v deg/f 24/7. Do you have a current grow journal? If so please sent me the link!
Glad to meet another friend!
Take care
:peace:Hydrologist

PERSONAL UPDATE

MY NEW AVATAR KICKS ASS AND I JUST WANTED TO EXPLAIN TO EVERYTHING WHAT IT MEANS!!!!!

Ok so I bought the shirt that has this logo on it because I love it so damn much! The shirt is made by the company "D L CLothing" which stands for "dope logo clothing" and their main logo is a star with 4 virtical lines next to two stacked lines next to a cirlce. Can anyone guess what that means? 4-2-0!!!!! 420 bro!!!!
lol
as a result everyone of their designs has this hidden 420 crap going on throughout it.
heres a few of their logos so you can see what im talking about with the whole 4-2-0 thing they "hide" in their logo. lol. FUCKING STONERS....
l19.jpg

in fact in this image i also wanted to point out that that specific molecule the beese are floating over is actually the visual for the THC MOLECULE

I dont know about you but I just think thats fucking dope!!!

Then check it out the beese have 4 stripes, two wings and a 0 for a head. Then you got 4 honey comb octogons, 2 yellow strips through it and one white :p lol you even have 4 blue lines in the honey comb things, then 2 of something else and im sure a single of another thing lol. FIND THEM FOR YOURSELFS!!!!
T-shirt_DL_BeeHive.JPG

Just wanted to throw that out to you all as this will be the new avatar i'll be sporting for awhile :)

Got sick of that weird poke-e-man one I had before haha.

well maybe you should try some design work with Shapey and see if you can come up with your own version, something one of a kind, unique so to put it, like your lil delicate ass!!! HA....

I'll get a shot of the new chiller up later. I replaced a little CL85 chiller with the Sunleaves 132 (rated for a 132 gal res). The CL85 runs off of a peltier style cooler--no compressor or refrigerant. It is probably pretty good on a 20gal aquarium which is what it is really suited for. It struggled to keep my temps at 72 (about 10 deg below ambient). This new chiller is keeping things chilly, they say it will keep temps constant to any temp above 32 withing 2 degrees (but you can change the default to 0, I don't think a 2 degree swing from 66 is a huge concern). Mine barely has to work to keep things where they are with ~20gals of nutes, I would imagine yours only has to wake up occasionally to keep you temps stable as well. If you wrapped your bucket with some insulated foil bubble wrap it would be even more efficient.

I may have to try doing some foliar. I haven't ventured into that yet. Kind of figured that if the plants are looking good, don't mess with them. I'm also adding in things slowly so I can see how each thing affects the grow. This grow I only added the CO2 and the Great White to what I had on last grow and have noticed an improvement. Maybe on Grow 4.0. I'll try the foliar on 1/2 of the plants to see what the effects are.

I might add in some gravity this grow, but I am planning on using Overdive the last 2 weeks, so I may not. I think too many things in the soup may not be a good idea.

Next grow I plan on going almost completely with the CES line of nutes and only supplementing with Silica Blast and Hygrozyme. I figure some of these nute companies have to employ people smarter than me and they know what they're doing.

yo yo steve-0
yeah man my chiller is pretty fucking stealth, mine is also rated for like a 20 or 30 gal aquarium as well, so as far as the workload its at now dealing with 3 gallons constantly recirculating every 50 seconds.....sucker barely has to kick on :) and im not sure the effectivness of it. But from simple observation i've noted that the sucker usually kicks on when the temps go about .5 to a full degree higher than what its set at atm (67 deg/F) so at like 67.8 it'll kick on for about...idk a minute and then its off. Super quiet super efficient so I barely notice. Its an awesome plug and play system thats for sure. Yours sounds hella gnarly though bro congrats! If you dont mind me asking about how much did you pay? I know the fuckers are expensive thats why I am so greatful the homie "E" is letting me borrow this for X ammount of time, not like that ass hole needs it or anything, homie is a rep for one of those high powered LED companys so he gets a ton of gear for free and he turns out about 2 lbs a month! He's definetly a pro! As far as wrapping my resi in bubble rap or w.e to keep it more efficient....I don't think it'll make much of a difference, expecially with only 3 gallons or less you know. Though when I expand the set up to 3 or more plants recirculating through the same chiller in the next couple of months (when Heks moves out and I turn his room into the grow room) I may look into that idea a bit more thanks!

As far as foliar goes. I havn't been toooo adiment about doing it throughout my grow career. One thing that bothers me about it is you can't measure the extra ammount of nutrients that your giving to your plant since they dont sit in your res where you can get a PPM reading on them. As a result when it comes to using anything really "powerful" like snow storm ultra i'll probably lower my ppm's about 100 or 200 since im at like 1300 right now anyways, and start with a one a week half than recomended application...see how the plant does and slowly bring it back up to speed :).

So thats the one bummer about foliar is not being able to see the ppm's BUT what I do really like about foliar from what i've read in hydro magazines is that your plant is able to obsorb much LARGER macro molecules and molecules than it can at its roots system which just means that you can still give your plants certain nutrients and vitamins that otherwise might not be able to enter your plant through its roots. On that note Im not sure if you've heard of these "wetting agents" that hydro shops sell. One in particular thats become kinda famous is Humbolt Nutrients (different from humbolt countys own which makes the gravity and snow storm) they have this wetting agent called "sticky" i believe but what wetting agents do, err what ur suppose to do with them is mix them with your foliar nutrent and the wetting agent basically helps the foliar nutrient obsorb into the plant but also helps it spread out over more leaf surface area. I havn't fucked with one yet but I may with my twins that'll be in grow 3.0 aka next grow after shapey.

Note: its always good to take a new substance slow with your plants thats always my green rule of thumb :) or w.e....lol

as far as applying gravity to your grow along with overdrive dude you'd probably be fine as im using kushi kush(bloom booster) AND gravity which of coarse is another form of bloom booster on top of my base nutrients-advanced nutrients sensi bloom but today im switching that to this stuff called "heavy 16" thats suppose to be way better than sensi bloom so im excited to be picking that up today and according to the grow shop I shouldn't have any problems switching to heavy 16 in the middle of flower, I should just get better results :)) so i am definetly excited about that today!

Just curious what does CES stand for? and i may have asked you once before but what nutrients are you using and in what ammounts? Right now with everything at full strength before switching to heavy 16 today my soup is comprised as follows:

44 ml AN's Sensi Bloom A 44 ml sensi bloom B, 22ml AN's Kushi Kush, 1/4ml of Humbolt Countys Gravity and 3ml of Dutch Master's ZONE=1250-1300ppm :)

take it easy dude, always a joy talkin to ya

btw who makes great white?

yea i kno we just met and all that shit but us younger guys gotta stick together, i see ur 23 and u live wit ya moms and she knows about everything and all that shit, thats what sup, thats cool shit, i use to live wit my mom when my step dad went to jail for a minute and she knew about everything that was goin on and didn't have a problem wit it jus aslong as i was discreet about it and kept it in the garage.. but yea im only 28 been doin this for alittle over a year now and im still learnin, so yea we got a nice little group of us here that are friends and as long as we all stick together we shouldn't have any problems growin if we help eachother out with this hobby we all love oh soo much lol.. but yea i think all you guys are pretty damn cool if u ask me.. :thumb: and i appreciate everybodys help and kind words you give... means alot, definitly keeps me growin...thanks...:tokin:

lol sukka No! I dont live with my mom! Lol! I live with Heks! WHICH IS EVEN WORSE!!! lol naw just kidding. But yeah I smoke herb with my mom but naw...fuck living with her. That ended in the 11th grade and I havn't been back since. Doesn't work. But atleast we're friends now.

Regardless Sukka im glad your my homie and your damn right we ALL need to stick together! I love this little group. again it mainly consists of you, steve-o,DIME, hemprocket, sometimes nepharmer and mr krip lol when they feel like it :tokin: and heks...i guess lol. naw im just playin i love heks. Dick just never posts on my thread. probably wont even vote for my POTM. Even though I helped him get as many votes as I did....tho it was both our plants. whatever RELAX HYDRO!

anyways,
LOVE YOU GUYS!
wish there was a way to like...create a group on here, but who needs that WE HAVE OUR GROUP!
hydro

hydro.

and i think i might build me a little scrog net for my cab just to have one for future grows, that way i already have it prepared.. cause from the look of yours im definitly gonna have to try it, cause the job that scrog did on that plant is just sick, so yea im definitly gonna have to try it on a future grow... :)

yeah dude scrog is fucking AWESOME!!! one of the biggest problems we encountered while growing Sandra-that last giant plant,
was that she almost fell over a bunch of times, her nugs were wayyy to heavy for her so a bunch of her branches were hanging vertically away from the fucking light, and on top of that she was expelling all this energy trying to keep herself balanced and keep her damn froot from snapping right off! alll that energy was wasted on keeping herself upright instead it could have gone into the nugs!

But thats why scrog is killer!!!! Not only does it help support the plant and create a nice beutiful, even canopy BUT ALSO IT ALLOWS YOU TO CONSTANTLY SHAPE YOUR PLANT! HENCE THE NAME SHAPEY!! because your able to like....guide the collas through which squares you want them to and if you did a good job guiding collas to the right places you'll end up with HUGE COLLAS because they get perfect light alll the way down to their base and you can have them all spead out perfectly and they'll just stay their and eventually the branches will lock themselves comfortably into those positions you created and then...

:hug: :hug: :hug:

AWWW AWWWWWW OOOOHHH YEAHHH!!!

you get a beutiful massive plant that has more weight on it than your last one and your only at day 30! dude I got 7 grams off sandra. That bitch wasn't scrogged let alone didn't have real c02 and only had one 400 watt above it!!!

this girl has massive C02, a scrog net, two 400 watts IN ENCLOSED HOODS SO THE LIGHTS ARE WAYYY CLOSER TO HER THAN THEY WERE TO SHAPEY

and just look at the fat bitch! she's massive!

I can't see less than 10 after sandra got 7!!
seriously....
crazy shit!
:high-five:

thanks guys couldn't ah done it w/o ya!

hydro

You`re right dude. I have been busy. I`ve been spending a bit more time with the family and on the household. Plus, now that it`s warming up, I`ve been working away from the office so can`t get online to chat with you guys. Your chunky girl looks very tasty. I`d like to get some one-on-one time with her dude. :)

lol hemp rocket. Sounds like you wanna rape her or something with that one on one talk hahah! that'd be so funny tho I just open my door to the grow room one day and for some reason its your avatar instead of you since i dont know what you look like and i know what your avatar looks like,

anyways i walk in and your avatar is giving a clla a BJ while she fingers shapeys roots

HAHHAHHAHHAH
EWWW.

PLANT RAPE!

hydroloGISM :)

well maybe you should try some design work with Shapey and see if you can come up with your own version, something one of a kind, unique so to put it, like your lil delicate ass!!! HA....

your right dude. its wack to steal other peoples designs. I got my brother who is a very tortured artist by the way (poor guy has add, obsessive compulsive and is a bit of a skitzofrenic :-/) its been hard growing up with him. But he's a magnificent artist and im having him draw me a dope ass Bee to use as my avatar.

Take it easy guys.

Pray for my brother.
he's in a world of self dillusional pain.
and it hurts to watch.

Hydrological.

Just curious what does CES stand for? and i may have asked you once before but what nutrients are you using and in what ammounts? Right now with everything at full strength before switching to heavy 16 today my soup is comprised as follows:

44 ml AN's Sensi Bloom A 44 ml sensi bloom B, 22ml AN's Kushi Kush, 1/4ml of Humbolt Countys Gravity and 3ml of Dutch Master's ZONE=1250-1300ppm :)

take it easy dude, always a joy talkin to ya

btw who makes great white?

Hydro,
CES is Cutting Edge Solutions. They are very clean nutes, when I was starting off with the fogponics system the guy I bought the gear from recommended them because they won't create a huge build up and create clogs in sprayers or foggers (if you add Liquid Karma though, forget it, that shit is chunky). So far I've been pretty happy with their lineup, and their prices are usually less than the bigger name products. They seem to be getting the job done.

Great White is from Plant Revolution, they include the bacteria and the fungi in the same mix for about $40. You only need to add a little to your system and they will colonize the area. So a little container will last a long time. You would have to buy two of the AN products to get the same thing and spend 5x's as much. Although with the DM Zone, you can't use them (also can't use H2O2 in the res). Using the Great White and Hygrozyme, my res is clear (actually pink, the CES base is red so you get a pink tint) and the roots are real healthy. Although I haven't peeked at the roots in awhile, I'll take pics after the chop. They will probably have a little color to them from the Liquid Karma, but they were healthy white roots at at check.

If I had the space I would be building an undercurrent style DWC system. Maybe when Heks moves out you can put one is that room.

yea thats why i cant wait until my next grow, shit i started this grow in a plastic bin with a agro lights(basically a heat lamp) and plain water, nothin else.. and that was basically all the way up until they were like a month old, so that really stunted and stressed the shit out of their growth, so next grow is gonna be way better now that i got all these nutes and the nice ass cab i peiced up, so yea i def cant wait until these are done so i can restart fresh, with more knowledge and the right equipment,, OOHH YEEAA!!! lol but nah im sure these plants will have some good smoke but im sure they could have been way better, but im content with what i got for now...but next grow is gonna be serious... :tokin: ps. and the thought of a little scrog in there, all shitty now!!! lol

Hydro,
CES is Cutting Edge Solutions. They are very clean nutes, when I was starting off with the fogponics system the guy I bought the gear from recommended them because they won't create a huge build up and create clogs in sprayers or foggers (if you add Liquid Karma though, forget it, that shit is chunky). So far I've been pretty happy with their lineup, and their prices are usually less than the bigger name products. They seem to be getting the job done.

Great White is from Plant Revolution, they include the bacteria and the fungi in the same mix for about $40. You only need to add a little to your system and they will colonize the area. So a little container will last a long time. You would have to buy two of the AN products to get the same thing and spend 5x's as much. Although with the DM Zone, you can't use them (also can't use H2O2 in the res). Using the Great White and Hygrozyme, my res is clear (actually pink, the CES base is red so you get a pink tint) and the roots are real healthy. Although I haven't peeked at the roots in awhile, I'll take pics after the chop. They will probably have a little color to them from the Liquid Karma, but they were healthy white roots at at check.

If I had the space I would be building an undercurrent style DWC system. Maybe when Heks moves out you can put one is that room.

Undercurrent style DWC, sounds sort of what i with no knowledge want to put together with 3 dwc buckets, and recirc through a chiller..tell me more, or point me to one so i can see what it's about!! lost my map and can't find my way around.... :morenutes:

Hydro, sometimes i think you need to slow down.. i chase this thread along and it's 1 long post after another by you haha.. WTF.... it's almost like you are just having a gang/bang of a chat all by your lonesome! you need some cookie nookie buddy!!!

lol bro! you act like Im online all day! I usually check this thing once in the morning once in the afternoon and once in the evening! Dude im just a fast typer with a lot on his mind when it comes to growing. But fuck yeah I need to get laid.....Neighbor girl just had her hot friend move in with her so maybe thatll change....lol. Undercurrent RDWC systems are sick and slowly but surely i'll be building up mine. Obviously right now all I have going on is one plant with one chiller its circulating through but im excited to be changing things up next grow with the twins...that is going on right now btw, you can find the link in my signature, but ya those two gilrs willl be RDWC ing together so im excited and can't wait to check that out!

I ran out of co2 today and Dont have the funds to refill the fucker till thursday morning :-( sigh...im sure they'lll be fine for two days without co2.

If you're going to make your own undercurrent system you'll need buckets and uniseals, and a good external pump and an air pump that can supply air to each bucket and the res. The rest of the parts are at your local Home Improvement store. The uniseals are easy to find online and cheaper than bulkheads. Aquarium supply stores will have them.

I'll send you an IM with the links.

If you're going to make your own undercurrent system you'll need buckets and uniseals, and a good external pump and an air pump that can supply air to each bucket and the res. The rest of the parts are at your local Home Improvement store. The uniseals are easy to find online and cheaper than bulkheads. Aquarium supply stores will have them.

I'll send you an IM with the links.

please send me the links as well as i've never seen a uniseal before and i'll be switching to an undurcurrent rdwc system soon....well I believe thats what its called. Its that set up where you have like 6 individual buckets all connected to each other with a resivoure at the end that has an external pump pulling water through the system from the external resivour but that pump thats pulling from the resi is dumping back in that same res. Correct?
like this video:

YouTube - Undercurrent recirculating DWC System

yeah dude, RO is definetly next. I am going to start researching them since I know little about them. Is it true that you can use an RO to cleans and re-use your old nutrient water that so far I've had to throw away down the toilet every time I change nutrients :-/.

P.S I love the fact that I get to smoke pot at work with my co workers and half the time I get to edit from home, atleast whenever I want to so I can keep an eye on my PH :) Though its definetly doing fine without me and its always good to let it drift up to around 6.2-6.3 before taking it down. Though when im home I try to keep it at a constant 5.7-5.8 as i've read that those are the best numbers to keep it at durring flower. And with a small res it usually only take about 1/2 ml every 2 hours to nock it back down to that number since in that ammount of time it'll drift up to 5.9/6.0.

P.S what do you do for a living? if you dont mind me asking. No worries if you wanna keep it confidential I understand.

Hydro.

yeah dude, RO is definetly next. I am going to start researching them since I know little about them. Is it true that you can use an RO to cleans and re-use your old nutrient water that so far I've had to throw away down the toilet every time I change nutrients :-/.

P.S I love the fact that I get to smoke pot at work with my co workers and half the time I get to edit from home, atleast whenever I want to so I can keep an eye on my PH :) Though its definetly doing fine without me and its always good to let it drift up to around 6.2-6.3 before taking it down. Though when im home I try to keep it at a constant 5.7-5.8 as i've read that those are the best numbers to keep it at durring flower. And with a small res it usually only take about 1/2 ml every 2 hours to nock it back down to that number since in that ammount of time it'll drift up to 5.9/6.0.

P.S what do you do for a living? if you dont mind me asking. No worries if you wanna keep it confidential I understand.

Hydro.

I think putting old nutes through an R/O would greatly reduce the life of the membrane, plus you would need to buy a pump that would produce about 30psi+, which aren't too expensive but another hassle.

My pH never drifts much. In fact I had to put a little pH up in there today to get it up where I'd like to see it for finishing. It runs about a constant 5.3-5.4, I think much of that is due to the top-up res that is replacing water into the nute res as the plants take up the H2O.

I use my old nutes on my garden, the plants love to get the hand-me-downs.

As far as what I do for a living, well I need to be as vague as possible. I run a small company that does very specialized work. Much more than that and it is very easy to figure out who I am (there aren't many people who do what I do, and I taught most of them that do).

I think putting old nutes through an R/O would greatly reduce the life of the membrane, plus you would need to buy a pump that would produce about 30psi+, which aren't too expensive but another hassle.

My pH never drifts much. In fact I had to put a little pH up in there today to get it up where I'd like to see it for finishing. It runs about a constant 5.3-5.4, I think much of that is due to the top-up res that is replacing water into the nute res as the plants take up the H2O.

I use my old nutes on my garden, the plants love to get the hand-me-downs.

As far as what I do for a living, well I need to be as vague as possible. I run a small company that does very specialized work. Much more than that and it is very easy to figure out who I am (there aren't many people who do what I do, and I taught most of them that do).

I understand, I understand your charlie Sheen! Dont trip I wont tell anyone! Lol naw just kidding you don't act anywhere that crazy but I gotta say that's pretty cool that you run a successful business. A lot of people TALK about doing that sort of thing, I am involved with a small business right now, well im doing the editing thing for a small workshop....business that so far has received some solid money in the form of sponsorship from some big company's so every day is exciting and they pay me well, plus I get to hang out with friends all day and smoke weed here and there so its not a bad gig at all.

As far as RO'ing old water hopefully in the future they devise something because honestly that would save me from wasting A TON of water. Though I am happy to note that Hydroponics is much more water efficient than soil or out door growing thats for sure. Well..I know that from what I've read.

I have a pretty cool idea about building these "hydroponic vegetable garden towers" on top of grocery stores. It would have to be a self sufficient set up so the idea is to have a big fish tank at the base for nutrient production with a big enough pump to pump a bunch of water at least...15' high then the water would spiral down around the tower...in a giant cork-screw fashion and on the way down there would be a plant site every 14 inches or something like that and in between the plants would be miniature paddles that the water would run through spinning a turbine or w.e and powering the pump that pumps the water back to the top of the tower. If that didn't provide enough power maybe also add a solar panel to the top of the tower to catch extra energy from the sun. anyways water finally hits the res with the fish crapping in it and the cycle repeats itself. And the result is a bunch of grocery stores with extremely fresh produce and it cuts down on pollution from trucks delivering that food from far away farms also.

just a stoner idea. Video finished rendering. Back to work.

Hydrologist.

Back
Top Bottom